Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "The band that time forgot": reviews/comments
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The band that time forgot": reviews/comments  (Read 11965 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 12:00:49 PM »

I finished the book last night and have been left totally underwhelmed.

Tons of factual inaccuracies, no real insight on anything, uncited sources and endless psychoanalysis (some wildly unfair and most unfounded) on Axl by the author.  

Virtually nothing on the new band, it's dynamics how it came to be etc.

The entire book lacks any kind of point of view, it's a collection of scattered tidbits and author speculations at best.

It's basically a regurgitation of some real events and alleged happenings surrounding the band over the years.

In my opinion, this book isn't worth it unless you have absolutely zero knowledge of the band or you're a diehard collector.

It's just not very good. no

I can say in all honesty the best part of the book for me was the back cover.  Axl's always liked cool bands...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 12:04:42 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
gkza
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2004, 11:16:48 PM »

Was wondering if any of you folks have checked out the book The Band that time forgot.  I have been a rabid GNR fan since I was in the 4th grade (1986).  Ive pretty much read every published piece of literature about this band as well as learning new shit about the band from coming on this fine site.

Just wondering if there is any historical insight ( axl and izzy during chilhood, izzy's departure, axl in recent "reclusion" years) that i dont already know.  i am basically a GNR historian , so I dont want to waste my time.  Or is it worth revisisiting the old news?

Let me know what you know...

--
Gkza, NYC
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 07:28:28 PM »

Hey guys, nice board! I like it, it is the same basically. I think it is better though with the better statistical things.

I got that Biography today, I've browsed it well, I'm only into the first 16 pages or so. Does anyone else have this book?

I think it will be a nice thing to have for anyone. I noticed that they didn't include the 2002 U.S. tour they did. THey have the leeds festival and then it just sums up the November 7 - December 7th dates. I didn't like that.

It does have some kickass pictures in the book though, if anyone wants me to scan them and send them to Jarmo I will.

It sucks it is a "Unauthorized" Bio.

TR

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 07:40:20 PM »

Check out this quote by Slash... it just makes you think about how things were in Guns N' Roses.

"Axl's whole visionary style, as far as his input in Guns N' Roses is competely different from mine. I just like to play guitar, write a good riff, go out there and play as opposed to presenting an image."

Just it was Axl and then Gn'R like VH1 said. People like to dispute this stuff, there it is from Slash's mouth.

I'll post more quote if you guys want me to later on when I read this thing.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 10:20:25 PM »

I don?t like the title..."The band that time forgot"? I really don?t think time forgot this band, I truly believe, and I guess I speak for basically every fan, that this band is timeless.

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2004, 11:29:52 PM »

I don?t like the title..."The band that time forgot"? I really don?t think time forgot this band, I truly believe, and I guess I speak for basically every fan, that this band is timeless.

I agree I hear GnR on the radio all the time I don't think they are the band time forgot. I was thinking about picking it up, but I don't need another rehash of the same information I want new information.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 06:37:52 AM »

I always figured by 'The band that time forgot' they were referring to how long it took the band to grow up, almost like 'Time' turned a blind eye while they were being the lunatics that they were.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2004, 07:00:07 PM »

I finished the book a few days ago. Not impressed at all.

Seems like it's been thrown together from reading articles (many of them are available on this site).

The author had also listed all the shows GN'R played (maybe he got the info from gnrontour.com since at least one of the pics he used was from there), some bootlegs, a discography and some links to various GN'R sites.

Wouldn't recommend it to anybody, there are better GN'R books out there.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
vote slash
Opening Act

slash for president

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2004, 09:56:37 AM »

I've just read the complete unauthorised biography of guns n' roses called 'the band that time forgot' - thought it was good on the whole, it's just good to see other people haven't forgotten about them and are still writing books about them. ok

anyone else read it? what are you're comments?

"....with all the changing seasons of my life
maybe I'll get it right next time..."
insupportofaxl
Optimist
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2004, 01:58:02 PM »

I've just read the complete unauthorised biography of guns n' roses called 'the band that time forgot' - thought it was good on the whole, it's just good to see other people haven't forgotten about them and are still writing books about them. ok

anyone else read it? what are you're comments?

I read it earlier this year and I like it as well. 

Paul Stenning, the author is a cool guy too.  His email address is in the book.   Drop him a line and tell him you liked his book.   ok
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2004, 04:14:25 PM »

I still agree with what I said about the book in my above post.

I guess it's an ok book if you're a GN'R "newbie" and it's also recently published so you get some stories that other (older) books are missing.

But I still think some parts of the book look more like a web page than an actual book.

I guess it works while we wait for the "definitive" GN'R biography. Something as good as Walk This Way, The Dirt, Come As You Are....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2004, 06:48:06 PM »

Below is my review of this book which I posted on amazon.co.uk:

I saw this book just last week sitting at a bargain price and picked it up, having never really seen a "true" GNR biography before.

I'm quite a big fan of the band, but everything I know about their history etc. has been pieced together from various interviews/articles over the years, so I was excited to finally see a conglomerated attempt to document the band's history.

In essence there is nothing wrong with the intention of this book, and it may indeed prove to be a very good and informative read for a casual GNR fan. For the more "experienced" fan, the book just does not do the band justice.

My personal opinion of it is that it focuses way too much on Axl Rose, and his traumatic childhood. It comes across in a way that the author is almost trying to psycho-analyse every GNR lyric, and every quote, and relate them to Axl's personal problems.

Of course the task of writing a well-balanced GNR biography is never going to be easy given Rose's somewhat reclusive nature, I just think that there is more relevant information out there that could have gone into this book other than the chapters full of psycho-babble that at times make you question what book it is you are actually reading. There is as much star quality, and just as many interviews and anecdotes from the other original band members (Slash, Duff and Izzy in particular) aside from Axl Rose, which makes this book feel rather lop-sided.

Another qualm that has already been mentioned is the sloppy amount of spelling and grammatical errors that are present. Various quotes and pieces of information are sometimes repeated from one chapter to the next, giving the impression that each chapter was written by a different person, after which they simply threw them all together in this final, somewhat random order.

The above complaint aside, this might have been better if it was under the guise of an Axl Rose biography, but as a biography of the life and times of the GNR we all know and love, it falls some distance short I'm afraid.

Interestingly, the author posted a comment on amazon in response to the number of negative reviews concerning his work... it makes quite interesting reading!

Anyway, I strand by my review above, I had a real struggle finishing this book; the attempted psycho-analysis of Axl is just uneducated and uninteresting. I want to read a rock n' roll band biography, not a psychology textbook.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Brighty
Opening Act

jobby

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2004, 11:15:49 PM »

fucking garbage, this book says nothing .

i mean really nothing enough with the psychoanylising the mans a cereal box therapist.

Shite. rant

just because its brown doesnt mean its shite
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2004, 08:46:53 AM »

It was given to me at christmas and I read it yesterday, was wondering what you thought of it?? I also read the one by danny sugerman and over the top gnr story about ten years ago..

I have my opinions from the book and I know he never talked to axl, but he did have so many quotes.. I really liked the way he broke down the songs from the illusion era...

So before I get into my feeling towards the book I wanted to know what others thought and how legit the book is.. I aks because I knew axl was out there, but this book puts a entire new spin on being out there..
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2004, 09:14:29 AM »

I got the book a while ago.  I do think it's pretty good, although I could do without some of the psycho-analysis the author does on Axl!!  It gets a bit ridiculous, I mean he's never met the bloke.  Other than that, the format's good and there are loads of interesting quotes and stories.  It's worth getting if you don't have any GNR books definately.  It's probably also the only one with anything regarding the new lineup.

Nice gig-listing and discography at the back as well.  I was shocked when I read they'd played Bristol  hihi

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »

I got the book a while ago.? I do think it's pretty good, although I could do without some of the psycho-analysis the author does on Axl!!? It gets a bit ridiculous, I mean he's never met the bloke.? Other than that, the format's good and there are loads of interesting quotes and stories.? It's worth getting if you don't have any GNR books definately.? It's probably also the only one with anything regarding the new lineup.

Nice gig-listing and discography at the back as well.? I was shocked when I read they'd played Bristol? hihi

Yeah the duide does analyze everything axl says and tries to figure him out.. I have to say he's no different then alot of us on the net ,we all argue with what we feel we know by basing things on what has happened.. I did like his one illusion album list..
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 10:28:22 AM »

Just to let you know Paul Stenning's reiussed version of 'GUNS N' ROSES: THE BAND THAT TIME FORGOT', gets an absolute slating in Classic Rock this month (1/10).

Geoff Barton calls the updated chapter on Velvet Revolver story 'a cut and paste job', and isn't amused by Paul Stenning's whinge at not being able to interview Axl and comparing him to Wacko Jacko. Finally says 'As Stenning complains in his foreword: 'It can be difficult writing an unauthorised book.' We're sure it can. Let alone mastering the English Language'
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 10:37:17 AM by AdZ » Logged

Here today...ready to rock
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2005, 11:01:44 AM »

Let alone mastering the English Language

hihi
refreshing to hear some fair comment about GN'R.
Geoff Barton seems unbiased and sane. A sign of a good trend in rock critics?

Thanks Scabbie! ok
BaDoBsEsSiOn418
Rocker

Yowza!

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 11:44:27 AM »

I actually just bought The Band That Time Forgot, the revised version, and I did notice a few grammatical errors in just the first few pages, but who cares?  I just wanted to read a GN'R bio, and it's pretty good so far.  Who cares about the VR stuff.

Why's everybody so obsessed with the album?  Can't you just be happy that Axl gets to hang out with rich fashion designers? -MotherGooseLuvR
snooze72
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2005, 06:16:49 PM »

Just to let you know Paul Stenning's reiussed version of 'GUNS N' ROSES: THE BAND THAT TIME FORGOT', gets an absolute slating in Classic Rock this month (1/10).

Geoff Barton calls the updated chapter on Velvet Revolver story 'a cut and paste job', and isn't amused by Paul Stenning's whinge at not being able to interview Axl and comparing him to Wacko Jacko. Finally says 'As Stenning complains in his foreword: 'It can be difficult writing an unauthorised book.' We're sure it can. Let alone mastering the English Language'

Did Barton happen to point out that Stenning literally stole almost all of his material from other writers and didn't credit at least half of them?? Its old news he tried to put across as his own -- and did it badly.? Don't know about the revised version, but he couldn't even get the name of Axl's family members right, which is pretty pathetic considering the names were correct in the sources he lifted the info from.? ?Some deep research job.

Even in this thread, comments that people liked, like Slash's quote about "Axl's whole visionary style..."? was lifted directly from Rolling Stone.? Did he interview anybody at all himself?? The only thing he can call his own is his analysis stuff, and people here on the board have done that just as well.? ?

I hate seeing this guy getting credit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: