Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:39:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Is it human nature to want more?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it human nature to want more?  (Read 8868 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: August 17, 2005, 06:36:41 PM »

Or are we just taught to think that way?
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 06:49:09 PM »

"There is no such thing as perpetual tranquillity of mind while we live here; because life itself is but motion, and can never be without desire, nor without fear, no more than without sense" Thomas Hobbes.

A clever saying proves nothing ofcourse but i do think humans are constantly striving for more. It would be wrong to think of wanting more as purely being a craving for material possessions (which is certainly taught by society) but all humans will strive to better themeselves as a whole; piece by piece. This may never be achieved, but the want remains. Constant motion.

"he who wants nothing is truely free" confuscius say......
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 06:52:45 PM by 2NaFish » Logged
MikeB
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 11:02:14 PM »

People are just fucking assholes that are self-centered, concieted and materialistic. Too much material crap , they don't stop for one second and care about others. Nature is not cool enough anymore , they rather stay inside their house fuck around with their electronic crap.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 01:22:25 AM »

According to Christianity, we're not supposed want for anything, or however the saying goes. Any many other religions teach the same rule in that regard.

I think it's more in human nature's way to want as much love admiration as possible. People may feel like they're more loved if they have this or that. It just comes down to  everyone wanting to be noticed and appreciated.

MikeB
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:50:13 PM »

According to Christianity, we're not supposed want for anything, or however the saying goes. Any many other religions teach the same rule in that regard.

I think it's more in human nature's way to want as much love admiration as possible. People may feel like they're more loved if they have this or that. It just comes down to everyone wanting to be noticed and appreciated.

I watched a Chris Rock concert on HBO , he said...

"Most people don't know this but it's true, their God is money. Ever wonder why they close ATM machines on sundays? Because churches would be empty. hihi rofl hihi rofl

God bless Chris Rock, beer.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »

"Most people don't know this but it's true, their God is money. Ever wonder why they close ATM machines on sundays? Because churches would be empty. hihi rofl hihi rofl

I guess it's really the end...

ATM's are open around these parts 24/7.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Lisa
You talkin' to me?
Legend

Here Today..Gone To The syndicate

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 06:14:35 PM »

In part I think it is the way you were brought up...you always want to do a bit better then your parents did, have things you never had and provide things for your own children that you never had. Wanting for the sake of wanting is shit but wanting more of what you already got is human nature. I personally strive to be comfortable,provide a good, solid life for my kids with a few comforts we perhaps no not need but if you can afford it, why not? I have been on both sides of 'want' and 'need' and I do not want what I haven't got. Hey, wait a minute...isn't there a song in there somewhere? :hihi:So many people get caught up in "keeping up with the Jones's and to them it means they have security...so, to simply answer the question, I would say 'Yes".

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:37:40 PM »

I think it's more in human nature's way to want as much love admiration as possible. People may feel like they're more loved if they have this or that. It just comes down to everyone wanting to be noticed and appreciated.

actually Chris Rock says thats why they close BANKS not ATMS

The happiest people I think are the ones who appreciate and can be content with what they do have.

Id rather live in a 2 bedroom house, livin paycheck to paycheck with a piece of shit car but be happy, then live in a mansion with millions of dollars and always be miserable.

happiness is what everyone is truly searching for, it is just very few knowexactly how to obtain it.

People dont realize that nice things and having more gets u more attention but if the people only love u or hang around u because of what u got, then its not real or true.

Be content, thats the key, dont be greedy.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 10:15:11 AM »

I've always think that people hate people, cause the more people are spreading the more wars are begining, people hate to share, to help and to think in anybody else except from themselves, if that will change one day? I hope so or else will stick in this world until we destroyed it  no

No man can be my equal
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 10:33:26 AM »

it's not about wanting more in the absloute
it's about wanting more ... than the other person.

Thats why people in groups (religion, political parties, rock band forum ...) are stupid.

if you are wanting more (material, and immaterial) relatively to your own persona and that's it. it's fine. you're almost free (not as free as confuscius ultimate state).

when you start coparing with other people. (country vs. country, company vs. company, you vs. me ...) then you're fucked.

but, western countries have to slow down a little. i mean really slow down.
our standards are so high we are trying to find ways NOT to eat all the food we have. when people somewhere else are desperate to eat some food they don't have.
if we want world peace, we need to want less. we need to put growth on a negative number.
we need to stop with big cars and wanting to be anywhere fast.
it's not about not being rich, or fighting technology (i mean, i make video games - that shows how our needs are so fullfilled, we take time to think about pleasure and fun...)

but in the end don't blame money. money is nothing. cause we're paying products with products, and services with services.

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 12:06:31 PM »

If we didn't want more we would never do anything

If we were content with a cave and a meal every 3 days then humanity would never have progressed

Our desire for more is the sole reason we do anything - u wouln't go to work if u didn't want the money

Our greed is good Smiley

Quick! To the bandwagon!
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 12:47:56 PM »

It's human nature to want more in spite of living in a industrialized country or in a developing country. And to stop the progress, slow down or whatever is totally impossible task for human nature to do. To slow down and to retrograde would increase restlessness, anarchy and poorness. I'd say the world is a better place to live that it was few hundred or thousand years ago. It's just that today the distance between the poorness and richness is very big. it's not more miserable to live for example in Africa today than it was in few hundreds of years ago, in some parts it could be more enjoyable. It's just that now when the distance of poornes and richness is such a high in some parts of world it really throws it back to your face, we are terrifyed to see what we have and they don't. To slow down means same that we could as well start to wait the end of the world. Still one thing what should be done is increase more the count of donations, collections and other help activites towards the developing countries. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 12:50:08 PM »

I've always think that people hate people, cause the more people are spreading the more wars are begining, people hate to share, to help and to think in anybody else except from themselves, if that will change one day? I hope so or else will stick in this world until we destroyed it  no

I think as population grows, so does violence and greed.

Space, and resources become a concern.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 12:51:49 PM »

So much technology is totally useless though, is a cellphone that takes pictures really advancing the human race?  hihi

MikeB
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 01:26:04 PM »

So much technology is totally useless though, is a cellphone that takes pictures really advancing the human race? hihi

no. hihi
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 02:18:04 PM »

If we were content with a cave and a meal every 3 days then humanity would never have progressed

Our desire for more is the sole reason we do anything - u wouln't go to work if u didn't want the money

Our greed is good Smiley
Not really if you want to use it in a selfish way, if you don't want to see anyone grow but yourself and want that the person that is making progress to fail thats where the humanity loose its humanity  Roll Eyes
WTF!? Im so cheesy

No man can be my equal
SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 02:27:59 PM »

If I settled for a normal house in a middle middle class hood as opposed to a bigger house I'd have to carry a note on for another 30 years...does it really make a difference in my life?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 02:47:55 PM »

Our greed is good Smiley

Thats  a Great point Izzy and I agree with that but I think there comes a time where u have to stop being Greedy and start being content with the things u do have.

I mean how much shit does a person need?

Like If my woman has a 4 carat diamond ring, I mean what if she comes to me and wants an 8 carat? u know?

Im more or less talkin bout materialistic type possessions

Its never a bad thing to want to better your station in life but on some things enough is enough.

If u have a 3 story 24 bedroom house bought and paid for, why would u go in debt just to have a 35 bedroom house?

I know a lot of people who try to fill the empty hole inside themselves with material possessions, its either a bigger TV or a nicer car etc etc etc and they never realize that material gains are only a temporary solution.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 03:47:14 PM »

I think there comes a time where u have to stop being Greedy and start being content with the things u do have.

Lol - u always want things

U got out of bed this morning because u wanted something - excercise, food, the opportunity to swipe ur neighbours mail.....

Our ''greed'' is our motivation - we can't function without it. Why do anything if we want nothing out of it! What would be the point of breathing if we didn't want to live?

If u didn't want to be heard u wouldn't be on this site

It's the most important part of our psyche - the need for things more than we currently have, the need for cars, money etc is just one part of it

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 04:31:11 PM »

there is a difference between what we need and what we want...isnt greed the excess of want over need?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: