Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash, Duff Sue Axl Over Guns N' Roses Publishing Royalties
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash, Duff Sue Axl Over Guns N' Roses Publishing Royalties  (Read 84914 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »

This is be fixed without going to court. Axl just has to make sure Slash and Duff get their checks. Just say it was an oversite. That simple.

That is not the case at all. If this was anything but a clerical on the part of the company, then S&D will certainly be looking for punitive damages. Cutting them a check for $92,000 post haste will not make this go away.
conny
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2005, 09:11:06 PM »

@ D

Remember the Jackson / McCartney thing? Jackson bought the Beatles catalogue (or large parts of it) for a sick amount of money. McCartney of course was still the writer, but didn't receive royalties as a WRITER. During that time, he got money from Beatles record sales as an ARTIST and PERFORMER, but not as a WRITER. While Jackson owned the rights, he also had saying in how the music was used commercially and what kind of products were released (Best Of, Videos etc.).

Now what has that to do with GN'R?

An awful lot, because Axl could be our Jacko in this case. I mean it's not like Slash and Duff presented the name (and whatnot else with it) to Axl on a silver plate, did they? How many times have you heard that story about how Axl FORCED them to sign over the name for MONEY or else he would leave the band? It's famous! Now take that "FORCED THEM" part away from that story (true or not, they DID sign away the name), and all you got left is SIGN AWAY FOR MONEY. Axl fucken BOUGHT the name and I doubt the name is all he bought.
Shoco
VIP

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »

were all GNR famns here, and i dont think anyone wants to see Slash or Duff filing bougus lawsuits, or Axl screwing them out of what is rightfully theyrs, and since none of us really has a clue as to whats going on cant we just leave the arguing to theyr lawyers??
conny
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »

were all GNR famns here, and i dont think anyone wants to see Slash or Duff filing bougus lawsuits, or Axl screwing them out of what is rightfully theyrs, and since none of us really has a clue as to whats going on cant we just leave the arguing to theyr lawyers??

It's very sad that at the moment, there's more lawsuits than MUSIC to talk about when it comes to GN'R.
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »

Cry
damn it axl...

if this is true...

goddamn, it would be a lot easier to be a fan to virtually ANY other artist out there right now.. i mean, there's musicians in worse legal shit than axl right now, but at least they put out fuckin' albums...

and nope i ain't goin' anywhere.

but i truly truly hope axl has some kind of defense to this..

robots.
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2005, 09:42:31 PM »

Do you guys really believe duff and slash just found out about this last week. ?Give me a fukin break, This is a fuking joke.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2005, 10:02:08 PM »

I dont think its the same thing however Conny because The Beatles signed a shitty deal that gave the record label control over their publishing, it isnt as if John Lennon sold it to Jacko

the record label owned it and they never received publishing checks which is why McCartney wanted to buy it.

If Slash and Duff had signed away their publishing rights to Axl, they wouldve stopped getting checks in 92-93 or whenever they signed it but they didnt stop getting checks

they only stopped getting checks since Axl sold it to Sanctuary thus making Slash and Duff right in this case.

they may have signed over the name, but they didnt give up their publishing.

Plus even if it was a Beatles situation, the label wouldve auctioned the GNR catalogue and we wouldve heard a news release about it, since we didnt hear anything obviously the catalogue was owned by the band.

Ill give axl some benefit of the doubt and yeah I agree KillingVector that things get screwed up, but  Axl's check didnt get fucked up so why should Slash and Duff's?

but we will see, I hope Axl wouldnt intentionally try to screw him out of it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2005, 10:05:07 PM »

Do you guys really believe duff and slash just found out about this last week. ?Give me a fukin break, This is a fuking joke.

It can be true since they only get four royalty checks a year (every three mons). So they found out in May, and maybe gave Axl a few months to see if it would come and it never did.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:19:45 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2005, 10:12:14 PM »

They didnt

they have been on tour, they havent been home to check their mail and believe it or not 92,000 isnt much to overlook and its beencoming regulary for 15 years so I guess u just get use to it being there.

They reported that they didnt get their FIRST QUARTER CHECK which covers the months of Jan,Feb,and March, so yeah they knew about it in April but had VR business to deal with, so now the tour is winding down, they have now the ample time to deal with it. ?they had tour dates and appearances so they couldnt afford a court apperance interfering, now they dont have to worry about that so thats why they waited till now.

Ill ask everyone on the board this

if someone took 92,000 from you, and tried to screw u out of 92,000 every 3 months, what would u do?

Forget your Idol unconditonal love for Axl

if someone did this to u, what would u do?

to quote John Shooter from Secret Window *whats right is right and whats fair is fair*

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2005, 10:21:37 PM »

They reported that they didnt get their FIRST QUARTER CHECK which covers the months of Jan,Feb,and March, so yeah they knew about it in April but had VR business to deal with, so now the tour is winding down, they have now the ample time to deal with it.  they had tour dates and appearances so they couldnt afford a court apperance interfering, now they dont have to worry about that so thats why they waited till now.

They had been off the road for about a month (from early july to early aughust) Why all of a sudden almost 2 months after they initially had a month off did they file a lawsuit? Seems like they want more publicity......
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2005, 10:37:04 PM »

Chineseblues, throughout this whole thread you have been heavily leaning towards Axl. Do you know of some evidence we don't know?  Axl historically keeps trying to fock over Duff and Slash.  Just looking back in history, odds are that slash is right.  This isn't new.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2005, 10:41:19 PM »

Re-reading the article, it makes me laugh how naive AXl is to think Slash and Duff's highly skilled lawyers wouldnt notice this. Maybe because of some very cloudy fine print in the deal with Sanctuary, Axl now expects his plan to work to perfection.

Axl's defense may well be that his contract with Sanctuary states he has full control of the catalogue.
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2005, 10:43:22 PM »

Bullshit they didnt know.

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2005, 10:50:04 PM »

You do realize that it take, um....TIME, to properly look into this shit right? I'm sure their accountants know pretty much to the day when that check arrives, and probably makes the necessary phone calls if it doesn't arrive on time. Its not like Duff sobered up one morning and went 'oh duhhhh...um, where is my 92 grand?'. God you people are stupid sometimes. I'm sure this isn't some frivolous thing they decided on over a margarita.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:52:03 PM by michaelvincent » Logged
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2005, 10:56:09 PM »

No, you guys are naive to believe there statements.  But whatever the press says is 100% true right?  Whatever, I dont believe it for a second.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2005, 11:04:25 PM »

The obviousness of this fraud is what bothers me. Would Axl think he could stop the royalty payments to Slash and Duff all of a sudden and do it in the shadow of a civil trial in November?

Axl is either one of the dumbest in a long line of dumb rockers or something else is wrong. who would think they could steal royalties from one of the most successful albums in history and get way with it?

Once again, the time frame is important because now these allegations can be brought up in the November trial.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:15:15 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2005, 11:05:30 PM »

If Axl knowing did this he is wrong but maybe Saucuary screwed up. Lets wait for them to comment.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2005, 11:22:07 PM »

I can't help but lean towards this being some kind of clerical/procedural snafu due to the deal Axl cut with Sanctuary.?

Until we get some sort of hardcore evidence pointing otherwise I'm going to go on that assumption.

Hell, if it is proved Axl did this with malicious intent, maybe he'll have to let CD go to help pay for punitive damages..

That's a pretty twisted silver lining...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2005, 11:23:04 PM »

who said that this lawsuit things will not delay the album ?
hun? hun??

Like Brain ( or tommy ) said some years ago... "the music is done" !!
thats the thing
the music is done... and I think the music is done before the 2002 tour and this shits is delaying the album !!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:25:28 PM by RnT » Logged

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2005, 11:58:14 PM »

There's no such thing as bad press.  While I have just as much information as the rest of you, something is wrong for Slash and Duff to have not gotten their checks.  If it was as simple as a clerical oversight, the problem would have been resolved without a lawsuit.  Don't you think that their accountants and lawyers have contacted Sanctuary or whomever has the publishing rights?  I for one hope this is an intentional publicity stunt by Axl to increase the interest of GN'R following VR and Greatest Hits to make a better market for Chinese Democracy.
  I don't know what's going on, but Axl isn't stupid and he had to know Slash and Duff would take notice when the checks they have been getting since at least 96/97 when they broke up quit coming.  This has to be alot more complex than we understand, but all will be revealed in the future.  D is 100% right about this.  Slash and Duff are just as important to the back catalog as Axl and they deserve royalties to the music they helped create.  If Axl tried to fuck them over, he deserves everything he gets.  I'm a huge Axl supporter, but IF he tried to pull one over on them, he's gonna be in some deep shit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: