Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 01:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What was the purpose of the 2002 tour?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the purpose of the 2002 tour?  (Read 10861 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« on: November 16, 2004, 04:39:35 PM »

After the VMAs Axl said in regards to the release of Chinese Democracy "I wouldn't say soon, but it will come out".  Clearly the album was a long way from being finished at the time the tour launched.  The tour was poorly promoted and was titled after an album that didn't even have a tenative release date.  Looking back it was a very bizarre and illogical tour, I was wondering what people thought about it.  The only explanation I can think of is that Axl sensed the band was becoming restless and felt that the tour would somehow appease them as well as give them some paydays for their work on the album.  Any other reasons as to why it even happened?  Generally big time bands only do two types of tours, to promote an album that is about to be released or is release, or reunion types of tours where the band is no longer making albums regularly but still have a large fanbase that will come see them perform.  This tour was neither. 
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:46:32 PM »

After the VMAs Axl said in regards to the release of Chinese Democracy "I wouldn't say soon, but it will come out".? Clearly the album was a long way from being finished at the time the tour launched.? The tour was poorly promoted and was titled after an album that didn't even have a tenative release date.? Looking back it was a very bizarre and illogical tour, I was wondering what people thought about it.? The only explanation I can think of is that Axl sensed the band was becoming restless and felt that the tour would somehow appease them as well as give them some paydays for their work on the album.? Any other reasons as to why it even happened?? Generally big time bands only do two types of tours, to promote an album that is about to be released or is release, or reunion types of tours where the band is no longer making albums regularly but still have a large fanbase that will come see them perform.? This tour was neither.?

I think u make some good points, i do have wondered - he does make it clear the album is a long way off....so why tour? Test the water?

I think the answer must be Axl is just nuts, i have tried to place some logic behind what he does but i'm at a loss.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 04:47:54 PM »

I have ?my thougths but am so tired of saying it..

It was testing the waters/get out of the studio/stretch my legs tour.. A break from the studio so the guys could have a good time and see fan's reactions, & get the word out..

I believe thiongs were supposed to happen afterwards but never panned out..
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 04:48:13 PM »

dunno, i'm sure ppbee or some mods will paste a axl intreview for you where he says the purpose of d tour,
Funny tourtitle though Roll Eyes

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 04:52:54 PM »

dunno, i'm sure ppbee or some mods will paste a axl intreview for you where he says the purpose of d tour,

If Axl did in fact explain the tour I'd like to hear it.  The tour ended disastrously and the band maintains it could have continued but it got shut down by Clear Channel for reasons that have yet to be explained, although one could guess that Axl's no shows at several concerts had a lot to do with the cancellation.
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 05:00:51 PM »

ops, i fucked up Grin

Slowly recapulatin, (did anyone notice that?) Lips Sealed

the modify feature... fun Wink
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 10:21:11 AM by norway » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 05:03:07 PM »

It was testing the waters/get out of the studio/stretch my legs tour.. A break from the studio so the guys could have a good time and see fan's reactions, & get the word out..

bingo...your now making sense

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »

If Axl did in fact explain the tour I'd like to hear it.? The tour ended disastrously and the band maintains it could have continued but it got shut down by Clear Channel for reasons that have yet to be explained, although one could guess that Axl's no shows at several concerts had a lot to do with the cancellation.

I swear to god that I emailed the promoter right after this happened, I was so angry how it ended after loving the msg show .. I never saved the email but the person told me they were canceling their tour buses and hotel reservations before the philly show and were not going to complete the tour.. I'm sure it was just some asshole from cc being stupid or covering their ass..
I have read from tommy that axl had the flu, but he was perfect in sound the night before as I witnessed him at msg up close.. I had read about a party with axl getting turned down do to a not wanting to take his fur coat off.. I've heard he was watching basketball instead of performing.. I have no clue what to believ, but I definetly think there is more to it then a flu, you can't have a riot three weeks earlier to only miss a show again (I know canada wasn't axl's fault but the results is no different) I think even if he was feeling sick he would have canceled the show really early before the fans gathered and became drunk and upset.. SItting through mix master and CKY can do that..

Hopefully one day we'll get the real asnwer, I've even heard (read by fans) that the money contract was in negotiation during the tour..

Regardless it was a huge let down to everyone.. Even if they had to go back adn record a little at least we would have had a tour that was a success.. The whole dealing with it was messy..

I had my doubts later why the vmas would flash "chinese Democracy" in lights during their closing of the show, then sell tons of CD stuff and name the tour CHinese d when they didn't have an album finished ready to go..

It's the past, just he lack of real info since is what is hurting the fans,...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 05:06:05 PM »

bingo...your now making sense

I did it just for you, I have no problems with you I just didn't feel like arguing and figured I'd try your way.. peace
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 05:06:34 PM »

"These shows are important to us and for better or worse we'll be there."

And people say I should have expected a no-show in Philadelphia? ?WTF?

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 05:09:56 PM »

If I'm not mistaken there are still legal matters being sorted out between the band and Clear Channel and neither side is allowed to make public statements about it.? Certainly would be interesting to hear the reason for the tour being cancelled but it appears we'll have to wait.?

I know this is  old news but for some reason earlier today I was just thinking about all of this and it struck me as odd, the whole thing.? Good to hear some others offering their opinion on all of this.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 05:10:20 PM »

WHywould anyone say that?? Axl was in tip top shape at msg, damn I was up close on teh floor, there was no reason for anyone to say that.. The man eve said he needed that, he seemed very at ease and happy.. He looked like he was finally comfortable and ready to kick ass the rest of the tour..

I sympathise to anyone that got screwed on dec 6th regardless of who was at fault
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 05:11:43 PM »

02 radio stuff:
Axl: "So there was a lot of challenges in bringing that together, but now everyone's pretty excited. Everyone got pretty excited doing the little mini-tour, and that brought us together more as an actualy band rather than a studio band, where everyone is kind of working separetely maybe even on the same songs. In little clusters here and there, but it's not the same thing as actualy being a stage and road band.

Ditch: You've really, you've... It sounds like really nurtured relationships with these guys, and the new disc "Chinese Democracy". Umm, do you have any idea when the fruits of those labours will come to harvest?

Axl: Uhh, sometime during the next year." ? ?yes uh NOT hihi

Or better, check the articles on this page, lots of intrestin stuff, I think there is a long audio interview with axl where he talks about this online now on mygnr.com (old 02 interview)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 05:24:04 PM by norway » Logged

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 05:33:54 PM »

I`m sure part of the reason was to get the band out of the studio and be "a band" on stage for a tour and not a 1 show thing.

Also, Axl probrally wanted to let the mainstream know he was still alive and had a new band. Up untill then no one but the hardcore Axl/GNR fans knew what Axl was up to.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 05:37:49 PM »

From the press release:

"These shows are important to us and for better or worse we'll be there. For those who've had my back and are down by us with even a modicum of understanding we hope to give you our best, and look forward to seeing you on this little intro jaunt."

---

Full information on the ?Chinese Democracy? World Tour dates is as follows:

AUGUST
Wednesday 14 ? Hong Kong Exhibition Hall
Saturday 17 - Japan Tokyo Chiba Marine Stadium, Summer Sonic festival
Sunday 18 - Japan Osaka WTC Open-air Stadium, Summer Sonic festival
Friday 23 - England Leeds Festival
Saturday 24 - Belgium Pukkelpop Festival
Monday 26 - England London Docklands Arena

I don't see Philadelphia mentioned there.

For the last time, he was talking about the August tour when he said that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 05:40:02 PM »

I`m sure part of the reason was to get the band out of the studio and be "a band" on stage for a tour and not a 1 show thing.

Also, Axl probrally wanted to let the mainstream know he was still alive and had a new band. Up untill then no one but the hardcore Axl/GNR fans knew what Axl was up to.

I kind of agree, it';s areal shame thought that the album wasn't ready.. How many bands get to close the vmas when making a comeback only to lose that publicity of a lifetime.. I don't think anyone would have ever thought it would have ended up this way, I'm sure all of us thougth during the tour we were going to have something soon..

I have 2 feelings on this matter, one I expressed and share the views of youngguner, ..

The second is why drag out a CHINESE DEMOCRACY TOUR when you have more recording to do.. I would have rather them take the few extra months and finished the album instead of waisting time on the tour.. The p[lanned a release, a video/single and then promoted a bigger tour and did it right when everything was complete..
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »

How many bands get to close the vmas when making a comeback only to lose that publicity of a lifetime..
GNr is not an ordinary band. They have and always will do whatver they wnat and how they want.

The second is why drag out a CHINESE DEMOCRACY TOUR when you have more recording to do...
I agree with some of what you said. I have said a zillion times that the tour was pointless and if they wrere gonna do soemthing like that without an album out just do a quick major city tour.

I would have rather them take the few extra months and finished the album instead of waisting time on the tour.. The p[lanned a release, a video/single and then promoted a bigger tour and did it right when everything was complete.
Your questions are being answered by the bands actions. we agree that the band wanted to get out on tour and just jam. Maybe they decided not to wait because maybe, just maybe, they new it wasnt going to be ready{for whatver reason} for awhile. Have you thought of that yet?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 06:41:17 PM »

Your questions are being answered by the bands actions. we agree that the band wanted to get out on tour and just jam. Maybe they decided not to wait because maybe, just maybe, they new it wasnt going to be ready{for whatver reason} for awhile. Have you thought of that yet?
I have thought about it, I just can't imagine that being they did that tour for cd that it could be so much recording left, something had to have gone wrong..

I know it's gnr and they can do whatever they want with the vmas, but they had to have a plan and some established material near completion, otherwise the whole entire thing was not thought out well, and frankly it was pointless.. All that 2002 vmas,cd tour has been forgotten by the average joe so to me it was a waste for the best interest of the band

The rio 4 statement was march, the band planned on playing lisboa in 2004, they were going to do more recording following the 2002 tour, BUT it ended shortly which should have given them a jump start to get more done..

As for BH's role in this mess who knows the extent of the damage, or how long this was going on, but also shame on axl or whoever monitors these sessions becuase someone should have recognized these problems early and got to the bottom of it.. The tour ended dec 5 2002, rio 4 release was last day or so of march 2004, the thing is what happened for 18 months??
billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 07:25:32 PM »

um, reason for the cancellation?  ticket sales?  many old threads with some estimated numbers said that cc was barely breaking even or even losing money show to show, with the exception of the sell outs.  other artists whos sales are less than half of a venue are often cancelled mid tour, it happens.  the US is clearly not a friendly market to old names.  the UK and the rest of europe and the world thrive on gnr and older bands.  the US is buying more tickets to the latest american idol artist than a proven classic like axl.

Mike
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 07:30:32 PM »

Holy fuck, we are REALLY scrapped for new gnr news Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: