Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:27:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Official NHL 2005-2006 Season Thread
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official NHL 2005-2006 Season Thread  (Read 86347 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #340 on: June 20, 2006, 03:35:16 PM »

every team you mention was an expansion team. and there was a time when each of those cities had NO hockey. but eventually the sport grew and became part of their tradition.

so why are you so against this possibility happening in other cities? it makes no sense and is actually contradictory.

and if you're not a fan of the NHL, why do you watch? just go watch minor leagues or juniors or college.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #341 on: June 20, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »

I don't recall ever saying I'm not a fan of the NHL.  I'm just not a fan of the people who run the league (I won't name any names except to say it begins with a "G: and ends with "ary Bettman").

I have said before, and I will say again, that the league should never have been expanded beyond around 20 to 24 teams.  I am against any further expansion now and have opposed all expansion since the 1980's.  And not every team I've mentioned is an expansion team-- Dallas and Carolina were not recent expansion but rather theft from another city, Minnesota and Hartford as the case may be.

As a Cleveland Browns fan, I am highly opposed to moving of teams out of loyal fan bases.  I've had it happen to me.  Once again, the Hurricanes were stolen from a loyal fan base by an owner desperate to move the moment he bought the team, mostly since the city wouldn't give him a new arena.

Philadelphia had been seen as a potential expansion or movement city for the NHL since the 1930's.  Hence why I wouldn't oppose it.  Moving Quebec to Colorado is another situation of "team theft," but at least they were moved to a good hockey market in Denver.

Nashville, Carolina, Phoenix, Atlanta, and Anaheim all are recent expansions or movements to non-traditional markets and all were among the bottom 5 in average per-game attendance in 2005-06.  By these numbers, you can't tell me these are markets that want and care about the NHL.  In 2003-04, Atlanta, Anaheim, Nashville, and Carolina were all among the bottom 10.  The NHL is trying to give the game to people and cities who obviously don't want it.

Top 10 in attendance in 2005-06 were all more traditional markets, with the exception of Tampa Bay at #2 (in order, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Minnesota, and NY Rangers).  Top 10 in 2003-04 again were all traditional markets except for Dallas at #8-- Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, Philadelphia, Vancouver, St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas, NY Rangers, Colorado.

Hockey is a sport that will always do best in more traditional markets.  No matter what, the game has proven that it won't succeed on a major basis in the south.  Atlanta has already lost one team.  Despite have some great teams the past few years, Nashville is a bottom 10 team in attendance.  Carolina, in spite of a Finals appearance in 2002 is a bottom 10-- we'll see if this will change.  Anaheim was a Finals team in 2003 and still managed to be bottom 10 in attendance the following year.  Phoenix, with one of the greatest players in NHL history as head coach was a bottom 10 team in attendance.

The game won't succeed in some areas and Bettman refuses to believe it.  Baseball, football, and basketball will be successful almost anywhere a team is put (only a few exceptions, especially in basketball).

And as for not watching the NHL, I just might quit watching.  I'm working with a junior team, might be moving up to an AHL team soon, and frankly the game isn't what it once was.  Once Bettman is out of the picture from this league, I'll be the fan I once was.

I will say I did find it great that Brind'Amour just stepped right past our dipshit commissioner in the middle of his rambling speech to take the Cup on a skate, as well as Whitney's "Fuckin RIGHT!" shout on National TV.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #342 on: June 21, 2006, 09:20:43 AM »

I don't recall ever saying I'm not a fan of the NHL.? I'm just not a fan of the people who run the league (I won't name any names except to say it begins with a "G: and ends with "ary Bettman").

"I hate this league, I hate Gary Bettman, I hate fucking Southerners."

Here?s where you said it (just before your discriminatory comment against southerners).

But now I understand that you don?t hate everything about the league, just how it?s run.

I hate expansion as well, but not cause I hate southerners, and not cause I think I have a right to a team more than anyone else living in north America. I hate expansion cause it dilutes the talent level of the league.     

Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #343 on: June 22, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »

I have several reasons for hating expansion and movement, and actually your comment about talent dilution is number one on the list.  Thanks to going from 21 to 30 teams in the span of about 10 years, the league is full of no-talent stiffs like Marty Murray, Marty Reasoner, Kevyn Adams (how the hell does he wear the A for Carolina?), Ethan Moreau, Chris Dingman, and Kent Manderville (no longer in the league, but the epitome of the type of player I despise) and over the hill former stars like Shawn McEachern, Tommy Albelin, and Jason Wooley.

The abandoning of traditional markets runs a close second.  I just can't watch games between places like Florida and Anaheim.  However, I would have watched Winnipeg vs. Quebec anyday.

And like I said, there's nothing I hate more in pro sports than seeing a team moved out from under a loyal fan base to somewhere, anywhere else.  It's already happened to one of my teams (Browns) and is in danger of happening to another (Penguins).  And what's even worse is seeing that moved team win a championship.  Solidarity, my Connecticut brothers!

If it were up to me, the NHL would have 20 teams, with a four-tiered minor league system and 75% North American players.  I have a whole plan written out but really don't have the space to post it all here.  Now if I could only get the NHL brass to listen to me.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #344 on: June 22, 2006, 02:50:21 PM »

i agree with what you're saying, but expansion has nothing to do with abandoning traditional markets.

if people paid to go see their home teams, owners wouldn't have to move to make money.

"75% North American players"....that would just further dilute the talent level. why the hate towards foreign players??

Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #345 on: June 23, 2006, 01:22:11 AM »

Many foreign leagues in other sports have requirements for players of the league's home's nationality (Canadians in the CFL, Europeans in NFL Europe, etc.).  With the NHL being a North American league, I feel the league should be primarily composed of North American players, just as the Swedish leagues are primarily Swedish players, Russian leagues have mostly Russians, and the Czech leagues are primarily Czech.  It's not a requirement but that's the way it is.  I'd like to see North America the same way.  And besides, the league is probably somewhere around 75% North American anyway right now.  There are plenty of stiffs from everywhre around the world in the league right now, and once they're eliminated, it would probably stay at roughly 75% North American.

Anyways, here's how I have my league proposal all drawn out:

23 skaters (18 dressed), 2 goalies (or 22 skaters and 3 goalies), at least 16 North American skaters per team (roughly 69%).

72-game seasons: 1 home and 1 away vs. opposite conference teams (20 games), 2 home and 2 away vs. opposite division teams (20 games), 4 home and 4 away vs. same division teams (32 games)

Play 3-4 games per week, 5 month season October-February, Playoffs in March/April (I'm sorry, but there is no reason hockey should be played in June, unless you live in Antarctica).

Playoffs-- 4 teams per conference, Conference Semifinals-- best of 5, Conference Finals-- best of 7, Stanley Cup Finals-- best of 7

Additionally, there would be none of the Eastern and Western Conference crap at any of the four levels.  The Conferences would have old-style names like Campbell, Wales, Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick (I have the NHL as being Howe, Richard, Gretzky, Esposito, Orr, and Lemieux).

It would take up too much space to post everything about all my redone leagues, but at the very least, I'll post my NHL contraction and alignment:

Howe Conference
Gretzky Division: Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Winnipeg, Vancouver
Esposito Division: St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Colorado

Richard Conference
Orr Division: Boston, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, Washington
Lemieux Division: Pittsburgh, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Cleveland (I can dream, can't I?)

All NHL teams that were contracted were placed at the highest level of the minor leagues, as well as cities that once had NHL teams (Kansas City, Hartford, and Hamilton are all there).  Traditional minor league markets were preserved, as well as a few experimental markets.  I also tried to put at least one team at some level in every state.

It's things like these that make me realize I need a job that takes up more of my time.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #346 on: June 23, 2006, 12:16:58 PM »

Award winners:

Hart Trophy, Most Valuable Player -- Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks
Calder Trophy, Top Rookie -- Left wing Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals
Vezina Trophy, Top Goaltender -- Calgary Flames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff
Selke Trophy, Top Defensive Forward -- Carolina Hurricanes center Rod Brind'Amour
Norris Trophy, Top Defenseman -- Nicklas Lidstrom Detroit Red Wings
Lady Byng, Sportsmanship -- Red Wings' Pavel Datsyuk
Masterton Trophy, Perseverance and Dedication to Hockey -- Anaheim Ducks Teemu Selanne,
Pearson Trophy, MVP voted by NHLPA -- Jaromir Jagr New York Rangers.
Adams Trophy, Top Coach -- Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff
Maurice Richard Trophy, Most Goals -- San Jose's Jonathon Cheechoo
King Clancy Trophy, Humanitarian Contributions -- Washington Capitals Olaf Kolzig
William M. Jennings Trophy: Goalie(s) With the Fewest Goals Scored Against -- Mikka Kiprusoff
Presidents' Trophy: Best Overall Record -- Detroit Redwings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the record...I think the teams should play each team in their division 6 times...each other team in their conference 3 times, and the other conference 2 times = 84 games...i dont think financially that some teams can afford to play less games than 82...they need the revenue...and i don't see the reason to curb the amount of Euro players....but in the CHL they should not allow them IMO....and Bring back the old division names...we need some history for sure.

leave the length of playoffs alone....it has to be 4 teams per side or 8 to get it to work with no byes

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2006, 11:11:34 AM »

The Vancouver Canucks and Florida Panthers have completed a multi-player trade involving some big names on the eve of the NHL Draft.

The Panthers have confirmed that they acquired Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alexander Auld from the Canucks in exchange for Roberto Luongo and Lukas Krajicek and a 2006 sixth round pick.

Luongo is a restricted free agent, and the Panthers had been unable to work out a long-term deal with the star netminder.  The Miami Herald reported on Tuesday that Panthers general manager Mike Keenan said that the team would explore all options when it came to Luongo.

On Friday night, Keenan pulled the trigger on a mega-deal with the Canucks.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2006, 11:13:50 AM »

damn malcom you just beat me....

that trade is insane Shocked

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »

Neemo, I like your thoughts on how the schedule should be set out.  The only concern I have is with the 3 interconference games.  I know that it could alternate every second year as to who gets the extra home game, but I'm not sure as to how the marketing would be, especially when you have traditional rivalries like Philadelphia vs. Toronto (for example) and only have one of the games in Toronto.  At the moment, though, I don't like the schedule works out.  Years where Toronto and Detroit only meet once definitely doesn't cut it, especially when you look at the large potential for sales when the two teams face one another.  The potential for an 84 game schedule is not bad at all.  It's been done before (early 90s) and could certainly work in the new NHL, especially in non-Olympic seasons.

As for the Bertuzzi-Luongo trade, call it a huge win for Vancouver if they can lock up Luongo long-term.  They've been looking for good goaltending ever since Kick McLean.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2006, 10:19:45 PM »

I don't think Bertuzzi can make a big impact for the Panthers, but if they have to move Luongo, they might as well get someone who can bring in as much ticket revenue (I mean, they're in Florida, they need all the draw to the arena they can get).

Good move for Vancouver unless they run into cap problems b/c of it. Florida, well, it's better than just flat out losing Luongo to free agency.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2006, 10:24:24 PM »

Washington drafts Semen Varlamov.

Seriously, who the fuck names their kid "Semen"?
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2006, 10:25:50 PM »

Washington drafts Semen Varlamov.

Seriously, who the fuck names their kid "Semen"?

His life started with semen, so why not name him after it?

No one in the draft will make huge impacts this coming season.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #353 on: June 25, 2006, 12:23:02 AM »

So with Alexander Semin and Semen Varlamov, the Caps have a real mess of Russians in their organization.  rofl

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2006, 01:44:18 AM »

Toronto Acquired goaltender Andrew Raycroft from the Boston Bruins in exchange for goaltender Tuukka Rask.

Dallas Acquired center Patrik Stefan and defenseman Jaroslav Modry from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for center Niko Kapanen and a seventh round pick in the 2006 draft; signed Stefan to a one-year contract.

Calgary Acquired forward Alex Tanguay from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for defenseman Jordan Leopold, a 2006 second round pick and a conditional second round pick in 2007 or 2008.

The Los Angeles Kings shipped forward Pavol Demitra to the Minnesota Wild for Patrick O'Sullivan and the Wild's No. 17 pick, which was used to select USHL center Trevor Lewis.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2006, 07:47:59 AM »

wow...some ecent size names moving Shocked

Raycroft to Toronto....i wonder if they will get rid of Eddie or maybe phase him out cut his games in 1/2

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »

Raycroft to Toronto....i wonder if they will get rid of Eddie or maybe phase him out cut his games in 1/2

Word on the street is that Eddie's done in TO.  As is Domi.  I wonder where they'll go?  Belfour might retire.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2006, 04:27:06 PM »

Word on the street is that Eddie's done in TO.? As is Domi.? I wonder where they'll go?? Belfour might retire.

wow..really? that would be crazy, lots of leaf fans would be upset i think....but he's really fucked up, he should retire anyaway IMO

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2006, 05:16:11 PM »

I dont think many Leafs fans would be pissed if Domi where to go...I think most of them know that he cant contribute as a scorer and no longer as a tough guy....Im a huge Domi fan but he needs to go

Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »

Please god, don't let Domi sign in Pittsburgh or Boston.

I hate that fucking midget.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: