Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 02:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228114 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Dave Chappelle
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dave Chappelle  (Read 6122 times)
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« on: September 13, 2005, 01:51:46 AM »

Dave Chappelle Happy to Be Working Clubs Mon Sep 12, 9:56 PM ET

CINCINNATI - Comedian Dave Chappelle, who walked away from his hit TV series earlier this year, said working in front of smaller audiences is more his speed.

Chappelle sold out 10 shows at a northern Kentucky club and said doing standup is "like I'm hanging out with a bunch of people."

Chappelle stunned fans and the entertainment industry when he abruptly left during production of the third season of his Comedy Central series, "Chappelle's Show." He spent two weeks in South Africa before returning home to his 65-acre farm near Yellow Springs, Ohio, about 75 miles northeast of Cincinnati, and then returned to standup comedy.

He played the Funny Bone Comedy Club at Newport on the Levee last week, a 325-seat club.

"I like that particular kind of attention. People don't know what it's like standing up there on stage, when you have a wall of people smiling at you," Chappelle told The Cincinnati Enquirer for a story published Monday.

"Most people don't know what it's like to stand up there and speak their mind. I have a venue to do that. I get paid to do that. It's not like I'm doing heavy lifting up there. It's not like I'm solving the world's problems. It's like I'm hanging out with a bunch of people and it's cool," he said.

Chappelle has said he was unhappy with the direction of his show. His decision triggered reports that he had mental or drug problems, which he denied.

"It was a little weird," he told the newspaper. "It felt like some of the stuff was real tabloid, like raw speculation.

"It was like stuff I would normally buy and believe," he added, laughing. "I just took it as a learning experience. It was like becoming a public person and learning all the responsibility that comes with that."

Chappelle said he wasn't sure what's ahead for him: "Wow. Damn, that's a good question. ... Is 'I don't know' an acceptable answer?"

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 02:01:36 AM »

i like dave chapelle Smiley

ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 03:40:55 AM »

Its a celabration , enjoy yourself,  'cause im Rick James bitch rofl

why would he leave like that, i heard he went off to rehab Huh

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 02:29:54 PM »

He couldn't handle the large crowds. And I guess the whole situation was overwhelming to him, like the pressure of having to keep up ratings for Comedy Central. Maybe he never thought his show would get as big as that, and it freaked him out.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 02:37:51 PM »

He commented in one interview that most of the people that he normally hung out with started changing how they acted around him, and he didnt like it.

Without starting another thread, for those of you that miss Chapelles' show on Comedy Central, check out "Mind of Mencia". Carlos Mencia is pretty damn funny even though he has to tone down his normal routine for television.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Megaguns
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:38:03 AM »

anyone seen halfbaked?Huh funny shit.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 04:01:00 AM »

I think he's not too good of an actor. I'm not gonna go as far as to say that he sucks, but he's really not too good.

His standup material on the other hand is good. I haven't seen all that many of his performances, but they've all been good. Though what I don't like is that over half of his routines has something to do with him being black. I think it's just way too easy to do that. (almost the same thing with Chris Rock)

The problem with shows like the chapelle show, or movies, is that the script is too dominant and doesn't give the comedian himself the liberties he would have as a  stand up comedian.

Oh, and Halfbaked isn't good.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Megaguns
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 04:11:10 AM »

Thanks, you are entitled to your opinion. Half baked is funny
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 07:31:45 AM »

Half Baked is fucken funny as hell!!

thats my opinion.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 02:23:28 PM »

I LOVED Chappelle's Show.
While I'm sad that it's over,
I respect Dave TONS.

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 04:02:29 PM »

He couldn't handle the large crowds. And I guess the whole situation was overwhelming to him, like the pressure of having to keep up ratings for Comedy Central. Maybe he never thought his show would get as big as that, and it freaked him out.

I agree with you, but just curious, what large crowds did he have to perform in front of?? All the filming of the episodes had smaller crowds than his standup routines.

Also, does anyone know if he's still with his co-writer Neil?? How far were they into the 3rd season and if possible would any of them air?

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Evolution
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 05:23:42 PM »

That man is fucking hilarious  hihi
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 05:26:54 PM »

"Mmm, I wish I had more hands so I could give those titties, four thumbs DOWN!"

Has anyone seen his latest stand-up DVD?  My friend bought it not too long ago, I think it was called "Live at Filmore's"... I heard it wasn't as good as Killing Them Softly.
im rickjames bitch
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 05:27:11 PM »

hes cool. thats interesting i didnt know he was a farmer. i say do what ever makes u happy dave  ok
Evolution
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 12:53:33 PM »

i say do what ever makes u happy dave  ok

YYYEAAAHH!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 02:46:39 PM »

"Mmm, I wish I had more hands so I could give those titties, four thumbs DOWN!"

Has anyone seen his latest stand-up DVD?? My friend bought it not too long ago, I think it was called "Live at Filmore's"... I heard it wasn't as good as Killing Them Softly.

I have both DVDs and I have to say Killing Them Softly is bay far the better purchase ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 01:09:00 AM »

Chappelle Opens Up on "Oprah"
Friday February 3 7:03 PM ET

By Sarah Hall

He wasn't crazy. He wasn't on drugs. He presented no threat to Oprah Winfrey's onset furniture.

In his first televised interview since fleeing the set of his hit Comedy Central show last spring, Dave Chappelle sat down with the Queen of Daytime Friday in an attempt to explain the reasons behind his abrupt departure.

With the premiere of the third season of Chappelle's Show only weeks away, the comedian suddenly vanished without explanation, forcing Comedy Central to shut down production on the series and igniting speculations that his hard-partying lifestyle had resulted in a total meltdown.

Chappelle eventually surfaced in South Africa, where he was rumored to have checked himself into a psychiatric hospital for treatment, a report he has denied.

According to the comedian, neither drugs nor insanity were behind his decision to cut and run from Chappelle's Show. Stress, on the other hand, was a major factor.

"I wasn't crazy but it is incredibly stressful," Chappelle said.

After Chappelle signed an unprecedented $50 million contract in August 2004, carrying him through the third and fourth seasons of Chappelle's Show, he said he began to feel like too many people were trying to control him and the direction of his show.

"I felt in a lot of instances I was deliberately being put through stress because when you're a guy who generates money, people have a vested interested in controlling you," Chappelle said.

The comedian said he finally decided a spiritual retreat was in order, though he neglected to tell anyone but his brother of his plans.

"I would go to work on the show and I felt awful every day, that?s not the way it was," he said. "I felt like some kind of prostitute or something. If I feel so bad, why keep on showing up to this place? I'm going to Africa. The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching."

After he returned from Africa, Chappelle continued to avoid the spotlight, retreating to his farm in Yellow Springs, Ohio. In June, he resumed making sporadic standup appearances around Los Angeles.

The comedian told Winfrey that he had not ruled out returning to Comedy Central to complete the third and fourth seasons of Chappelle's Show--provided that some changes were made.

"I do want to do my show again provided, one, I can make the proper work environment," Chappelle said.

In the interest of being "socially responsible," he said he wanted to begin donating a portion of the proceeds from his DVD sales to charity.

"I want to give," Chappelle said. "I don't want the money. I don't want the drama. I just want to do my show. I want to have fun again."

Comedy Central made it clear Friday that the network will welcome the return of its wayward star. "Dave is a comedic genius whose work we truly value, and the door is always open to him," the network said in a statement.

In December, the network said the four episodes of Chappelle's Show completed by the comedian before his departure would hit the air this spring.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 06:41:07 AM »

dave rocks !

i like how he " went to africa .... "  and arrived in South Africa .... why ? rwanda or liberia wasnt safe enough ? needed the 5 stars hotel of cape town ?  Grin

Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 07:37:09 PM »

That situation at Comedy Central wasn't really his fault entirely. I saw him on Oprah (only episode of Oprah I've ever sat through) and what he said made a lot of sense. Looked like he needed a break and everyone turned his back on him when he needed help.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 07:48:10 PM »

That situation at Comedy Central wasn't really his fault entirely. I saw him on Oprah (only episode of Oprah I've ever sat through) and what he said made a lot of sense. Looked like he needed a break and everyone turned his back on him when he needed help.

Yeah, I watched this video on youtube.com... He just had a lot of pressure and needed to get away from the situation.  A lot of people that saw him on Oprah seemed to think he was still mentally unstable, but I understood what he was trying to say.

BTW, Communist, nice Hedberg signature... "I wanted to buy candle holders but the store didn't have any... so I got a cake".
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: