Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The politics of GN'R/Axl Rose/Robin Finck
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The politics of GN'R/Axl Rose/Robin Finck  (Read 2378 times)
RichardNixon
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:44:04 PM »

If you go to Robin Finck's website, he has moveon.org on his links section, which is a very leftest site.

I wonder how Axl Rose feels about Bush, his views on Iraq, and so on. He made some statements about the gulf war in '91, but that was years ago.

I wonder if Robin is an influence on Axl. Just curious.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:46:15 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:54:37 PM »

I don't think Robin has any influence on axl nor does anyone for that matter he just seems to choose his own path
conny
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 07:07:01 PM »

There's more than just "right" and "left".? Wink

But to be honest, I'd much rather have them keeping their political views for themselves. If they want to make a statement, they should write a song, because after all that's what they are - musicians.

Robin's website isn't much about music though. It appears to be more like the personal playground of a beautiful mind.

Anyway, I've always lost a lot of repect for artists who got too involved in politics - no matter if I agreed with their views or not. I think it's wrong. If artists feel like using their position and influence as an artist to make a political statement and inspire people, then they should to that directly by making that statement through their art or else shut the fuck up.

In the 60's people like Bob Dylan and The Doors would write protest songs and express their political opinion. That had a much better impact and influence on people and the society than Bono discussing the third world's debt with Tony Blair over tea. Willie Nelson playing for the farmers - that was pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:09:42 PM by conny » Logged
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 07:18:12 PM »

I don't think Robin has any influence on axl nor does anyone for that matter he just seems to choose his own path

Thats bullshit mate Angry, Axl brings out the best in everyone, n' they've all said that.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 07:21:25 PM »

I used to think Axl should do a song about 9/11. But now that I think about it, maybe he shouldn't. When CD comes out, he needs to let people have an open mind about it,and not piss certain people off just because of one song. Remember when the Dixie Chicks made some comments about Bush, and people started booing them everywhere they went? Axl doesn't need that kind of bullshit.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 07:49:22 PM »

I used to think Axl should do a song about 9/11. But now that I think about it, maybe he shouldn't. When CD comes out, he needs to let people have an open mind about it,and not piss certain people off just because of one song. Remember when the Dixie Chicks made some comments about Bush, and people started booing them everywhere they went? Axl doesn't need that kind of bullshit.

Axl's talented enough to write a song that doesn't necessarily take sides...like Civil War.  Yes, it's anti-war, but it doesn't get into specific wars.   

Also, I'm glad to hear Robin has some good political sense.  Wink 

If artists feel like using their position and influence as an artist to make a political statement and inspire people, then they should to that directly by making that statement through their art or else shut the fuck up.

Conny, that's one fucked-up statement.  Just because they're famous, they're not allowed to express their opinions???  Sounds like "Chinese Democracy" to me.  Wink

peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
conny
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 07:54:39 PM »

If artists feel like using their position and influence as an artist to make a political statement and inspire people, then they should to that directly by making that statement through their art or else shut the fuck up.

Conny, that's one fucked-up statement.? Just because they're famous, they're not allowed to express their opinions?Huh Sounds like "Chinese Democracy" to me.? Wink

peace

?

I didn't say they're not allowed to have or express their opinion. It just comes down to what Bono you prefer - the Bono of 1983 singing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or the Bono of 2005. The intension is the same, but the expression is different.

peace
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 08:08:06 PM »

They should keep their politic opinion for themself. We ask them to make music, to record albums and to tour, not to make politic.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:09:43 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
RichardNixon
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 08:15:35 PM »

I'd still be a fan of Axl, no matter what his views are. However, I'd be disapointed if he were a right-winger like Gene Simmons.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:19:45 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 08:18:05 PM »

well, doesent the red star on the new GNR logo give us a pointing finger?

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 08:22:18 PM »

well, doesent the red star on the new GNR logo give us a pointing finger?
oh my god! Axl has turned communist! Shocked Grin

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 08:32:26 PM »

I didn't say they're not allowed to have or express their opinion. It just comes down to what Bono you prefer - the Bono of 1983 singing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or the Bono of 2005. The intension is the same, but the expression is different.

peace

I hear where you're coming from, but honestly, you've got to be able to separate the art from the personal life. ?I enjoy Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, Remember the Time...but that doesn't mean I support holding a kid over a balcony, or sleeping with boys.

Also, the Bono of 22 years later has realized he can help those who are less fortunate in more ways than music ever could. ? peace ?

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 09:01:37 PM »

Axl's talented enough to write a song that doesn't necessarily take sides...like Civil War.? Yes, it's anti-war, but it doesn't get into specific wars.?

"So I never fell for Vietnam, weve got the Wall of D.C. to remind us all that you cant trust freedom when its not in your hands..."

Also, I'm glad to hear Robin has some good political sense.? Wink?

Agreed.  yes

Conny, that's one fucked-up statement.? Just because they're famous, they're not allowed to express their opinions?Huh Sounds like "Chinese Democracy" to me.? Wink

Agreed.  If somebody is passionate about their views and wants to use their fame to make a difference, why not?  However, it certainly does risk alienating people. 

I know that Tommy is not a fan of the current administration and even thought about touring blue states only if I recall correctly. 
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »

The problem with musicians expressing their opinion is that they use their influence to force a large group of people hear one persons opinion.  They aren't any more informed about political situations then anyone else, and most of the time less informed and completly ignorant of situations.  What ends up happening is you have little teenagers believing whatever musicians and actors say, which is pretty fucking stupid.  Musicians should play music.  If they want to be a political band, that's their perrogative and they can say whatever they want in their music, but if not, stay the fuck out of it.  Too many musicians abuse their influence over people, especially younger kids.  Now, telling people to stay informed and look at both sides of an issue, that's a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:36:03 PM by jbenzz » Logged

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 09:36:36 PM »

Axl's talented enough to write a song that doesn't necessarily take sides...like Civil War.? Yes, it's anti-war, but it doesn't get into specific wars.?

"So I never fell for Vietnam, weve got the Wall of D.C. to remind us all that you cant trust freedom when its not in your hands..."

-Booker, you are correct sir. ?Good spot. ?Now, Axl wasn't really saying anything that 90% of folks today (except the war/chicken-hawk fringe) wouldn't agree with...ya know, Viet Nam being a ridiculous waste of human life and resources. ?Today in the States, it's history repeating itself. ?This time though, those in charge have brilliantly designed an atmosphere in which one can't support the troops unless they support the war. ?A war, mind you, that began because Iraq was an "imminent threat," and possessed "weapons of mass destruction." ?Oh well, since those didn't hold water, let's say it was because we needed to free the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator. ? Grin ?

Well, since enough people here in the States bought that shit to elect Dumb-Ass again, Axl would be wise to steer clear from politics. ?America is politically polarized at this time. ? Sad
 beer ? ?peace

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 09:46:24 PM »

They should keep their politic opinion for themself. We ask them to make music, to record albums and to tour, not to make politic.

Freedom of speech = only good if you like what they have to say.
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 10:42:19 PM »

I don't care if the person reads my mind on national television, I've got no respect for someone who abuses their power.  Musicians that have influence also have a responsibility to their audience that they don't go beyond their scope.  If they want to spend their time working for an organization (without using their fame) or money to support an issue, they are more then welcome to. 

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 11:04:07 PM »

They are people aswell, they are allowed to have opinions...  yes

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 11:10:52 PM »

I'd much rather have them keeping their political views for themselves.
Wish Scotty boy would take that advice...

If I had to guess, Im sure RObin and Axl and some of the other members get into some political discussions. If I had to guess I would bet Axl is anti Bush.

Kinda about the topic.....

That another thing why Im eager to hear CD. I wanna hear whats on Axls mind about the world. The guy seems to be exploring many different types of things over the years. ALonmg with being a comic. Thats whats great about Axl. Hopefully we get to hear from him...lets go lets go lets go!

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 01:03:10 AM »

You don't think CD is a political song?

Civil war is pretty straight forward in it's views, not hard to read into.

Tesla did a great song called "Heaven 9-11", good enough for me to buy my first Tesla album ever, great song.

People are people. Nobody cares about our opinions because we aren't famous. If we were, we'd be sharing them still, just with a microphone in front of our face.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: