Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charlie And The Chocolate Factory  (Read 14611 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2005, 02:45:27 PM »

I do see entertainment as sufficient.  When I pay my money to go watch a movie, if I'm entertained, then I've got my money's worth.  That's entirely the point of watching a movie, to me, entertainment.  I don't look to movies to change the world, or keep me informed, or tell me what my morals should be. I see just as much value in a move like Saving Private Ryan and American Pie.  If they are entertaining, then they did their job.  Not everything has to have a message to be valuable.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a good movie, it is entertaining and fun.  Who cares if a movie based on the same book has already been made?  Do you know how many different versions of Pride and Prejudice have been made?  I think its about 8 now.  Yet there's another one on the way, and no one is crying about that. 

And if someone wants to remake Star Wars in 4 years, fine with me.   I might even watch it.  If its crap, it won't make money. 

well, i can see why the industry is like that , if people think like you.
im not saying you're stupid. im saying you accept what makes the studios life easier and less risky.

you see entertainment sufficient ?
well take the Seven Samurai, this movie is both entertaining and smart and beautiful.
take THE TASTE OF TEA (2004) this movie is both beautiful, touching, funny, and innovative ....

and when you watch these movies you find CACF and saving private ryan very very very boring ...

until people say " we want something new",   " we're gonna watch mr. and mrs. smith" ... until then the industry will keep fuckin us in the ass with their easy movies.

but hey, thats just me.
i think it's sad, cause im so disapointed in movies now ... because we have all these great movies in mind.

just like if you're served a meal you like for ever, woudlnt you get sick of it ?
thats what's happening, you're being served pasta bolognese for 20 years, and you like it, but it's been the same meal Smiley

ehe Grin

Rain
VIP

ai-ki-do is the path

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2005, 04:21:43 AM »

I do see entertainment as sufficient.? When I pay my money to go watch a movie, if I'm entertained, then I've got my money's worth.? That's entirely the point of watching a movie, to me, entertainment.? I don't look to movies to change the world, or keep me informed, or tell me what my morals should be. I see just as much value in a move like Saving Private Ryan and American Pie.? If they are entertaining, then they did their job.? Not everything has to have a message to be valuable.? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a good movie, it is entertaining and fun.? Who cares if a movie based on the same book has already been made?? Do you know how many different versions of Pride and Prejudice have been made?? I think its about 8 now.? Yet there's another one on the way, and no one is crying about that.?

And if someone wants to remake Star Wars in 4 years, fine with me.? ?I might even watch it.? If its crap, it won't make money.?

im not saying you're stupid. im saying you accept what makes the studios life easier and less risky.

well take the Seven Samurai, this movie is both entertaining and smart and beautiful.
take THE TASTE OF TEA (2004) this movie is both beautiful, touching, funny, and innovative ....

and when you watch these movies you find CACF and saving private ryan very very very boring ...

until people say " we want something new",? ?" we're gonna watch mr. and mrs. smith" ... until then the industry will keep fuckin us in the ass with their easy movies.

but hey, thats just me.
i think it's sad, cause im so disapointed in movies now ... because we have all these great movies in mind.

just like if you're served a meal you like for ever, woudlnt you get sick of it ?
thats what's happening, you're being served pasta bolognese for 20 years, and you like it, but it's been the same meal Smiley

ehe Grin

The matter is you have a primary statement : " you don't see the point in adapting something that was already adapted" and you won't bulge from there whatever we can say. Sorry but for me it's completely the other way around ! I see re-adaptations as not being a copy of what has already been made but as a liberty of the author/director/actor to do something fresh and new with it.
And if I go further I would say that every book that is written, every movie that is made (in hollywood or not) is a remake of something that has already been written ... you can find fundamental myth in everything ...
We can say so for the first Star Wars trilogy you're so fond of. We can say that for every single movie that coming out there.
By the way and interestingly I've read one of your post in GNRFRANCE not so long ago in which you were eager to see the new King Kong movie... Is that not a re-adaptation of a 1933 movie and 1976 movie ? It will be the third one ... Grin

The force ... the force ...
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2005, 06:21:45 AM »

I do see entertainment as sufficient.? When I pay my money to go watch a movie, if I'm entertained, then I've got my money's worth.? That's entirely the point of watching a movie, to me, entertainment.? I don't look to movies to change the world, or keep me informed, or tell me what my morals should be. I see just as much value in a move like Saving Private Ryan and American Pie.? If they are entertaining, then they did their job.? Not everything has to have a message to be valuable.? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a good movie, it is entertaining and fun.? Who cares if a movie based on the same book has already been made?? Do you know how many different versions of Pride and Prejudice have been made?? I think its about 8 now.? Yet there's another one on the way, and no one is crying about that.?

And if someone wants to remake Star Wars in 4 years, fine with me.? ?I might even watch it.? If its crap, it won't make money.?

until people say " we want something new",? ?" we're gonna watch mr. and mrs. smith" ... until then the industry will keep fuckin us in the ass with their easy movies.

but hey, thats just me.

ehe Grin

The matter is you have a primary statement : " you don't see the point in adapting something that was already adapted" and you won't bulge from there whatever we can say. Sorry but for me it's completely the other way around ! I see re-adaptations as not being a copy of what has already been made but as a liberty of the author/director/actor to do something fresh and new with it.
And if I go further I would say that every book that is written, every movie that is made (in hollywood or not) is a remake of something that has already been written ... you can find fundamental myth in everything ...
We can say so for the first Star Wars trilogy you're so fond of. We can say that for every single movie that coming out there.
By the way and interestingly I've read one of your post in GNRFRANCE not so long ago in which you were eager to see the new King Kong movie... Is that not a re-adaptation of a 1933 movie and 1976 movie ? It will be the third one ... Grin

im eager to see the movie cause i'm working on the game. that's it. and i wanna see if we will be close enough to the movie and the feel - even if i saw most of the movie (not in order or finished ...)

as i said:
" cause if you think like that, then GUNS N ROSES should just do covers of the rolling stones , and we'll get 30 Sympathy for the Devil, oh sure it will be good (as burton's CACF is good) but would you be happy ?
or maybe you'd like a new song.
"

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2005, 08:16:38 AM »

im eager to see the movie cause i'm working on the game. that's it. and i wanna see if we will be close enough to the movie and the feel - even if i saw most of the movie (not in order or finished ...)

/* Lil' part in French:

Tu te la p?tes trop c'est de la folie! Grin "Ouais ouais j'ai vu les rushes du film. Oui, exact, je bosse sur un kit de d?veloppement 360 et PS3, oh la routine. Johnny Depp et Tim Burton? Des bons potes, oui, exact! On se fait un brunch dimanche vers 14h30 du mat? Je vous offre le mojito et le mimosa!" Grin

Sorry about that lol */

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2005, 08:34:54 AM »

He is...

hihi

PS/ WHATEVER, don't take it bad it's a joke.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2005, 08:46:07 AM »

/* Lil' part in French:

Tu te la p?tes trop c'est de la folie! Grin "Ouais ouais j'ai vu les rushes du film. Oui, exact, je bosse sur un kit de d?veloppement 360 et PS3, oh la routine. Johnny Depp et Tim Burton? Des bons potes, oui, exact! On se fait un brunch dimanche vers 14h30 du mat? Je vous offre le mojito et le mimosa!" Grin

Sorry about that lol */

/* sorry too
roooo lalala .... je me la pete pas du tout !!!! j'?tais sur que ca all? ?tre mal pris ..... je me la p?te pas. je le jure sur la t?te de johnny depp !
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
*/

GRRRR!!!
I TAKE IT BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*taking it bad smiley*

peace

Sterlingdog
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2005, 08:18:11 PM »

but hey, thats just me.

ehe Grin

I won't say you are stupid either, but...

I will say you sound like a young person who has grown up in a college town.  I won't say the word pretentious, but...

My reality is that I work an incredibly high stress job.  I'm not a doctor or anything, but I'm responsible for the well being of alot of people.  I'm on call 24 hours a day, 7days a week.  I make major decisions all day long and when things go wrong, I'm responsible for fixing them.  So yes, sometimes, I just want to be entertained.  I want to curl up on my couch with a glass of wine and watch Zoolander and laugh my ass off.  Or I go to the theater and escape into a different reality for awhile.  That's what movies are to me.  I don't need to prove I'm smart by watching some independent intellectual piece of crap that no one understands, but say they love for fear of looking stupid.  I know I'm smart.   And I've seen very few independent films that didn't suck.  But at least I'm willing to watch with an open mind and decide for myself.  When I hear a lot of good things about a movie, I often check it out.  Maybe I like it and maybe I don't.  But at least I'm not afraid to see.  And by the way, new and original doesn't necessarily mean good and quality. 

Didn't you make a comment in the last film thread about Napolean Dynamite, something along the lines of it was good, but too bad its becoming trendy with teens in America?  Does something being popular make it any less valuable?  Don't be so afraid to like the same things that others like.  Being different doesn't prove you are smart either.

As far as charlie and the chocolate factory...what about people who didn't like the first movie, like Tim Burton?  I myself found it kind of boring as a child.  Isn't there a reason to make a movie if the filmmaker feels he could do it better? 
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2005, 07:03:01 PM »

well sterling, my favorite movie of all time is the first star wars movies so .... not indie i would say.
i want a vote for pedro teeshirt even if it's trendy in the us (well it's not in france, so tahts ok Smiley )

i totally get your point about "entertainement".
my point was that the pseudo-intelectual flicks, that people are afraid to see because they are in black and white and propose no big explosion or sex jokes ... ARE actually very entertaining.

for example, the Seven Samurai bu kurosawa, is 100 times for entertaining than any big action blockbuster. but people sometime refuse to watch it.
if i forced a 14 years old who swears by the matrix and all that shit, if i forced him to watch Seven Samurai he would enjoy the 3 hours like he never enjoyed a movie.

i am saying, you can find the same "i wanna relax",  " i just want entertainment" in a LOT of *indie* movies ...

Taste of Tea would enlight your day. would bring hapiness and smile at the end of your stressful day.

and i'm like you, open minded. i watch all the crap.
i love mainstream stuff, i love will ferrel and zoolander.
i even downloaded Mr and Mrs smith. but it's sad.

and i'm not smart, i'm actually very dumb. im just arrogant  Grin
it's just that, if a stupid fuckin asshole like me can sit through Ozu's 1940s black and white movies and appreciate why can't everybody ?
i sometimes have a feeling that the industry don't want people to watch these masterpieces cause they're afraid the audience would understand how shitty is the production these days.

http://www.ozuyasujiro.com/ <<< this guy was born in 1903 !  1903 ! and he had more talent in his eyelashes than spielberg and burton together.

about new/innovation/creation problem in the movie industry right now. first it's obvious.
then i dont wanna shoot at tim burton because it's tim burton. CACF is just and example of what's going on.
i know that burton is not the average dumb director that follows what hollywood says. but it's there. he did that movie. and it's just a good example of whats going on ...

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2005, 09:14:54 PM »

I love movies of all genres

I like the intellectual dialogue driven movies but I also love a good raunchy comedy, I love a nice action movie.

Everything doesnt have to be intellectual and life changing, sometimes I just want to laugh and be entertained.

Depp has appeared in 26 movies and he has been a normal non eccentric guy in 10 of them

So thats a great ratio

16 eccentric characters  10 regular guys

thats better than people who have been in 30 movies and have been normal in all 30.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Lisa
You talkin' to me?
Legend

Here Today..Gone To The syndicate

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2005, 09:43:46 PM »

well said D! just thought I'd let you know you made sense yet again! ;)all I could think of was  "ME TOO!"

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2005, 10:46:16 PM »

What the hell is with everyone talking about someone "remaking Star Wars"?  It already happened! By the man himself!  Greedo shooting first, anyone?
Sterlingdog
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2005, 08:33:23 PM »

for example, the Seven Samurai bu kurosawa, is 100 times for entertaining than any big action blockbuster. but people sometime refuse to watch it.

and i'm like you, open minded. i watch all the crap.

How are you any better, or more open minded, than a person who would refuse to watch Seven Samurai?  You are refusing to watch CACF, no matter how many people tell you its great.  You refuse to accept that it might be great, or worthwhile.  So it sure seems to me that you are like the people you are blasting for refusing to watch any particular type of movie.  You just think you have a better reason for your stubbornness.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »

Seven Samurai is an excellent movie but by todays standards it wouldnt be very popular because it spends a very long time developing the story and the characters. Not exactly a recipe for success in todays Hollywood.

I did see CACF this weekend and enjoyed it alot. The back story was a bit much, but I always like to see Christopher Lee pop up so it wasnt all bad. I'm not going to pass it off as the greatest thing ever, but I thought Burton did a better job at showing how rotten the other 4 kids were. It's been awhile since I read the book but this movie reminded me of alot of things that were completely eliminated from the original film.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2005, 04:26:25 PM »

Just saw CATCF

Depp was superb

But the film was....well, naff

Nothing was developed properly. The characters where so 2-d, we're supposed to hate them because they are...fat? rich? dedicated?

The whole film could have been far weirder and funnier - kinda feels as if they had the ideas but where afriad to go all the way.

Wonker wasn't mad enough, and the 'tour' seemed almost incidental. His childhood really wasn't....intresting enough, his dad disapproved of chocolate - omg, what a tramatic upbringing!

I found it really frustrating - they could have done so much more, there were so many lines the film was just crying out for - but never occured.

Nothing really seemed to happen....

plot holes - his dad didn't recognise a guy he had (recent) photo's of in his scrap book confused

The ending was just....well, lazy

Not impressed, take out Depp and this wouldn't merit a one, as it is i'd give it 5/10 with all 5 points going to Depp's acting ability

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2005, 09:19:53 PM »

Nothing was developed properly. The characters where so 2-d, we're supposed to hate them because they are...fat? rich? dedicated?

The parents' characters bugged me more than the kids.  I take it we were supposed to fault the parents for bringing up their children to be super-fat, super-rich, super-competitive, etc.  But the parents themselves were so passive and wussy in spite of witnessing their children being turned into blueberries, or chucked down a giant hole! 

The whole film could have been far weirder and funnier - kinda feels as if they had the ideas but where afriad to go all the way.

I agree.  I remember reading The BFG, Fantastic Mr Fox, and Witches as a kid, and they all had that creepy/funny/weird element to them.  If I remember correctly, the little boy in Witches is turned into a rat and remains that way!    Depp definitely picked up on that feeling though.  He hit all the right notes.

One thing that had me laughing were the Oompa-Loompa song/dance routines.  I felt the movie was poking fun (in a good way) at us - the MTV music video generation.

I especially liked the chocolate bar becoming the Monolith for the chimpanzees in the clip from the 2001 movie.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2005, 11:12:32 PM »

Violet was the best of the kids... Her Oompa Loompa song was great.

Overall though, I was a little disappointed with the movie.
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »

^^really?
i thought it was great.
especially when he kept walking into the glass elevator.
Mike was my fave outta the kids.
Johnny Depp was great in it, as usual. ok

What's so civil about war anyway?
Sterlingdog
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2005, 05:03:07 PM »

I was wondering how many kids (or their parents) wouldn't see what was so wrong with Mike.  I actually know a kid like that, and his parents think he's the perfect kid.  They just brag about how smart he is, and ignore his behavior. 
BA
Linkin Park's worst nightmare
VIP

g,n,f'n,r's!!**

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2005, 07:07:21 PM »

whos seen the new one i just watched it and thought it was really good,jonny depp great as ever only let down for me was the oompa loompas...

what are ur thoughts?like or not like?

i want to show you something,like joy inside my heart.seems i been living in the temple of the dog.where would i live if i were a man of goldenwords or would i live at all
word and music-my only tool
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2005, 09:55:10 PM »

There's a 2 or 3 page thread on it in the Jungle.... Is this thread for dicussing the Oompa Loompa songs?  Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: