Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  3 successive classics are enough to embrase the world
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 successive classics are enough to embrase the world  (Read 9024 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: October 12, 2005, 06:14:24 AM »

I was listening to "Thriller" of Michael jackson, all the legend around this album is about the? successive Top 3: Beat it- Billie jean- Thriller. Those 3 consecutive songs blow everything away. You can't resist, it's genius. The rest of the album is good, but what makes this album so legendary is definitelly this Top 3. It may be something to think about for the Chinese Democracy record. 3 consecutive songs that would blow everything away, just 3.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:47:44 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
anythinggoes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 06:20:06 AM »

well there are two already The Blues and Madagascar im certain Uncle Axl has a lot more tricks up his sleeves and under his bandana
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 06:26:42 AM »

It should be stronger than the blues and madagascar. Altough they are great songs, beat it -billie jean- and thriller are better. Those 3 songs are incredible. They changed the world of music.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:48:05 AM by nesquick » Logged

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 06:30:07 AM »

You make a very good point. The whole album doesnt have to be great for it to be considered a classic. To be honest, I dont even think it has to have 3. I think just one "earth shattering" song could resurrect his career. But keep this in mind: Axl is being held to a higher standard than MJ. All MJ had before Thriller was 'Off the Wall' and that old Jackson 5 shit. Thriller got unleashed on the world out of the blue, and it surprised alot of people.

anythinggoes
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 06:31:31 AM »

It should be stronger than the blues and madagascar. Altough they are great songs, beat it -billie jean- and thriller are much better. Those 3 songs are incredible. It changed the world of music.

i seriously think when these songs are released they will hit home to the non fans just like sweet child and november rain especially madagascar it is such a haunting clasical song
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 06:47:10 AM »

I have no doubt about it. But I think Axl has even stronger songs.

anythinggoes
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 07:03:06 AM »

I have no doubt about it. But I think Axl has even stronger songs.

im certain Uncle Axl has a lot more tricks up his sleeves and under his bandana

thats what i meant  hihi
legolas
Opening Act

Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time!

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:22:41 AM »

Since Axl said there holding back the BIG guns, there most probably will be enough 'classics tobe' for a great 'come back'  peace

230622-Groningen,120717-GoffertP-Nijmegen,060412-Ahoy-Rdam,100310-Gdome-Arnhem,
070206-GoffertP-Nijmegen,082402-Pukkelp-Hasselt060593-Goffertp-Nijmegen062392-Feyenoord, Rdam
madagas
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 07:51:28 AM »

You mean 3 succesive singles like Jungle, SCOM, and PC. That is why AFD did so well-think about it. Three incredibly perfect radio rock songs. Great singles drive album sales. Grin
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 08:05:35 AM »

Axl is being held to a higher standard than MJ. All MJ had before Thriller was 'Off the Wall' and that old Jackson 5 shit. Thriller got unleashed on the world out of the blue, and it surprised alot of people.

While I agree in the '3 strong songs to make an unforgettable album' concept, I also believe that the majority of the music listening world (yes, there are some that don't follow the ins and outs of the latest Santuary rumors, etc.) will look at Chinese Democracy as if it came 'out of the blue' and possibly (if it is also a strong album with at least 3 great singles) could 'surprise' many. Will it be Axl's 'Thriller'? I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 08:32:13 AM »

Thriller was a HUGE success, but not just because of the good music. MJ's image(the moonwalk,the glove) and his innovative videos played a big part in the albums success. The song Thriller was the first 'epic' MTV ever played. It was a long song to begin with, and the video was like 15-20 minutes long. It was the most requested video on MTV in the early 80's. The album was definitely ahead of its time. It was so great, MJ could never top it. If Axl was to achieve 'Thriller' type success, he could fulfill his dreams to "bury AFD".

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 08:38:03 AM »

yeah...and "Thriller" sold over 50 million copies...HOLLY SHIT! Shocked? Shocked
Maybe Axl should call Quincy jones  Grin
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:39:48 AM by nesquick » Logged

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »

or Paul McCartney! Cheesy

alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 09:38:22 AM »

I was listening to "Thriller" of Michael jackson, all the legend around this album is about the? successive Top 3: Beat it- Billie jean- Thriller. Those 3 consecutive songs blow everything away. You can't resist, it's genius. The rest of the album is good, but what makes this album so legendary is definitelly this Top 3. It may be something to think about for the Chinese Democracy record. 3 consecutive songs that would blow everything away, just 3.

To compare "Thriller" to "Chinese Democracy" is ridiculous; it is a near impossible wall to climb. Has any artist outsold "Thriller" in the last 23 years? No. "Thriller" is the best selling pop album of all-time selling 60 million records worldwide. It is certified platinum 27 times in the US. GNR's best selling album "Appetite for Destruction" is about 12 million records short of that.

Besides, "Thriller" has 7 top ten singles, not just 3.

However, if Axl is trying to write the next "Thriller", that might explain why it is taking so long.  hihi
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 09:51:28 AM »

"Thriller" was #1 during 9 month and 1 week in the American Album Charts. 37 successive weeks. That's fucking incredible. drool Shocked
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 09:54:40 AM by nesquick » Logged

BD888
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 10:06:38 AM »

You make a very good point. The whole album doesnt have to be great for it to be considered a classic. To be honest, I dont even think it has to have 3. I think just one "earth shattering" song could resurrect his career. But keep this in mind: Axl is being held to a higher standard than MJ. All MJ had before Thriller was 'Off the Wall' and that old Jackson 5 shit. Thriller got unleashed on the world out of the blue, and it surprised alot of people.

What are you talking about?  Off The Wall was an amazing album.  It went to Number 3 in the US and sold over 7 million copies in the 70s, the same number as UYI 1 or UYI 2.  Noel Gallagher of Oasis reckons it's the best album ever made.

Thriller did was totally unique when it came out, perfectly blending pop, rock, R&B and soul as well as using amazing recording techniques and fantastic Quincy Jones production, it was just so far ahead of anything that it exploded on the scene.  But believe me, there were huge expectations on Micheal Jackson after Off The Wall, that's why he made such an effort with Thriller.  I mean the pressure was driving MJ mad before he realeased Thriller, there are many interviews where he stated that. 

Anyways, Axl has had this pressure on him before after not releasing a LP for 4 years after AFD...Then he released a little too much with the UYI albums...I wonder if he will do the same with CD to hedge his bets.  I hope that he just released one really great album with around 12 songs, 15 max, that are all killer with no filler!
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 10:40:44 AM »

I love this board, but I believe this may be a sign of the apocalypse:

We're now talking about Michael Jackson songs on here.

nervous
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 10:46:26 AM »

I love this board, but I believe this may be a sign of the apocalypse:

We're now talking about Michael Jackson songs on here.

nervous

We told Michael Jackson, don't you ever come around here
Don't wanna see your face, you better disappear
The fire's in our eyes and our words are really clear
So beat it, just beat it  rofl

btw Eddie VanHalen did the solo for Beat-It and didn't even get paid to do it!!! Check it out it's cool! (Thriller was my first album I ever bought Embarrassed )

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 11:16:43 AM »

When I saw gn'r in 2002 in London - Axl talked at length about chinese Democracy and seemed adamant that it would be at least an 18 track album - maybe more and that there were LOADS of songs gonna come out.  he also said that the songs they were playing live around then were assumed by press and public to be their strongest and the "new hits" - but he said "au contraire mon frere" and words to the effect of there was far more and better to come - which bodes really well!!!!

Cool
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 11:27:44 AM »

Maybe whaxl & Jacko should duet on a 21st century version of 'ebony & ivory'.

They could call it 'album delays & plastic surgery'.  peace

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: