Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 08:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228123 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Spanish court sentences Imad Yarkas
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spanish court sentences Imad Yarkas  (Read 22385 times)
POPmetal
« on: October 02, 2005, 06:36:57 PM »

Prosecutors had pressed for a murder charge to be brought against al Qaeda cell leader Imad Yarkas for helping the 9/11 hijackers, and sought sentences of 74,000 years on behalf of the victims of the attacks. But the Spanish court only gave him 27. After that he'll be able free to recruit and indoctrinate more would be terrorists for al qaeda.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4282764.stm
from BBC news
Profile: Imad Yarkas
A Spanish court has sentenced Syrian-born Imad Yarkas to 27 years for conspiracy to commit murder in connection with the 11 September attacks in the US.
He was also convicted being a member of a terrorist organisation.

Prosecutors had hoped to jail Yarkas for 25 years for each of the 2,973 people killed in the 2001 attacks.

But he was found guilty of the lesser charge of conspiracy and given 15 years. He received another 12 for

leading a terror organisation.

Yarkas, 42, also known as Abu Dahdah, is said to have recruited and indoctrinated candidates to be sent for military training in Afghanistan.

Along with co-defendant Driss Chebli, Yarkas is said to have set up a meeting in July 2001, which was allegedly attended by Mohamed Atta - the attacker who piloted one of the hijacked planes into the Twin Towers - and Ramzi Binalshibh, another top 9/11 suspect who has been in US custody since being arrested in Pakistan in September 2002.

Chebli, who had also faced the full multiple murder charges, was sentenced to six years for collaboration.

Yarkas described himself as a businessman dealing in second-hand cars. He was arrested in November 2001, about four years after Spanish police began tapping his telephone.

His number was found by German police in the Hamburg flat believed to have been used by two of the hijackers - including Mohamed Atta. Atta's phone number was also found in Yarkas' European contacts, according to investigating Judge Baltasar Garzon.

Two weeks before the 11 September attacks, Yarkas is said to have received a phone call in which a man called "Shakur" - later identified as Farid Hilali - told him in cryptic language: "We've entered the field of aviation, and we've even cut the throat of the bird."

This was taken to be a reference to the final stage in preparing the attacks - even though the US commission that investigated the 11 September events found no evidence to link "Shakur" to the plot.

Edit: Subject changed since the poster spits in the face of all Spanish members on this board. /jarmo
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 12:30:49 PM by jarmo » Logged
Surfrider
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:07:34 PM »

Unless someone is Spanish I am not sure how one should comment on this.? I know nothing of the law there, nor how the sentencing guidelines work.? I don't know what evidence they had against him, nor whether being guilty of conspiracy also makes one guilty of all crimes in furtherance of, or foreseeable, from the conspiracy.? Outside of such info, the title to the thread is unwarranted.

Should he have gotten more, of course if he actually conspired.? But whether it was the court's fault or whether it was terrible laws is beyond my, and I would guess most people on this boards, level of knowledge to place an opinion on.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 07:11:02 PM by BerkeleyRiot » Logged
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 07:11:26 PM »

Unless someone is Spanish I am not sure how one should comment on this.? I know nothing of the law there, nor how the sentencing guidelines work.? I don't know what evidence they had against him, nor whether being guilty of conspiracy also makes one guilty of all crimes in furtherance of, or foreseeable, from the conspiracy.? Outside of such info, the title to the thread is unwarranted.

Should he have gotten more, of course if he actually conspired.? But whether it was the courts fault or terrible laws is beyond my, and I would guess most people on this boards, level of knowledge to place an opinion on.

Giving a conspirator of 9/11 the benefit of the doubt is pathetic.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Surfrider
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 07:14:39 PM »

Should he have gotten more, of course if he actually conspired.? But whether it was the courts fault or terrible laws is beyond my, and I would guess most people on this boards, level of knowledge to place an opinion on.

Did you read the fucking post?  My gosh . . .

I said I don't know whether it was the Spanish court's fault for this or whether it was terrible laws.  A judge is supposed to follow laws, not make them up on their own.  To claim that the court spit in the face of 911 victims is pretty strong words.  Absent any knowledge of the laws, I think it is unwarranted.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 07:47:05 PM »

Did you read the fucking post?? My gosh . . .

I said I don't know whether it was the Spanish court's fault for this or whether it was terrible laws.? A judge is supposed to follow laws, not make them up on their own.? To claim that the court spit in the face of 911 victims is pretty strong words.? Absent any knowledge of the laws, I think it is unwarranted.

I was referring to the Spanish legal system, not your post.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Surfrider
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »

Did you read the fucking post?? My gosh . . .

I said I don't know whether it was the Spanish court's fault for this or whether it was terrible laws.? A judge is supposed to follow laws, not make them up on their own.? To claim that the court spit in the face of 911 victims is pretty strong words.? Absent any knowledge of the laws, I think it is unwarranted.

I was referring to the Spanish legal system, not your post.

I apologize then hihi  Sorry.

You quoted me when you wrote it, so I was misled.   peace
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 10:51:55 AM »

A question:

Since the act, itself, took place on US Soil...how does the Spanish court system have "jurisdiction"?? I wonder if that's why only the conspiracy charge and membership charge held up...it's the only incident's that actually occurred IN SPAIN.? Therefore, they were the only charges the Spanish Court could hear.

I think the guy should be extradited to the US to stand trial on the conspiracy to commit murder, etc.

He'd likely think 74000 years in prison would look good.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 12:06:41 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 11:43:13 AM »

Prosecutors had pressed for a murder charge to be brought against al Qaeda cell leader Imad Yarkas for helping the 9/11 hijackers, and sought sentences of 74,000 years on behalf of the victims of the attacks. But the Spanish court only gave him 27. After that he'll be able free to recruit and indoctrinate more would be terrorists for al qaeda.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4282764.stm
from BBC news
Profile: Imad Yarkas
A Spanish court has sentenced Syrian-born Imad Yarkas to 27 years for conspiracy to commit murder in connection with the 11 September attacks in the US.
He was also convicted being a member of a terrorist organisation.

Prosecutors had hoped to jail Yarkas for 25 years for each of the 2,973 people killed in the 2001 attacks.

But he was found guilty of the lesser charge of conspiracy and given 15 years. He received another 12 for

leading a terror organisation.

Yarkas, 42, also known as Abu Dahdah, is said to have recruited and indoctrinated candidates to be sent for military training in Afghanistan.

Along with co-defendant Driss Chebli, Yarkas is said to have set up a meeting in July 2001, which was allegedly attended by Mohamed Atta - the attacker who piloted one of the hijacked planes into the Twin Towers - and Ramzi Binalshibh, another top 9/11 suspect who has been in US custody since being arrested in Pakistan in September 2002.

Chebli, who had also faced the full multiple murder charges, was sentenced to six years for collaboration.

Yarkas described himself as a businessman dealing in second-hand cars. He was arrested in November 2001, about four years after Spanish police began tapping his telephone.

His number was found by German police in the Hamburg flat believed to have been used by two of the hijackers - including Mohamed Atta. Atta's phone number was also found in Yarkas' European contacts, according to investigating Judge Baltasar Garzon.

Two weeks before the 11 September attacks, Yarkas is said to have received a phone call in which a man called "Shakur" - later identified as Farid Hilali - told him in cryptic language: "We've entered the field of aviation, and we've even cut the throat of the bird."

This was taken to be a reference to the final stage in preparing the attacks - even though the US commission that investigated the 11 September events found no evidence to link "Shakur" to the plot.

Man, some of you don't really have any idea of what's going on. The reason why I don't normally post in al the politics related thread is because pretty much every post there is either stupid or has been posted 20 times. There are a few members though whose posts are worth reading. They know who they are...

Let me shed some light here.

First of all, you should change that title. It's offensive and far away from the truth, not too mention, your own interpretation of such article.

Ok, some of you need to know that the reason why this guy has been taken to court in Spain is because he belonged to an Al-Qaida branch that had been operating in Spain for a while now. Yes, the attacks were aimed to the US, but as some of you may know, the planning of such attacks was held in Spain.

Our law system is different than America's. We, for one, don't support death penalty and don't have lifetime penalties. The longest penalty for any criminal is 30 years. So it doesn't really matter if the prosecutor seeks sentences of 74,000 years when they will get 30 max. I know, I'm not particulary too happy with our system, but then again, legal systems aren't flawless.

One more thing, do your homework before posting. Spanish authorities have arrested many terrorists linked to the 9-11 attacks. More than any other country in the world. That and our support to the US war against Irak cost 197 lives in 2004 when 3 bombs went off in Madrid.

On a side note. This is why these political threads don't ever appeal to me. This one did cause I had to clarify a few facts since I'm spanish, but some of you would just post an article an make up a whole different story out of it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 12:07:31 PM »

Ahhhh, some answers.

Thanks Ignatius.? That clears up a lot!

Gotta love facts, eh?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 12:22:35 PM »

Ahhhh, some answers.

Thanks Ignatius.  That clears up a lot!

Gotta love facts, eh?

Well he might yes.

I doubt the person who started the thread do though.
Surfrider
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 12:27:51 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Again, I am not sure how conspiracy works in Spain.  If you are guilty of conspiracy, are you guilty of the underlying crime and all crimes in furtherance thereof?  The article claims that the prosecutors were trying to pile on years for each individual that was killed.  That is a very technical legal argument that goes toward statutory interpretation and the sentencing guidelines. 

Do you know the answer to either of these questions Ignatius?
POPmetal
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 05:32:49 PM »

Let me shed some light here.

First of all, you should change that title. It's offensive and far away from the truth, not too mention, your own interpretation of such article.

It's offensive that a legal system exists, which would not put away for life an al Qaeda cell leader linked to the killing of 2,973 people.

Ok, some of you need to know that the reason why this guy has been taken to court in Spain is because he belonged to an Al-Qaida branch that had been operating in Spain for a while now. Yes, the attacks were aimed to the US, but as some of you may know, the planning of such attacks was held in Spain.

Our law system is different than America's. We, for one, don't support death penalty and don't have lifetime penalties. The longest penalty for any criminal is 30 years. So it doesn't really matter if the prosecutor seeks sentences of 74,000 years when they will get 30 max. I know, I'm not particulary too happy with our system, but then again, legal systems aren't flawless.

The least they could have done is given him the maximum 30 years.

One more thing, do your homework before posting. Spanish authorities have arrested many terrorists linked to the 9-11 attacks. More than any other country in the world.

Could that be because terrorists find it advantageous to do their planning in Spain, and more terrorists operate there? In light of this ruling, I can see why Mr. Yarkas would choose to operate from Spain. 27 years from now he'll be free to recruit more suicide bombers for Al Qaeda

That and our support to the US war against Irak cost 197 lives in 2004 when 3 bombs went off in Madrid.

This says it all right here! Never mind the fact that bin Laden considered Spain an Islamic apostate that should be re-conquered by Islam long before the war in Iraq started. No! It's Spain's initial support for the war in Iraq that caused the Madrid bombing Roll Eyes The fact that you would blame the war in Iraq for the 3/11 bombing tells me all I need to know about your view point.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:42:29 PM by popmetal » Logged
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 06:10:29 PM »

Could that be because terrorists find it advantageous to do their planning in Spain, and more terrorists operate there? In light of this ruling, I can see why Mr. Yarkas would choose to operate from Spain. 27 years from now he'll be free to recruit more suicide bombers for Al Qaeda

the guy will be 69 years old when he is released...the threat pretty much eliminated...you speak like 27 years is a couple of years...27 years is a hell of a long time...or are you envisaging that you will still be looking for terrorists and invading other countries 27 years from now?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Surfrider
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 06:20:57 PM »

the guy will be 69 years old when he is released...the threat pretty much eliminated...you speak like 27 years is a couple of years...27 years is a hell of a long time...or are you envisaging that you will still be looking for terrorists and invading other countries 27 years from now?

It may be a long time, but the man conspired to kill 2,000 people.  Those killed are gone forever.  Should someone like that ever be let out?  I don't think so.  What is the age of Bin Laden or Al Zawhiri?  They seem pretty old.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 06:36:19 PM »

It may be a long time, but the man conspired to kill 2,000 people.  Those killed are gone forever.  Should someone like that ever be let out?  I don't think so.  What is the age of Bin Laden or Al Zawhiri?  They seem pretty old.

there was not enough evidence to convict him of any murders...the people directly responsible for the murders were on the planes...conspiracy is one crime and murder is far more serious...you should also consider that the prosecutor requested access to another al queda operative who was in US custody but was refused by the Bush administration...the Bush administration obviously not interested in yarkas being convicted of said crimes or they would have given access to him without question hmmm...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
POPmetal
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 06:49:31 PM »

It may be a long time, but the man conspired to kill 2,000 people.? Those killed are gone forever.? Should someone like that ever be let out?? I don't think so.? What is the age of Bin Laden or Al Zawhiri?? They seem pretty old.

there was not enough evidence to convict him of any murders...the people directly responsible for the murders were on the planes...conspiracy is one crime and murder is far more serious...you should also consider that the prosecutor requested access to another al queda operative who was in US custody but was refused by the Bush administration...the Bush administration obviously not interested in yarkas being convicted of said crimes or they would have given access to him without question hmmm...

Charles Manson did not personally kill anyone, but he's in prison for life.

Isn't is interesting that the same person who makes excuses for Mr. Yarkas not being sent away for life, somehow manages to pin the blame for this on Bush as well?
Axls Locomotive
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 06:58:36 PM »

Isn't is interesting that the same person who makes excuses for Mr. Yarkas not being sent away for life, somehow manages to pin the blame for this on Bush as well?

i make no excuses...27 years, my opinion, slightly lenient, should have been around 35-40 years...i pin no blame on bush for any crimes apart from hindering an investigation into those conspiracy charges...you have to have all the facts,and that was not true of this particular investigation...

(Winston Churchill)"
Surfrider
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 07:05:54 PM »

It may be a long time, but the man conspired to kill 2,000 people.? Those killed are gone forever.? Should someone like that ever be let out?? I don't think so.? What is the age of Bin Laden or Al Zawhiri?? They seem pretty old.

there was not enough evidence to convict him of any murders...the people directly responsible for the murders were on the planes...conspiracy is one crime and murder is far more serious...
In the United States if you are conspire to commit a crime and the crime is committed, then you are also guilty of the crime.  Here, murder.  The Spanish system must not have the same conspiracy laws.

you should also consider that the prosecutor requested access to another al queda operative who was in US custody but was refused by the Bush administration...the Bush administration obviously not interested in yarkas being convicted of said crimes or they would have given access to him without question hmmm...
Yah, I am sure that is the case.  I am sure the Bush Administration wants him loose. Roll Eyes
Surfrider
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 07:07:35 PM »

i make no excuses...27 years, my opinion, slightly lenient, should have been around 35-40 years...i pin no blame on bush for any crimes apart from hindering an investigation into those conspiracy charges...you have to have all the facts,and that was not true of this particular investigation...
A charge that he was convicted with.? Here the crime is not on the Bush Administration, the Spanish Judge, nor the Spanish prosecutors.? Here, the crime is on the Spanish legal system which seems to have too soft of sentencing for criminals.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 07:11:06 PM »

It's offensive that a legal system exists, which would not put away for life an al Qaeda cell leader linked to the killing of 2,973 people.

Ok.. I could post a lot of offensive things here but I won't.

The least they could have done is given him the maximum 30 years.

Maybe the system hasn't been tried with this kind of cases before?

But I guess you're the expert on Spanish law.

This says it all right here! Never mind the fact that bin Laden considered Spain an Islamic apostate that should be re-conquered by Islam long before the war in Iraq started. No! It's Spain's initial support for the war in Iraq that caused the Madrid bombing Roll Eyes The fact that you would blame the war in Iraq for the 3/11 bombing tells me all I need to know about your view point.

Funny how you seem to claim the war and the Madrid bombings had nothing to do with each other. Is there proof that you're right? How about the first London bombings? I guess those weren't caused by the war either?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: