Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy joins Soul Asylum for two shows
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy joins Soul Asylum for two shows  (Read 20782 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2005, 12:42:17 PM »

at least Axl got the hell outta the midwest and made it in los angeles, there is nothing hayseed about AFD.
Now the Replacements, Sould Asylum,? ?what a bunch of shit, with that 80's hick sound,? and why do they
have to try to sing like Bob Dylan, that is not a good singer influence?
Yeah, could you just imagine the horror of GnR being influenced by a no good singer like Bob Dylan ... Axl and the old line-up doing a cover of Knockin' on Hea................? oh wait.? Lips Sealed

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Fitz
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2005, 12:52:43 PM »

As I said, this proves to be that Axl's band of freaks are horrible.  Soul ASSylum.  Thanks Jarmo for deleting my thread.  I see that you run a perfect CHINESE DEMOCRACY message board.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2005, 01:04:19 PM »

As I said, this proves to be that Axl's band of freaks are horrible.? Soul ASSylum.? Thanks Jarmo for deleting my thread.? I see that you run a perfect CHINESE DEMOCRACY message board.

This proves you're clueless.

I posted this earlier: If you wanna talk about Soul Asylum, do it in the right section.

Get a fucking clue.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2005, 01:23:48 PM »

As I said, this proves to be that Axl's band of freaks are horrible.? Soul ASSylum.? Thanks Jarmo for deleting my thread.? I see that you run a perfect CHINESE DEMOCRACY message board.

That wasnt verry nice, now was it?  no

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I caught this on cnn.com. tommy sitinson to Soul Asylum to here . . .

"Soul Asylum frontman Dave Pirner said he was anxiously watching news reports on television, hoping to see if his house in New Orleans had escaped destruction.

"We are, you know, examining our silver lining and being very lucky that we're out of harm's way," said Pirner, who was visiting his hometown of Minneapolis when the hurricane struck. "Our place in Minneapolis might be filling up with New Orleans transplants."

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2005, 01:46:19 PM »

Gosh, some ppl are as hasty as some "premature" Lawyer headscratch ?We better follow Saul's example.

Now the Replacements, Sould Asylum,   what a bunch of shit, with that 80's hick sound,  and why do they
have to try to sing like Bob Dylan, that is not a good singer influence?

Sorry another bloody off topic (maybe not), but have you ever grumbled here that Tommy didn't give you his autograph, by any chance? headscratch
sweechile
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2005, 01:55:44 PM »

Hey jarmo,  why did you change the name of this thread and the news update to tommy joins for 2 shows only? instead of the original, tommy joins soul asylum?
sounds like a spin to me.  i guess you can't leave the posters original intent, that is unless it is a slam against Axl.  why don't
you do that for axl?     there is something going on here (censored)
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »

Just for further info, I sent an email to the author of this piece and this is what he replied :

I got the snippet of information from morecowbell.net - a site  dedicated to music news in and around the Minneapolis / Twin cities  area. His new is usually pretty reputable but it is possible that it  could be based on bad information... or maybe I just read it wrong  and Tommy Stinson will be PLAYING with Soul Asylum, but not  necessarily joining the band full-time.

Michael

Now that is what you can read on morecowbell.net :

As buzzed about around the Twin Cities the last couple weeks, former Replacements/GNR bassist, Tommy Stinson, has been asked to play some shows with Soul Asylum this fall, and may join the band as well.
While no one can replace Karl, I know it was reported that he left a list of people he would have liked see take his place after he passed, and I have a feeling Tommy was pretty damn high on that list.

This would make for an interesting pairing imo, can?t wait for the new record to come out, all the songs i?ve heard so far live have been great.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2005, 02:25:39 PM »

It looks as though Tommy's just helping out some friends, getting to play a few gigs.

Good for him.

Anyway, I can't really imagine Soul Asylum being any kind of threat to Tommy's involvement in GNR.  Maybe a full on Replacements reunion could sway him, but not Soul Asylum...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »

Hey jarmo,? why did you change the name of this thread and the news update to tommy joins for 2 shows only? instead of the original, tommy joins soul asylum?
sounds like a spin to me.? i guess you can't leave the posters original intent, that is unless it is a slam against Axl.? why don't
you do that for axl?? ? ?there is something going on here (censored)

Nothing to do with Axl.

Just making it clear that Tommy's still in GN'R even thought he's joining Soul Asylum for the shows.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2005, 07:15:43 PM »

I would not be surprised to see Tommy join Soul Asylum on a permanent basis within the next 9 months.

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2005, 08:21:15 PM »

Sp1at.com

Stinson Has Not Joined Soul Asylum
2 September 2005, 2:14 PM

It has been reported that Tommy Stinson of Guns n'roses has joined Soul Asylum, replacing former bassist Karl Mueller who recently died of throat cancer.
We can report that this information is false, and we'll let Merck Mercuriadis, manager of Guns n'roses, explain the real truth.

"Tommy has not joined Soul Asylum. They are longtime friends of his and he is doing two gigs with them in tribute to their late bass player Karl."

So there you have it. You can all go back to sleep now

Written by bigboss

Please note that Tommy is still a member of Guns N' Roses.
Thank you!

Tina Chang
Sanctuary Group Inc.

08.31.05 ? Soul Asylum recruit new bass player

After the unfortunate passing of Soul Asylum bassist Karl Mueller it seemed that the band may call it quits but not Soul Asylum! No way! They've recruited former Replacements member Tommy Stinson. A new album should be out possibly in 2005. 

http://www.silentuproar.com/news/index.php

Thanks to Holtz, Todd

Edit: He's just playing two shows with them and is still in GN'R.

/jarmo

Wow, I heard last night via IM from a friend and fellow board member about the story which seemed to indicare that Tommy joined Soul Asylum.  I refused to believe it, did not get upset, and figured by today clarification would be available.

Now, I gotta compliment the GN'R community and network for making the actual situation clear.

Gunners Rule!   beer

and, as is my practice...  allow me to express some "Tommy love" 
 love Tommy  love
nyd
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2005, 09:03:09 PM »

Tommy Stinson rocks! He's the only reason I am waiting for Chinese Democracy really, can't wait to see his input in the project.

However a Replacements re-union would tickle my tastebuds somewhat  Roll Eyes Grin Westerberg & Stinson rock!!!!
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2005, 09:13:46 PM »

I may be a little late but Soul Asylum is still around!?  I haven't heard anything about them since the "Misery" tune or something like that about 10 years ago.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2005, 06:39:32 AM »

I may be a little late but Soul Asylum is still around!?? I haven't heard anything about them since the "Misery" tune or something like that about 10 years ago.

guess so, I hadn't heard them either.. Hell richard is with Nena, I haven't heard of them since the 80's with that 99 whatever balloon song..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2005, 01:42:41 PM »

Hell richard is with Nena, I haven't heard of them since the 80's with that 99 whatever balloon song..
And these two and Robin, Chriss, Brain are also with GN'R?  Oh am I forgetting Dizzy n Axl?

Come on, don't be snobby! That's not like you.

That said, Nena n Soul Asylum are no familiar to me.  Tongue so what?
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2005, 01:44:19 PM »

Soul Asylum was making great records long before 'Misery' broke them to the mainstream, and they continued to make music after. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time in the 90's when that kind of music was popular.

As for Tommy, I think its touching that he would do this as a tribute to his friend. Back in the day when Soul Asylum was called Loud Fast Rules they used to open for the Replacements. And as far them billing Tommy as the Replacements bassist without mentioning GnR, it's most likely a Minnesota thing, since the 'Mats and Soul Asylum are from the same town, and really drives the point home that Tommy is doing this out of respect and friendship. Otherwise most people would be like 'why is the guy from GnR playing with Soul Asylum?'. Most kids these days probably have no idea who the 'Mats or SA are, let alone if they are from the same town.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2005, 02:05:27 PM »

Hey thanks for the great input, michaelvincent.   Cheesy

Now I understand the event and the gackground much better.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2005, 12:30:09 AM »

Idi love to see Soul Asylum  open for gnr when they tour again.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
RichardNixon
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2005, 04:25:42 AM »

It looks as though Tommy's just helping out some friends, getting to play a few gigs.

Good for him.

Anyway, I can't really imagine Soul Asylum being any kind of threat to Tommy's involvement in GNR.? Maybe a full on Replacements reunion could sway him, but not Soul Asylum...

I don't see the point in having a Replacements reunion now that Bob Stinson is dead. Westerberg writes all the songs anyway, so what difference does it make who plays bass and drums. A new Westerberg solo album would sound the same as a Replacements reunion album. And I don't mean this in a negative way, I really liked most of his solo albums, I just mean it as a matter-of-fact.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: