Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 11:20:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Got to know Slash's Snakepit
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got to know Slash's Snakepit  (Read 8753 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« on: September 19, 2005, 01:28:27 PM »

Some people here are always claiming that Snakepit sucked. It's time for them to give it a try. Or another try. Download Shine and Good to be Alive from www.slashonline.com

It's pure fuckin' rock and roll. Simply amazing, two of Slash's best works ever. Those killer riffs and solos  drool (that I miss in VR but that's another story)  ok

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:30:24 PM »

I like Snakepit's second album but not their first.

"Serial Killer" has one of Slash's best solos ever.  there are overall some great riffs on the 2nd album.  the first one was too much of a jam session to be a good album.
purplehaze1988
Rocker

nur ihr konnt holland stoppen

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 01:41:20 PM »

didnt like the first, but got the japanese import of aint life grand.

if youre gonna get the album, get it form japan, the bonus tracks are two of the best on the album.

I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 06:51:11 PM »

I only have the first album, and its grown on me over time.  I'm not at all familiar with the second album.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 07:04:52 PM »

I could never get into the 2nd album at all. The first one had a few decent tracks , as Rob said it did grow on me over time as well, but i just couldnt get into it like i did Duff, Izzy and Gilby's solo stuff. 'Aint Life Grand' did have some damn good guitar work but the songs are weak and the singer just ruined it for me. I thought Eric Dover sounded decent on 'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere'. If i still had 'Aint Life Grand' i would give it a few more spins, i honestly tried to like it but the vocals imo suck. Sorry peace
Clarepants
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 07:21:52 PM »

Thanks man, I was lookin for stuff to put on my ipod  ok
I like Beggars and Hangers on, but I really love Shine.  Does anyone have a proper version of Shine they could post by the way...  Thanks  hihi
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 12:46:14 AM »

Wasn't real thrilled by the first version.  Loved the 2nd CD - pure rock n' roll.
purplehaze1988
Rocker

nur ihr konnt holland stoppen

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 01:35:35 PM »

both singers are very..... er, different. but rod jackson is better.

I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 05:12:47 PM »

i preffer the first album, more blues.

html sucks
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 07:36:49 PM »

I think the first one was a damn fine album. Some of those tunes really kicked as and I still listen to them today.. I hated the second version of Snakepit though and I had high expectations for them too... Rod Jackson was terrible and his lyrics were even worse....

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 10:18:45 PM »

Aint Life Grand fucking rocks!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 11:06:13 AM »

I like the first album, I don't like the rest of the band on Snakepit 2, just Slash.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 02:59:30 PM »

The guitar playing on the first snakepit album is one of slash's finest moments.
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 06:15:31 AM »

OK,  this is the 50th or so time I am anwering Snakepit bashers or some other fans who may be interested in Snakepit lbums.
Snakepit 2 isnot good,  it is excellent piuece of work both musically and lyricaly!
It is the most mature piece of work Slash ever did and I would always prefer it over Contrabend.
Actually,  many may disagree due to nostalgia,   Ain't life grand IS more mature even over GNR albums where we all lkearned to love the guys.
Top to bottom - excellent piece of work.
Also,   It's 5 o'clock...,  is the most underrated album along with Pumpkins' Adore.
People here are just to bious.
Axl lovers bash the rest.
Steven lovers bash Matt.
GNR lovers bash Snakepit.
Get a life!
Axl was a dick to everyone (not only to his bandmates,  in fact,  yes,  even to you!  He is the reason you don't have any GNR tunes since 91,   not the guys),  so they left him.
Matt is way better drummer and person who fit in where Steven HAS let the band down,  remember,  there wouldn't be any IYI tour 91-93 if it was for Steven and not Matt.
Snakepit is the next steep in life of a person who was forced to leave just like the rest of the band.
Imagine,  you leave the job,  find a better one,  do your best and someone constantly bashes you cause one who does totally different thing,  prefers you work in your old company.
Get a life and ACCEPT things.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 10:18:08 AM »

GNR - Croatia, no one here was bashing anything!!  Most of the comments were very positive.  The first post was an invite to listen to Good to be Alive and Shine, because they are good songs.  Some comments were made that one album was preferred over another, maybe, but everyone has different tastes and it's only an opinion.  No one said anything about not liking Snakepit or compared anything to GnR.  You are the one who came on here and started bashing everyone from GnR and brought it up, and then went on to say you preferred Ain't Life Grand over Contraband.   So to take what you said one step further, Contraband is the next step in Slash's career, so he's again doing his best on a totally different thing and you're saying you prefer his work in his "old company".     

Maybe things have been said under other topics, but nothing close to any bashing was stated here, except by yourself.     
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 12:48:59 PM »

GNR - Croatia, Just fucking chill dude, you are making no sense at all!
You're the only one doing all the bashing in this thread, you are totally obsessed with matt aren't you?, you bring his name up in almost every single post you make why Huh....

Back on topic..

I have to agree with GNR - Croatia that the second snakepit album sounds maturer then the first one, altough I like the first one better....I'll take the snakepit albums over contraband anyday  beer
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 01:30:15 PM by Grouse » Logged
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 05:57:36 PM »

Lynn and Grouse - you have obviously,  FAR misunderstood the thread.
As you could read in the first sentence,  I welcomed this thread.
In fact,  as you read the whole thing I posted,   you could notice that I wasn't refering to this topic but this forum in general.
I welcomed that people said ALG was an great album cause for years now,  I 'fought' on this board like a lone rider that both Snakepit albums (but especially ALG) are excellent pieces of work and people on different threads kept on bashing without even knowing the names of the songs and it was therefore,  very questionable was it because of their taste/oppinions or because of Axl vs the rest of the world animosity.

The same goes for 'my' Matt Sorum (like one of you mentioned foolishly ironiacally).
The guy keeps on gettng bashed on most topics compared to Adler or Brain but people seem to forget that
a)  Brain is nbot an official drummer yet as no GNR record has been made after TSI yet.
b)  Everyone has different taste
Though,   ppl mostly bash Matt as if he took Adlers position an no other argument is being issued most of the time...
Well,  he was the ONE who made the most successive GNR tour EVER happen.

Finally,   as you obviously haven't read most of the topics I reffered too,  I am not bashing others.
I am ALWAYS taking sides of Slash,  Duff,  Matt,  Gilby,  Izzy  not only cause they were the band I got into 15 years ago,  but because as of 94 I consider GNR as RIP.
Axl'  band is not GNR in any way what so ever IMO.
Not only is it missing the people who made GNR what it stood for,  but he even changed from Blues rock they stood for (kinda Led Zeppelin style) to Nu metal (kinda Limp Biskit style).
Many here call former band members names (some call Slash a liar as someone opened up an topic somewhere...),  well,   without having any right to do so,  I can't listen to that crap.

Yes,  Contrabend is an steep foreward in Slash' life,  but as everyone who has ears and no shoes on top of them can hear,  it just isn't Slash - to quote Gilby Clarke.
I am fine with it,  though,  IMO,  it is just mediocre  / average piece of work comapred to his Snakepit days. 
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 07:08:30 PM »

i love it's 5 o'clock somewhere great tunes, the solo on back and fourth is amazing. i love the vocals. awsome cd. the 2nd  is great 2. i just like i5ocs better ok

Chinese Democracy!
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 07:11:48 PM »

dude I wasn't trying to insult you in anyway, I was merely saying that no one had bashed snakepit in this thread so I really don't understand why you we're getting all defensive like that:

OK,? this is the 50th or so time I am anwering Snakepit bashers or some other fans who may be interested in Snakepit albums
see what I mean by defensive

The same goes for 'my' Matt Sorum (like one of you mentioned foolishly ironiacally).

I only asked you why you always feel the need to bring his name up in your posts, Ok you like the guy that's clear however it's pointless to talk about matt in your post while he's got nothing to do with this topic to begin with IMO

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 09:25:20 PM »

GNR-CROATIA, I didn't misunderstand this thread.  No one bashed anyone here, and was actually supporting Snakepit.  You welcomed this thread by stating, "OK, this is the 50th or so time I am answering Snakepit bashers or some other fans who may be interested in Snakepit albums."?  That's not welcoming, it's confrontational.

I do agree, however, that this forum in general (and many other forums) does bash a lot of different people one way or the other but, like you said, everyone has different tastes.  I don't like the bashing either, but that's what people are going to do.  I've been guilty of it, myself.  You have your diehards who only like the original version and others who can handle the breakup of the original Gunners and move on with them and others that stay with Axl no matter what he does. 

I agree with you about all your statements about Matt and about Axl's current version.  But, see?  We all have our opinions.  You don't like Contraband as much as Snakepit.  You called it average.  That is just your own opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own, and I still think you are comparing too much with his past work.  VR is a different band with a different vibe then either GnR or Snakepit, and he plays with that vibe. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: