Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What was the purpose of the 2002 tour?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the purpose of the 2002 tour?  (Read 10801 times)
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2005, 05:45:42 PM »

i think the OMG press release was possibly takes the cake though

I'm still trying to decifer that one. Huh

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2005, 05:54:58 PM »

i think the OMG press release was possibly takes the cake though

I'm still trying to decifer that one. Huh

yeah, its a bizarre one - he definitley sounds like a raving looney and lofty to boot

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2005, 06:02:33 PM »

He does do a good job of building up the song in that one, though...

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2005, 06:04:41 PM »

here it is

So here's the story behind this music
The chorus: OH MY GOD etc. deals with the societal repression of deep and often agonizing emotions - some of which may be willingly accepted for one reason or another - the appropriate expression of which (one that promotes a healing, release and a positive resolve) is often discouraged and many times denied. Emotionally the song contemplates several abstract perspectives drawing from personal expression as well as from the film (End Of Days) and its metaphors. The appropriate expression and vehicle for such emotions and concepts is not something taken for granted.

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. As the verse, performance and lyrics were decided on, for us (that especially includes Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine) the choice became obvious. We were more than pleased Mr. Roswell (the film's music supervisor) agreed! Our thanks to Arnold and all for the consideration - it is an association in which we have always felt honored.

Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White.

The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression than many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada,

Axl

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2005, 06:29:07 PM »

the tuesday after the VMA'S would have been a great idea.i still don't understand the whole touring with no cd.it didn't make sense.if only he released it soon after the VMA'S then it would have def been a top seller.even  new fans would have bought it.

the one an only horsey !
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2005, 06:33:26 PM »

I think that, during the organization of the world tour, the plan was to release the album in Dec of '02..but by the time the US leg of the tour actually rolled around to happening, that plan had changed.  I also think CC was pissed about the change, because they had figured that GnR were going to have, based on what was said during the planning phase of the tour, a new album to tour behind.  I think that was the first thing that annoyed CC...no new album.  Then, the first riot happened, and they were even more steemed.  Then Philly happened and they just decided to pull the plug, fed up.

Again, all my speculation.

Makes sense to me. It seems some North American gigs were apparently planned starting from September 2nd, the week following the VMA's. So far so good. Then, in early August, reports come in saying that gigs in Australia, Korea and Indonesia will take place between September 11th and 29th. On August 12th, two days before Hong Kong, Axl really started clearing the post-VMA plate, postponing all the said gigs. Tommy Pratama, the Indonesian promoter, said his gig ended up being slotted for Jan/Feb '03, following the rescheduled Australian leg of the tour. "Gunners had hoped to release the album in September but the record is now scheduled for November, according to Pratama."

Every time they rearranged the tour plan, they seemed to be heading back into the studio. At one point, Axl might've hoped pulling out a UYI, completing the record while on the road. In September, there was still a lot of buzz for a Christmas '02 release. And once again, on Nov. 24th, the day before a very much rumored unveiling of the first single (Catcher in the Rye), Dizzy says CD might come out during the summer of '03.

If all of this sounds kind of... mindboggling, I can wholeheartedly agree with Pilferk that CC must've been really pissed during the course of the North American tour. With an album in sight, they might've cut Axl more slack after Philly, but...

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2005, 06:36:50 PM »

here it is

So here's the story behind this music
The chorus: OH MY GOD etc. deals with the societal repression of deep and often agonizing emotions - some of which may be willingly accepted for one reason or another - the appropriate expression of which (one that promotes a healing, release and a positive resolve) is often discouraged and many times denied. Emotionally the song contemplates several abstract perspectives drawing from personal expression as well as from the film (End Of Days) and its metaphors. The appropriate expression and vehicle for such emotions and concepts is not something taken for granted.

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. As the verse, performance and lyrics were decided on, for us (that especially includes Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine) the choice became obvious. We were more than pleased Mr. Roswell (the film's music supervisor) agreed! Our thanks to Arnold and all for the consideration - it is an association in which we have always felt honored.

Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White.

The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression than many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada,

Axl

i found that pleasin to read.good letter.

the one an only horsey !
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2005, 07:36:42 PM »

Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven.
oho....very interesting. Hope this guy will not feature on any songs of the album. as a producer. Is he the guy behing the so called "industrial" mix of the songs? The production of "oh my god" was one of the weakest one I've ever heard.
if they want a good producer they should recall Mike Clink. That guy is a genius. Roy thomas Baker (queen) seems amazing too. Also who had produced U2 "archtung Baby"? because the whole production is sensational.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »

I truly believe the album was almost done and would have been out sometime in 2003/04. then the whole Bucket thing threw the plans off. And ever since..well...

"In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further."

Huh

I always thought the "without giving away any details" part hilarious myself.  hihi

You're not gonna give away any details uncle axl?! But thats so unlike you!  rofl

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2005, 01:02:40 AM »

I truly believe the album was almost done and would have been out sometime in 2003/04. then the whole Bucket thing threw the plans off. And ever since..well...

"In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further."

Huh

Axl said that they would record after the 2002 tour. I dont think they ever anticipated a release during the tour.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2005, 01:26:58 AM »

"There are a lot of new songs that were just done in the last year that we feel that ?okay, well that bumps a lot of stuff off the previous list but it's time to stop that now and wrap up the baby. It feels right, the timing, and a lot of things. We?ve sorted it down to what songs are on the record. What the sequence of the songs is. The album cover art is ready."  Axl Rose, August 2002

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2005, 12:35:12 PM »

Axl said that they would record after the 2002 tour. I dont think they ever anticipated a release during the tour.

If there was never any intention of having the record out during, or shortly after the tour then why was there so many hard feelings in Buckethead's regard to recording/rerecording from where they left off once the tour was cancelled.

"There are a lot of new songs that were just done in the last year that we feel that ?okay, well that bumps a lot of stuff off the previous list but it's time to stop that now and wrap up the baby. It feels right, the timing, and a lot of things. We?ve sorted it down to what songs are on the record. What the sequence of the songs is. The album cover art is ready."? Axl Rose, August 2002

That statement from Axl is almost shockingly similar to the one Tommy gave only a few months  ago where he mentions only a few loose ends being tied up (cover art, song selection, etc)

I think with respect to the new material and record  the band may or not have been ready to release following the tour... Axl (a) Took a huge loss to his ego and song writing abilities and as a result decided to shelve/scrap the majority of material that had been recorded so far (also causing Buckethead alienation), or may have as alot of reports have stipulated, simply and may still be going over what was recorded with a fine tooth-comb.
(b) Following the tour, Axl assembled the entire band back into the studio and recording was great until Buckethead quits also around the time the record company drops GnR from their payola. Axl is enraged but allows Finck and Fortus to promply finish the gap Buckethead left orAxl is so enraged Buckethead's material is shelved and - "This unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further." Robin and Richard will revolve off and on lead until the record is complete....

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: