Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 03:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Def Leppard
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Def Leppard  (Read 147769 times)
POPmetal
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2004, 04:43:43 PM »

Yeah, but from what I hear it's yet another greatest hits compilation (check out the news section of www.defleppardsol.com). I don't know why? I mean, they haven't even had any "hits" since The Vault GH compilation was released. What's worse is that the single from it will be Long Long Way To Go. Now, I'll be really happy if the record company actually puts some effort into promotion this time around and it becomes a hit, but I personally find it hard to get excited about it because I've had Long Way since the day X came out. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I can't help but see this as just another attempt from the record company to milk money out of fans. Island/Def Jam records have shafted Def Leppard and its fans so many times that I'm not surprised by this.

Also, the last week of December is the worst time of the year to release an album. Wouldn't any sane marketer release it before that so people can buy it as a Christmas gift?!?! It's like they are mocking this band. If I was in Def Leppard, I would have filed a law suit against the record company a long long time ago. Nobody gets pushed around and screwed over by the music industry more than Def Leppard. But I guess they deserve it if they don't stand up for themselves and do something about it.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2004, 01:25:42 PM »

Yeah, but from what I hear it's yet another greatest hits compilation (check out the news section of www.defleppardsol.com). I don't know why? I mean, they haven't even had any "hits" since The Vault GH compilation was released. What's worse is that the single from it will be Long Long Way To Go. Now, I'll be really happy if the record company actually puts some effort into promotion this time around and it becomes a hit, but I personally find it hard to get excited about it because I've had Long Way since the day X came out. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I can't help but see this as just another attempt from the record company to milk money out of fans. Island/Def Jam records have shafted Def Leppard and its fans so many times that I'm not surprised by this.

Also, the last week of December is the worst time of the year to release an album. Wouldn't any sane marketer release it before that so people can buy it as a Christmas gift?!?! It's like they are mocking this band. If I was in Def Leppard, I would have filed a law suit against the record company a long long time ago. Nobody gets pushed around and screwed over by the music industry more than Def Leppard. But I guess they deserve it if they don't stand up for themselves and do something about it.

Def Leppard do seem to have been screwed by their label - they just haven't had the promotion and have slowly disappeared because of it (okay the music hasn't been stunning either) - i think it was the label that pressured them in the 'pop' direction X ended up as.

Joe Elliott doesn't think its a GH so don't worry - i think that 'rumour' is false - Joe claims its a new album and their working on it at the mo, he wouldn't be drawn on what they're trying to do with it though

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2004, 04:17:36 PM »

08.06.2004 : :PYROMANIA GOES DIAMOND
More than 20 years after its initial 1983 release, the RIAA certified Def Leppard's breakthrough album "PYROMANIA" at the Diamond level last month. A Diamond award is honored to artists who have an album or single that has sold 10 million or more units in the US alone. For Def Leppard, this is their second Diamond award; when the award was introduced in 1999, "HYSTERIA" already received it for 12 million US sales. 

Well done to the lads, classic album which i have had on heavy rotation for some time.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2004, 01:00:11 AM »

Apparently the new album is scheduled for the last week of December beer

Is it new bro? Or GH?
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2004, 03:35:46 PM »

Apparently the new album is scheduled for the last week of December beer

Is it new bro? Or GH?

Joe's latest interview

Why is there so much mystery surrounding the next album, can't you just give us some updates? There's so many rumors!

Well, it's exactly that, it makes rumors go out of hand! We've learned over the years that to let too much of the info out at once can come back to haunt you later on. People ask us "so what happened to this, what happened to that, that's not what you said last week!" And, as it happens, no better example than this next album: we had a plan....we HAVE a plan, but it has changed, and plans keep changing. So, we just don't announce anything until we know 100% that it's gonna happen.
So, the reason why we haven't been giving any updates on the next album, is simply because of all the plans we have, none of them are sure to happen at this moment.

When was the last time a fan bugged you when you really wanted to be left alone and how did you handle that? Or, how do handle such things in general?

Boy, tough question.... But in general, when a fan bugs me when I'm eating, that really gets up my nose!! Also, if I'm trying to have some quality time with let's say, my old lady and someone is following me everywhere I go, it's really hard not to turn round and say "Er.... please go away!!!" But hey, I know what it's like to be a fan myself so I usually try to be as polite as possible. So if anybody ever hears that I was, er, 'rude' to a fan, chances are they were overstepping the mark BIG time as I'm normally pretty patient!

What are your thoughts about re-releasing re-mastered versions of your back catalogue, perhaps with some bonus tracks for each album?

Actually.....it's kind of in the process of being planned as we speak! It will take quite a bit of time though, as I'm the only one who has a collection of all our demos, alternative tracks and all other so-called 'rarities'. I'll need a great amount of time to dig 'em out and go through them, but it will happen sooner or later.....though 'later' seems more likely than 'sooner'!

When Steve passed away and the band knew they had to find someone to replace him, did Pete Willis' name ever come up?

Hmmmmm.....no, can't say that he did!

What question that people keep asking you in interviews are you most sick of?

That would be "Where did you get the name of the band from!?" for sure! I swear.....one more time!!!!!!!

Where did you get the name of the band from?

Fuck off!!!

Have you ever forgotten which city you were in during a concert and said the wrong thing while up on stage?

As in "Hello Cleveland"?? Luckily, no, never! However, I have seen some of our support bands do it.....won't mention any names though!

If fans want to help promoting, what is the best way for them to do that?

That's easy! First, buy whatever new product we have out, that goes without saying. Second, very important: call your local radio station and ask them (nicely, yes) to play it - never underestimate the power of radio!
Another great way to promote us: tell ALL your friends that we're the best band in the world, and if they don't agree, there's something wrong with them! OK, that might be a bit of a stretch, but it's worth a try!!

During the in-the-round tours, did you always share a laundry basket/flight case with the same person on your way to the stage?

NOTE: during the "HYSTERIA"- and "ADRENALIZE"-tours, the band's stage was placed in the middle of the arena, so the band had to be creative to get from dressing rooms to the stage without the audience noticing. The solution: laundry baskets ("HYSTERIA"-tour) and flight cases ("ADRENALIZE"-tour), secretly containing the band members, were being taken to the stage by the road crew a couple of minutes before showtime.
Yes, on both tours we all had our 'partners'. During the entire "HYSTERIA"-tour, I went out with Steve in the laundry basket every night. Apparently I was the only person who could deal with his claustrophobia! I told him jokes, reminded him of funny stuff that'd happened recently, and so on.....it wasn't so hard anymore after about 2 weeks!
On the "ADRENALIZE"-tour, it was always Viv and me in the flight case. 

When did Def Leppard (if ever) get closest to breaking up?

To be perfectly honest....never! Of course, we've had the odd moment where one of us was "out of sorts" but that's quite normal, it's been 25 years so far after all. But that's exactly the great thing about this band: we believe in each other, we support each other, and we stand by each other to the best of our abilities. Maybe, one day, there'll be a chink in our armour, but as of now, there isn't one, thank God! So no, we never really got that close to calling it a day!

What advice would you give to a band trying to make it these days, and how different is it now to when Def Leppard were starting out?

I hate this question, so well done whoever got it in! The best advice I can ever give is "don't listen to advice"! From the start, we always knew what we wanted, so when we got 'advice' from certain quarters, we used to humour them by listening, but then once they'd left the room, we'd burst into hysterics, because those people simply didn't know what we were about, so to speak!
There are a few exceptions though..... The only people we've ever listened to were Mutt because we were SO close to him, our management because we've been with them for so long, and Brian May, because, well, he's Brian May! He's always had our best interests at heart.
For me personally, Ian Hunter has always been great because he doesn't sugarcoat things, but he absolutely knows what's going on from an artistic point of view, so it always makes sense.

Any chance for any live shows this year?

I'm sorry to say that that's probably not gonna happen, no..... Then again, if you look at the first question, I've learned that until we're NOT asked by the 31st of December, anything is possible! But as of right now, it doesn't look like it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 03:41:49 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
POPmetal
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2004, 04:26:31 PM »

I hope the GH rumor is false also, but Joe doesn't really say anything as to whether the next album will be GH or not in that interview. He does seem to imply that they no longer plan to do a covers album by saying the plans have changed. I always thought the covers album was a dumb idea.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2004, 03:33:52 PM »

Def Leppard's 3rd album, Pyromania went diamond last week in the States. 10,000,000 copies sold.

It is their second Diamond album behind Hysteria. Go Def Lep.

I liked their X album, does anyone know if it has went Platium yet?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Dizzy
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2004, 08:45:37 PM »

X has not gone Gold or Platinum in the U.S.

It's truly an amazing feat when a band achieves even one Diamond record, but two is truly astonishing.  Way to go, Def Lep.   ok
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2004, 09:01:52 PM »

X has not gone Gold or Platinum in the U.S.

It's truly an amazing feat when a band achieves even one Diamond record, but two is truly astonishing.  Way to go, Def Lep.   ok
Van Halen also have two Diamond awards.  One for VH1 and one for 1984. ok

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
POPmetal
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2004, 05:45:37 PM »

it looks more and more like the Best Of rumors are true:
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1813778
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2004, 07:46:28 PM »

The new best of is bizzare - its essential just a re-release of ''Vault'' under a new name (exact track list) except ''limited'' edition varieties have a disc 2 with i think one new song and their newer stuff plus vast amounts from Pyromania

I'll be getting it - but they could have done this a little better

Also i think they are releasing all the videos on dvd..again

----------

I have started listening to Euphoria again - damn this is one good album, one of my absolute favourites - okay there is some incredibly cheesy stuff on here - but 80% of this album is pure gold and stuff like Promises and Goodbye is some of the best stuff they have done - the album is proof that Def Leppard didn't ''die'' musically when Steve Clarke passed away - i think Euphoria is as good as their best stuff.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2004, 04:06:17 PM »

On October 25th 2004, one of the biggest British bands in the world, the multi-platinum Def Leppard, will be releasing a "Best Of..." album in the UK, Europe and Japan (a North American release is currently pending). A "Best Of..." DVD will be released worldwide on October 26th.

The CD will come in two formats - a single CD containing 17 of the band's biggest hits such as ANIMAL, POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME, LET'S GET ROCKED and WHEN LOVE & HATE COLLIDE, plus a limited edition double CD featuring another 17 classic songs such as FOOLIN', WASTED, ANOTHER HIT AND RUN and one new track - a cover of the Kinks? WATERLOO SUNSET.

The DVD will feature all the promotional videos made by the band since 1983, plus a number of hidden bonus tracks, such as the 8 minute video of WHEN LOVE & HATE COLLIDE.

TRACKLISTING SINGLE CD
POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME
PHOTOGRAPH
LOVE BITES
LET'S GET ROCKED
TWO STEPS BEHIND
ANIMAL
HEAVEN IS
ROCKET
WHEN LOVE & HATE COLLIDE
ACTION
LONG, LONG WAY TO GO
MAKE LOVE LIKE A MAN
ARMAGEDDON IT
HAVE YOU EVER NEEDED SOMEONE SO BAD
ROCK OF AGES
HYSTERIA
BRINGIN' ON THE HEARTBREAK

TRACKLISTING LTD. ED. CD 2
ROCK! ROCK! (TILL YOU DROP)
WATERLOO SUNSET
PROMISES
SLANG
FOOLIN'
NOW
ROCK BRIGADE
WOMEN
LET IT GO
TOO LATE FOR LOVE
HIGH 'N' DRY (SATURDAY NIGHT)
WORK IT OUT
BILLY'S GOT A GUN
ANOTHER HIT AND RUN
STAND UP (KICK LOVE INTO MOTION)
WASTED
DIE HARD THE HUNTER

http://www.bestofdefleppard.com/
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2004, 06:48:15 AM »

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=14582.120

U want this thread.

As for the best of - i made my views there.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2004, 03:10:21 AM »

Euphoria was awesome, I'll say it again. The first track "Demolition Man" really is great and gets you pumped. I think it's the next few tracks are kind of weak, but after that, to me it really sounds like the DL of the old.

Promises wasn't one of my favs, but when I heard it live in concert I loved it.

GH is such a crock, I won't buy it, no way.....I already have vault 2x's. Once for me and my step-daughter has a copy too.  hihi

Oh well...they'll release something again sooner or later...they always do. I'm so glad they stuck together, and grateful when they tour, I cought 'em 3 times in the last 3 years.
POPmetal
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2004, 03:16:49 AM »

Euphoria was awesome, I'll say it again. The first track "Demolition Man" really is great and gets you pumped. I think it's the next few tracks are kind of weak, but after that, to me it really sounds like the DL of the old.

Yeah I love that album. It's one of the best albums that came out of the 90s. I really like Back In Your Face.  21st Century Sha La La La Girl is one of the best songs ever! And Paper Sun is just amazing!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2004, 02:58:24 AM »

Yeah I love that album. It's one of the best albums that came out of the 90s. I really like Back In Your Face.? 21st Century Sha La La La Girl is one of the best songs ever! And Paper Sun is just amazing!

Yea I forgot to mention that one.....21st century girl is great.

Paper Sun has a classic DL vibe to it, I think anyway, with great guitarwork near the end. It's an awesome song while you are on the road just driving.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2004, 10:32:33 AM »

Euphoria really is classic Def Leppard - if it had come out 10 years earlier it would have sold zillions

Promises and Goodbye are awesome and most of the tracks are of the highest order - there are a couple though that are cringe inducing, but overall Def Leppard proved with Euphoria they stil have it and can recreate the Def Leppard sound even without Steve Clarke

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2004, 03:30:57 PM »

Well I haven't heard that record, But I guess Is a Must so I'm going to get it.  yes

No man can be my equal
darkdays_01
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2004, 08:17:41 PM »

Promises wasn't one of my favs, but when I heard it live in concert I loved it.

GH is such a crock, I won't buy it, no way.....I already have vault 2x's. Once for me and my step-daughter has a copy too.? hihi

Oh well...they'll release something again sooner or later...they always do. I'm so glad they stuck together, and grateful when they tour, I cought 'em 3 times in the last 3 years.
I agree this GH's thing is a crock, i really dont know what is going on with these guys, i suppose this New GH's is a record company idea, because i have read that Phil Collen and Viv Campbell absolutely had nothing to do with this, not real sure what to think about Def Lep anymore, they get a little momentum going and dont release any new material for atleast three years, I would have been happy with another Retro Active type of record, there are some really great songs that didnt make the cut from the Slang, Euphoria and X records that i am sure alot of people would really dig. I guess they are also still planning to release the "covers" disk as well, i just wish they would release a killer rock record,  i always like to support a band , but i definitely will not be buying this new Best Of, anyhow whats up Punk  peace
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »

From Def Leppard.com

Only a little over a week after the band's "BEST OF" compilation album was released in the UK, it has been certified gold: at this time, more than 120,000 copies of the album have been sold already. Once again, thanks for all your support!

That's truly amazing! For an album that was released 9 years ago - then simply turned out with new artwork, Def Leppard are clearly still huge in the UK - okay i'd imagine sales will slump after good first week sales but all the same not many band's achieve such high first week sales over here as that.

And yes, i bought it - strangely there is two version -  a two disk one and a one disk version which is just vault + long, long way to go.

The next album is a covers album of songs from the 70's - it says in the album notes - Waterloo Sunset (on disc two) is decribed as a 'teaser' for this album

Fuck's sake Leppard - enough covers and GH's - we want Hysteria again!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: