Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Def Leppard
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Def Leppard  (Read 159194 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »

i picked up on that too. i think he dropped a bollock on that one lol.

lets face it, they aint gonna be pyromania or hysteria again.

Especially with no steve.
was a very odd interview - not sure what he was thinking - was he suggesting a 'great album' was merely 3 or 4 great singles?

Def Leppard just dont seem to want to be successful  -what kind of talk is - 'we just need 3-4 great songs' - dont they want another platinum award?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2007, 07:12:12 AM »

was a very odd interview - not sure what he was thinking - was he suggesting a 'great album' was merely 3 or 4 great singles?

Def Leppard just dont seem to want to be successful  -what kind of talk is - 'we just need 3-4 great songs' - dont they want another platinum award?

Clearly there not aiming very high anymore...

html sucks
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »

Clearly there not aiming very high anymore...

It's a shame really  no
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2007, 01:59:50 PM »

I saw that posted on Blabbermouth and it made em smile.

So he admits that Def Leppard is just another band who writes a few hits and fills up the rest of the album with fillers because they won't get played on the radio anyway?

Haha!

How about writing three songs that are awesome, then throw away the rest and keep writing until you have at least ten awesome tracks?

No wonder I never liked this band.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2007, 04:51:38 PM »

I saw that posted on Blabbermouth and it made em smile.

So he admits that Def Leppard is just another band who writes a few hits and fills up the rest of the album with fillers because they won't get played on the radio anyway?

Haha!

How about writing three songs that are awesome, then throw away the rest and keep writing until you have at least ten awesome tracks?

No wonder I never liked this band.  hihi

/jarmo

The stuff they did in the 80s is good jarmo, its just after that standards decrease...

html sucks
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »

I remember when Hysteria was popular.

That music did nothing for me.

They seemed to have the same production formula.

All weird sounding songs with the same kind of chorus thing in each song.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2007, 09:01:49 PM »

I think you have to go further back to Pyromania and earlier to get to when they were great. (Back when Rick Allen still had 2 arms ).

Seriously, they went into the writing process on Hysteria with the goal of a multi platnum album, not to have the goal to write a killer rock album. Thank  producer Mutt Lange for that.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »

I remember when Hysteria was popular.

That music did nothing for me.

Def Leppard have always been a band which just shouldnt work - a band with a one armed drummer, that seems oblivious to current trends, and need to be guided every step of the way during album production...

...but they do work, and if later offerings are weak its only because they climbed the mountain and realised there was no where left to go....

Joe's admission is surprising - but at this stage of the game he's just being honest  - would we rather he lied to us like Axl? Atleast the album recorded in a month for the quick paycheck wouldnt have been laboured on and 'pro-tooled' to the point where its the Phantom Menace of music

Hysteria is the pop metal album just about every mainstream rock band from about '78 - '92 was trying for - its pop metal perfection, and while many despise it - if your into that kind of music it really is the benchmark the rest are compared against - Joe knows he cant rival that, so why try? Would any of us be any different?

They seemed to have the same production formula.

and here i'll ask for that select bunch of bands that dont base a career around songs so similiar you struggle to tell which album they were from

All 80's bands were the same -  riff-that-works-as-a-ring tone, chorus, obligatory guitar solo rinse and repeat? That was pretty much the 70's too and the late 60's - hell, thats rock - its formulaic, its predicatable, but do we care?

A similiar formulae is fine if you've got the formulae right to begin with

All weird sounding songs with the same kind of chorus thing in each song.

Okay the electronic drumkit is a distinctive but 'weird' sounding? That was 80's metal!

Def Leppard were superficial - but so was grunge, millionaires singing about their terrible lives - Leppard's sound is just honesty + riff

...and damn, if they aint the best band i've seen live. They may not care too much for new material but live is where they shine - you can tell they are having the time of their lives, and right now - i'm far more concerned with the live show

and Def Leppard live means they hit the stage 10 mins after the opening act - belt out all their songs with reverance, pull out improv solos that actually work and dont pause to draw breath - having seen another band *cough* with a somewhat different.....attitude, i can tell you whos philosophy on music i prefer.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #348 on: March 07, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »

Joe's admission is surprising - but at this stage of the game he's just being honest  - would we rather he lied to us like Axl?

I stopped reading when I saw that.

Go listen to your filler albums if that makes you happy.  ok

Musical integrity.

Something lacking in Def Leppard....

Funny how a guy, who's usually so concerned with all the things that are "wrong", is here defending one of the bands who were responsible for making the 80s hard rock into the horrible radio pop it turned into.

/jarmo

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »

Joe's admission is surprising - but at this stage of the game he's just being honest? - would we rather he lied to us like Axl?

I stopped reading when I saw that.

Or were you told to stop reading after that? hihi

Go listen to your filler albums if that makes you happy.? ok

Way ahead of u - i've got UYI 1 playing hihi

Musical integrity.

Something lacking in Def Leppard....

Certainly now, but honestly - how many bands have a shred of integrity? Even your beloved bands churn out videos to be displayed on the altar of MTV....integrity? In it for the music? How much was that ticket again?

Funny how a guy, who's usually so concerned with all the things that are "wrong"

Now now, try to be civil - i could post sweeping generalisations too like, how about - pawn of GNR's management??

is here defending one of the bands who were responsible for making the 80s hard rock into the horrible radio pop it turned into.

Def Leppard were riding the crest of a wave - they didnt contribute anything new, just understood how to do it better - they were the accountants of 80's music, they didnt bring anything new to the table, just made it more efficient, cut away the fat to leave an improved product

80's rock was just David Bowie, T rex and Queen fused with Van Halen guitar work - it was well in place before Def Leppard were even formed, and Def Leppard were always an attempt to stay true to 70's pop-rock

...and horrible pop radio? hihi? I love the stuff so of course i'll stick up for it

Quick! To the bandwagon!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2007, 05:20:21 PM »

Or were you told to stop reading after that? hihi

What a funny miserable person you are.

You remind me of Ross Halfin's blog. Whine, whine, whine but Def Leppard rules!

Certainly now, but honestly - how many bands have a shred of integrity? Even your beloved bands churn out videos to be displayed on the altar of MTV....integrity? In it for the music? How much was that ticket again?

Integrity enough to to put out shit just to get on the radio?

Now now, try to be civil - i could post sweeping generalisations too like, how about - pawn of GNR's management? 

That's because you have no idea what you're talking about. But that's hardly not surprising considering the things I've seen you post here.

Why are you even here if GN'R are so horrible and the live show wasn't any good?

I love the stuff so of course i'll stick up for it

For somebody who lacks taste you certainly are amusing.  Tongue

You come across as one of those pompous assholes who think they know better than anybody else because they went to the university.

But in the end, they have their own idols who they'll protect....

One more thing: Def Leppard? Hahahaha! No offense to anybody who likes them, but it's funny that this guy loves them. Mr Cool himself.... Fucking priceless.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:23:26 PM by jarmo » Logged

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2007, 05:53:50 PM »

def leppard certainly are pop, but they are quality pop, one of the few bandws with cheesy chorus's  that i like....

i generally go for heavier stuff with kick ass riffs.

But def leppard, are just an enjoyable band, there sing alongness works well for me, combined with there guitar riffs etc.

Hysteria is a great album start to finish, poppy sounding or not its a great listen when your in the right mood.

Many would say guns n roses were "hair metal", many would say axl sounds like a girl.

You know as well as i do, guns n roses certainly are not hair metal, there music is what its about, they're many other bands who are labelled "hair metal "pop metal" and are dismissed because of it, when actually alot of them, despite the image had great music and put on great shows......

I for one get sick of people dismissing so much 80s music under the basis of its classification.

html sucks
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »

Much of the hair metal bands of the 80's copied what Def Leppard did. They were the "A" list of the genre along with Van Halen who came before them. But usually whrn you copy another band and not make something original about it, you get Poision, Warrant, and the like. GNR came about at a good time in music when we were at the "C" level of pop/metal bands and blew them all out of the water.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »

Much of the hair metal bands of the 80's copied what Def Leppard did. They were the "A" list of the genre along with Van Halen who came before them. But usually whrn you copy another band and not make something original about it, you get Poision, Warrant, and the like. GNR came about at a good time in music when we were at the "C" level of pop/metal bands and blew them all out of the water.

i enjoyed posion though, i think some of there songs were quality, like fallen angel, cry tough, cool lyrics.

html sucks
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #354 on: March 08, 2007, 07:20:19 AM »

What a funny miserable person you are.

You remind me of Ross Halfin's blog. Whine, whine, whine but Def Leppard rules!

who's Ross Halfin? Might have to check his stuff out

Integrity enough to to put out shit just to get on the radio?

opinion my dear friend, opinion - what is good music? Can you quantify that?

That's because you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have no idea about Def Leppard Huh Isnt it enough to own their stuff, go their shows and read about them? What more can i do?

But that's hardly not surprising considering the things I've seen you post here.

Indeed - saying Def Leppard is good - outrageous!

Why are you even here if GN'R are so horrible and the live show wasn't any good?

....not in the GNR section are we?

I come here for the off topic sections

and the live shows were awful imo, i saw them a few times - just to be sure Wink

For somebody who lacks taste you certainly are amusing.? Tongue

so i'm wrong to like hair metal? hihi

Is hair metal one of the forbidden topics now?

I also love bands like Nirvana, AIC, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees - no taste right?

You come across as one of those pompous assholes who think they know better than anybody else because they went to the university.

i was pompous long before i went to uni hihi

I take it you didnt go? U really should.

On a serious note, i refrain from personal insults as board policy dictates - for the children reading, maybe you should too? A disagreement doesnt need to become a slagging match

One more thing: Def Leppard? Hahahaha! No offense to anybody who likes them, but it's funny that this guy loves them. Mr Cool himself.... Fucking priceless.

I cant like them and be cool? Damn.

Why does it bother you that people like different music to you?

Why are you in a Def Leppard thread just to slag them off?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:24:33 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #355 on: March 08, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »

i have to admit, i like jarmo, but he is sort of going against his own rules....

html sucks
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #356 on: March 08, 2007, 07:54:06 AM »

i have to admit, i like jarmo, but he is sort of going against his own rules....

Really?

This guy is spreading lies about me in a fucking Def Leppard thread.

By the way Izzy, I did attend university.  ok

I don't care if people listen to Def Leppard or Warrant. I find it amusing how the one guy who I see complaining about everybody and everything has a soft spot for Def Leppard and Oasis.

/jarmo

TheMole
« Reply #357 on: March 08, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »

I find it amusing how the one guy who I see complaining about everybody and everything has a soft spot for Def Leppard and Oasis.

Why?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #358 on: March 08, 2007, 10:21:55 AM »

I find it amusing how the one guy who I see complaining about everybody and everything has a soft spot for Def Leppard and Oasis.

Why?

Because a lot of people find things to complain about about those bands....

But not the guy who complains about almost everything.

/jarmo

TheMole
« Reply #359 on: March 08, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »

Why?

Because a lot of people find things to complain about about those bands....

But not the guy who complains about almost everything.

/jarmo

Fair enough. Although I tend to think musical taste is just that, personal taste. Not really something to use to make fun of someone.

*edit* Not that I like Def Leppard or Oasis, for that matter.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: