Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:12:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Def Leppard
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Def Leppard  (Read 159312 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2006, 04:57:27 PM »

They were great till the drummer lost his arm....loved On thru the Night, high n Dry and pyromania

I think the moment they lost their way was when Mutt Lange stopped producing their stuff - he gave their stuff a harder edge, later stuff like Euphoria is far too.....well, it needs that heavy guitar sound, it lacks that and ends up sounding far to pop.

eyeye not long till the new album and their tour yeyeye

Quick! To the bandwagon!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »

I only recently heard the pre-Hysteria stuff, I was surprised at how 'metal' it is.  As heavy as almost anything from its time I'd say.  Another Hit And Run, what a song.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
gnrgnr06
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #302 on: May 07, 2006, 05:48:26 PM »

I saw them in concert. Fuckin amazing show peace
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2006, 01:30:49 PM »

I only recently heard the pre-Hysteria stuff, I was surprised at how 'metal' it is.? As heavy as almost anything from its time I'd say.? Another Hit And Run, what a song.

so you finally heard there good music hihi Grin
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2006, 04:52:18 PM »

^ Thats the truth there. I saw them in '93 on whatever the hell they were promoting tour, and it was easily the worst concert I ever saw. From that moment on I never spent another penny on that band no

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #305 on: May 10, 2006, 12:43:23 PM »

^ Thats the truth there. I saw them in '93 on whatever the hell they were promoting tour, and it was easily the worst concert I ever saw. From that moment on I never spent another penny on that band no

I bought Hysteria, and a concert ticket to see them with Bryan Adams, but the stage got hit by lightning on my way to the venue the concert was cancelled, and i got my money back
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #306 on: May 10, 2006, 02:27:10 PM »

^ I would have prefered that they cancelled. They were scheduled for a Saturday at the Dean Dome. It had snowed that morning and the band was stuck in South Carolina. Of course we we werent told it was cancelled until we travelled further than the band would have to get to the arena.

Re-scheduled for the next night, drive all the way back to the Dean Dome( a two hour trip one way). No opening act, just house music. Def Leppard plays less than 90 minutes and hauls ass. Hope they enjoyed my $30 bucks because they will get nothing else from me.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #307 on: May 10, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

Guess u either love or hate Leppard, and i love 'em - off to see them in June, cant wait, i love all their stuff, though Euphoria is a bit weaker than the rest

and for all those Hysteria haters - its pop metal, and the best pop metal ever released

ace riff/chorus/solo - all i want, all i need - if you demand orchestras, lyrics about trees and some guy singing in a really pained voice then Leppard aren't for u - they are music for ur heart, not your head

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #308 on: May 10, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »

^ Thats what pissed me off so much, I loved all their music until I heard "Lets Get Rocked" the first time. Huge let down, that show was. Luckily GnR came in a few weeks later with Blind Melon and played the best show I have seen so far.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #309 on: May 10, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »

^ Thats what pissed me off so much, I loved all their music until I heard "Lets Get Rocked" the first time. Huge let down, that show was. Luckily GnR came in a few weeks later with Blind Melon and played the best show I have seen so far.

That song is hardly enough to wreck a show - its just a bit daft, its not the end of the world.

I do wonder what the band were thinking at the peak of grunge releasing Adrenalize, their most 'pop' album to date - was that arrogance on their part - seeing hair metal dying and thinking they could laugh in the face of grunge?

Bizarrely the band were writing and recording far heavier material and even released it on Retro Activ - why did they use Adrenalize to go back to their heavier roots? All very strange

That said Adrenalize has some damn fine stuff on it
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 06:01:26 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Kujo
Legend

« Reply #310 on: May 10, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »

Sorry, I didn't phrase that properly. I loved all their music on the CD's until the first time I heard that song on MTV.

The concert was a disaster right from the moment where they used the closing drumbeat of "Coma" in the house music to lead into their opening drumbeat of Lets Get Rocked

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #311 on: May 10, 2006, 06:02:33 PM »

The concert was a disaster right from the moment where they used the closing drumbeat of "Coma" in the house music to lead into their opening drumbeat of Lets Get Rocked

If memory served they were still using Coma when i saw them a few years back...

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2006, 02:56:35 PM »

Well i got their new album - not really that impresive - they are just identical covers of some classic tunes - guys: ur supposed to add ur own 'touch'

Quick! To the bandwagon!
everwake
Opening Act

not that i'd care...

« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2006, 04:21:15 PM »

I'm sure someone said this before...so shoot me for being to damn lazy to read 16 pages... I remember Def Leppard from my childhood...always used to consider them one of the "highlights" of the 80's... personally favourites are the works before Hysteria (but I always get preaches on that). Mutt Lange did do a good work back then... Anyway i consider them still alright to listen, even though their music has always been a little bit too commercial...like a little bit too "eMpTyV".(oh yeah, and if they'd come around, mayb i'd go to see them live).

---take it form a newbie---

oneofthesedaysi'mgoingtocutyouintolittlepieces
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2006, 10:13:11 AM »

DEF LEPPARD's official web site, DefLeppard.com, has been updated with the following article:

It's one down for DEF LEPPARD ? and a lot more rock to go.

The summer tour in support of the band's new hit album, "Yeah!", officially kicked off on Saturday night in Milan, Italy, when the band hit the stage as one of the headliners of the Gods of Metal festival.

And according to guitarist and vocalist Phil Collen, it was more than rewarding to be playing live, loud DEF LEPPARD rock n' roll again ? especially the songs on "Yeah!", the band's long-awaited album of cover songs by the glam-rock heroes of their youth.
"It was great," Collen said. "It's a little different. We haven't really played Europe properly for a while. We've kind of been away for a long time, so this is kind of a reintroduction for us with the European festivals.

"We were smoking, I thought, and it was really warm and it was really nice to be out there."

This is only the beginning of a long, fun summer for DEF LEPPARD.

They'll play three more festivals ? Rock the Nation in Oberhausen, Germany, on June 7, Sweden Rock in Solvesborg, Sweden, on June 9, and Arrow Rock in Lichtenvoorde, the Netherlands, on June 10 ? before playing shows in Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Then they'll hit the United States for a three-month co-headlining run with JOURNEY.

"What's really nice about this is that back in the day, I always remember playing Europe in the winter," Collen said. "It was always kind of a bit dismal. We'd be driving there and it'd be pissing with rain. Just England in general, it's just raining all the time anyway, usually.

"But the weekend was glorious in Italy. It was beautiful. We're doing these outdoor shows and it's baking. It's a really great way to start off this tour, I've gotta say."

During the remainder of the tour, DEF LEPPARD will be promoting "Yeah!", which is packed with fresh takes on gems from the KINKS, BADFINGER, Marc Bolan and T.REX, DAVID BOWIE, SWEET, ROXY MUSIC, MOTT THE HOOPLE, FREE, THE FACES, BLONDIE and THIN LIZZY.

As Collen says, each song is infused with a healthy helping of the band's signature sound, which makes the new live show a potent mixture of DEF LEPPARD's greatest hits and a tribute to the groups that inspired them to become musicians in the first place.

"A lot of these songs sound like they could be us, which is different from a lot of cover albums," Collen said. "I think people do cover albums because the label wants them to or the angle is, 'We want to have a hit. Are we going to record another hit?'

"We didn't really do that. We've got a lot of these songs that are deep cuts, if you like. Some people don't know what they are. To be quite honest, we did this album for ourselves. It was actually quite a selfish thing.

"It wasn't because our fans wanted to, it wasn't because we wanted to show our fans where we come from, it wasn't because we wanted to please the record company. It was like, 'No. This is for us,' and that's the reason why. By doing that, there was no real pressure on it. It was actually a very fun album."

And what can DEF LEPPARD fans expect from the rest of the tour?

"We've taken it up a notch," Collen said. "It's not like we're going to be running around in tutus or anything. We're just upping it, making it more exciting."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
SLCPUNK
« Reply #315 on: June 07, 2006, 01:29:24 PM »

Well i got their new album - not really that impresive - they are just identical covers of some classic tunes - guys: ur supposed to add ur own 'touch'

The first DL album I probably won't be buying.

Oh well. I get to see them again this summer with my daughter.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #316 on: June 15, 2006, 08:02:02 PM »

I actually liked "Promises" and "HYENSSB"

"Lets Get Rocked" blows...

I like the older Def Lep. I thought Slang was good and everyone bashes it usually.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #317 on: June 17, 2006, 12:29:58 AM »

Little concerned by the tour set list too - i'm seeing them in 3 day time - just 16 songs and not even there best stuff with a huge amount from the new album
Izzy, could you post the setlist? I might see them if they come to my neck of the woods, but if its a real shitty setlist I wont even bother.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2006, 01:01:06 PM »

Little concerned by the tour set list too - i'm seeing them in 3 day time - just 16 songs and not even there best stuff with a huge amount from the new album
Izzy, could you post the setlist? I might see them if they come to my neck of the woods, but if its a real shitty setlist I wont even bother.

Have no fear! When i wrote that i'd just got the new album and hadn't been impressed with it at all and was concerned about the songs they were missing out to fit them in- however, a few hundred listens later to 'Yeah' and that totally changed, the new tracks dont weaken the set list but considerable strengthen it, you'll wonder how a set list didn't include 'Rock on' before!

I saw Def Leppard yesterday and they were magnificent - they were awesome the last time i saw them, but i think they were even better this time

They really are just wonderous live - after seeing that appaling pile of crap that calls itself GNR the other week the difference couldn't have been more profound

Every member plays his heart out - and unlike GNR - can actually pull off the songs and when they feel like improvising make it sound like it was always part of the song

The chemistry they have on stage is a joy to beyhold - and they do solo's between songs that are actually good!

The new tracks work fantastically live - its taken me a few weeks, but the first three songs on 'Yeah' + Hellraiser (all played) are really very very good and the rest of the album is enjoyable

The set list was superb, tracks that maybe dont work as well in the studio (lets get rocked) are something very different live and i'd forgotten just how great 'make love like a man' is - hell i'd forgotten how good all the songs were - the medley of photograph/animal/armagddon it was fantastic and the gig hurtles along at such a speed, its over far too soon

What makes the gig work so well is not just the reaction of the crowd but the fact that its so obvious the band are grateful for everything they have - when they play its because they want to be there (unlike certain other bands....) there are virtually no delays (just 10 mins between opening act closing and Def Leppard hitting the stage - with 'Coma' played in between!) They really play their hearts out and the crowd was superb

Definetly go see them - they were just as good last time i saw them - but in comparison with ''GNR'' its really opened my eyes

Best gig i've ever seen - and the addition of when love and hate collide was fantastic, great to hear that live

set list - not in any real order, but i've tried as best as i can remember

Hellraiser
Rock rock till u drop
Lets get rocked
Make love like a man
20th century boy
Hanging on the telephone
Let it go
Hysteria
Rock on
Promises
Rocket

medley:
Photograph
Animal
Armageddon it

Rock of ages

Encore

When love and hate collide
Pour some sugar on me

Superb - go see them, i only wish i had another opportunity to catch them this year but they only did 2 shows in the UK
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 01:08:17 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #319 on: June 19, 2006, 02:43:33 PM »

Have no fear! When i wrote that i'd just got the new album and hadn't been impressed with it at all and was concerned about the songs they were missing out to fit them in- however, a few hundred listens later to 'Yeah' and that totally changed, the new tracks dont weaken the set list but considerable strengthen it, you'll wonder how a set list didn't include 'Rock on' before!

I saw Def Leppard yesterday and they were magnificent - they were awesome the last time i saw them, but i think they were even better this time

They really are just wonderous live - after seeing that appaling pile of crap that calls itself GNR the other week the difference couldn't have been more profound

Every member plays his heart out - and unlike GNR - can actually pull off the songs and when they feel like improvising make it sound like it was always part of the song

The chemistry they have on stage is a joy to beyhold - and they do solo's between songs that are actually good!

The new tracks work fantastically live - its taken me a few weeks, but the first three songs on 'Yeah' + Hellraiser (all played) are really very very good and the rest of the album is enjoyable

The set list was superb, tracks that maybe dont work as well in the studio (lets get rocked) are something very different live and i'd forgotten just how great 'make love like a man' is - hell i'd forgotten how good all the songs were - the medley of photograph/animal/armagddon it was fantastic and the gig hurtles along at such a speed, its over far too soon

What makes the gig work so well is not just the reaction of the crowd but the fact that its so obvious the band are grateful for everything they have - when they play its because they want to be there (unlike certain other bands....) there are virtually no delays (just 10 mins between opening act closing and Def Leppard hitting the stage - with 'Coma' played in between!) They really play their hearts out and the crowd was superb

Definetly go see them - they were just as good last time i saw them - but in comparison with ''GNR'' its really opened my eyes

Best gig i've ever seen - and the addition of when love and hate collide was fantastic, great to hear that live

set list - not in any real order, but i've tried as best as i can remember

Hellraiser
Rock rock till u drop
Lets get rocked
Make love like a man
20th century boy
Hanging on the telephone
Let it go
Hysteria
Rock on
Promises
Rocket

medley:
Photograph
Animal
Armageddon it

Rock of ages

Encore

When love and hate collide
Pour some sugar on me

Superb - go see them, i only wish i had another opportunity to catch them this year but they only did 2 shows in the UK
What are you even doing on this site if you can't stand Gn'R? Don't you think your time would be better spent elsewhere?  Roll Eyes

P.S. I'll give Brian May's review a little more weight than your's any day of the week.  yes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:00:55 PM by Gunner80? » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: