Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 12:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The legacy of Use Your Illusion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The legacy of Use Your Illusion  (Read 13456 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2005, 12:34:15 AM »

What a load of shit. Seriously, if someone is gonna say Im not a true Axl/GN'R fan because I have complaints about some of their decisions, than that person can suck it. What a fuck hole thing to say. I don't think there has ever been a band in the history of music, that didnt at least make some mistakes, and if you are going to have this kind of blind love, then you are a sick fuck.

But saying that...I still respect you ok

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
RTK
Headliner

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2005, 01:25:45 AM »

The main complaints im hearing are that it was over produced or u didnt like all the songs. 
Well if u put 50 gnr fans in one room n asked them to pick their favourite 5 songs, or better yet their least fav songs ud get 49 dif answers.  IMO i dont really like the garden, breakdown or my world, but apparently theres a huge amount of fans who do, n i respect that.  That was the major problem in choosing the tracks for the album cuz some fans n critics say they hate one song n wouldnt mind if it had never been put on uyi, while others say those songs r their favs. 

To respond to the complaint that it was overproduced, all of the big namr bands at that time overproduced, n had they underproduced it u would all still be complaining about the fact that its poorly made n thus sux.  Wouldnt u rather have more than less?

I think that as more time goes by n especially if CD isnt the best album ever, the uyi twins will slowly leap ahead of afd.  They have grown on me n each time i listen to them i notice something dif. which enhances the experience. 

Ur complaints about filler r dumb, cuz if u wanna c real filler tracks check out any 80s glam rock album or most of the music out now, thats filler.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2005, 09:36:42 PM »

AFD will be remembered as the better album. This does not make it true. UYI has more filler, but its best tracks absolutely destroy a lot of the generic rock found on AFD. The more epic songs like November Rain, Civil War, Locomotive, Coma, 14 years, and Estranged are much better than nearely everything on AFD. Rockers like You Could Be Mine, Right Next Door To Hell, and Doulbe Talkin' Jive are as least as good, if not better, than their AFD counterparts.

People generally have a bad taste in music. The reality is, the UYI albums have more merit. All of GnR's albums, except TSI, have great strengths and weaknesses. When the filler is pushed aside, the UYI albums are the best.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2005, 10:42:42 PM »

People generally have a bad taste in music.

Haha, thats a laugh.  Basically what you're saying is that people generally don't agree with you, so you must assert your own isolated taste by calling theirs bad.

Hardly any UYI song that you cited (while good songs) are better than what is offered on AFD.  "Coma"?  Give me a break, it's an overlong, overproduced epic.  If you cut the length in half, and got rid of all those ridiculous abstract sounds like heartbeating and girls ranting, it might hold its own.

I will grant that some of the UYI songs are indeed better, such as "Estranged" and "November Rain", but aside from that you have hardly anything that parallels AFD.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2005, 02:51:40 AM »

Haha, thats a laugh.  Basically what you're saying is that people generally don't agree with you, so you must assert your own isolated taste by calling theirs bad.

No. People do have a bad taste in music. I look at music objectively.

Hardly any UYI song that you cited (while good songs) are better than what is offered on AFD.  "Coma"?  Give me a break, it's an overlong, overproduced epic.  If you cut the length in half, and got rid of all those ridiculous abstract sounds like heartbeating and girls ranting, it might hold its own.

I will grant that some of the UYI songs are indeed better, such as "Estranged" and "November Rain", but aside from that you have hardly anything that parallels AFD.

AFD has more energy, but a lot of the songs are technically inferior. SCOM, WTTJ, and Rocket Queen are great, of course, but there are lesser songs like Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Anything Goes. YCBM and RNDTH are much more refined and sharper than these.

The rockers come out close, but the UYIs' lasting strength are their more complex songs.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2005, 03:01:14 AM »

there are lesser songs like Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Anything Goes.
Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy are lesser songs? Get a clue. It's So Easy is easily one of the greatest head-banging, ball breaking rock songs around. Especially the ending. The only one with a bad taste in music here is YOU.  Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
RichardNixon
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2005, 10:42:31 PM »

"Estranged" is an orgasm to the ears.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2005, 11:17:34 PM »

Estranged and Coma are absolutely mind blowing.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2005, 12:16:17 AM »

"Estranged" is beautiful.  "Coma" could've been.  it's kind of a mixed bag to me.  Slash's riffs kick ass and Axl's got some great lyrics going on, but the song is WAY too long.  "Estranged" had enough great changes and different melodies to sustain its length.  "Coma" resorted to those heartbeat and ER noises.  A song can be powerful without adding abstract sounds like that.  And having those girls on there with those inane rants was just silly.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2005, 12:33:50 AM »

there are lesser songs like Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Anything Goes.
Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy are lesser songs? Get a clue. It's So Easy is easily one of the greatest head-banging, ball breaking rock songs around. Especially the ending. The only one with a bad taste in music here is YOU.  Tongue

Im pretty sure what he means is, musically speaking the songs are less "complex" than their UYI conterparts. Im not saying thats how I feel, but I don't think he's saying the songs are actually "worse."

And about the female bitching part in Coma... I like it. It adds to the sense of insanity and hopelessness. I just wish they bitched about more than sex, and that it had voices from both sexes... woulda came off stronger. I dunno.. for Coma.. I like almost every aspect of the song. I feel like.. it coulda been less cheesy... the "at the crossroads waiting for youuuuuu" part is super over the top... and not all the parts mix well... but in the end, I think Coma is still one of gn'r's greatest. If Axl can deliver songs simular to it, and focus it a biiiiiitttttt more I'll be happy. (Long as theres some rockers too)

-jack

gnrevolution.com
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2005, 07:02:05 AM »

Im pretty sure what he means is, musically speaking the songs are less "complex" than their UYI conterparts. Im not saying thats how I feel, but I don't think he's saying the songs are actually "worse."
RNDTH is more complex than Brownstone? RNDTH doesn't even have a guitar solo to speak of. With the exception of maybe 'Don't Damn Me', there aren't any UYI songs more 'complex' than  AFD songs.

Fuck 'Em All.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2005, 06:48:59 PM »

RNDTH is more complex than Brownstone? RNDTH doesn't even have a guitar solo to speak of. With the exception of maybe 'Don't Damn Me', there aren't any UYI songs more 'complex' than? AFD songs.

ummm RNDTH does have a guitar solo.... around when axl says "Fuck u...bitch"

but anyway, i dunno its really hard to compare the Illusions with appetite, but the fact is...they could have easily made another appetite but they werent happy with that they wanted to go in another direction, and if u look at it that way then they totally succeeded.
in my opinion they are close to masterpiece status but fall short, i would say that they are excellant albums, but too flawed to be masterpieces.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 06:50:48 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2005, 10:54:09 AM »

ummm RNDTH does have a guitar solo.... around when axl says "Fuck u...bitch"
I meant it doesn't compare to the solo in Brownstone.

Fuck 'Em All.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2005, 08:52:41 PM »

Axl always said the UYIs were not finished to his liking but the label and rest of the band pushed him into releasing it. Axl said after that he would never let that happen again. This is one of the main reasons CD is? being delayed because Axl wants it to be perfect.?

Yeah man, hes always said that...

"Everything on that record is exactly the f*cking way we wanted it. I can find a couple of points where a note wasn't quite in time, and a couple of things like that, but everything came out the way we wanted it." - Axl (Metallix, 1992)

" (On the Illusions) Slash and I were talking about that this morning. We're very proud of what we've done for ourselves. We planned it out since before we released the first album. We didn't know it was going to be quite so many songs, but we still feel it's the best thing we could have done." - Axl (RAW, 1993)
? ? ? ? ?
So either youre lying, or hes lying... hihi

By the way, when did he blame the rest of the band for pushing him into releasing it?

HAHAHAH that's awesome... Stop making shit up Booker!!!

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2005, 09:18:33 PM »

"Estranged" is beautiful.? "Coma" could've been.? it's kind of a mixed bag to me.? Slash's riffs kick ass and Axl's got some great lyrics going on, but the song is WAY too long.? "Estranged" had enough great changes and different melodies to sustain its length.? "Coma" resorted to those heartbeat and ER noises.? A song can be powerful without adding abstract sounds like that.? And having those girls on there with those inane rants was just silly.

I have a version without all those noises. There is just one screw up in the song but its sounds great without that extra crap.

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Y0DAVHIIODNC34TSG6URNUL3K
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 09:39:36 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2005, 11:46:54 PM »

I still think they are great albums but I am not so sure they stand the test of time that Appetite does or even the Acoustic side of LIES. ?I fucking loved every song on them when they came out but I was sooo into Gn'R then that they could have recorded Monkeys fucking and I would have liked it... If they came out today I my not have liked them as much, but they didn't and I still enjoy listening to them usually about once a year..I definately think Axl over did it on the vocals and stuff and wish that Izzy was louder. GnR sounds better raw and UYI's arent raw. ?I really don't listen to Gn'R alot because I have just heard it all so much. But every once in awhile I go on a kick... Here is what I think of the songs today.. I used to like them ALL at one point....

Right Next Door to Hell - ?Pretty good song still but it definately is filler. ?

Dust N' Bones - ? Still a pretty good rocker but a tad boring these days

Live and Let Die - ?Used to like it more but it still rocks.

Don't Cry (Original Version) - I like the music but I hate the cheesy lyrics, I could do without ever hearing it again ? ? ?
 actually.

Perfect Crime - ? I used to like it more, don't really like the sound of the vocals, again filler.

You Ain't the First- ?I guess I'll stop saying that I used to like the songs cause I already said I liked them all ?at one point. But this song is pretty boring to me now.

Bad Obsession - ?I still enjoy it but I think it would have been better with Izzy singing. ?

Double Talkin' Jive - Still a pretty good song ?

November Rain - ?A good song for what it was but I don't think it really stood the test of time and I could care less if I ever heard it again. ?

Garden - Classic, I still love this one... ? ?

Garden of Eden - ?Blah, vocals suck and it really isn't that greta of a song.. ?

Don't Damn Me - ?Still enjoy it ?

Bad Apples - Alwyas liked it but I still don't really like the vocals that much. ? I am starting to see a pattern, I definately liked the way Axl sounded better on Appetite and Lies..

Dead Horse - ?Still pretty cool ?

Coma - Fucking classic

Civil War - Another Fucking classic, perfect song

14 Years - Pretty good, better than Dust N Bones..

Yesterdays - Still sounds good

Knockin On Heavens Door - trash, from Axl's 15 vocals tracks to the stupid sample in the middle and teh chorus... I hate thisversion

Get In The Ring - Still sounds pretty good

Shotgun Blues - I used to like it alot more, again with the vocals

Breakdown - Still a great song

Pretty Tied Up - Bored

Locomotive- Fucking classic

So Fine - Used to like it more

Estranged - Still like it

You Could Be Mine - Great song and will never get old... I wish alot of teh other songs had the same production because they could have been alot better.

Don't Cry (Alt - Lyrics) - Blahhhhh

My World - I'm in the minority here but I like it still and always have..

I could still listen to the whole albums through on a long drive without skipping songs, but once a year is good enough for me and I just download some once in awhile...

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2005, 07:39:04 AM »

all I can say as a fan is afd never leaves my rotation.. Best album ever.. As good as the illusions are there are songs I skip now..
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2005, 04:15:16 PM »

Most of the weaker songs on the UYIs that people dont like that much anymore were either Duffs or Slashs babies. Most of Axls songs cept for the few have stood the test of time. 

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2005, 05:17:31 PM »

Most of the weaker songs on the UYIs that people dont like that much anymore were either Duffs or Slashs babies. Most of Axls songs cept for the few have stood the test of time.?

Okay, that post is just lame, a blatant off-topic attempt to aggrandize Axl and to slam Slash and Duff.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2005, 05:20:56 PM »

Most of the weaker songs on the UYIs that people dont like that much anymore were either Duffs or Slashs babies. Most of Axls songs cept for the few have stood the test of time.?

Okay, that post is just lame, a blatant off-topic attempt to aggrandize Axl and to slam Slash and Duff.

...Meet dave-gnfnr2k

By the way Dave, no response to my earlier post?

Axl always said the UYIs were not finished to his liking

"Everything on that record is exactly the f*cking way we wanted it. I can find a couple of points where a note wasn't quite in time, and a couple of things like that, but everything came out the way we wanted it." - Axl (Metallix, 1992)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: