Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228480 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  There hasn't been a major innovation in music, since the birth of Grunge
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: There hasn't been a major innovation in music, since the birth of Grunge  (Read 11275 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2005, 04:30:40 PM »

Emo is the big "innovation" in rock right now, which all my friends listen to.  There's only one problem.

It sucks balls.
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005, 11:24:12 AM »

Moving along from the wonders of ambient black metal (a genre of such quality no such band has actually sold any albums yet...)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there actually any new direction for music, especially rock, to take?

Rock has been fused with rap, with dance, with orchestral sections, its even been done without guitars

If u set up a band with the deliberate intention of doing something new in the rock genre - what the hell would it be? Hasn't everything been tried?

Does a 'new direction' of rock music in the mainstream really mean that much to you? A band that are trying to fit into a type of music that's becoming trendy doesn't mean they're any good.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005, 01:20:11 PM »

Do you even realize Bathory is from Sweden? English is a notoriously difficult language to learn for non-native speakers. The lyrics are very good, even if they aren't Shakespeare. They are descriptive because they're telling a story, like in a concept album. Sometimes aesthetics have to compromised to uphold the story. That's just how it is.

If you've heard the song, you would know it's very emotional and sad. Bathory's music isn't dramatic, it's true emotion. It really reflects feelings and ideals. You should listen to the songs before you criticize them.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005, 01:22:22 PM »

Emo is the big "innovation" in rock right now, which all my friends listen to.  There's only one problem.

It sucks balls.

Emo is a misnomer. Dra would be more appropriate. It's not emotional, it's acting, like in a play. It's drama. If you don't like how rock is looking, go off to metal or punk or classical or anything else. And turn off the radio and television!  ok
squeezeboxwho
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 04:17:11 PM »

I agree, grunge was one of the last good styles of music-the only other one around that time possibly being industrial. There's not much to say for today's music: all hip-hop and EMO garbage.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2005, 04:26:20 PM »

Turn off the radio and television and listen to great new bands like Torture Squad and Xasthur.
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2005, 07:48:31 PM »

there is always something brewing under the surface of the mainstream-   grunge and rap were the last two things to be 'plucked' out and shared with the rest of the world. 

a major innovation does not just happen,  Grunge just happend-  it came in with a bang and fizzled away-  who would have thought a bunch of junkies screaming and banging on guitars would'nt last?     it was a scene that the kids loved to be a part of- it was in the streets-  and then it was marketed and sold to the masses-  grunge was not about making money- it was about being depressed, being pissed on and being pissed off.   

rap music started in the street too, then it was marketed and sold to the masses- the big difference is the people making rap music are all too happy to be sold, thats why it is still around today. 

"I used to be with IT, then they changed what IT was, now what im with is is'nt it anymore, and whats IT seems weird and scary"
"not me man-  i'm gonna keep rocking forever... forever"
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »

Black metal has its share of mainstream adherants. Look at Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth. Death metal has 6 Feet Under and Cannibal Corpse. This happens to all scenes.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2005, 02:49:11 AM »

Mmmm nothing like Death Metal in the mornin'...    Huh

I personally don't like the stuff at all.. but I think it's cool you do. So peace  peace love

Sooner or later theres going to be a mega band that changes things again.. we'll just have to wait and see.

gnrevolution.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: