Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 01:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Almost two years Later --- Has VR reached your expectations?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost two years Later --- Has VR reached your expectations?  (Read 8700 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« on: September 16, 2005, 08:18:04 AM »

It's been two years since the band got together. I can't remember whether the name had officialy been picked before the "El Rey" show or not, but in and out, I'd say it's been two years.

Time to look back now. This thread is about your input in whether the band has been successful and reached the expectations, or has not really leveled up with the hype it created.

We are not trying to review the album here - there's already a thread about that, not trying to review the shows here (another thread). Let's try to scracth the surface a bit.

Looking at facts, VR has achieved many things over the past 24 months.

- Debuted at number 1.
- Sold around 1,5 - 2 million copies
- Two number 1 singles all over the US (Modern Rock stations)
- One Grammy
- Featured in 3 different movie soundtracks
- Particpated in Live 8
- Toured the World in 15 months

Looking at those facts, we can say that VR has reached the most optimisitic expectations. The line up is solid despite a few arguments here and there, but looks like Scott has found the stability he needed and has become more reliable than I anticipated. The new album is due sometimes next year, so they have obviously shutted many people (myself included) who thought this band was not gonna last long.

Now let's try to point out other things that they were not so successful at:

Touring ---> Yes, the first tour was simply amazing. Sold out every venue in the US. However, the "Wonderland" tour has not sold out every venue. As a matter of fact, the venues were half empty (half full for the optimistic) in those smaller size markets.? Do you think it was a little too early to book an arena show? Also, VR has barely toured Europe. They did have a UK tour, but haven't really tour other places this year.

Promotion ---> VR public relations team has done a terrific job prior to the album release. VR was in every radio show all over the country. The hype created couldn't have been better. However, they could've done a bit more in Europe. Yes, the US market is their biggest priority, but Europe is still a strong market. Name recognition is important and VR is not well known here. The album did well in the UK, but I belive it hasn't even reached the top 20 in any other country. Maybe more touring or more TV appearances over here, could've push the album a bit more. What do you think?

Singles choices ---> The first two singles top the rock modern charts in America, but from that point onwards, the band hasn't really released a single. Apperantly DLT did get some radio play and so did suckert train blues, but label didn't really follow up on that. I still haven't seen the DLT video...I kinda believe VR faded away after the release of Falling To Pieces, they had a few more big guns (LTA, YGNR) but didn't really do anything with those.

Image ---> The image the band has tried to portrayed over the past few years doesn't reall match what the band is all about. Yes, this is a rock and roll band, a road band, but the element of "danger" they've self-proclaimed in many interviews, is no longer there. These guys are all married and well in their 40's...they could've just stick to their music instead of trying to fool people with their "dangerous" image.

Album re-re-re-releases ---> I'm not gonna review the album here.? How many times has the album been re-released? I don't know, but there album has been released many times with added new features (B-sides, dvds..) also, the three different covers (which i still think it ws a brilliant idea to get more sales of hard core fans) Do you guys think that was appropiate?

Fanbase ---> Does VR have a fanbase? let explain myself here. I don't know what VR will accomplish in the near future, but I have a feeling VR has accomplished as many things as they did because of the expectations they created. Everyone wanted to see what this band could do. But now that the album is been out for a while, touring is almost over..do you guys think VR has a strong fan base built from the scracth? (Former GNR and STP fans don't count)

So taking all this into consideration, do you think VR has succeeded? Do you disagree with any of their decissions (theirs or label)? Do you think next album is gonna sell well? Do we have VR for a while?

On a side note. I'm not trying to bash VR. The above simple represent some facts and some opinions about the band and its accomplishements. So please do not take this into another VR vs GNR. This is all just about VR, so stick to it please.
makane
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:00:43 AM »

I think theyve made a name for them, even here in Europe. What comes to single choices, well, they could've been much better. what's the deal with making a poll for next single, make a video for the choosed song, but then change it to another song Huh(STB -> DLT)
Also the radio play for DLT, YGNR & Come on, Come in(which was a mistake release for them, for a mistake movie)
in Europe has somewhat been 0secs.
Otherwise, great succes, fucking great live shows and great music. It's all about their next album now, succes or defeat.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:08:21 AM »

Yup, better than expected. Waiting for the new album, which by the way, I KNOW will come out.   Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:22:02 AM »

Looking at those facts, we can say that VR has reached the most optimisitic expectations.

Saleswise yes they have, musically maybe not.

Touring ---> Yes, the first tour was simply amazing. Sold out every venue in the US. However, the "Wonderland" tour has not sold out every venue. As a matter of fact, the venues were half empty (half full for the optimistic) in those smaller size markets.? Do you think it was a little too early to book an arena show? Also, VR has barely toured Europe. They did have a UK tour, but haven't really tour other places this year.

The first half of the tour was promising. They played shows in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. After that it seems like they've focused on North America with just a short European tour in June-July 2005.

Promotion ---> VR public relations team has done a terrific job prior to the album release. VR was in every radio show all over the country. The hype created couldn't have been better. However, they could've done a bit more in Europe. Yes, the US market is their biggest priority, but Europe is still a strong market. Name recognition is important and VR is not well known here. The album did well in the UK, but I belive it hasn't even reached the top 20 in any other country. Maybe more touring or more TV appearances over here, could've push the album a bit more. What do you think?

They've focused on the US. That's pretty clear.

I remember when the album was released and they were playing here in Sweden, there were some press. After that it's been very quiet.

Singles choices ---> The first two singles top the rock modern charts in America, but from that point onwards, the band hasn't really released a single. Apperantly DLT did get some radio play and so did suckert train blues, but label didn't really follow up on that. I still haven't seen the DLT video...I kinda believe VR faded away after the release of Falling To Pieces, they had a few more big guns (LTA, YGNR) but didn't really do anything with those.

If I wasn't following this band I wouldn't know there were singles after "Slither".

Nobody seems to know when the singles are even released. I tried checking when "Dirty Little Thing" was released here, I never found out.

Image ---> The image the band has tried to portrayed over the past few years doesn't reall match what the band is all about. Yes, this is a rock and roll band, a road band, but the element of "danger" they've self-proclaimed in many interviews, is no longer there. These guys are all married and well in their 40's...they could've just stick to their music instead of trying to fool people with their "dangerous" image.

I think this might have to do with the fact that you and me aren't the target audience.

We had GN'R, some are old enough to remember the Sex Pistols.

The teenagers today were too young when those bands were around. Instead they have Hoobastank etc. Now, compared to them, maybe VR really are dangerous and unpredictable?

It seems like they're targeting younger fans with their image.... And also trying to fill a void because apprently there's no dangerous rock bands around.

Album re-re-re-releases ---> I'm not gonna review the album here.? How many times has the album been re-released? I don't know, but there album has been released many times with added new features (B-sides, dvds..) also, the three different covers (which i still think it ws a brilliant idea to get more sales of hard core fans) Do you guys think that was appropiate?

I thought the three colors was a lame excuse to sell more albums. I still do. All the copies I've seen after that have been black. What happened? I'm not allowed to pick my favorite color anymore?

I also think the re-re-releasing is lame. But that's how the record companies make money these days I guess.

The ideal release is a double album for the hardcore fans and one regular for the rest on the day of release.

Oh, and the VR DualDisc was the worst DualDisc I own. I don't mean musically, I mean in regards to using the possibilities of the format.

Fanbase ---> Does VR have a fanbase? let explain myself here. I don't know what VR will accomplish in the near future, but I have a feeling VR has accomplished as many things as they did because of the expectations they created. Everyone wanted to see what this band could do. But now that the album is been out for a while, touring is almost over..do you guys think VR has a strong fan base built from the scracth? (Former GNR and STP fans don't count)

Yes, as I pointed out earlier, they have a young fan base of fans who were too young when GN'R/STP were popular.

These fans don't have any other current bands who are "dangerous".

So taking all this into consideration, do you think VR has succeeded? Do you disagree with any of their decissions (theirs or label)? Do you think next album is gonna sell well? Do we have VR for a while?

They've succeeded saleswise and created their own image. It's still too early to say if they just did it on their own or how much their past helped.

I think they should've ended the touring with the Live 8 show in front of a global tv audience. Is there a need to promote the album more in the States?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »

not to start anything but to follow up on some stuff Jarmo mentioned...

I find it funny how some fans always blame some stuff Vr does on the record companies. FOr example re-releasing albums, different color albums. I would think part of being a "dangerous" rnr band is to put pressure on the label to do what you want and not what they want. They could have easily have said that kind of promotion is bullshit and been against it.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 11:18:21 AM »

The record sales & touring schedule have far exceeded any expectations I had for the band. Weiland, in particular, has been a nice surprise. I never knew he was such a capable & captivating frontman, as he's really given this band an interesting edge. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this band comes up with after being together for a couple years now.

What disappoints me is that the band, I feel, has dropped the ball in the marketing of themselves. A great product, but a poor choice of singles & videos. Maybe a poor choice of songs for Live8, considering all the millions watching? And all that re-releasing records crap rubs me the wrong way. It seems, IMO, that they're going the corporate route marketing wise & there's nothing lamer than that.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 11:45:01 AM »

They could have easily have said that kind of promotion is bullshit and been against it.

You never know, they might have. 

Unfortunately in todays record climate, for the most part the artists are at the labels mercy.  Though coming from successfuls band with rich histories, VR was a crap shoot.  The Weiland factor was a huge gamble for RCA, and still is to a degree.  They obvously felf that had to maximize their profits while they could, not knowing if/when the whole thing might go down in flames.  With VR now a proven product, I'd would think the band may have a bit more say on releases and whatnot in the future.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
makane
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 11:55:14 AM »

I really don't mind the color thing, since there was only one record on sale here in Finland Smiley atleast what i saw. The color thing was actually pretty cool, you could've choose the one you liked...(if available Grin ) and if it was so damn important for someone to have all colours, go ahead, no ones forced to buy them all. though the re-release thing sucked.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »

Unfortunately in todays record climate, for the most part the artists are at the labels mercy.  Though coming from successfuls band with rich histories, VR was a crap shoot.  The Weiland factor was a huge gamble for RCA, and still is to a degree.  They obvously felf that had to maximize their profits while they could, not knowing if/when the whole thing might go down in flames.  With VR now a proven product, I'd would think the band may have a bit more say on releases and whatnot in the future.
I think it would be the opposite. being that all parties came from a great and respected background they should have been able to have more say.
Plus VR were getting bids from a handful of labels. Im sure they could have been more vocal about the situation

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 02:03:19 PM »

I think it would be the opposite. being that all parties came from a great and respected background they should have been able to have more say.

Who knows, I would suspect Weilands situation at the time weighed heavily on the labels mind.  He was still a junkie for all intents an purposes and highly unreliable.

Plus VR were getting bids from a handful of labels. Im sure they could have been more vocal about the situation

Again, maybe they were, maybe they weren't. 

The final responsbility obviously is with the consumer, if they want it bad enough they'll buy it, if not they won't.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 07:21:41 PM »

I really think they exceded what expectations i had not musically but sales etc. I knew the record would do well but i honestly didn't think it would sell as many copies as it has. When a rock band goes gold nowadays that is pretty good but to go almost mulit-platinum , that doesnt happen that much these days, especially when you consider the fact that these guys are all in there 40's or damn close. I never thought that they would win a Grammy either. So all in all they have done a helluva alot better than i thought they would have. I am anxious to see how the new album will do, i think musically it will be even better than Contrband. I guess time will tell.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 07:10:58 AM »

not to start anything but to follow up on some stuff Jarmo mentioned...

I find it funny how some fans always blame some stuff Vr does on the record companies. FOr example re-releasing albums, different color albums. I would think part of being a "dangerous" rnr band is to put pressure on the label to do what you want and not what they want. They could have easily have said that kind of promotion is bullshit and been against it.

we all know they aren't dangerous, that was just the return to rock image they were selling.. The only danger is their former selves and the idea they could possibly fall apart from a reintroduction to their former addictions (esecially scott)..

As for the expectations.. I really enjoyed the album.. Done quickly and still managed a solid hard rocker,, I think they can improve but I have no idea where they want to go. They seem to write on the roade so I am not expecting ground breaking music, maybe just something better tyhen CB...

As for touring, they were amazing... Live to me they were great.. They really did live up to my expectations..

I think as far as being say mainstream that may be tough.. Not many people from former great bands are able to come back and take over the world again.. mainstream is radio friendly music kids like... I don't see guys in their 40's really getting that type of treatment (unless they were back in gnr or stp)

I think vr has developed a hard core fan base but will not have the same buzz they did being from such two big groups of their past..

They can be the type of band that has constant gold to one time platinum records but has great showings on tour.. Kind of like a mainden type band..

One thing I can say is a lot of people actually know who vr is, that was more then I expected
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 10:52:12 AM »

First of all I wanted to point out that the band HAS gone multi platinum in the U.S.  The album was certified at 2 million by the RIAA.  You can find that info at www.billboard.com under the "recent certifications" listing.

Secondly I think Contraband is a good album with some killer songs, but I also think they can make an album thats even better, with more evenly good songs.  I mean there are great songs on Contraband but they are balanced out by some of the more standard songs like "headspace" and "illegal I song".  I think they are capable of creating an album that is more consistently good.

but for now, theyve accomplished a lot.  A solid grammy winning song and double platinum #1 debut album, good touring, and I believe theyve created good buzz for themselves.  I do believe they have an audience outside GNR/STP fans because I belong to message boards of other bands, and the teenagers at those boards like VR.
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 06:24:33 PM »

Well, they exceeded my expectations, both musically and sales wise. I wasn't expecting much after a few sub par solo efforts by band members - so, Contraband was a nice surprise, a solid rock & roll album. Of course had a few too many songs on it (but hey, don't most albums these days?). Cut it down to 8-9 songs and that album would've been great.
And the success of Contraband was truly icing on the cake. It is nice to see your childhood heroes make such a strong comeback. Obviously bad single selections after Slither hurt its legs, but double platinum ain't too shabby.
And now for the difficult second album, hopefully they will evolve musically - one Contraband is quite enough for me.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 03:31:56 AM »

As a live act that damn sure fulfilled my expectations.  They're one of the best live acts going right now.  The album, however, most certainly did not.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 03:52:37 AM »

Yes they have.

I'm looking forward to the second album.

VR =  Cool
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 09:45:27 AM »

I was watching some rock vidoes on the mtv 2 countdown last night (might had been another rock show) and they had a seether video... They praise bands that go gold like their album, so to go double platinum to me is a damn good job...
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 07:25:06 PM »

I would have to say that they reached my expectations... I still listen to VR and the band has been working hard.. I don't think Contraband is a perfect album but it is a damn good one and I truly love some of the tunes... I was expecting it to sound different than it does but I am happy with the bands sound and am looking forward to the next album especially after hearing Come On Come In.. Also, they sold 2 million albums without the help of MTV and all that shit...? Plus they toured their ass off and I got to see them 4 times without getting bored.? Each show actually got better as they went and they evolved the setlists nicely for only having one album.? They aren't my favorite band but they definately kick ass and I think their music holds up to or is better than anything else being released these days..

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 11:51:35 PM »

to be completely honest, I was not expecting much either.  When the album came out I was very pleased with it.  But I always set  my standards pretty low so that I am not dissapointed.  So as far as the music goes, I thought it was pretty solid. 

The tour was a lot of fun.  I saw them twice on the Wonderland tour and both times were a lot of fun, especially the NJ show.  Just being able to see 2 of the AFD players onstage together was good enough for me, but Scott actually really got the crowd into it.  I had a great time.

As far as marketing, look we all know this is not a 'dangerous' band.  I will give Axl credit for that one.  As far as inflicting bodily harm and jumping into the crowd to fight some one or incite riots, Axl takes the cake on that.  The rest of the guys were just junkies who could OD at any point.  So I never pictured them as dangerous.  If you want dangerous then go see the Bad Luck 13 Riot Extravaganaza.  Or go see Irate and Sworn Enemy in NYC.  That is dangerous. 

Promotion was great for the album, and if Axl decides to release Chinese Democracy I hope he uses the same plan.  It worked better than I expected obviously due to album sales. 

As far as re-releasing albums, all I got is the white album and nothing more.  I will wait to see what happens with all of that.  I always feel that the different album covers thing is tacky, but hey if it helped them with album sales then more power to them.  I know the Deftones did it successfully as well. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Velvet Revolver is a cash cow.  The label knows it and the band definitely knows it.  But think about it, you are back in the spotlight after being gone for so long.  One way to continue being relevant is by pumping out merch, playing your songs to death, and playing shows everywhere.  It is obviously working for them and I will never put down a band for trying to overexpose themselves IF IT WORKS. 
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 01:25:23 AM »

With Contraband, I was expecting more along the lines of amazing guitar work that Slash played in GN'R, so I was a little disappointed and I found it quite bland, but then Contraband grew into one of my favourite rock albums of the last few years, one which I still listen to quite regularly.

Their live show was amazing, this was my chance to see Slash, Duff and Matt rip it up after missing seeing them in GN'R and they didn't fail to deliver. I became a big fan of Scott Weiland as a frontman too after seeing him comand a crowd!

As for the new album, I feel that they've only just tapped into their abilities from what is shown on Contraband, so I'm very excited about what they might produce next now that they've had time to gel as a band on the road.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: