Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 04:14:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Def Leppard
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Def Leppard  (Read 148668 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2005, 08:28:52 PM »

Who cares? Their last good album was Pyromania. Yeah, 25+ years and 3 good albums that were made in the first 5 or so. Some bands just don't know when to call it quits...
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2005, 10:53:02 PM »

Who cares? Their last good album was Pyromania. Yeah, 25+ years and 3 good albums that were made in the first 5 or so. Some bands just don't know when to call it quits...
Quit you're bitchin'!  Do you ever have anything good to say about music?

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2005, 12:38:28 AM »

Def Leppard rules.. they should do something to get big again... I don't think they care too much or they wouldve done it already tho. If Motley Crue could come back...  Roll Eyes

They fell apart with Adrenalize. I remember being like "whaa?!"

Some Retro Active stuff was ok too. Haven't heard X...

gnrevolution.com
POPmetal
« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2005, 12:57:23 AM »

Adrenalize is their weakest album, but some songs on it like White Lightning are really good.

Retro Active is on of their best IMO. Desert Song, Fractured Love, Ring of Fire are some of the best rock songs ever.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2005, 03:59:16 AM »

Has anyone noticed that the Backstreet Boys and Def Leppard now both sound exactly the same as each other?

Yea right....
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2005, 05:45:43 AM »

Adrenalize is their weakest album, but some songs on it like White Lightning are really good.

I have a lot of time for Adrenalze - they choose badly with the singles (as Leppard have always done!) but virtually all the tracks i really like - except white lightning

Retro active contains Leppards best material, and why they marketed that as a b sides album - again, they were idiots with the singles - two steps behind and action are below par.

An album in the style of Ride into the sun, ring of fire and desert song would be very welcome
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 11:07:03 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2005, 10:24:47 AM »

My fave album once again is Retro active, Agree with Izzy saying they choose bad singles cause I think the best on that record is Ring of Fire, Fracture Love, From the Inside (what a freaking solo!  Shocked)
As a Adrenilize is ok but I prefer better Retro, and I still listen their old records and new ones so I can keep in track with them  peace

No man can be my equal
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2005, 11:07:54 AM »

My fave album once again is Retro active, Agree with Izzy saying they choose bad singles cause I think the best on that record is Ring of Fire, Fracture Love, From the Inside (what a freaking solo!? Shocked)
As a Adrenilize is ok but I prefer better Retro, and I still listen their old records and new ones so I can keep in track with them? peace

Odd how Retro Active was the b-sides to Adrenalize and yet they turned out better.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2005, 12:32:45 PM »

Quit you're bitchin'!  Do you ever have anything good to say about music?

Yes. I also have bad things to say about mediocre albums. When bands put out albums just to make money, they're no longer artists, but products. Def Leppard went from a NWOBHM band to a pop-rock band, which is just artistic progression, but their pop-rock to pop-pop was a $ellout. They're no better than Limp Bizkit now from an ethical point of view, even if their music is slightly better.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #249 on: October 07, 2005, 01:20:05 PM »

My fave album once again is Retro active, Agree with Izzy saying they choose bad singles cause I think the best on that record is Ring of Fire, Fracture Love, From the Inside (what a freaking solo!  Shocked)
As a Adrenilize is ok but I prefer better Retro, and I still listen their old records and new ones so I can keep in track with them  peace

Odd how Retro Active was the b-sides to Adrenalize and yet they turned out better.....
Right never understood why they kept those songs as b-sides, I wonder who make that kind of choices  Huh

No man can be my equal
POPmetal
« Reply #250 on: October 07, 2005, 03:51:47 PM »

Quit you're bitchin'!? Do you ever have anything good to say about music?

Yes. I also have bad things to say about mediocre albums. When bands put out albums just to make money, they're no longer artists, but products. Def Leppard went from a NWOBHM band to a pop-rock band, which is just artistic progression, but their pop-rock to pop-pop was a $ellout. They're no better than Limp Bizkit now from an ethical point of view, even if their music is slightly better.

The only Def Leppard album that can be considered "pop-pop" is X, and that's their worst selling album.

And in theory selling a lot should not equal bad music. On the contrary, good music should sell a lot. The reason that is not the case is because the music industry is an oligopoly. Because of that, the powers that be can basically take any mediocre "artist" and build them up to sell millions. There is no competition between artists. If Limp Bizkit had to compete against Def Leppard, Def Leppard would trounce them music-wise and hence sales-wise. But they don't have to compete against them because every time Def Leppard puts out an album, the general public doesn't even hear about it.

If the recording industry was not consolidated into 4 big companies that don't have any major competition, and if MTV Networks was not a monopoly, things would be completely different.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 03:57:59 PM by popmetal » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #251 on: October 07, 2005, 05:15:34 PM »

People who depend on television and radio for music have bad taste anyway. Even if indie bands were played, they wouldn't be popular.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2005, 05:27:22 PM »

But they don't have to compete against them because every time Def Leppard puts out an album, the general public doesn't even hear about it.

How? Doesn't Kerrang! and metalhammer cover them? What did they do back in the day?

Didn't they have a new video all over MTV not so long ago?

Let's not forget Limp Bizkit only broke it in the UK for what, two albums. The first two didn't even chart. Fuck both of them anyway.

Try building a new rock n' roll band up. Try selling todays rock n' roll to a public who would rather see Tommy Lees balls than experience anything new.
POPmetal
« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2005, 05:31:14 PM »

But they don't have to compete against them because every time Def Leppard puts out an album, the general public doesn't even hear about it.

How? Doesn't Kerrang! and metalhammer cover them? What did they do back in the day?

Didn't they have a new video all over MTV not so long ago?

Not in the US. I don't know of many people that read Kerrang and metalhammer. I wouldn't even know where to buy a copy of those magazines.
POPmetal
« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2005, 05:33:07 PM »

People who depend on television and radio for music have bad taste anyway. Even if indie bands were played, they wouldn't be popular.

most true indie bands are crap
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #255 on: October 07, 2005, 08:01:04 PM »

most true indie bands are crap

Ahh, but the ratio of crap:quality is lower. It's 99:1 for mainstream music, and 90:10 for indie.  Smiley
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #256 on: October 07, 2005, 08:06:38 PM »

Well dont read the thread. If you dont like them fine. Chill out.
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #257 on: October 07, 2005, 08:09:26 PM »

My fave album once again is Retro active, Agree with Izzy saying they choose bad singles cause I think the best on that record is Ring of Fire, Fracture Love, From the Inside (what a freaking solo!? Shocked)
As a Adrenilize is ok but I prefer better Retro, and I still listen their old records and new ones so I can keep in track with them? peace

I agree with you on that . I am listening to Retro right now. Desert Song may be the best song they have written, i cant believe they shelved that, it did actually get alot of airplay here when it was released. I just like the whole vibe of that song as well as the album. The only complaint i had with it was three versions of Miss You In a Heartbeat, other than that, it should have been the proper studio release and the stuff on Adrenalize should have been the b sides. Adrenalize isnt that great imo. Tear It Down and White Lightning are pretty good but the rest is just way too produced and polished. I like the more organinc sound of Leppard. I still remember how disapointed i was when i first heard Euphoria, a big step backwards imo. Slang was a great change and still to this day i think it is there best album, in recent interviews they have been saying they are going back to a more organic and heavier sound again, i sure hope they do.

I too never quite understood some of the choices they have used as singles also. Actually there is quite alot of things they have done regarding promo and what not that left me scratching my head. Hopefully with this change of management things will be different.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 08:24:51 PM by deliverthecow » Logged
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2005, 12:26:31 PM »

I too never quite understood some of the choices they have used as singles also. Actually there is quite alot of things they have done regarding promo and what not that left me scratching my head. Hopefully with this change of management things will be different.

Its fair to say they have played a big part in their downfall

What the hell where they thinking at the PEAK of grunge releasing 'Make love like a man' and 'let's get rocked' as singles! Those are their two silliest songs - and at a time when people wanted harder and heavier material!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #259 on: October 09, 2005, 12:13:57 AM »

Its fair to say they have played a big part in their downfall

What the hell where they thinking at the PEAK of grunge releasing 'Make love like a man' and 'let's get rocked' as singles! Those are their two silliest songs - and at a time when people wanted harder and heavier material!

Exactly. Imagine if they would have put out Desert Song instead. LGR is a fun song at gigs and all but MLLAM is just awful. Looking back on it now it is hard to believe.

Again the management was awful. Q Prime really made some poor decisions. They should have been let go a very long time ago imo. It seems that there is a lot of positive changes going on in the Leppard camp. Hell, Ross Halfin even mentioned it in his online diary, so things must be changing because he tells it like it is, with no bullshit that is for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: