Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CKY talks about 2002 tour with GNR (article)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CKY talks about 2002 tour with GNR (article)  (Read 2850 times)
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« on: August 11, 2005, 04:34:01 PM »

http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=12108

All the rage
By steve newton

Publish Date: 11-Aug-2005

The last time Philadelphia hard-rockers CKY were set to play Vancouver, they were just minutes from warming up for Guns N? Roses at GM Place on November 7, 2002. Then dedicated shit-disturber Axl Rose pulled his unpopular no-show trick. Glass shattered, batons swung, teeth flew, and local TV crews scored violent evening-news fodder for weeks to come. As CKY guitarist Chad I Ginsburg recalls from an L.A. hotel room, it was a scary experience.

?Five minutes before the show it was like: ?Axl cancelled, he?s not showin? up.? Then the riot just started, and we were like, ?Oh shit!? By the time we were alerted and able to get back on our bus, they [the angry fans] didn?t know whose buses were whose, and they were rioting at our bus as well. I mean, you gotta know that the cheap bus isn?t Guns N? Roses, but they were throwin? bottles and stuff, and our techs were terrified to load the trailer.?

Ginsburg had been warned about Rose?s volatile and unpredictable temperament??Everybody said, ?Stay away from Axl, you?re gonna get yourself thrown off the tour????but the two still became strip club?going companions on the road. The relationship ended abruptly when the tour was halted by another Rose-related riot, this time at a sold-out gig in CKY?s Philly hometown.

?They destroyed everything,? notes Ginsburg, although his casual tone makes it sound like he?s familiar with how hard-core fans react when provoked. And well he should. CKY?which headlines an all-ages show at the Croatian Cultural Centre on Monday (August 15)?boasts an intense following known as the Alliance, a quarter-million-strong group of fans who hang on the band?s every word and defend it to the extreme. When a Rolling Stone reviewer had the gall to slag CKY and give its 2002 CD, Infiltrate-Destroy-Rebuild, a lowly one-star rating, a campaign of terror from the Alliance caused the group to be permanently banned from the glossy pop-culture mag.

?The writer ended up fearing for her life,? explains Ginsburg. ?Not due to any instructions by us, it?s just people take it pretty personally when other people aren?t doin? their jobs. Weird things have happened, like people have gotten pushed in front of buses and nearly killed because of things they?ve said on air or in print about CKY. It?s not necessarily cool, but these kids are sick and tired of people who are half-assed in their jobs.?

Although I make it abundantly clear to the 33-year-old rocker that I really do like CKY?at least from what I?ve heard of the band?s new CD, the Ginsburg-produced An Answer Can Be Found?some of the rage affiliated with his group surges through on the line from L.A. Thankfully, it?s not directed at me. While chatting on his hotel balcony, Ginsburg spots his roadie strolling off down the street.

?Yo, where you jerks goin??? he hollers, not impressed. ?Not you guys?you! Where are you goin?? Where? You?re just gonna split out? Who?s supposed to move the room, me? I fuckin? hired your ass! All right; fuck you. See ya!?

Turns out the ticked-off Ginsburg has to transfer all his belongings to another room, and he?s not getting any help from the guy who normally lugs his guitars and amps around. That dude?s off on a more pressing errand: finding drummer Jess Margera some replacements for his broken cymbals, which, according to Ginsburg, get seriously trashed every night. There?s that aggro element again.

?We?re pretty angry,? admits the guitarist, ?but hopefully it?s got some comedic relief to it all, and some positive potential. As far as what we write about, and what the Alliance gets their strength from, it?s just a simple message of finding your idea of your best and bein? that. They?ve kind of found that message in everything CKY does.?

A righteously pissed-off vibe has always been part of the hard-rock experience, but it?s gotten to the point where, nowadays, four out of five metal acts sport lung-busting, indecipherable screamers instead of actual singers. Ginsburg claims that CKY frontman Deron Miller listens nonstop to death metal, although you can?t tell from Miller?s relatively subdued mike attack. I?m thankful that CKY?s vocal style doesn?t feature the type of incoherent, demonic caterwauling common to half of the bands that record for Victory Records. ?I appreciate that I?m in a band that doesn?t want to do that,? notes Ginsburg, before offering a quick imitation of the jugular-bulging approach: ?You liiieeed!? he bellows. ?Whyyyy?! I criiieeed! I mean, if it ain?t got melody, I?m not really that interested. With every CKY record, within the guitar riffs, there?s so much melody goin? on that sometimes people miss it.?

CKY plays the Croatian Cultural Centre on Monday, August 15.

Chad I Ginsburg sounds off on the things that enquiring minds want to know.

On getting banned from coverage in Rolling Stone magazine:?These big publications love to get in these battles with us ?cause they get a huge amount of attention from our fans. Well, we got banned from Rolling Stone for life, which means we?re banned from them talkin? crap on us. Big fuckin? deal! We got banned from Kerrang! too.?

On ?breaking his ass? in Chicago:?I was just tryin? to talk to some fans who were far away from me, and I tried scaling the side of a wall, and fell about 30 feet. Enough feet to be able to go, ?I?m falling! Noooo!?? I positioned myself well enough to land on my ass, but shittin? was no fun after that.?

On the music he listens to in his spare time:?My time is never spare, but I listen to Ween. And I?ve always been a big fan of [notorious underground freak-rocker] G.G. Allin. I reunited his old band, the Murder Junkies, got them back together. I don?t know if he ever made it to Vancouver, but that?s something that can?t really be matched or topped, and I hope nobody ever tries.?

On whether his band?s riff-based music would be classified as stoner rock:?It?s just CKY. I don?t even know what stoner rock is. I guess you gotta get stoned? From what I hear about Vancouver, maybe that night will be stoner rock.?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 04:37:55 PM by DunkinDave » Logged
Evolution
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 09:26:24 PM »

Cool, thanks for posting DunkinDave. I wish GNR/CKY would tour once more, my 2 favourite bands in the same night would be the best gig i'd ever see
jnn
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 12:33:53 AM »

It's cool that the CKY guys always have good things to say about Axl.  That guy Chad especially seems to like Axl a lot from the time they spent together on tour.  I've seen a bunch of interviews and heard him on the radio a few times and whenever someone tries to make a joke out of Axl he just says what a cool guy he was.  I remember during the tour when it was first starting one of the other guys in the band was saying how Axl really liked Chad's attitude.  Maybe Axl thought he could relate to him after Chad dove in the crowd to fight some fan early in the tour.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:31:59 PM »

look i was at the philly no show.it wasn't pretty.

the one an only horsey !
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 12:49:45 AM »

I'm sadly realizing that Axl needs to grow up.... at least in 2002

@;---,----.--.-,-.-,-.,-------- TPR

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 01:29:16 AM »

I`d love to go to a strip joint with Axl. Lucky guy.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 01:18:16 PM »

CKY always seem ta have 1 star ratings Lips Sealed

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 08:04:31 PM »

they sucked live at msg but i went out and bought their infiltrate destroy album and its pretty good.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 11:00:10 PM »

I'm sadly realizing that Axl needs to grow up.... at least in 2002                   

Maybe then his next car outta be a delorean?

Evolution
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 11:13:53 PM »

True but that is one opinion. by a cd for youself and get your own opinion
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 11:16:06 PM »

Good one, Saul.

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 07:35:52 PM »

I'm sadly realizing that Axl needs to grow up.... at least in 2002? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Maybe then his next car outta be a delorean?

man, he still acts like 10 years ago...

@;----.,---,.--,----------- TPR
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 01:39:05 AM »

I dont mined CKY, some songs a think kick arse n' some i think r' pretty slack but i like their sound heaps...hows that opinion Tongue

N' im sayin' i've seen the 1 star rating more then once, ok  ok
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 01:41:01 AM by ClintroN - NIN BOUND » Logged

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Groovie In VT
Rocker

You know where you are? Your on the fucking Intern

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 09:14:45 AM »

I heard on Sirius radio last week that the guys from CKY ( at least a couple of them) had went out with Axl after a show to a strip club and when they got there the girls noticed Axl. So they were trying to flirt with him and hit on him and everything was going great til one girl had the DJ play November Rain and started to shake her ass for Axl and was doing her damndest to get his attention. I guess he was embarassed by the whole thing and would never look up at her. He left the club shortly after that.

The guy from CKY said that Axl is a bit odd, but mostly his problem is he is shy and only wants the attention when he can control it and if he gets people flaunting over him in public it makes him nervous and uncomfertable.

Was a decent interview and I was lucky to have heard it as I don't know if Sirius actually schedules these things or the bands just happen by the studios ( Bam has a show on Sirius so they could have been visiting him)

Groovie In VT....... and don't you forget it!!
Evolution
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 07:45:07 AM »

I dont mined CKY, some songs a think kick arse n' some i think r' pretty slack but i like their sound heaps...hows that opinion Tongue

N' im sayin' i've seen the 1 star rating more then once, ok? ok

thats cool beer try the new album ok
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: