Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:57:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "The band that time forgot": reviews/comments
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The band that time forgot": reviews/comments  (Read 11966 times)
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« on: May 14, 2004, 11:47:04 AM »

It's out now, and I've just finished reading it.

Despite a few factual inaccuracies, I would say it's one of the best GN'R biographies I've read so far. It also has the advantage of exhaustivity since it covers everything from the early days to the making of Chinese Democracy and the latest tour. Of course you don't learn much if you've followed the band for a while, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to regulars of this message board  Wink
I would say it's relatively biased in favour of Axl, for a change. At least the author delved into a pretty deep analysis of his personality, and made a good job out of it IMO.

The book also features :
- a full tour calendar
- a discography (not exhaustive)
- a selection of bootlegs
- a list of other GN'R-related books
- a list of fan websites (damn, no HTGTH  rant )
- charts placings for the US
- pictures of the band, concert flyers, bootleg covers and a few collectibles.

Speaking of collectibles, I advise you not to trust what this guy says about quoted values on the market. The few prices he mentions are totally insane !!! For example, he lists a promo flexi from 1987 as being worth ?1,000 !! Unless it's a printing error, he's gotta be nuts, the value of this item is nowhere near that price !  Shocked

And since I'm picky, I have one last complaint : spelling, and punctuation ! For God's sake, has this guy ever heard of comas? I'm not saying there's none, but not nearly enough, and it makes the reading rather bizarre and unpleasant in some places.

But overall, judging on pure content, I think it's worth a read. For those who doubted of the quality of this book or those who want to learn more about the band, I suggest you to have a look at it  Wink

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 12:12:06 PM »

Excellent! Thanx for the review.

I've ordered it on Amazon.com but I'm still waiting for the book... Sad

Are there any exclusive pics of the current band members? I would like to see professional shots of the last tour...

starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 12:44:42 PM »

You made me interested in buying this book  Wink Until this moment I thought it's crap, because many of this board members were telling that about the company that put out the book
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 12:46:31 PM by starchild_666 » Logged
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 01:12:38 PM »

Are there any exclusive pics of the current band members? I would like to see professional shots of the last tour...

Nope, no exclusive pics unfortunately. Actually, there's nothing exclusive in it, so people who know the band by heart and are not collectors might not be interested in it.  It's just a good summary of GN'R's history  Smiley

Garden
Opening Act

Oooooohhhh .......

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 01:24:20 PM »

Merchi Cheesy
kockstar99
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 02:06:30 PM »

where did you get this book?? Amazon says its still not published??
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 03:23:06 PM »

where did you get this book?? Amazon says its still not published??

I bought it from amazon.co.uk . They had it earlier because it's a british book.

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 03:27:35 PM »

They must have ordered only a small batch of copies because now when I go to Amazon UK it says "available in 3 to 5 weeks"...damn! I guess I'll have to wait.

I'm used to it! Grin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 03:28:21 PM by Will » Logged

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 03:31:28 PM »

They must have ordered only a small batch of copies because now when I go to Amazon UK it says "available in 3 to 5 weeks"..

Yeah, I saw that too. I was lucky to get it last Monday, but I had preordered it so maybe it made a difference.

Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 03:50:59 PM »

Pandora, what is said about CD, new band members and the 2002 tour? Anything new to us?
Thanks in advance. ok

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 04:19:01 PM »

Thanx for the review.

We will always have ebay if people don't feel like waiting.

I might buy it, just for the hell of it. I own a shit load of GNR books, one more is not going to hurt - especially since it has info and comments on the recent  tour and making of CD - actually this leads me to the following question, does the author have an opinion on why the 2002 tour was aborted?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 04:20:39 PM by Chinasky » Logged
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 04:53:40 PM »

does the author have an opinion on why the 2002 tour was aborted?

No, he doesn't really have an explanation for it, he just mentions the facts, which might be a good thing since nobody really knows what happened.

Concerning the making of CD, the author mainly took quotes from different participants, like Tommy, Brian May or Moby. But they're not new, we've already read them in articles.

kockstar99
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 05:47:17 PM »

No, he doesn't really have an explanation for it, he just mentions the facts, which might be a good thing since nobody really knows what happened.
I think its prob all still in litigation for lawsuits..  hes prob still got lawsuits against either him or Guns n Roses from Clear Channel, Philly, Vancouver,  and prob who ever lost money from the cancelled dates....  fucking lawsuits.
GlynC
Opening Act

I'm a Izzy wannabe

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 08:24:25 AM »

thats a helpfull review, im gonna buy it just to catch up on thing si didnt know coz i dont really have the time to find out everytrhin that goes on.
WalrusOct9
Headliner

one, two, three, fourteen

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 09:48:56 AM »

Someday, someone's going to write a tell-all book about what's happened with Axl/Gn'R in the last few years.  Some crew person, or former band member, or something.  It's inevitable.  I just don't know what's taking them so long.  

Confidentiality agreements and legal documents can only go so far in the internet world...i'm really surprised no one has come out and said anything about the 2002 tour or what Axl's been up to.  There still has to be people in the studio with the band, and lots of people on the tour, certainly a couple of them would have something interesting to say.  It's only a matter of time, I suppose.
Buckethead Superstar
Headliner

No, I wont be told anymore

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 06:13:39 PM »

i got the book about 4 weeks ago and its a gem...its really good stuff...ive just spent the past 3 hours reading it listening to randomly selected tracks from UYI 1, UYI 2 and Contraband...its been a great evening...try it

release the album...nuff said
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 09:05:27 PM »

Thankx, I?ll nuy it (if I can) to see if what you say is true yes

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
badapple81
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 07:46:42 AM »

Does anyone know if anyone in Australia stocks this book? I dont want to order it and pay shipping from the US  no
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 09:58:33 AM »

I bought it. I read it I gave it away.

Most of the facts are correct, but the guy seems to constantly try and analyze Axl and he's never met him. Yes, give a personal opinion on the man, but he built up several pretty stupid theorys (the guy knows dick about psychology), and then passed them off as fact. Outside that, the general writing was pretty subpar and uncompelling.

For a gn'r fan it's got nothing you don't already know; and for a non gn'r fan it would be too crap to bother finishing.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 12:25:27 PM »

This is a link to the amazon.co.uk page of the new GN'R book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1842402463/qid=1086970675/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-0934255-3644421

If it's been posted b4 then please forgive me.  I just liked reading it, especially where he rips into the press!  Q magazine has no place to criticise, you should see the drivel on their tv channel!!

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: