Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 09:05:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tape shows New Orleans cops beating black man
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tape shows New Orleans cops beating black man  (Read 25239 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: October 10, 2005, 10:11:52 PM »

New Orleans cops suspended for beating caught on video

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 07:33 JST

NEW ORLEANS ? Three New Orleans police officers filmed beating a 64-year-old man during a weekend arrest in the city's French Quarter were suspended and arrested on Monday.

Graphic footage of the brutal beating, aired on television, showed two white officers punching the African-American man while detaining him late Saturday.

The film later showed the man lying on the ground, his arms restrained behind him, his face and shirt covered in blood on a Bourbon Street sidewalk.

"They did him like Rodney King," said Frank Anderson, a 40-year-old African-American construction worker on Bourbon Street. "Those officers ain't no better than these guys who are stealing things."

The officers were suspended and arrested after commanders viewed the video footage of the confrontation, which ended with the 64-year-old man handcuffed.

"What is obvious is that our officers used more than the force necessary," acting police superintendent Warren Riley said after viewing the tape shot by a news camera crew who happened across the incident.

"To see this tape, it's troubling," he told CNN television.

The police officers were arraigned on battery charges in court on Monday and then freed on bail pending trial. The officers left the court with their attorneys who told reporters the men were innocent.

"We are endeavoring to ascertain why this encounter occurred at all," Riley said. "We will take swift and decisive action."

The beating victim, who was hospitalized and later released, was charged with public drunkenness, resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer. The man did not appear to struggle in the taped portion of the clash with police.

Riley cautioned against a rush to judgment however, saying that unseen factors may have been in play during the confrontation.

The officers allegedly also clashed with the camera man who filmed the incident.

As officers pounded the beating victim, a mounted police officer appears to maneuver his horse to block the camera shot.

Another police officer allegedly shoved the camera crew producer onto a parked car and reportedly cursed at him and shouted "I've been here for six weeks trying to keep alive. Go home."

Local police officials have said the stress of working through the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, exacerbated by personal loss and suffering, could have pushed some officers over the brink.

"Everyone's a little tense right now, that much is to be expected," said Wallace McGill, a 32-year-old New Orleans native. "But, if you are that tense, you shouldn't be out on the street. You need a leave of absence."

McGill and his companion, John Evans, were among the African-Americans in the French Quarter on Monday who were appalled, but not surprised, by word of the alleged police brutality.

"That isn't anything new," said a man with a complete set of gold teeth. "That's why I don't come out here at night. Next time, they'll take me for a beating and no one is going to get it on camera."

Anderson, who is from the state of Georgia, said he was already cautious about local police.

"I know where I'm at," Anderson said. "You have to watch your back anyway."

The New Orleans police department has been criticized for its performance in the wake of the hurricanes that lashed the city beginning Aug29.

Officers have been accused of looting, taking cars, desertion, and shooting dogs left behind by fleeing residents.

Riley defended the integrity of his department, saying that acts of sacrifice and heroism by officers abounded in the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

He said there were "a few bad cops like you have everywhere.

"That handfull of officers we have who have been involved in incidents that embarrass this police department, we want to weed them out," Riley said. (Wire reports)

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=8&id=351740

Fuck 'Em All.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:20:39 PM »

Fuck those guys....give them jail time.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 10:47:38 PM »

I hope you're talking about all the looters, rapist and murders this tragedy brought out into the light.  I'm sure the man who was arrested and beated did nothing to warrant that level of force.  Let a jury who is presented with all the facts decide the outcome.  Rodney King got what he deserved and the jury decided that.  If these cops used excessive force, then they should be penalized.  But I'll be damned if I'm gonna focus my attention onto 2 cops rather than the criminals who constantly endanger the lives of the men in blue and citizens of New Orleans.
MCT
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 10:54:30 PM »

Rodney King?
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 11:04:24 PM »

Rodney King?

The article interviewed someone who identified this beating the same as Rodney King.  People assume that King was just an innocent man, but he was a drug dealer high on PCP who attacked those cops - thus the beating was justified.  My point is that a jury who has all the information - not some partial video - should decide if these men are guilty.
MCT
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 11:07:11 PM »

Man, your gone waaay over my hed. i just wantedt oknow who he was.

Huh
Sterlingdog
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:11:29 PM »

Man, your gone waaay over my hed. i just wantedt oknow who he was.

Huh
Rodney King was a black man (yes, a criminal as mentioned above) who was pulled over by white police and some say beaten with excessive force.  It turned into a big racial thing in Southern California (I believe the media made it bigger than it was by repeatedly calling King "black motorist").  The officers were tried and originally acquitted of excessive force charges, leading to riots in many areas.  They were later retried on federal charges and convicted of some minor charges, I believe. 
MCT
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 11:14:36 PM »

OH. I think I herd about that on Opera one time.

cool. thanx Smiley
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 11:31:48 PM »

I hope you're talking about all the looters, rapist and murders this tragedy brought out into the light.

I'm talking about the police who took an oath to uphold, which the broke by beating that man.

So yea, fuck them, give them jail time.

Maybe we should sterilize all those black people.......that way the white cops would not have to beat them down like this.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:43:04 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 11:35:27 PM »

OH. I think I herd about that on Opera one time.

cool. thanx Smiley

Smart arse!!!

MCT
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 11:39:25 PM »

Haha! I'm bad.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 11:41:01 PM »

Haha! I'm bad.

yea, but I got it....so who cares...... Grin
Sterlingdog
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 11:41:41 PM »

Haha! I'm bad.

Damn, you had me. ?I thought I was all nice, trying to help the slow guy. ? Smiley
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 12:16:11 AM »

The difference is, Rodney King was asking for it. This guy was just allegedly drunk or something, not doing anything too serious.
Kurupt Girl
Banned
Headliner

Shut The Fuck Up

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 12:20:31 AM »

Rodney King got what he deserved
if that's your honest opinion i hope you do too.

Every day of my life I take a glimpse in the mirror, and I see motherfuckers tryn'a be like me
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 12:35:59 AM »

The difference is, Rodney King was asking for it. This guy was just allegedly drunk or something, not doing anything too serious.

Again, I don't know all the facts and am reserving my judgement until I find out more.  As I said earlier, if these cops used excessive force they deserved to be punished under the law.  However, this country and our media tend to distort what really happened in rare instances such as this and more people end up being harmed as a result.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 12:37:02 AM »

Rodney King got what he deserved
if that's your honest opinion i hope you do too.

What's that supposed to mean?  What do I "deserve".  Do I deserve to have the shit kicked out of me because I'm not a reactionary or because I don't share all of the same liberal opinions that majority of this board has.
Kurupt Girl
Banned
Headliner

Shut The Fuck Up

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 01:04:41 AM »

no, but because you seem to take the "white" side in defense regardless, without knowing the case at all. you're quick to twist it around ain't you, blaming the "looters". why don't you attack the white "searchers" too.

Every day of my life I take a glimpse in the mirror, and I see motherfuckers tryn'a be like me
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 02:09:14 AM »

Nobody deserves to be brutalized like King or this guy in N.O.  Especially by cops.  I sure would hate to be them if they get convicted but what are the chances of that in the South?
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 02:16:23 AM »

no, but because you seem to take the "white" side in defense regardless, without knowing the case at all. you're quick to twist it around ain't you, blaming the "looters". why don't you attack the white "searchers" too.

What white side?  I haven't seen the video yet so I don't even know if all the cops were white.  I don't know if the force was warranted in this case.  If it was not, then the police should be punished for thier crimes.  How is that taking a white side.  If I'm not mistaken, people of all race and creed were looting.  Please don't call me a racist because I don't hate the police.  If you have race issues, that's on you but I ask that you not in any way shape or form call me a racist or biggot, ecspecially when I've made it clear 3x now that the cops should be punished if they were guilty.  I only advocate leting the legal system work rather riot in the streets as has happened multiple times when a black person was assualted by police - justifiably and unjustifiably.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: