Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 10:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228111 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Embattled FEMA Director Mike Brown Resigns
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Embattled FEMA Director Mike Brown Resigns  (Read 5901 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:05:31 PM »

By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer 5 minutes ago

WASHINGTON -
Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown said Monday he has resigned "in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president," three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

"The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there," Brown told The Associated Press.

His decision was not a surprise. Brown was abruptly recalled to Washington on Friday, a clear vote of no confidence from his superiors at the White House and the Department of
Homeland Security. Brown had been roundly criticized for FEMA's bearish response to the hurricane, which has caused political problem for Bush and fellow Republicans.

"I'm turning in my resignation today," Brown said. "I think it's in the best interest of the agency and the best interest of the president to do that and get the media focused on the good things that are going on, instead of me."
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »

He doesn't deserve to be allowed to resign.  He should have been fired.  If I messed up on my job that bad I would expect to be fired.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 05:30:50 PM »

If heads don`t roll, the same mistakes will be made.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Sterlingdog
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 07:02:13 PM »

Here's a longer article, talks about the person taking over temporarily.

Firefighter to Replace Brown As FEMA Chief
By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer
2 hours ago

WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown resigned Monday, three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience as his replacement.

R. David Paulison, head of FEMA's emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to three administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Paulison is a career firefighter from Miami who was among emergency workers responding to Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592 in the Florida Everglades in 1996, according to a biography posted on FEMA's Web site. He also has led the U.S. Fire Administration since December 2001, according to the site.

As chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department, Paulison led 1,900 personnel under a $200 million operating budget. He was also in charge of Dade County's emergency management office, according to his biography.

Paulison will lead an agency that has been under fire for its response to the Katrina disaster. Local officials and members of Congress have cited confusion and a lagging response to the Gulf Coast devastation.

Brown had taken much of the heat and was relieved of his onsite command on Friday. In an interview Monday with The Associated Press, Brown said he resigned "in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president." He said he feared he had become a distraction.

"The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there," Brown said.

His decision was not a surprise. Brown was abruptly recalled to Washington on Friday, a clear vote of no confidence from his superiors at the White House and the Homeland Security Department. He also was accused of padding his resume, which Brown has denied.

The president ducked questions about Brown's resignation. "Maybe you know something I don't know. I've been working," the president said to reporters on an inspection tour of damage in Gulfport, Miss. Bush said he planned to talk with Brown's boss, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, from Air Force One on the flight back to Washington.

"There will be plenty of time to figure out what went right and what went wrong," Bush said.

Polls show most Americans believe Bush could have done more to help Katrina's victims, though they also blame leaders of Louisiana and New Orleans. Bush's overall job approval rating is at the lowest point of his presidency.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi called Brown's departure long overdue.

"His resignation is the right thing for the country and for the people of the Gulf Coast states," Pelosi said in a statement.

Brown, who said he last talked to Bush five or six days ago, said the resignation was his idea. He spoke Saturday to White House chief of staff Andrew Card, who did not request his departure, according to Brown.

"I'm turning in my resignation today," Brown said. "I think it's in the best interest of the agency and the best interest of the president to do that and get the media focused on the good things that are going on, instead of me."

Shortly after Brown was recalled to Washington last week, officials close to the FEMA director said he would probably resign. They said that even before Katrina, Brown had been planning on leaving the administration late this fall to go into the private sector.

MCT
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 10:10:24 AM »

FEMA...isn't that a bone?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 10:37:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure Brown was ASKED to resign...

As is: Resign or we fire you.

It's a pretty standard corporate tactic, and usually the person doesn't say "Well, I'm not resigning, so you'll have to fire me".  Getting fired, especially from a high profile job like he has, would ultimately end his career.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure Brown was ASKED to resign...

As is: Resign or we fire you.

It's a pretty standard corporate tactic, and usually the person doesn't say "Well, I'm not resigning, so you'll have to fire me".  Getting fired, especially from a high profile job like he has, would ultimately end his career.

I assumed as much.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »

So if he would have gotten fired would that mean that the Arabian Horse Assc. would not have re-hired him?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 01:49:19 PM »

So if he would have gotten fired would that mean that the Arabian Horse Assc. would not have re-hired him?

lol, This guys best bet may be heading up his kids local boy scout troop. That's about it.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 02:01:36 PM »

Would you trust your kids with this jackass?  "We were not aware of the scouts lost in the woods until we arrived back in the city."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 03:57:54 PM »

I'd let him head up a cookie bake sale...sure.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 03:58:52 PM »

On a side note, he's got one helluva resume going, not to mention all the national exposure he's gotten. He might as well retire now!
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 04:06:55 PM »

If by retire you mean make big bucks consulting for government agencies...then you are probably right.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 04:14:06 PM »

Screwups get medals in this administration no doubt about it.......

Let the backslapping begin.....
Sterlingdog
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 05:14:01 PM »

He'll probably get hired as an exec at Halliburton.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 06:11:31 PM »

He'll probably get hired as an exec at Halliburton.

hahahahaha!

No shit! He probably would, and get assigned to the cleanup of Katrina!  hihi
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 07:44:45 PM »

It's not just this administration fool...it's the way of the world.   People leave politics or politically appointed positions to make a fortune in the private sector all the time.  There is just not a lot of money in politics unless you're a senator on the tit of some special interest group.  Only a fool would tie this to one administration.

Your continued bashing of Bush in every thread reduces whatever credibility you might have.  And when you put more blame on Bush than on the local and state politicians for the katrina fiasco (funny how the local and state polticians in charge are liberals), its reeks of partisan bullshit.     

SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 08:00:49 PM »

It's not just this administration fool...it's the way of the world.   People leave politics or politically appointed positions to make a fortune in the private sector all the time.  There is just not a lot of money in politics unless you're a senator on the tit of some special interest group.  Only a fool would tie this to one administration.

Your continued bashing of Bush in every thread reduces whatever credibility you might have.  And when you put more blame on Bush than on the local and state politicians for the katrina fiasco (funny how the local and state polticians in charge are liberals), its reeks of partisan bullshit.     

SLCPUNK
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 08:09:01 PM »

This administration had low poll numbers going into Katrina. Bush is simply trying to save face by apologizing. It is a good first step, but quite over do.

While you are willing to ignore the slashing of funds prior to this event by W, the fact that our national guard was in Iraq nation building instead of being here (Homeland security = joke), and that the general reaction time by Bush was lousy in general, I am not. Neither are most of the country ( including Republicans) who are calling Chimpy on his sub par lack luster performance, hence his taking the fall today.

You also ignore the fact that the person appointed to FEMA when Clinton was in office, had experience that fit the job. While Brownie most certainly did not. Pointing the finger out and saying "look everybody does it" is not owning up to your Presidents failure of the American people, which cost US lives.

How much is enough for a blind apologist such as yourself? Bush can eat a baby on live TV and you would claim the kid had it coming, right? But then again, it could all change tomorrow, since you are the guy who changes his mind, and then calls others flip floppers after all..... Roll Eyes

If you don't like me ripping on Bush and his crappy administration full of liars, cheats, looters, and war profiteers....I got two words for you: Tough shit.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 08:39:48 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 08:31:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: