Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:24:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What was the purpose of the 2002 tour?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the purpose of the 2002 tour?  (Read 10853 times)
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2004, 11:47:29 AM »

i wanna know drool

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
estranged.1098
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2004, 07:03:05 PM »

estranged.1098 is probably talking about the letter we got concerning GNR not going to RIR

bingo!

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2004, 07:30:45 PM »

estranged.1098 is probably talking about the letter we got concerning GNR not going to RIR

bingo!

Yes but nothing has been said since... March closing in on mid november....
estranged.1098
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2004, 07:33:57 PM »

I really don't care if it was March 2004 or 2000. Axl said that we'll hear from him when the album is done and I guess I'm happy enough with that. Don't need him creating a diary to keep us "updated".

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »

I really don't care if it was March 2004 or 2000. Axl said that we'll hear from him when the album is done and I guess I'm happy enough with that. Don't need him creating a diary to keep us "updated".

I know, it was just he said the recording would be taken to a new level, and hopefully would make a statement in a few months.. I know he said hopefully but that just means things might have not gone for the better.. I want to enjoy this soon.,..
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2004, 12:43:52 AM »

yes "soon",  Wink

ChristineP
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2004, 07:13:35 PM »

After the VMAs Axl said in regards to the release of Chinese Democracy "I wouldn't say soon, but it will come out".? Clearly the album was a long way from being finished at the time the tour launched.? The tour was poorly promoted and was titled after an album that didn't even have a tenative release date.? Looking back it was a very bizarre and illogical tour, I was wondering what people thought about it.? The only explanation I can think of is that Axl sensed the band was becoming restless and felt that the tour would somehow appease them as well as give them some paydays for their work on the album.? Any other reasons as to why it even happened?? Generally big time bands only do two types of tours, to promote an album that is about to be released or is release, or reunion types of tours where the band is no longer making albums regularly but still have a large fanbase that will come see them perform.? This tour was neither.?
Embarrassed  It could have been great!  Actually it was great in London!  Too bad it all didn't go as planned!
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2004, 10:24:03 AM »

I love the london docklands gig, for whatever purpose... i digged it

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2004, 10:29:40 AM »

Absolutley!!! I was at that show, it was the first time I had seen the new band and my first GnR gig since Milton Keynes in 93. The whole performance was absolutley fucking amazing. This is the reason why Im so positive about the future of GnR, cos the whole performance proved that GnR will bring back to the music world something that has been missing for a long time now!!!

norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2004, 10:35:40 AM »

Absolutley!!! I was at that show,
lucky bastard, i still have the ticket they was supposed to do in norway 2001, never been at one Undecided
he lost his pants at patience rofl
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 10:37:24 AM by norway » Logged

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2004, 10:59:42 AM »

Yeh it was awesome! Shame you have never seen them live! However that should all change over the next few months when they tour!I have been lucky enough to see them 9 times would have been 10 but I had to sell my ticket to see them in Paris in 1992 cos I was skint!! I was stood at the Docklands show with a bloke from Israel and he had been to see the show at pukklepop (hope I have spelt that correctly!) and he said that was a fucking awesome show but that this one at Docklands was even better! He was right, Axl was on fire the whole night! He was really into it and seemed liked he was happy as fuck with the new band!!!!!

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2004, 01:02:10 PM »

and seemed liked he was happy as fuck with the new band!!!!!
You too seem so.? yes and guess what? So am I.? yes

The 2002 tour had a good effect on us.

I have been lucky enough to see them 9 times
  rant as remarked below.
lucky bastard,
?Wink
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2004, 01:13:49 PM »

This topic has been pretty much covered.? After the Vma's, any hope for CD diminished. Axl clearly said that it would not be anytime soon. In lieu of that, the tour seemed to be a catalyst for the band to generate some chemistry and propel their subsequent recording. From what I understand, CD was being created in long jam sessions after which pieces were isolated and worked on independently by each player. I think the tour was meant to gel the players so that when they went back to work, the lightning of MSG or Toronto would move the recording new directions. Remember these guys had only done a few shows together before the US blowout. Pretty remarkable.

yes
he even said they were going to go back to the studio after american leg of the tour

i think that legal issues that arose from the cancelled tour have to  settled to some degree before gnr can negotiate a favorable contract with another promoter for another us tour

we all say touring without an album is a mistake
but what about an album with no tour
the album needs to be backed by a tour
i don't think they are going to release an album without having the way cleared for a tour
and i don't think this is something they have been in a position for up to now
and perhaps for a while still

know what i'm saying
sure they can tour overseas
but as a business, I'm thinking, GN'R needs to set the record straight and be vindicated with regards to the legal issues that are ongoing regarding the 02 us tour, before they can proceed to 'do business' here again

there were TWO cancelled shows and two riots...
if GN'R is to be held legally liable for those then it would make any tour/promoter contract and insurance and all that kind of stuff very unfavorable towards them
GN'R is a business.... 
what has been going on since Dec 02?
I think they have been taking care of business
and when its all set straight they will resume

Give 'em hell Axl.  ok
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2004, 01:22:30 PM »

being they were going to play rio 4 I think the legal issues might have been on the deline, and they must have had new songs because they weren't going to repeat with the same songs.. I wonder if just playing would have been better for the group in the way the 2002 tour helped them have a good time from the daily grind?

I can't wait to one day have about three hours to kill with silence and read the ultimate interview while listening to cd.. I want to know exactly what happened since kurt loder last talked to axl, I want to know when they finished the album ,I want to know what happened on dec 6th, etc etc etc..
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2004, 08:13:44 PM »

being they were going to play rio 4 I think the legal issues might have been on the deline,

not necessarily
legal issues here in the states with this countries hugest tour promoter and venue controller (Clear Channel) would not have affected plans to play RIR 4 Lisbon.  Not only because it is abroad but consider that Rock in Rio's promoter loves Axl and loves Gun N' Roses!  -- the BS here in the states wouldn't affect that - Roberto Medina wouldn't withdraw his invitation /slot for Axl/GN'R for anything
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2004, 09:49:24 AM »

gnr booking agents, ticket buyers, bookers, hosting erc: true gamblers at heart Wink

isn't gnr banned from a radiostation beacuse of some trouble from 02?

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2004, 10:08:43 AM »

being they were going to play rio 4 I think the legal issues might have been on the deline,

not necessarily
legal issues here in the states with this countries hugest tour promoter and venue controller (Clear Channel) would not have affected plans to play RIR 4 Lisbon.? Not only because it is abroad but consider that Rock in Rio's promoter loves Axl and loves Gun N' Roses!? -- the BS here in the states wouldn't affect that - Roberto Medina wouldn't withdraw his invitation /slot for Axl/GN'R for anything

That's very true but my point was they were most likely making progress with the album because they were playing a show for the first time.. They had to have something new, I doubt axl would have played those tired boots again..

Also everything they can't do is blamed on those suits, so it seemed like things might have been easing up.. WHy do rio to only go back into hiding again..? Things might have been on the decline simply because this is the first time since dec 6th that gnr as a group showed life..

Either way it's not a big deal, nothing happened and it's the same today as the 6th of december, the end of march, and the 23rd of november..
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2004, 08:56:42 PM »

WHy do rio to only go back into hiding again..?

I happen to believe that the other rumoured European festival dates were to follow.

Either way it's not a big deal, nothing happened and it's the same today as the 6th of december, the end of march, and the 23rd of november..

eh... well almost...
on dec 6 we did not know ANYTHING
and since the end of March we know that it IS coming  yes

The 2002 tour had a good effect on us.

Amen to that.
and I believe that it did also have a good effect on the band
It had to be really good for them to play and tour together...  that's when a band really becomes a band  ok
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2005, 11:01:18 PM »

Ok, I know Axl doesnt follow any perceived norms but it was pretty random to tour out of the blue in 2002. No record to promote, not even a GH.

My theory is that most of CD was recorded after the 2002 tour and the shows were planned to let the band gel in a live setting before finishing off recording for CD?

Any other theories out there?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2005, 11:05:27 PM »

You basically hit it right on the head. Who knows how much of CD was done at the time but it I think Axl wanted to play the old songs for 1 last time{ for the most part} and also get the band out fo the sudio and see how it all works in a live setting.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: