Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 10:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Should the Government cap the price of gas?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the Government cap the price of gas?  (Read 9781 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 09:51:03 PM »

I thought at one time I heard that the "shortage" of oil was being blamed on the Chinese.  OPEC wants to produce only a set amount of oil per day (barrels) and if there is an economy that at one time wasn't using these products and now they are, that is causing an impact/shortage here in the US.

Now I'm not trying to blame the Chinese or anyone...don't get me wrong.  I think it is a wake up call to us (Americans) that oil is a limited natural resource and we need to be thinking about the impact of this now.  You know, maybe one day there won't be any oil or anyone to drill or produce it...what would we do?

Where I live, water is a resource that we have to get from other states primarily.  So we pay dearly for it.  I use it sparingly and it has just becomes a way of life after awhile.

I think everyone will adjust and hopefully use alternative methods to save on gas.  If not, there will be less money to spend elsewhere.  Everyone is feeling this and I feel sorry for those small businesses that have to pass along these costs to us, the consumer.

see you are almost right on the mark.... let me guide ya back a bit.

India and China in 15yrs or less that will be the population placements are growing rather fast and their own demand on the current supply is forcing the price up. OPEC being the power hose controls a rather large stake in teh oil production world wide. it was always said that they maintained a 20% ceiling on production.... what we are finding out now is that they are currently near 90-95% production capibility world wide..... and they cant make the step up to the next level, and curb the prices to create a price fall. With teh growing demand pressure being put on by these 2 insanely large markets, in 10 years fo trends remain the same with growth and exploration there will be a -1% on supply, and that is also because the new feilds are located in harder and harder to reach locations, making the cost rather high for production. Another problem that makes the oil gap on domestic production rather large is much of teh east coast oil has very high sulphur content. making the refing process more expensive and as such much of this oil is sold to other nations with lower enviroment reg's and we get theirs for our own production. Coming from a rather Oil rich provience in eastren canada (higher sulphr then west of NA) we ship 2 tanker of crude to veneula for 1.5 tanker of their crude. that is a rather intresting trade.... but it makes for cleaner air at home........

But with developing nations such as INdia and China (there about 20yrs behind overall on oil demands) catching up to us, the supply problems will only ge worse not better.... and the change over needs to occur asap..... africain countries can be pushed past this growth point and it will assist them into the future..... its teh big brother principal.... we as the west over all need to step up and take the lead in thse technologies and help others come beyond their reliance faster. its teh only way to the future..... one where we are only fighting over fresh water..... LOL

I like what you have to say...but the way you post, I swear you are half dyslexic. hihi

Is it just me?
Dry Heat
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 10:07:53 PM »

Great and interesting dialog going on here!? I love this stimulating conversation...takes me back to my college days.? I always had an opinion to share!? I didn't even think of India and their demand on oil supply.?

Hybrid and solar cells are the way of the future for cars.? I haven't or read that the sun's energy is diminishing any time soon? ?Cheesy

Have a great weekend...I really enjoyed reading these comments and ideas.

Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »

I thought at one time I heard that the "shortage" of oil was being blamed on the Chinese.? OPEC wants to produce only a set amount of oil per day (barrels) and if there is an economy that at one time wasn't using these products and now they are, that is causing an impact/shortage here in the US.

Now I'm not trying to blame the Chinese or anyone...don't get me wrong.? I think it is a wake up call to us (Americans) that oil is a limited natural resource and we need to be thinking about the impact of this now.? You know, maybe one day there won't be any oil or anyone to drill or produce it...what would we do?

Where I live, water is a resource that we have to get from other states primarily.? So we pay dearly for it.? I use it sparingly and it has just becomes a way of life after awhile.

I think everyone will adjust and hopefully use alternative methods to save on gas.? If not, there will be less money to spend elsewhere.? Everyone is feeling this and I feel sorry for those small businesses that have to pass along these costs to us, the consumer.

see you are almost right on the mark.... let me guide ya back a bit.

India and China in 15yrs or less that will be the population placements are growing rather fast and their own demand on the current supply is forcing the price up. OPEC being the power hose controls a rather large stake in teh oil production world wide. it was always said that they maintained a 20% ceiling on production.... what we are finding out now is that they are currently near 90-95% production capibility world wide..... and they cant make the step up to the next level, and curb the prices to create a price fall. With teh growing demand pressure being put on by these 2 insanely large markets, in 10 years fo trends remain the same with growth and exploration there will be a -1% on supply, and that is also because the new feilds are located in harder and harder to reach locations, making the cost rather high for production. Another problem that makes the oil gap on domestic production rather large is much of teh east coast oil has very high sulphur content. making the refing process more expensive and as such much of this oil is sold to other nations with lower enviroment reg's and we get theirs for our own production. Coming from a rather Oil rich provience in eastren canada (higher sulphr then west of NA) we ship 2 tanker of crude to veneula for 1.5 tanker of their crude. that is a rather intresting trade.... but it makes for cleaner air at home........

But with developing nations such as INdia and China (there about 20yrs behind overall on oil demands) catching up to us, the supply problems will only ge worse not better.... and the change over needs to occur asap..... africain countries can be pushed past this growth point and it will assist them into the future..... its teh big brother principal.... we as the west over all need to step up and take the lead in thse technologies and help others come beyond their reliance faster. its teh only way to the future..... one where we are only fighting over fresh water..... LOL

I like what you have to say...but the way you post, I swear you are half dyslexic. hihi

Is it just me?

I kinda see your point - but we all make a slip!!
thse, its teh only, only ge worse ? I assume thats what you're talking about??

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
SLCPUNK
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 10:14:05 PM »

Great and interesting dialog going on here!  I love this stimulating conversation...takes me back to my college days.  I always had an opinion to share!  I didn't even think of India and their demand on oil supply. 

Hybrid and solar cells are the way of the future for cars.  I haven't or read that the sun's energy is diminishing any time soon   Cheesy

Have a great weekend...I really enjoyed reading these comments and ideas.

It is a very interesting, yet depressing subject. I see our leaders lack of foresight aiding our demise. Alternative energies that will power our homes, our cars, create our plastics, agriculture equipment etc etc are in there infancy. Peak oil may be now or in another 50 years. It is very possible that we may see a great depression as our grandparents did.

Our leaders need to quit playing grab ass and get to work to create energy.

Here is an article talking about China's oil consumption....more than ever..

http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501041025-725174,00.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:19:40 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
BigCombo
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 10:21:01 PM »

In order to decrease demand in the immediate future (5 years), hybrid vehicles are the best way to go.  A vehicle that runs on batteries only would require charging stations  which are few and far between. 

To answer the original question...No, the government should not put a cap on gas prices.  High prices are the ONLY way to get the US off its appetite for oil. 

I've always wondered about the possibility of synthetic fossil fuels were....
Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 10:22:34 PM »

In order to decrease demand in the immediate future (5 years), hybrid vehicles are the best way to go.? A vehicle that runs on batteries only would require charging stations? which are few and far between.?

To answer the original question...No, the government should not put a cap on gas prices.? High prices are the ONLY way to get the US off its appetite for oil.?

Apparently A man in Hungary I think can run his car on Sunflower Oil, with minor modifications to the motor!? He has since changed many peoples motors in his town and most of them are running on sunflower oil!?  I will try to find the exact link and let you guys read it...

SLCPUNK
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 10:23:57 PM »

In order to decrease demand in the immediate future (5 years), hybrid vehicles are the best way to go.  A vehicle that runs on batteries only would require charging stations  which are few and far between. 

To answer the original question...No, the government should not put a cap on gas prices.  High prices are the ONLY way to get the US off its appetite for oil. 

People, in America anyway, need to be hit in the pocketbook to change. My fear is that they will continue to charge away as the prices increase...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 10:25:07 PM »

Apparently A man in Hungary I think can run his car on Sunflower Oil, with minor modifications to the motor!? He has since changed many peoples motors in his town and most of them are running on sunflower oil!?  I will try to find the exact link and let you guys read it...

You can take any diesel car or truck and do the modification. I am doing one this winter once I find the suitable vehicle. It should cost me around 300 bucks for the modification and arourn 60 cents a mile to operate. I work on cars as a hobby, so I should be able to do this myself...with some help from the internet. Wink

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/biodiesel%5Fbasics/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:28:35 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 10:28:28 PM »

Here you go!!:

http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/footnmouth/biofuel.html

Very interesting ?Smiley ?But I like this Part:

It was a nice irony, because, as the cooking-oil driver discovered when he was fined ?500 and had his car impounded, the government is not amused by cheap alternative fuel. Diesel is relatively pricey because a large chunk of the cost is made up by duty. Cooking oil carries no such tax. But if it is put to use in a petrol tank, duty is due.

Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 10:30:52 PM »

In order to decrease demand in the immediate future (5 years), hybrid vehicles are the best way to go.? A vehicle that runs on batteries only would require charging stations? which are few and far between.?

To answer the original question...No, the government should not put a cap on gas prices.? High prices are the ONLY way to get the US off its appetite for oil.?

Apparently A man in Hungary I think can run his car on Sunflower Oil, with minor modifications to the motor!? He has since changed many peoples motors in his town and most of them are running on sunflower oil!?? I will try to find the exact link and let you guys read it...

You can take any diesel car or truck and do the modification. I am doing one this winter once I find the suitable vehicle. It should cost me around 300 bucks for the modification and arourn 60 cents a mile to operate. I work on cars as a hobby, so I should be able to do this myself...with some help from the internet. Wink

Well then good luck SLC!! I'm rooting for you!!!

SLCPUNK
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 10:33:51 PM »

When it is done in the winter I will post pics.....
Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 10:34:27 PM »

When it is done in the winter I will post pics.....

Nice work!!! ok I'm looking forward to seeing it!!!!

N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 10:36:29 PM »

Apparently A man in Hungary I think can run his car on Sunflower Oil, with minor modifications to the motor!? He has since changed many peoples motors in his town and most of them are running on sunflower oil!?? I will try to find the exact link and let you guys read it...

I've heard of the Sunflower Oil car but i didn't think it would actually work.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 10:37:29 PM »

Apparently It does - and Im with the people in this: http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/footnmouth/biofuel.html

SLCPUNK
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2005, 10:56:20 PM »

Yes it does.  Diesel can run on just about anything. Cool huh?

Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 10:57:53 PM »

Yes it does.? Diesel can run on just about anything. Cool huh?

I'm glad we are together on this one SLC.... i cant wait until i get a car so I can play with it Smiley

SLCPUNK
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »

There is also this type of car....It's a little crude, but it gets you around....

Cheap on gas, but you go through lots of shoes....

Edit: This is not actual size, this is a model.

Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 11:03:08 PM »

There is also this type of car....It's a little crude, but it gets you around....

Cheap on gas, but you go through lots of shoes....

Edit: This is not actual size, this is a model.

Who's that SEXY beast driving???  Wink SLCCC?HuhTongue

SLCPUNK
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 11:07:41 PM »

I only wore that shirt because it was laundry day.....The tie however, is one of my personal favs...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 11:11:08 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Queen of Everything
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 11:18:07 PM »

I only wore that shirt because it was laundry day.....The tie however, is one of my personal favs...

I really like the Butch, Buff arms!!!!  Wink! Wink! you're invited to my house ANYDAY!  hihi

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: