Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 03:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The legacy of Use Your Illusion
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The legacy of Use Your Illusion  (Read 13492 times)
RichardNixon
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:37:30 AM »

Do you think they have stood the test of time? Do you think they are getting more praise and consideration over time, or are becomming more obscure?  Rolling Stone, in the new album guide gives UYI 1 five stars (out of five) and UYI 2 4 stars. Not to shabby.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 10:48:09 AM »

UYI are one of the greates album of all time, I think thay have inspirate a lot of bands, I hope it still goes that way  ok

No man can be my equal
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:54:39 AM »

The Use Your Illusion albums are great.  The variety of the songs on both discs are amazing.  I think time will only help these albums.  The thing that hurt them was everybody compared them to Appetite and expected a raw pure hard rock follow up to Appetite.  They didn't accept them forthe separate entity that they are.  They took a lot of risks on the album and I think it was great.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:05:59 AM »

In a historical perspective, the UYI's are generally portrayed as a footnote to the indelible imprint of AFD, I don't see that perception ever changing.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 03:01:01 PM »

They are/will be used to show how bloated rn'r had become before Nirvava came along and changed the whole scene & rightfully so. It's pretty much exactly what AFD had done only 4 years before to the hair metal bands of LA. ironic.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 03:43:06 PM »

It's pretty much exactly what AFD had done only 4 years before to the hair metal bands of LA. ironic.

One major difference though Botax, many of the LA bands still thrived after AFD. ?It actually magnified an already active Sunset Strip scene, most bands from that era really didn't see their demise til the fall of 91.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 03:46:51 PM »

In a historical perspective, the UYI's are generally portrayed as a footnote to the indelible imprint of AFD, I don't see that perception ever changing.

This sums it up accurately.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 03:47:45 PM »

many of the LA bands still thrived after AFD
gnr didnt thrive after AFD?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 04:00:22 PM »

many of the LA bands still thrived after AFD
gnr didnt thrive after AFD?

Sure they did, along with the already established bands of that ilk.  AFD actually enhanced that whole scene, they didn't put anybody out of business buy any means.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Dust N Rose
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 05:17:55 PM »

I still hear often YUI II (after 3 years) as it was a new record.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 05:40:08 PM »

One major difference though Botax, many of the LA bands still thrived after AFD.  It actually magnified an already active Sunset Strip scene, most bands from that era really didn't see their demise til the fall of 91.

It certainly made LA the place to be (which was still on a high from Motley Crue and Van Halen) as Nirvana did with Seattle later on.  There was a change in the tone of LA bands though, no more devil worshipping, the street look and sound became de rigeur.  Some of that was obvious posing of course. 
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 06:17:26 PM »

Its just too bad they werent masterpieces. They were close, but there are those misteps, that just give them too much negative inertia to be considered true classics. Its like, they have all this potential with some really cool ass songs, but then you get hit with this fuck up...that fucks up whatever groove you just got into.

Like with UY1. Im kickin some ass through the first 3 tracks, then Don't cry (and Im like yea this is pretty and all...), then it picks back, and then the country ho down track, and ok that was kinda funny I guess). Then some more ass kicking, then NR (yea that is pretty and all), then during the rain I can get some good puffs in for the Garden, then more ass kicking, then 2 kinda whatever ho hum tracks, then badass Coma step up to the plate.

UYI2. Kind starts cool, political, got something to say about fresh bread and war. Then a cool track, and yesterday is (sweet and wholesome), then a really cheeseball rendition of KOTD (that apparantely some 40 year olds who only own one GNR CD and that is the Greatest Hits, seem to like), then it further down the spiral of cheesy lameness, until Breakdown. This track plain fucks me up. Its like a dude who is getting it on with a super fine hot bitch, and right after foreplay she takes her pants off, and pulls out this dick, and slaps him in the face with it. Damn, that shit falls apart. Then some more RN'R, then this funky cool sounding shit (locomotive), then this bigtime pussy song. But then Estranged its, and yea that shit is cool, and almost makes you forget the shit you just stepped in. Then another badass rocker, then home another version of one of their other pretty songs. But the album does go out with a bang. Hehe...I know you think Im bein sarcastic, but I actually love My World. Yea Im in the minority, but what else is new.

Any UYI's don't have a real good Legacy. And they do IMO, represent a lot of what was wrong with the band at the time. Its bittersweet in the truest sense. Mixed fucking bag, that to me, is impossible to listen to straight through. My finger on the skip buttun works too much considering its a GNR album. And that always made me feel bad.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 06:46:20 PM »

Its just too bad they werent masterpieces. They were close, but there are those misteps, that just give them too much negative inertia to be considered true classics. Its like, they have all this potential with some really cool ass songs, but then you get hit with this fuck up...that fucks up whatever groove you just got into.

Like with UY1. Im kickin some ass through the first 3 tracks, then Don't cry (and Im like yea this is pretty and all...), then it picks back, and then the country ho down track, and ok that was kinda funny I guess). Then some more ass kicking, then NR (yea that is pretty and all), then during the rain I can get some good puffs in for the Garden, then more ass kicking, then 2 kinda whatever ho hum tracks, then badass Coma step up to the plate.

UYI2. Kind starts cool, political, got something to say about fresh bread and war. Then a cool track, and yesterday is (sweet and wholesome), then a really cheeseball rendition of KOTD (that apparantely some 40 year olds who only own one GNR CD and that is the Greatest Hits, seem to like), then it further down the spiral of cheesy lameness, until Breakdown. This track plain fucks me up. Its like a dude who is getting it on with a super fine hot bitch, and right after foreplay she takes her pants off, and pulls out this dick, and slaps him in the face with it. Damn, that shit falls apart. Then some more RN'R, then this funky cool sounding shit (locomotive), then this bigtime pussy song. But then Estranged its, and yea that shit is cool, and almost makes you forget the shit you just stepped in. Then another badass rocker, then home another version of one of their other pretty songs. But the album does go out with a bang. Hehe...I know you think Im bein sarcastic, but I actually love My World. Yea Im in the minority, but what else is new.

Any UYI's don't have a real good Legacy. And they do IMO, represent a lot of what was wrong with the band at the time. Its bittersweet in the truest sense. Mixed fucking bag, that to me, is impossible to listen to straight through. My finger on the skip buttun works too much considering its a GNR album. And that always made me feel bad.

The most fucked up review for an album i have ver heard man, even though its not but c'mon dude no,   thats just sad.

Only credit i give you here is that you like My World, is one of my fav. ok ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 07:29:51 PM »

Your review is pretty spot on with my thoughts on both records. UYI 1 just never grew on me as much as UYI2 however. There just is something about what I think is an abundance of filler on the first record. Sure Coma is pretty fucking epic but after that, even the glossy overproduction really irritates me about that one record.

The twin albums were in some regards a musical progression is sound and influences from the bluesy-rock of Appetite, but to me, the "tossed salad" of music styles just seemed lacking in areas and as Botaxl said, represented in someways what was in a mater of time going to be the downfall of the band's legacy.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
RichardNixon
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 08:01:49 PM »

I really think GN'R's best work is on UYI--Estranged, Breakdown, Coma, Locomotive. Even if AFD is a more even album, UYI is my personal favorite album.

And I think most of those songs still hold up well today.
conny
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 10:58:06 PM »

The band progressed, and most people (fans AND critics) couldn't keep up with that - so they bashed it. But if those people would take their heads out of their asses for a minute, they would realise UYI I & II as what it is - one of the best rock albums ever made.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 11:05:29 PM »

In 2001, BMG music magazine advertised the UYI albums as "tenth anniversary of two rock classics".   Cool

I think Buddha is right, for every incredible song on the UYI albums, there were missteps, such as "You Ain't the First" and the alternate lyrics version of "Don't Cry".  If they had whittled it down a bit, the albums would've been tighter and ultimately more revered.  But they were still successful and produced some of GNR's greatest songs such as "Estranged" and "November Rain".  I still hear "Rain" getting played on radio sometimes.
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

Ch. Democracy will be out when China's a Democracy

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 11:17:20 PM »

I really think GN'R's best work is on UYI--Estranged, Breakdown, Coma, Locomotive. Even if AFD is a more even album, UYI is my personal favorite album.

Don't forget that classic: "My World".

"It'll be out by 2009"
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 04:57:24 AM »

the 2 UYI albums are a masterpiece.

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
RichardNixon
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 09:23:24 AM »

Don't forget that classic: "My World".

I love "My World." It's Axl in a nutshell. It's only about a minute long anyway, a cool am memorable closer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: