Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 11:19:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Got to know Slash's Snakepit
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got to know Slash's Snakepit  (Read 8751 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 02:31:27 AM »

I love both 5 oclock and alg slash really plays great.. I will have to agree it is common to bash snakepit *guess because axl wasn't involved*. Rod jackson simply rocks his ass off and slash solos n riffs were kick ass. Real great rock album, very underrated..
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 04:13:12 AM »

Lynn and/or Grouse.
No point in expressing yourself as I never took it as insults but as missunderstanding.
Grouse,   quiting '...50th time I am answering Snakepit bashers or fans who may be interestied in it on this forum' - meaning,   this is the 50th topic about the same subject - not getting defensive,  but as I said,  very happy that someone opened up a positive topic about it.
Usually,  people go on the 'Pit in some 'axl vs slash',  matt vs adler topic saying that Slash hasnćt done anything worthy since GNR days.
Anyway,   since both you and I are just saying same thing for two days.
Let's cut it short.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 09:45:16 AM »

Lynn and/or Grouse.
No point in expressing yourself as I never took it as insults but as missunderstanding.
Grouse, quiting '...50th time I am answering Snakepit bashers or fans who may be interestied in it on this forum' - meaning, this is the 50th topic about the same subject - not getting defensive, but as I said, very happy that someone opened up a positive topic about it.
Usually, people go on the 'Pit in some 'axl vs slash', matt vs adler topic saying that Slash hasnćt done anything worthy since GNR days.
Anyway, since both you and I are just saying same thing for two days.
Let's cut it short.

Agreed.  I don't like any arguing back & forth in forums, anyway,  so I'll stop.  Just had to get my 2 cents worth in, but I do see where you are coming from, and thanks for your honest responses.  So, we'll put it behind us and move on!  We'll keep this as a positive topic this time.  peace     
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 09:50:14 AM »

ALG is a really underrated album.  It rocks, but it's the kind of rock n' roll that I like - kick ass.  I liked Rod Jackson, actually, although he just kind of faded away back into oblivion, didn't he?  My favorite song is Mean Bone.   
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 12:26:42 PM »

Well... Don't ask me choose a tune or two off ALG cause I honestly think there are too many and I can't be objective about that.
Back to the moment,   Been there lately,  Shine,  Mean bone,  ALG, Landslide...
If I missed out any,  I could be wrong.
As far as underrated albums go,  I have to go back to It's 5 o'clock...,  manz great tunes from What do you want to be,  Neither can I,  Lower,  Beggars ang hangers on,   Be the ball...,  again very,  very good album that for some unknown reason went down or has not been discovered yet,  despite the fact 11 years have passed.
I  prefer to say that not only Rod and Slash were good,  but it was a bend that everyone just fit in perfectly and played like some other great band, despite the fact only Slash has been a part of an major rock extravaganza till then.
Back im march,  I met another one of 'mine' - Gilby.
He plyed here with MC5 and I met him both during rehersal and after the gig.
We had a long chat about both ex Gunners and Snakepit.
He has not only surprised me how openly he could talk about them to an total stranger,   but he also mentioned that he plays very often with Johnny Griparic (now this one is really mine.  My countryman.),  and that Johnny,  Rod and Ryan Roxie (who is also Gilbys friend), play together most of the time together in California.
True,  he also mentioned that Roxie married a girl from Sweden and will be moving to Europe,   so I guess there might be more chances in seeing him in 80' rock band EUROPE who are also back meanwhile Smiley
Just like Lynn,  I was too impressed with Rod's vocal abilities up to the point that I am still convinced that Rod was by far the greatest singer Slash worked till today' day.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2005, 12:36:57 PM »

Hi guys how are yoiu doing, I honestly think the first Snakepit album, was better than the second one for me, but what is certainly truth, is that both are great..
GeraldFord
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 08:52:51 AM »

I listened to IFOS last night and think it's held up really well. Great production (better than UYI) and Slash's playing is amazing.
slashvr86
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 11:10:25 AM »

i like both albums but i liked eric drover better, rod jackson didnt do it for me at all
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »

I listened to IFOS last night and think it's held up really well. Great production (better than UYI) and Slash's playing is amazing.

Coincidentally, I listened to some of it yesterday for the first time in well over a year, and made that same observation about the production.
GeraldFord
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »

It's amazing what happens in a mere 3.5 years or so, but the technology was really so much better in '95 than in '91.
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2007, 04:22:32 PM »

i only recently started listening to the first album again..i really like it...a lot of great guitar work, lots of variation within the songs but the singer could have been better

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
the Garden
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 04:35:27 PM »

I agree with a lot of you guys, the second snakepit album is one of the best projects that Slash has been a part of. I think as a whole cd it is much stronger than contraband was. I never skip any songs on Ain't Life Grand but I find myself skipping through 4 or 5 songs on contraband constantly. Slash's work on the Snakepit albums was just much more complex and technically intricate then his solo's on contraband. Some people say Slash has lost his touch but I think that is bull shit. I think he is just not on the same page with Scott as much lyrically so when he works on solo's I think he just creates things differently to better fit what Scott is doing. On contraband all of my favorite tracks are the slower tracks that seem to have more of a clear train of thought. Take for example You got no right and Fall to Peices, I think they are two of the stronger tracks on the album and they lyrically follow more of a more understandable thought patter. To contrast this other songs like Sucker Train Blues are more in your face and a lot of the lyrics are not understood by most people. The lyrics "its been a long year since you've been gone, been a long year of gowin old" are more understandable then "somebody rapped my tapeworm abortion come on motherfuckers its the miracele mile."

Im curious to see what Slash does on Libertad, I really like She Build's Quick Machines but again its one of those songs where it is not as lyrically coherent. Either way though VR is a pretty decent band but right now I don't think that they are better than Snakepit. Since Audioslave recently broke up I have started to wonder if all of the "supergroups" will not last. If VR ever does break up I hope Matt, Slash, and Duff make a new Snakepit. Hell speaking of Audioslave I think Slash and Chris Cornell could crank out a great album except Cornell has since said that he does not think he needs a band anymore. I still like to think though that if Slash ever gave him a call, Cornell would be smart enough to say hell yes. That a different topic though and back to the original point I still think that VR will continue to grow but a part of my would like to have seen another album from snakepit with the same lineup as the guys from Ain't Life Grand.

"So bittersweat this tragedy, won't ask for absoloution. This melody inside of me still searches for a soloution."
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »

Both Snakepit albums have grown on me a lot. Each has some bad-ass guitar work. Sometimes I find the lyrics a little on the cheesy side, but overall I recommend people listen to them a bunch of times before they make any sort of judgement on them.

I'd like Slash to do a solo album with different musicians and vocalists. I'd love to hear him work with Iggy Pop, David Johansen of the New York Dolls along with some newer guys like Chris Cornell.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 06:17:39 PM »

Too bad the albums still aren't available for download. Embarrassed

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »

Version 1 I think made a great album that is among the best of the ex-members solo work. ALG I didn't like at all, mainly because of Jackson's vocals.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2007, 11:35:37 PM »

Too bad the albums still aren't available for download. Embarrassed

I think you can get the first one on itunes these days.

Anyway....I LOVE the first snakepit album...one of the best records ever I think, to me it basicly sounds kinda like how AFD might have if GNR hadn't had axl. That is killer riffs and solos....and average singing thats still pretty cool.

When i first heard the 2nd album at first i was disapointed cos I'd expected another album the same as the first one...like old school rock...but then i grew to love some of the riffs and stuff on it too...and theres some amazing work...like serial killer...wow....but I do find rod jackson's voice kinda irritating...then again he was cool live...so hard to say.....

Great albums anyway!
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 12:15:49 AM »

I love ALG.  I actually like Rod Jackson's vocals.  I think it's a great album.  Love it. 
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 12:18:43 AM »

Anyway....I LOVE the first snakepit album...one of the best records ever I think, to me it basicly sounds kinda like how AFD might have if GNR hadn't had axl. That is killer riffs and solos....and average singing thats still pretty cool.

When i first heard the 2nd album at first i was disapointed cos I'd expected another album the same as the first one...like old school rock...but then i grew to love some of the riffs and stuff on it too...and theres some amazing work...like serial killer...wow....but I do find rod jackson's voice kinda irritating...then again he was cool live...so hard to say.....

Great albums anyway!

Is Monkeychow, by any chance, your favorite song off the album?? ?hihi (not insulting, just trying to be stupidly funny)
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 12:41:16 AM »

hihi

Yeah guess it was obvious i wasn't going to post a negative snakepit review!!

yeah i love my namesake, and also "Soma City Ward" and "Dime Store Rock" (and the rest of the album lol) but those songs rock so hard....

Don't get me salivating about how if Axl had sung on the record...it'd be like the #1 album ever if you throw in Axl's more complex lyrics and awesome singing style with those killer riffs. (Monkeychow goes off into fantasy land)... drool

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 01:28:06 AM »

Funny!

I'm not that sold, on the first one, but I didn't hear it, when it first came out - it was years later.   But, I do understand the whole thing about it being the first one released, right in the middle of GnR, and how it was material that should have been that, but wasn't.  It's still a good album, the more I listen to it.  It's really a shame that things broke down, so much, at that point, that it wasn't incorporated with Axl's ideas and could have been the next GnR album.  Wasn't meant to be, I guess.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: