Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 09:11:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Terrorist group: "France is our enemy No 1"
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terrorist group: "France is our enemy No 1"  (Read 7461 times)
POPmetal
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »

France is 'enemy No 1'
27/09/2005 22:42? - (SA)?

Paris - An Algerian Islamist organisation, the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC), has issued a call for action against France, which it describes as "enemy No 1", intelligence officials said on Tuesday.

"The only way to teach France to behave is jihad and the Islamic martyr," said the group's leader, Abu Mossab Abdelwadoud, also known as Abdelmalek Dourkdal, in an internet message earlier this month.

He was quoted as saying: "France is our enemy No 1, the enemy of our religion, the enemy of our community."

France was mentioned 15 times in the text and the Algerian government was also targeted, said the officials.

Nine people detained in a series of raids west of Paris on Monday are suspected members of the GSPC, officials have said.

They were being questioned for a second day on Tuesday at the headquarters of the DST domestic intelligence agency.

Interior minister Nicolas Sarkozy said on Monday the risk of terrorist attack in France is "at a very high level... There are cells operating on our territory".

The GSPC was created from a split in the Armed Islamic Group, the main force in Algeria's long insurgency, which was also responsible for a series of bombings in France in 1995.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,6119,2-10-1462_1807396,00.html
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 09:37:52 PM »

........And I always thought France was the most lenient on terrorism.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 11:18:12 PM »

They're probably running out of countries to target.  Undecided

Fuck 'Em All.
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 03:04:44 AM »

Guess you were wrong on this one ... many people were arrested near Paris a week ago. And the banning of the islamic veil for  girls in schools wasn't well accepted in arabian countries ...

The force ... the force ...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 03:15:47 AM »

Guess you were wrong on this one ... many people were arrested near Paris a week ago. And the banning of the islamic veil for  girls in schools wasn't well accepted in arabian countries ...

People always "forget" facts when it suits their needs......

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 04:07:32 AM »

Does it surprise you?. Yes France is a target, like every non-islamic state. It's a war. Nothing surprising. We've heard about possible terrorist attacks in France for years.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
POPmetal
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 06:22:40 AM »

It doesn't surprise me at all.

And also, I don't think France has been the most lenient on terrorism. Particularly on the home front, France has arguably been more aggressive than America. Unlike Britain and America, which have handicapped themselves by caring more about terrorists' civil liberties than their citizens' right to life, French authorities don't have qualms about harassing people they suspect of being extremists. In the US, people would scream bloody murder that God forbid a middle easterner was "profiled" Roll Eyes We could learn a lot from Fracne when it comes to fighting terrorism domestically.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 06:26:35 AM by popmetal » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 06:29:20 AM »

And also, I don't think France has been the most lenient on terrorism. Particularly on the home front, France has arguably been more aggressive than America. Unlike Britain and America, which have handicapped themselves by caring more about terrorists' civil liberties than their citizens' right to life, French authorities don't have qualms about harassing people they suspect of being extremists. In the US, people would scream bloody murder that God forbid a middle easterner was "profiled" Roll Eyes We could learn a lot from Fracne when it comes to fighting terrorism domestically.

I have to agree for once, i think France's slightly less cowardly approach to dealing with terrorism is something the rest of the world could at the very least take a long hard look at

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 08:19:51 AM »

See my thread on profiling to get the liberal point of view of that Izzy. 

It would  never work here with leftist crying foul and the alcu protecting them as well.  I hope France is successful with their approach (I think they will be more so than the US if they can profile without being called racists). 

sandman
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 10:08:59 AM »

oh yeah, god forbid we profile.  Roll Eyes

here's a great editorial on this very issue, courtesy of Michael Smerconish. It appeared in yesterday's Philadelphia Daily News.

Michael Smerconish | CONGRESSMAN, PLEASE DO SOMETHING!

IF YOU agree with this, please clip it, sign it and mail it to your congressman or U.S. senator.

Dear Rep. ________________:

Washington, D.C. 20515

Or (cross out one)

Dear Sen. ________________:

Washington, D.C. 20510

I'm one of many people who believe that the forces of political correctness play too dominant a role in determining who is selected for secondary screening at airports. Current policy ignores the common traits of those who threaten the U.S. and wastes precious resources on individuals who pose no risk.

To make this point, I wish to share with you the details of the recent commercial travel of U.S. Army Capt. Adam Cubbage. After you have acquainted yourself with these facts, I would like to hear from you as to whether you agree with me that Capt. Cubbage's story is symptomatic of an airport-screening system that remains misguided four years post-9/11, and I would like to know what you are prepared to do to bring about change.

Capt. Cubbage is a 29-year-old soldier serving with the Army's 173rd Airborne Brigade. The 173rd is the smallest combat unit in the world but has played a frontline role in the war on terror. Nine of its 1,000 members have recently given their lives in service to our nation.

Cap. Cubbage and his fellow soldiers parachuted into northern Iraq shortly after the invasion began. The 173rd fought two divisions of Saddam's Republican Guard. It captured an air field and secured oil supplies. Capt. Cubbage was awarded the combat parachute badge and a Bronze Star for his service in Iraq. He and his unit have since been deployed to Afghanistan.

Capt. Cubbage was recently given two weeks' leave to come home to Philadelphia and celebrate the birth of his first child, Adam Jr., who weighed in at a healthy 7 pounds, 12 ounces.

At the end of his leave, on Oct. 9, Capt. Cubbage arrived at Terminal D, Philadelphia International Airport, to begin his long journey back to Afghanistan. He was taken to the airport by his parents (his father, Patrick Cubbage, is himself a veteran of the 173rd).

These three members of the Cubbage family arrived two hours before Capt. Cubbage's 8 a.m. departure. The first leg of his journey was to be aboard a commercial flight on Air Tran.

Please picture this scene: Capt. Cubbage, proud new father in his BDUs (battle dress uniform), with his parents!

Capt. Cubbage presented his identification, orders and tickets at the Air Tran counter. He and his parents were given gate passes. In line, before reaching the next screening point, Capt. Cubbage again showed his ID.

Upon approaching the magnetometer, and after showing identification for the third time, Capt. Cubbage and his parents were told by a TSA representative that they had been identified for secondary, or random, screening! This American hero was then asked to remove his combat boots and outer garments to be fully "wanded."

I find the treatment of Capt. Cubbage to be appalling, driven by political correctness and disrespectful of the uniform this proud American was wearing.

You have to wonder who is NOT being subjected to secondary screening as time and effort are wasted on a man like Adam Cubbage.

The sad reality of 9/11 is that America was victimized by individuals who had ethnicity, gender and appearance in common. Capt. Cubbage possesses none of those characteristics. What possible justification can exist for subjecting a military man in uniform with his orders in hand to random screening?

It's time to stop the charade that is airport screening and focus on those who present a real threat.

I want to know what you intend to stop the selection of soldiers like Capt. Cubbage for random screening at airports, and I await your reply.

Sincerely,

? _________________________

Address:

? __________________________

? ________________________

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 10:35:34 AM »

See my thread on profiling to get the liberal point of view of that Izzy.?

I'll give ur neo-Nazi posts a miss i think peace

I am indifferent to profiling, but a mature approach to terroism seems to be beyond the UK/US so maybe France's ideas should be carefully assesed - they must have some sense after all as they didn't invade Iraq Tongue

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 12:39:15 PM »

Actually, it's not profiling if the police, or whatever law enforcing organisation is in charge, actually have evidence that the suspect is a member of a terrorist cell or there is evidence that the suspect may be involved in terrorist activity. The French authorities did indeed have such evidence to support their arrest and did not arrest them because of their appearence, nationality or skin colour. Read what you posted.

Nine people detained in a series of raids west of Paris on Monday are suspected members of the GSPC, officials have said.

Interior minister Nicolas Sarkozy said on Monday the risk of terrorist attack in France is "at a very high level... There are cells operating on our territory".

The GSPC was created from a split in the Armed Islamic Group, the main force in Algeria's long insurgency, which was also responsible for a series of bombings in France in 1995.

There was clearly efficient evidence, besides the suspects being Muslims, to support their suspicions.
POPmetal
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 04:00:53 PM »

Actually, it's not profiling if the police, or whatever law enforcing organisation is in charge, actually have evidence that the suspect is a member of a terrorist cell or there is evidence that the suspect may be involved in terrorist activity. The French authorities did indeed have such evidence to support their arrest and did not arrest them because of their appearence, nationality or skin colour. Read what you posted.

There was clearly efficient evidence, besides the suspects being Muslims, to support their suspicions.

I never said this was an example of profiling Roll Eyes
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 06:20:25 PM »

Don't try to make me look like a liar, you and other people commented on the French's tactics of counter-terrorism and claimed that in the US their methods would be classed as profiling. Despite what you may think I'm not a fool, I didn't just bring profiling up from nowhere.

French authorities don't have qualms about harassing people they suspect of being extremists. In the US, people would scream bloody murder that God forbid a middle easterner was "profiled" Roll Eyes We could learn a lot from Fracne when it comes to fighting terrorism domestically.

(I think they will be more so than the US if they can profile without being called racists).

oh yeah, god forbid we profile. Roll Eyes

Still feel like rolling your eyes?
POPmetal
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »

Don't try to make me look like a liar, you and other people commented on the French's tactics of counter-terrorism and claimed that in the US their methods would be classed as profiling. Despite what you may think I'm not a fool, I didn't just bring profiling up from nowhere.

French authorities don't have qualms about harassing people they suspect of being extremists. In the US, people would scream bloody murder that God forbid a middle easterner was "profiled" Roll Eyes We could learn a lot from Fracne when it comes to fighting terrorism domestically.

(I think they will be more so than the US if they can profile without being called racists).

No, I feel like ignoring you because you take things out of context, mix it up with things other have said, and you don't get the point of what we wrote in the first place.

I never said the 9 people arrested in the article I posted was an example of profiling. This isn't the only occurrence in history that the French have gone after extremists.
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 06:36:05 PM »

No, I feel like ignoring you because you take things out of context, mix it up with things other have said, and you don't get the point of what we wrote in the first place.

I never said the 9 people arrested in the article I posted was an example of profiling. This isn't the only occurrence in history that the French have gone after extremists.

What am i mixing up? you and others blatantly brought up profiling. No two ways, mixing up, taking out of context about it, if you meant it in some other way or it's some little in-joke then don't bring it up. You got called out for something you said and now you're blatantly denying it. It's there in black and white.
POPmetal
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 06:45:37 PM »

What am i mixing up?

everything

Since everything has to be spelled out for you, I was commending France's domestic efforts against terrorism, not accusing them of profiling Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 06:52:30 PM by popmetal » Logged
Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 03:17:29 AM »

Profiling ? The results of the last arrests are due to infiltration in the extremist mosquees and months of invigilation. Profiling is arresting at random in the street because of the people's color or religion. That's clearly not the case so I don't understand why profiling was brought up.

And our civil liberties are not tainted by our method to counter extermism. We have a republic (since the third) in which it's forbidden to arbor religious signs in public schools. And we don't actually have the same notions of freedom of speech.

The force ... the force ...
POPmetal
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 06:20:58 AM »

Profiling ? The results of the last arrests are due to infiltration in the extremist mosquees and months of invigilation. Profiling is arresting at random in the street because of the people's color or religion. That's clearly not the case so I don't understand why profiling was brought up.

Yes, profiling clearly doesn't have to do anything with that last arrest. It was brought because I commended France for its "offensive harassment" policy against suspected extremists, which in the US would be decried as "profiling." But some people mistakenly thought I was talking about the Sept. 27 arrests.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 06:23:55 AM by popmetal » Logged
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 08:18:19 AM »

I'm glad to see this kind of comments here, they're pretty rare. Smiley

I'm not a big fan of our Secretary of State (Domestic Affairs Minister in French), Sarkozy, but the other night on TV he said France would kick the fuck out of our country any foreigner who would publicly rant unrepublican (in the sense of against the Constitution) stuff, like fatwas and all that shit. He said foreign imams (muslim equivalent of priests) should learn to speak French and integrate France if they want to spread their teachings here, and I agree with him. But anti-American or anti-French or anti-West teachings and masses would not be allowed.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: