Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Kalondner speaks about Axl/GNR
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kalondner speaks about Axl/GNR  (Read 9189 times)
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« on: September 03, 2005, 04:45:23 PM »

From Sp1at news / Classic Rock:

John Kalodner, a former A&R man for Geffen, has spoken about Axl Rose and Guns N'Roses in the this month's edition of Classic Rock.
The excerpt from Classic Rock reads;

Kalodner was also at Geffen during the astonoshing rises of both Guns n'Roses and Nirvana. Of GN'R he says: "When I saw them at Santa Monica Civic for the first time I knew they'd be huge. Nobody could quantify exactly how big, but you know when your singer comes out in a kilt, they know you have balls. Axl could sing and wasn't afraid of anything."

Kalodner is one of only a few people who have met Axl recently: "I saw him in the Sanctuary office a month ago. This guy walked by and says: 'Hello, John'. It was Axl. And he looked great - like Axl The Rock Star again'. He did those last shows and he just wasn't himself any more."

Unfortunately the meeting didn't throw any light on the long running saga of GNR's Chinese Democracy album, and Kalodner remains as uncertain as everyone else over whether it will be released - or even finished. He mentions that the New York Times did a whole article on the making of that album, and says "All of it was true. They did spend all that money, and they've been working on it since I left Geffen - 11 years ago!"

If Kalodner was still at Geffen, does he think money would continue to be shovelled into Chinese Democracy?

"Well, I wasn't their A&R man," he says. "But if we were talking about a Journey or an Aerosmith record, then definitely not. But with someone as unpredictable as Axl, anything's possible. I honestly couldn't speculate."

Here today...ready to rock
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 05:07:44 PM »

"I saw him in the Sanctuary office a month ago. This guy walked by and says: 'Hello, John'. It was Axl. And he looked great - like Axl The Rock Star again'.
That's really cool. Cool Axl is a Rockstar and this is a quality. It's good to know he came back to us. peace

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
makane
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »

Ye, good thing if hes got rid of hes ridiculouse rapper outfit.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
DemocracyRose
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 05:19:29 PM »

Well, i think its great, that he was in a Sanctuary office.... peace
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 05:31:22 PM by DemocracyRose » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 05:22:24 PM »

Do you think it means the braids are gone? peace
Axl the Rockstar again...that's a great news! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 06:01:42 PM by nesquick » Logged

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 06:28:36 PM »

Kalodner remains as uncertain as everyone else over whether it will be released - or even finished.

These days it's not even a question of "when" it'll be coming out, but whether it ever will be or EVER completed.

not good.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 06:30:49 PM by the dirt » Logged

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 06:44:42 PM »

I'm surprised no one has tried bringing Kalodner in to work with Axl. He is one hell of an A&R guy, and has worked with some big names. He seems to know how to get a band to get its shit together.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 06:52:44 PM »

Am I the only soul on this lonely planet who thought the braids were cool?   nervous

Its just the botax that made em look bad... his face was... so.. shiney... and.. s-ss-so.. buldgy...  crying *remembering the vma's*

But still it sounds promising. What did he mean when he said "the last shows changed axl"? I dont get that at all... like... his personality...? his mindset...? his looks? O well... another horrible tease of what we want so bad.

-jack

gnrevolution.com
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 06:53:36 PM »

what's an A&R? is it a manager or something like that?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 07:10:52 PM »

I believe A&R stands for Aquisition & Retention, they are more or less responsible for signing bands and acting as a liason between the talent and the label thereafter.

EDIT: See Jarmo's post below.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 07:17:45 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 07:11:22 PM »

Artist and repertoire (A&R for short) is a music industry term that refers to the division of a record label that is responsible for scouting and developing talent. The A&R department is the link between the recording artist/act and the record label, and is often required to handle contractural negotiations, find songwriters and record producers for the act, and schedule recording sessions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%2526R

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 07:11:30 PM »

Nevermind, jarmo beat me to it!  Grin
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 07:12:35 PM »

People wondering if this album will ever come out? ?If not, why would Axl be hangin out at the sancutary office? ?Think about it. Hes there for a reason.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 07:33:15 PM »

Am I the only soul on this lonely planet who thought the braids were cool?? ?nervous

No, you're not alone.? I think the braids are cool too.  yes?
But most people would agree that you should still be? nervous? about it since I'm that one agreeing with you.? Tongue

AXL THE ROCKSTAR!!!? headbanger

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 07:47:49 PM »

People wondering if this album will ever come out? ?If not, why would Axl be hangin out at the sancutary office? ?Think about it. Hes there for a reason.

Well, Sanctuary did buy the rights to the back catalog as well so there quite possibly may be a multitude of reasons for Axl to be there.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 08:08:42 PM »

Well, Sanctuary did buy the rights to the back catalog as well so there quite possibly may be a multitude of reasons for Axl to be there.

Maybe just to say hello

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 08:08:50 PM »

Its just the botax that made em look bad... his face was... so.. shiney... and.. s-ss-so.. buldgy...? crying *remembering the vma's

I don't think he received Botox injections.

You have to understand when we saw him in 2000-2002 he wasn't at his 130 pound coke/heroin weight from the early 1990's. But he weighed less than he did in 1998-ish when he got arrested.

When you lose weight, your face is one of the last parts the fat comes off of.

So assuming Axl doesn't resort to drugs to lose weight, you're never going to see him in the shape he was 15 years ago again.

But like John Kalodner said, he seems to be handling himself better nowadays. He looked/sounded great in 2001 but then gained some weight back before the 2002 tour. Listen to the Boston bootleg - he's out of breath after every song.

His voice is already damaged from years of smoking and abuse - I'd say if he stays healthy he has another 10 years of "passable" performing left in him.

But his shelf life is much shorter than Mick Jagger or Stephen Tyler - I can't see him singing 20 years from now without looking/sounding terrible.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 08:11:36 PM by DunkinDave » Logged
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 08:29:25 PM »

This board never ceases to amaze me!!! hihi hihi hihi

I think even Axl himself would get a laugh out of this one.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 08:48:47 PM »

Posted on: Today at 01:08:50 PMPosted by: DunkinDave

His voice is already damaged from years of smoking and abuse - I'd say if he stays healthy he has another 10 years of "passable" performing left in him.

But his shelf life is much shorter than Mick Jagger or Stephen Tyler - I can't see him singing 20 years from now without looking/sounding terrible.

? Okay, it took me 398 posts here at HTGTH to mention my mom, but it's relevant here. ?She saw Elvis in July of 1975, about 2 years before he died at the age of 42. ?Yes, I know, it was alot different seeing that Elvis drugged and ate himself to death...but DunkinDave is right about time being of the essence. ?My mom wasn't a huge Elvis fan, but she was saddened by what she saw. ?By that time all you could do was feel sorry for the guy. ?I never want that to happen to Axl. ?Enough of that...

?I'm actually happy to hear that Axl was seen at Sanctuary. ?He can sit on his ass at home to collect checks, or have someone go run errands...for him to be there personally, it means he's needed. ?I think this is great news...and honestly, how f'in cool would that be, walkin' down a hallway, "Hello, Axl4Prez, how's it going?" ?Sweet! ? beer

Oops, w botaxl rose beat me to it, botaxl is probably right, but who cares?  I thought Axl looked awesome for the VMA's.  I still think an NFL (American football league) tie-in would kick major ass.  The jerseys kicked ass...especially the Minnesota Vikings!!!   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 09:07:48 PM »

Its just the botax that made em look bad... his face was... so.. shiney... and.. s-ss-so.. buldgy...  crying *remembering the vma's

You have to understand when we saw him in 2000-2002 he wasn't at his 130 pound coke/heroin weight from the early 1990's. But he weighed less than he did in 1998-ish when he got arrested.

When you lose weight, your face is one of the last parts the fat comes off of.

So assuming Axl doesn't resort to drugs to lose weight, you're never going to see him in the shape he was 15 years ago again.

But like John Kalodner said, he seems to be handling himself better nowadays. He looked/sounded great in 2001 but then gained some weight back before the 2002 tour. Listen to the Boston bootleg - he's out of breath after every song.

Huh? You're an idiot. There almost nothing truthful in your entire post.

Get lost, loser.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: