Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 07:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  the ideal gn'r comeback situation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: the ideal gn'r comeback situation  (Read 8800 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 05:13:20 PM »

The "ideal" GN'R come back will be when Slash comes back.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2005, 05:35:48 PM »

the ideal is they come back as they are,

when Slash comes back.

nesquick, Never heard of VR? your ideal is there. ok
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2005, 06:48:26 PM »

The "ideal" GN'R come back will be when Slash comes back.

That is what I want too... but you must add,  Duff, Matt, Izzy to the band....

Only 6 guys rock n rolling.....       

@;----.,---,.--,----------- TPR
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 02:47:27 AM »

Rob, sounds like a plan. I've always wanted a proper followup to Use Your Illusion, and Chinese Democracy isn't it.

We'll get it one day.  That one post you had in another thread about Slash, Duff, Matt, and Izzy writing some really kickass songs together that they are saving in case they ever get back with Axl, stuff like that gets me so psyched that if Axl ever gets back with them we're gonna get one helluva album.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Miss-Aussie
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Set U Free

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 03:01:27 AM »

I think CD is going to take the world by storm.... I just hope it comes out soon, im itching to hear it..

but yeah they are going to have a wicked come back.

Live it, Love it, Cherish it, for Rock And Roll is the key to life
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 05:12:20 PM »

Rob, I hope you're right. Before these guys are too old, I hope the Illusion era band gets back together and accomplishes what should have been done in 1994. It still boggles the mind that they never did a followup to Illusions. Its a big stain on the band's legacy. With the grunge explosion of 1991-94, GNR couldn't do anything to counterract it. Pretty fucking sad. They were the only band with the power to kill it, and all they could come up with was a cover album? Every member of GNR is lucky their careers weren't flushed down the toilet.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 05:35:41 PM »

Rob, I hope you're right. Before these guys are too old, I hope the Illusion era band gets back together and accomplishes what should have been done in 1994. It still boggles the mind that they never did a followup to Illusions. Its a big stain on the band's legacy. With the grunge explosion of 1991-94, GNR couldn't do anything to counterract it. Pretty fucking sad. They were the only band with the power to kill it, and all they could come up with was a cover album? Every member of GNR is lucky their careers weren't flushed down the toilet.

they didnt need to "kill it". It was a great era of music. If anything, the market would have determined they embrace it which they clearly didnt.
And every member of GNR's career did go down the toilet IMO. Slash, Duff and Matt have obviously revitalised their stock after a nigh on 10 year lull, but Axls wont be out of the toilet until CD proves to be the masterpiece that its been touted as

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 05:55:15 PM »

Jimmy, I'm not saying everything in grunge sucked. Soundgarden was the best band during that movement, but I dont consider them grunge. That movement needed to be destroyed. It completely changed the scene with mediocre music, and caused rich kids to start shopping at thrift stores for flannel shirts. It was pathetic. This was when MTV noticed that they could easily sway pop culture in the direction they wanted. They started shoving low morality down everyone's throats, and right after the "success" of grunge, MTV started shoving hip hop gang banger shit down everyone's throats, and society still hasn't recovered. A monstrous GNR album in 1994 might have completely altered the musical landscape, and music wouldn't be in the toilet like it has been for the past 10 years. For some reason, people dont seem to link the absence of GNR with the downfall in quality of music, and the trends that downfall created.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 06:10:26 PM »

I agree - I never really liked the grunge movement, it was ok 1 year or 2 but finally that was it because it was poor musically - for exemple, Nirvana didn't have the talent to write a song like "November rain" , "Estranged" or "Coma". They weren't enough talented for that, they were far too limited. I don't even think Kurt Cobain had enough talent to play 1/10? of Slash guitar solos. Nirvana wasn't that great, compare to GN'R, U2 and Queen, Nirvana were really less talented.? The only "grunge" band that I respect is Pearl Jam, but I don't even call them a grunge band, they moved on very quickly and didn't stay in grunge music.

Be posive and optimistic, for 2 years, rock has been back, Rock just needs another  BREAKTRHOUGH record, a worldwide Rock phenomenon record, only GN'R (because of the name) can do that: Chinese Democracy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 06:37:41 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 06:51:55 PM »

I agree - I never really liked the grunge movement, it was ok 1 year or 2 but finally that was it because it was poor musically - for exemple, Nirvana didn't have the talent to write a song like "November rain" , "Estranged" or "Coma". They weren't enough talented for that, they were far too limited. I don't even think Kurt Cobain had enough talent to play 1/10? of Slash guitar solos. Nirvana wasn't that great, compare to GN'R, U2 and Queen, Nirvana were really less talented.? The only "grunge" band that I respect is Pearl Jam, but I don't even call them a grunge band, they moved on very quickly and didn't stay in grunge music.

Be posive and optimistic, for 2 years, rock has been back, Rock just needs another? BREAKTRHOUGH record, a worldwide Rock phenomenon record, only GN'R (because of the name) can do that: Chinese Democracy.

the point of Nirvana was never to write epics like Estranged etc.. they were essentially a different genre, closer to punk than to GNRs bombastic rock (UYI era)
do you want Snoop Dogg to write a song like Estranged? No, let him stick to rapping please

And regarding Kurt not playing 1/10th of Slashs solos? No, he was nowhere nere as technically skilled a guitar player as Slash. That wasnt the point, he played and wrote with soul and feeling (much like Slash in that sense). As we've discussed countless times before, technical ability/profiency doesnt automatically equate to good music. Countless times you've stated you prefer Slash's more basic soulful approach to Bucketheads shredding. This illustrates exactly what Im trying to say

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2005, 07:23:27 PM »

Before these guys are too old, I hope the Illusion era band gets back together and accomplishes what should have been done in 1994.

So umm , now you want the old band back and not the new band?  Huh

A change of opinion starts now!!

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »

Saul, its not a change of opinion. I want Chinese Democracy just as much as everyone else. I really hope Axl succeeds on his own terms, and can prove he could do it without the old members. I meant they should do it after CD has run its course.

phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 07:32:50 PM »

The thing about grunge and nirvana is that it was an outlet for teenage kids to let off some steam and anger, while gnr and the illusions were a little bit sappy in comparison, kids wanna "rock out with their cock out" and axl and the band seems to have let the fire in their hearts die (maybe due to $?), compare appetite and lies to the illusions, the raw energy was missing.
dont get me wrong, there were/are some good/great songs on the illusions but unless you were a fan, the lesser filler songs dont count for shit.

Axl is a great talented frontman, he was in a great band with an awesome- talented guitar player names Slash.
why axl felt the need to destroy the band is anyones guess, but he went in the wrong direction.

As much as the axl fans want axl to release his effort and have it succeed is great, im all for it, but he really shouldnt be calling it GNR and deep down you know it too.

At least VR is out there doing something and producing decent/good music so we have that to enjoy and look forward to the next record by VR which will probably be out before axl gets his self together.

-------and time goes by-------
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2005, 08:00:12 PM »

It's like this .... say if it 'were' to actually happen , a reunion ... 1st off it would take a significant amount of time for all of the old members to work out what problems they have. Obviously Duff , Slash , matt and it looks like Izzy are on the same page but getting Axl to to agree with and enjoy being around and touring with these guys and vice versa for them towards axl would be a huge hurdle.

Secondly , when could this happen?! Right the now the old members are in a very good band , writing and touring and preparing to release a second album and promote the hell out of that. This was slash and duffs second chance .. do they throw all that away just to take a HUGE risk of a reunion tour (oh geez , you guys are actually talking bout writing and recording an album!) with Axl?

Third , do you expect axl to scrap all the work he's put into the new album(s) and the new band? By the time he releases , promotes , puts out every single thats on and tours behind chinese democracy and then say he wants to release the other album(s) he says are allready written you can fast forward atleast 5-10 years.

I just dont see how a GNR reunion is possible unless all those guys just scrap everything they think is important in their lives right now. I think it's impossible and I wish the "fans" would get over it allready and embrace and enjoy what we have.

spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 08:12:22 PM »

i completely agree.
the original gn'r had its time
it's over now, time to move on... it's been over a long time.
"up my ass that's where slash is..."
axl's doing what he wants to do, and so are the rest of the guys
you can't expect people to do certain things just to make other people happy
especially when they're artists (err, axl is anyway)
really now,
personally i love the new band.. (liked it more when buckethead was around but still...)
and i think slash and duff and all of them were holding axl back from what he really wanted to do and experiment with..
anyone who thinks they're going to reunite and record another album is dreaming..
i love slash and the original band as much as anyone
but at least it ended before it could become stale and repetitive, and redundant
and at least now, while we do have gn'r still, and for that we are very lucky, it's something new and different.  with new artists involved and with new things to offer.
if the original gn'r's last album was an album of covers, how cohesive and creatively stimulated by each other could they really have been...

robots.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2005, 08:22:40 PM »

Saul and spacebrain, you're both right. I know a reunion is very unlikely. But it would be a good final chapter to GNR.

Dust N Rose
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 03:29:15 PM »

Saul and spacebrain, you're both right. I know a reunion is very unlikely. But it would be a good final chapter to GNR.

A reunion now is inane. Axl's efforts would be waisted and the credits would go to others as well (not officially but many people would not know that), and that would't be fair, right?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 04:55:58 PM »

I didn't mean a reunion should happen right now. That would be Axl's worst decision yet. If a reunion happened before Chinese Democracy, it would prove Izzy was the main talent in the band, and destroy Axl's legacy. Obviously, Axl isn't gonna let that happen.

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 05:06:28 PM »

and i think slash and duff and all of them were holding axl back from what he really wanted to do and experiment with..

Yeah, all those albums and tours with the old band were holding Axl back from being able to voice characters in video games.  You people make me laugh.  We should be happy with what we have?  What exactly do we have?  One dissapointment of a band that completely wasted their talent on their first album, and another group of jobbers headed by Axl that haven't done jack shit.  You'd take that over the greatest band of all-time...which is what GN'R was in their heyday.  If the real GN'R got back together I would forget about CD in a matter of seconds, and so would all of you.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »

Rob, I agree with what you just said. But CD has to come out for there to be any chance of a reunion. No CD and a reunion proves Axl was not the major talent behind GNR. It was Izzy. CD and a reunion, lets say 2 years after CD, would prove that Axl has his own talent and is capable of succeeding on his own. Every former member of GNR has done something with their career, besides Axl. Without CD, he is a joke not only to his fans, the media and himself, but also to his ex band members. No CD, no reunion.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: