Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 10:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Prop 73 in California, Children have to have consent to abort, what do u think?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prop 73 in California, Children have to have consent to abort, what do u think?  (Read 15397 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: October 18, 2005, 09:40:54 PM »

Prop. 73 Would Change California's Abortion Law
Parental Notification Would Be Required

POSTED: 5:17 pm PDT October 13, 2005
UPDATED: 10:05 am PDT October 14, 2005

SAN DIEGO -- A controversial proposition on this November's ballot would prevent teens from having abortions without parental notification.

Proposition 73 would require a doctor to notify parents 48 hours before performing an underage abortion. Supporters say the legislation would force teens to get proper medical care.

"A child under the age of 18 cannot get a tooth pulled; they can't even get an aspirin from a nurse without their parent's permission," said Prop. 73 supporter Maria Garcia. "But they can get a surgical abortion without either parent knowing. Statistics show that most of these girls that obtain these abortions do not go to their follow-up appointments, which puts them at risk."

Proposition 73 opponents say the legislation will not protect teens.

"In the real world, some teenagers can't tell their parents," said Vince Hall, of Planned Parenthood. "It might be because they're from a home that has alcoholism or drug abuse or violence, or they might be so afraid of disappointing their parents and make a decision to terminate the pregnancy on their own. They might take the trolley to Mexico or they might attempt to self-induce an abortion, which has grave consequences for their health and for their life."

According to Planned Parenthood, California's teen pregnancy rate has declined by 41 percent in the last 10 years.

What do u think?

I feel the parent has a right to know

I would like to hear the opinons of parents on here and everyone else.

Do parents have a right to know?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 12:34:28 AM by D? » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 10:05:38 PM »

In my opinion, parents have an absolute right to know and be involved in the process.  Until the child is an adult, her parents are responsible for her.  However, if a child needs an abortion for life threatening reasons or any other reason deemed acceptable by Californians (I personally support abortion for any reason in the first trimester) that child should be able to appeal to a judge who can override her parents.  Responsibility is a large tent of issues and problems.  Allowing a teenager to full around and use abortion as birth control behind their parents back isn't justified nor do I believe anyone can provide me with a reason as to why the parents shouldn't be informed in the process.  If for no other reason than liability, the parents should be involved in the process.
Surfrider
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:08:32 AM »

I think prop 73 sounds great.  I haven't read the entire text though.  It seems like there should be some exceptions for sexual abuse.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 01:06:28 AM »

Yes I think it would be good, but there should be possible expections. (Religion and other problems within the family)

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 01:44:09 AM »

I'm undecided, because some parents are volatile. They may hurt their child or kick her out of the home. I think it should be the girl's choice. Her parents should be notified only if she consents to it.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 01:51:54 AM »

I'm undecided, because some parents are volatile. They may hurt their child or kick her out of the home. I think it should be the girl's choice. Her parents should be notified only if she consents to it.

um.. then there wouldn't be any point of this law, would it?
If she wouldn't want her parents to be notified I think the girl should have good reasons for it, instead of "I don't wanna"

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 01:55:07 AM »

That's what I meant. It shouldn't be a law, but rather an option.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 02:02:33 AM »

But I think me as a father would have the right to know, even if my "little" girl would be araid to tell me.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 02:30:15 AM »

But I think me as a father would have the right to know, even if my "little" girl would be araid to tell me.

I agree with you. I would definitely want to know if my child was being operated on. I would never hurt my child for being pregnant, and I know you wouldn't either. However, we have to consider the other side of the spectrum. In reality there are some very non-supportive and aggressive parents out there. Would it do more harm than good?

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 02:48:56 AM »

I agree with you. I would definitely want to know if my child was being operated on. I would never hurt my child for being pregnant, and I know you wouldn't either. However, we have to consider the other side of the spectrum. In reality there are some very non-supportive and aggressive parents out there. Would it do more harm than good?

would it then be such a bad thing that it would be known how unsuportive, violent or agressive parents she has?

It's eihter that parents will be informed or that she sees someone to talk to someone who makes the decissions will they be informed or not.

POPmetal
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 03:14:26 AM »

However, we have to consider the other side of the spectrum. In reality there are some very non-supportive and aggressive parents out there.

There are also some very greedy abortion providers out there.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 03:30:17 AM »

would it then be such a bad thing that it would be known how unsuportive, violent or agressive parents she has?

We live in a flawed society. Not all families are cut from the same cloth.

The law seems kind of strange to me, because even though the parents are notified, they can't keep their daughter from having the abortion. She can still have the operation without their permission.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 03:33:00 AM »

I'm sure there are.

Believe me, I don't support abortion, but I do support the rights of people.
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 03:47:07 AM »

It's up to you to become the kind of father to encourage your girl to tell you about these personnal things !
If I was to vote I'd vote against it !

The force ... the force ...
POPmetal
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 03:55:39 AM »

I'm sure there are.

So everyone who supports prop 73 must be against "the rights of people"?

In the vast majority of cases, the parents hold the interest of their daughter dearer than an abortion provider who stands to lose a profit if the baby is given up for adoption.
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 04:00:21 AM »

I'm sure there are.

In our opinion well yes - the right of a young girl to dispose of its own body.

POPmetal
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 04:07:24 AM »

I'm sure there are.

But prop 73 does not ban her from having the abortion, it just requires that her parents are notified. And even then prop 73 allows her not to do so by petitioning a juvenile court for a waiver if it is the case that notifying her parents is not in her best interest. How is that against the so called "right of a young girl to dispose of its own body" confused
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 04:10:59 AM by popmetal » Logged
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 04:19:57 AM »

I'm sure there are.

But prop 73 does not ban her from having the abortion, it just requires that her parents are notified. And even then prop 73 allows her not to do so by petitioning a juvenile court for a waiver if it is the case that notifying her parents is not in her best interest. How is that against the so called "right of a young girl to dispose of its own body" confused

ok pratical case now - if she doesn't want to keep the baby but the parents are religious and against abortions ? Do you the girl will have a normal life w/ her parents once the abortion's done ? I guess not. I still think that it's up to her to come up with an already difficult decision to make.

POPmetal
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 04:22:44 AM »

I'm sure there are.

ok pratical case now - if she doesn't want to keep the baby but the parents are religious and against abortions ? Do you the girl will have a normal life w/ her parents once the abortion's done ? I guess not. I still think that it's up to her to come up with an already difficult decision to make.

Perhaps she will, perhaps she won't. But how is notifying them against the so called "right of a young girl to dispose of its own body," which is what you said?
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 04:27:08 AM »

I'm sure there are.

Perhaps she will, perhaps she won't. But how is notifying them against the so called "right of a young girl to dispose of its own body," which is what you said?

If parents are pro-life - how can you expect the girl to make her own decision - she is underage and still needs her parents right ? How are the chances, if her parents don't agree that she gets the abortion ?  Roll Eyes
If she does - she's courageous enough to go against her parents' values but she'll be living in hell, so to speak.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: