Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What kind of precautions will Axl take to prevent Piracy????
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What kind of precautions will Axl take to prevent Piracy????  (Read 8702 times)
MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« on: July 20, 2005, 07:54:29 PM »

? Yo everyone,
? ? I've been thinking about what kind of precautions Axl will take to prevent "CD" from being stolen and downloaded early.

I read an article where Linkin Park detailed the severe precautions they went through to prevent piracy. This included hiring a huge guy to carry around all of their recordings for "Meteora" in a briefcase and that the guy was? instructed to "tazer" anyone trying to steal the brifecase. They weren't fuckin' kiddin'.?
 The ended up selling 4 million in the U.S. and another 10 worldwide,matching their debut,"Hybrid Theory."

I remember back in April of '02 when Korn's guitarist,Munky,had his laptop hacked into and all of the songs that were on it for their then new album "Untouchables",were stolen and released online a full 2 MONTHS before the album was do to come out.

I heard practically the entire album on "Opie and Anthony". They were naming song titles and jokin around saying,"Hey! Let's play another one!!" I was kinda pissed that it was released so early but,I sure as shit didn't turn off the radio either! I was hearing new Korn 2 months early!!

When it finally came out,several song titles were changed from the names that had been said earlier in April.

They didn't bother to "rush" the album to stores either. Well,the album came out in June of '02 and opened at number 2.....100,000 cds behind...........Eminem.

I guarantee you that the hacking/no rush to release screwed them royally.? And out of royalties. (Pun intended.)
They would have definitely debuted at # 1 if they went into rush mode or had the laptop not been hacked.

?
 Can you even imagine how apeshit Axl would go if CD is pirated early,resulting in lackluster sales?Huh We're talkin' nuclear apocalypse rage here!!!

?Who among us would be able to control themselves and NOT listen to new GNR if it was released everywhere??? NOT ONE PERSON.? NOT ONE.

Would we still buy it when it came out? Yeah,WE would. ALL of us will.

Understand,though,a LOT of other people wouldn't. Be it the casual fan,kids with no money but a lot of free time,people who are curious but not willing to pay for it,etc.

So far,it seems as though he is keeping it pretty under raps. Even with IRS being "leaked". I think that was him anyway.
 I know it will debut at number one,as long as it is kept hush-hush and it is promoted well with a great single.

? Now,let's have it AXL!!!

? ? ?GNR FOREVER!!

? ? ? ? ? MATT
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 08:21:09 PM »

I think he will buy the internet , then turn it off.  ok

The big garbage can is full .. time to empty the thrash.  rofl

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 08:35:22 PM »

New idea....Hack Axls computer!!! But seriously i dont know what Axl will do once record executives get ahold of it. He could try the Lincoln Park strategy perhaps. But once its in store Chinese Democracy is vulnerable to piracy just like any record. Im guessing that it will be a popular item on the internet.

Oasis, Dont Believe the Truth was also available online at CD quality almost 5 weeks before in stores.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 08:40:12 PM »

Velvet Revolvers' record wasnt posted online until a few days before release. Even then it was tracks recorded at low quality off a radio station. VR did well to prevent it from leaking. Some people say it was leaked on torrent 3 weeks before release, but noone said that on message boards, and i never saw Contraband on the torrent sites i visited.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »

Velvet Revolvers' record wasnt posted online until a few days before release. Even then it was tracks recorded at low quality off a radio station. VR did well to prevent it from leaking. Some people say it was leaked on torrent 3 weeks before release, but noone said that on message boards, and i never saw Contraband on the torrent sites i visited.

meh , but thats velvet revolver.  hihi

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 08:48:02 PM »

I am sure he will take some sort of precaution but nowadays you never know who will uploading tracks if they have access to it.  Hopefully it won't get to the internet.  If it's officially scheduled to come out, I want to hear it in my CD player for the first time, not on here.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 10:21:13 PM »

A computer killing virus will be encrypted in each track. If he got the rest of the band to not release any info on what the hell is going on I wouldn`t put it past him.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Chief
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 12:47:44 AM »

for an example, i know that metallica's last one wasn't leaked until 3-4 days before the release date , so they are getting better preventing these things.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 01:46:26 AM »

Release it worldwide on the same date... Most people get the songs off the net when the album is not available locally...  no

Fuck 'Em All.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 02:12:44 AM »

That's bullshit. If it had been leaked on torrents 3 weeks before it's release, it would have been posted as mp3's 2 weeks before it's release.

The thing is that BMG did a good work in keeping the album in the right hands. I got the album 10 days before it's release straight from BMG. Couldn't find it anywhere else.

I'm pretty sure that lots will jump on to say they had the album 3 weeks before it's release, but I simply don't believe them.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 02:19:46 AM »

They can only do so much and it can be spun as a positive or selling point in some cases

Announce a bogus release date farther down the line than you actually anticipate releasing it.
Leak it in low quality 3 weeks before announced release date. Push foward the release 2 weeks (which was the actual planned release date anyways) and then hype the pushing forward as "the album the world couldnt wait for" etc.. and create a feeling of hysteria surrounding the release? I think Eminem did something similar a few years ago to great effect

Peoples thoughts on this idea?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
RichardNixon
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 02:26:55 AM »

I don't think it will ever come out.
gnr54
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 04:56:51 AM »

a leak will be our only chance to hear CD.sad but true no
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 06:00:20 AM »

he will send lawyers everywhere in the world

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Dust N Rose
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 09:50:57 AM »

Who among us would be able to control themselves and NOT listen to new GNR if it was released everywhere??? NOT ONE PERSON.? NOT ONE.

Wrong my friend! I would resist like I've done with IRS ok
Do you people think that it's the same going to buy the original C.D. instead of listening to some low quality mp3s?
I have an advice, if it leakes, you should resist (besides if it leaks it will surely come out anyway) in order to prevent piracy.
Why do I say that? Because it is us the hardcore fans that will find out first about the leak and unfortunately we will be the responsibles for the leak and the buzz. If it leaks from us, it will be pandemic spreaded like a desease. Personally I don't want low sales for Chinese Democracy.
Just my opinion  peace
Dust N Rose
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 09:53:16 AM »

By the way, I don't want any crap protection stuff like Maiden had on their last album.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 12:55:51 PM »

If there was a release date set, and the CD did leak, I wouldn't listen to it.  I'm kinda old-school in which I don't download music.  I like having the CD in my hands. 

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 04:55:32 PM »

Not releasing the album and keeping it locked up in a vault next to his coke.  That should protect this "album".  If there is one...
elmir
VIP

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 04:37:23 AM »

Keep it all on tape, those old big tapes, ones where there's only two machines in the whole world which can play them, and you have them both.

Then record onto a cd, release, and a week later launch it through itunes.

Internet piracy cannot be stopped, just minimised, so make cash out of it while you can.

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »

The album, if it ever makes it out of the 'final stages', will leak. Thats a fact. All it would take is one guy at the pressing plant pocketing a cd as it comes off the line. Pressing Plants toss tons of perfectly playable cd's because of things like misprinted artwork. They go into the trash bin, guy walks by, pockets one, and voila! Instant pre-release to leak online. There are plenty of other points in the process where things are out of Axl's control that could be taken advantage of.

So unless Axl has a secret pressing plant that he built himself staffed with employees that are completely under his control I don't think he has much chance of stopping anything.

Unless of course he's burning them himself on his computer, and thats what is taking so long.  hihi
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: