Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Use Your Illusion I & II released 14 years ago
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Use Your Illusion I & II released 14 years ago  (Read 5381 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: September 15, 2005, 06:11:32 PM »

How many of you realize that it's been 14 years since the USe Your Illusion albums were released?

Maybe you'd like to share the story of how you got the album(s)?

Personally I went and bought the LPs right after school. Then back home and listened to them from Right Next Door To Hell all the way to My World.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 06:24:43 PM »

Holy crap it is isn't it! confused  My Father who raised me and never really gave me anything (besides a belt to the ass), bought me both the albums on tape the day it was released.  I was 12 and kept replaying "Get in the Ring" trying to remember the shit-talking part and laughing my ass off.  Good Times.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 07:06:58 PM »

I got them after my driving lession after school. I put in the first tape ( i got the tape back in 91) and was like damn. My fave song after hearing all the songs on both albums was estranged. I listened to that song like 4 times in a row. It was amazing.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 07:25:13 PM »

I bought the CD June of 2002 and played it for hours. Yeah, I'm both young and boring.

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 07:26:19 PM »

my friends brother played the don't cry picture disc single for me a couple times and not soon after i knew i had to have that song, i didn't know jack shit about gn'r but after also hearing you could be mine i knew i was sold. Just looking at the pic of the band and hearing a voice that's not comparable to any other just blew me away.. "i want to be like that." A few days later my dad took me to the record store and he would only buy me one of the two illusions so i stood there for like a fucking hour looking back and forth at the two beautiful big vinyl covers, hoping he would cave in and let me have both he he, but he didn't tho so i chose the blue one because it had both don't cry and you could be mine on it.

out of the prox thousand records i have bought, that has been my best record buying experience ever.

what a beautiful memory... can't believe it's been 14 years... i was only 10 years old, but i remember it as if it was yesterday. beer

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:48:30 PM »

I went to Spec's records in Pembroke Pines, FL. and was 2nd or 3rd in line at 9:30 PM (they were going on sale at Midnight)

A few nights before, one of the local radio stations (Zeta, I believe) had actually played both albums in their entirety.. with nothing censored.  I taped those off the air, as well.

I had just gotten a Blaupunkt 'pull-out' CD player installed in my truck.  So, of course, I popped em in there as soon as I got in the car, and basically blew the speakers out during the short drive home.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 07:54:52 PM »

mmm, well a friend o mine lent me the Illusion I, and that was in 1998,   

ps, I think Chinese Democracy might be released in 2007 just like Meat loaf's 20 years later of his first album....
Chief
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:02:37 PM »

i bought them after borrowing them in about 95.. i wish i got them earlier but i just got into the band then.

"Its been 14 years of silence.. its been 14 years of pain..........

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 09:06:46 PM »

I had gone to this store call the Record Stop, on LI,(down the street from The HS I went to) who had the albums a week before they were released. so by the time it was released I had already had the illusions for a full week, I drove from nassua Lake Ronkonkoma, the day they said they would have it, I had to pay in advance the week before that, I had gotten two coppies of each, one set in cassettes, and one set in cds, .As soon as I got them  I got back in my care and drove all over LI, along the beaches, and listened to the cassettes, cause thats all I had in my car then, I think I listened to both front to back about 3 times, before I got back to Elmont where I was ,living at the time. Imdediate stand outs were , def Estranged, NR, Dont damn me, Coma, Dont Cry,, ....I had seen them the june before at nassau collisium.. and I was so pumped for these albums.Like AFD I listened every day, for yrs,after. I could go no where in my car without those 3 albums. peace

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Vaclave
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 09:54:42 PM »

It's been 14 years so I maybe a little off here.

Before the release date the band one of those radio rock shows (interviews/ premier of some songs).  The show was before the release date so this was big, to have the songs before they were out.  I had my cassette tape ready to go and recorded what they played. 
     I was working in a warehouse at the time When they finally realsed the album.  I skipped lunch and bought the cd's and on cassette as well, just so I could listen that afternoon as I worked.  I had my portable cassette player and headphones blasting as I worked.  My co-workers gave me weird looks and awkward smiles.  I could not give a rat?s ass what they thought.  I had been waiting a whole year or so for this day. 
     Ah, when the anticipation finally gives way to a release date.....Those were the days..... 
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 10:10:16 PM »

I was at work the day they were released.  I couldn't wait until lunch so I could run out and buy them.  I did just that and listened to them as much as I could in that hour blasting the speakers in my little MR2.   I was sooo happy!  beer

Why don't you just....
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 10:11:44 PM »

Me and a buddy skipped a half a day of school and went to the record store as it opened in the morning and bought about 10 copies for our friends. ?Then there was a triumphet return to our awaiting friends!

The best record store in Lafayette, JL Records, sold about 1000 copies at a midnight sale!
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 10:14:22 PM »

Bought both cds right after school.... all I remember was that it was a mad house in the record store, but I was lucky enough to get a copy of UYI II and one of like four remaining copies of UYI I, which was flying off the shelves more so than UYI II at that particular store for some reason. I too listened to them straight through at home like 3 times in a row. I was blown away by the "trilogy" songs (even though I didn't know they were a trilogy at the time)... and I distinctly remember wanting to hear Live and Let Die because it had been so awesome when they played it live at the show I saw that summer. It did not disappoint. I also remember it was all that anybody talked about in school for weeks. People even thought My World was cool... Axl could literally do no wrong back then...

My only other memories were that the cds came in those really long cardboard boxes... anybody else remember those? I carefully opened the boxes... and I still have 'em in great condition... I cannot freakin' believe that was 14 years ago... ?AXL!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU ALIVE!!?!?! crying crying

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 10:50:44 PM »

I ditched school and went to the Wherehouse and bought both albums. Went to a friend's house, bought some weed and meth, and listened to the albums continuously for about 2 days straight. I remember that feeling the night before the release. Like how you feel as a young child on christmas eve waiting for santa claus. Truly an incredible experience. I also remember how on the way home I couldn't believe that I actually had Use Your Illusion in my hands. By the way, alot of great stories, guys. Its great that we all have fond memories of the day of its release. I kinda feel sorry for the newer fans, because they didn't get to experience that. The UYI release was a big part of the GNR experience.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 01:28:24 AM »

hopefully we will have a crazy experience with Chinese Democracy.  i'd go to the midnight release!!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 01:30:17 AM »

Im there! Grin or I will call the record stop and see if they will have it early..like the illusions! yes

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 06:03:39 AM »

I queued outside a record store in London. I live in Oxford, England but my family live in London so I went up there for the midnight opening! It was fucking amazing! I was only about 50 metres back in the queue but I thought for a horrible moment that I would not get both cd's. Boy was I wrong! When I got in I have never seen so many copies of UYI's! It was a massive experience one I wont forget and whilst I will be suprised if the release of Chinese Democracy will be as huge I am still hoping it will be a wicked feeling again!! The return of GnR!! Come on!!?

anythinggoes
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 07:15:48 AM »

jeez i was 12 going on 13 i went down town in my lunch hour to a tiny HMV and they had plenty for some reason GNR does not sell well in my town
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 07:49:34 AM »

I went after school to the local record store and bought both albums on cassette. and my brother's and i listened to them when I got home. we started with UYI2 cuz it had Civil War and Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

Civil war was great to finally get on Tape, I was kinda let down cuz KOHD didn't have the Days of Thunder interlude. Get in the ring was hilarious... YCBM & DC, were fantastic My World was a disappointment, I rembeber being like "what the fuck is this shit?" rant i was a little bit til' I atarted to appreciate other songs like 14 years, yesterdays, Estranged. I thought Locomotive was pretty bad ass. and HAted Pretty tied up for the longest time.

At first I thought UYI1 was the weaker album, I thought Backoff bitch and You ain't the first were funny, never been a big fan of LaLD, don't cry (original) is better IMO. NR, don't damn me and Dead Horse have always been great IMO. i took me a while to fully appreciate other songs like dust'n'bones, perfect crime, the garden and Coma.

regardless we listened to UYI1 twice and UYI2 three times before we moved from that stereo  Grin drool Shocked

St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 08:40:43 AM »

I remember how huge a deal it was at the time.? But i didn't like them at that point. It wasn't until the Freddie Tribute and Paris '92 that they took over me lol.? My Dad actually bought Illusions 1 when it came out. In all honesty probably for 'Live and Let die' and the hugeness of the record rather than him being a fan as such.. So It was in HIS collection until I got into them. I remember thinking how huge the record sounded, it was just off the scale.?

Who'd have thought that 14 years would end up being the most poignant song of themall though eh?? It's scary to think it's been that long man.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: