Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 03:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Fuck Oasis
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck Oasis  (Read 35950 times)
usurper
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2005, 08:49:20 PM »

I'm being totally serious but are the ones on the left and right male or female? Huh

smoking Izzy? smoking

Not very manly, seems kinda gay
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2005, 04:41:15 AM »

when you think of the major bands of the 90's then Oasis are certainly top 3 if not number one in the list, and number one definitely in the UK

I think Metallica, GNR and Nirvana would form the top 3. As for UK, perhaps. By the way, is it just a coincidence that the three of you sticking up for Oasis come from that certain island? Wink

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2005, 11:37:24 AM »

other bands play

MANOWAR KILL!

...eric adams would destroy oasis with his left arm alone

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2005, 11:48:06 AM »

...eric adams would destroy oasis with his left arm alone

Lol, I know - he wouldn't even need his chain mail and broadsword! Cheesy

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2005, 12:18:26 PM »

This joke is getting really old. Metal-Archives.com is back up, and here is the legitimate picture, straight from the band info section. I didn't think I even had to point out the obviously photoshopped picture.  Roll Eyes The motorcycle one is better anyway. Here's the real picture for everyone to see.

Oasis won't be remembered at all because they aren't original. They're so similar to what's already been said in rock n' roll, they could almost be called a cover band. They just add their own little flavor, and calling the whole thing original, which it isn't. Manowar admit to being influenced by Sabbath, but much of what they make is absolutely original.

And, like Skeletor, I have heard Oasis because every other student in my dorm plays their shit.  rant They are just another alternative band that the media has jumped on.

EDIT: Metal-Archives won't let me link it, so just look up Manowar on the site to see the real picture.  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 10:40:36 PM by Walk » Logged
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2005, 02:06:54 PM »

They are just another alternative band that the media has jumped on.

Couldn't say it better myself

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
estranged.1098
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2005, 07:35:08 PM »

Oasis won't be remembered at all because they aren't original. They're so similar to what's already been said in rock n' roll, they could almost be called a cover band. They just add their own little flavor, and calling the whole thing original, which it isn't. Manowar admit to being influenced by Sabbath, but much of what they make is absolutely original.

First off, they don't say they're original. Noel Gallagher once said music stopped being original after the Beatles, because all music since then are influenced by them. He also said a guitar has 30 chords and every single combination has been done before. "Ask Keith Richards, he'll explain that to you."  classic Noel hihi

Oasis are influenced by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Velvet Underground, The Kinks and other rock n roll bands. Why? Because that's the music they like, they listen to and obviously what their music sound like. They sound like the best bands in the world, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I wouldn't call that a rip-off, specially since no one is getting ripped off. Or is someone getting ripped off when they listen to 'Live Forever'? Or 'Rock N Roll Star'? (Opening track on the debut album, brilliant lyrics specially for that)

In fact it's pretty common to do this with rock bands. If you make rock n roll music people will automatically say you're just ripping off other bands from decades ago, but if you play metal or raggae or hip-hop then it's okay to sound like other bands. Of course it sounds similiar, that's what a fucking music genre is. If you're gonna sound like someone there's no better choice than the bands I listed above, again in my opinion. So yes I love Oasis.

As for calling any other music crap, me I don't do that. I don't like metal but I don't think it's crap, it's just not my thing. Liam however does, what he doesn't like is shit in his mind, and he will happilly let you know that, like someone mentioned he doesn't give a rats ass what other people think. Most people posting on this thread are also acting like that by saying Oasis is crap, so you can't complain.

As for being big, Oasis were the biggest band in the world for a while. Does anyone think that's relevant? I don't.
Did the media contribute to that? Of course, just like with every other band that was the biggest in the world for a while (yes, including Guns N' Roses). And the small ones too, you'd have no idea who Manowar is if it weren't for some type of media reaching you.
Oasis was played by the media, just like Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, The Beatles etc. Now we get back to the "are they good?" question.

Oasis has sold over 50 million records (including one that is a collection of B-sides). This year they have played to over 500,000 people, and every single one of the shows were sold out. Last week they broke the record for fastest selling show in North Ireland. In short, quite a few people like them. Why? Because they're good. You don't have to like them, but a band just doesn't do that after 12 years if they're not good.
Manowar, to be honest I never heard of them, I don't like metal. But if you don't like Oasis you are never gonna convince me you like rock n roll, because you don't.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2005, 07:52:18 PM »

as much as i cant stand either of these bands you have to give them credit...and your post was excellent estranged...

but i disagree on originality and all combinations of chords have been done...30 chords with 4 notes to a bar thats 30 to the power 4, thats 810,000 combinations multiply that by all possible lengths of notes 16 for instance, thats 48 million which doesnt include gaps in sound, slides and all the other numerous tricks say about 20...so thats 960 million combinations for 1 bar with 1 instrument and that imo is being liberal...we havent even started yet eh

they do sound like the beatles and the music is certainly unoriginal even in their lyrics are original...even the beatles stole a lot of their early music from chuck, buddy and elvis among others

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Chris Misfit
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2005, 09:28:59 PM »

Oasis are a bunch of fucking hoods who got lucky. They play boring pussy crap that my sister could write. Their fans are artsy student prats, who wear striped shirts, coz "They're supposed to" and represnt evrything wrong with english music ever. How much more do we have to suffer?

Manowar can play.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2005, 11:58:41 PM »

First off, they don't say they're original. Noel Gallagher once said music stopped being original after the Beatles, because all music since then are influenced by them. He also said a guitar has 30 chords and every single combination has been done before. "Ask Keith Richards, he'll explain that to you."  classic Noel hihi

There has been tons of music made with no Beatles influence. In fact, there is some music made that is more original than not. Before, say, Overkill, the only thrash out there were a few Judas Priest intros to songs. It's fair to say they were influential, but Overkill should get credit for perfecting the genre. Of course, it's very debatable who really started thrash, but the point is still intact. Overkill is 90% original, Oasis 20%. It matters, since the original band is almost always better. If I wanted the Beatles, I would listen to the Beatles, not 2nd rate clones.

I'm not saying Oasis is completely ripping them off. I'm only saying that they're unoriginal in general. They're too similar to many bands that had come before. They don't claim to be original, but originality is one of the most important parts of music. The best bands have very few bands successfully imitate them.

Oasis are influenced by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Velvet Underground, The Kinks and other rock n roll bands. Why? Because that's the music they like, they listen to and obviously what their music sound like. They sound like the best bands in the world, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I wouldn't call that a rip-off, specially since no one is getting ripped off. Or is someone getting ripped off when they listen to 'Live Forever'? Or 'Rock N Roll Star'? (Opening track on the debut album, brilliant lyrics specially for that)

Manowar were influenced by Black Sabbath, and they sound nothing like Black Sabbath. However, they still respect them enough to pay tribute to them in their namesake song. Oasis need to restrict their egos, that is their problem. The "rock star" attitude is infamous because few of the stars have the talent to back it up. This is also why bands like Led Zeppelin were legendary party bands. They were obnoxious, but they had every right to be that way. Oasis don't.

In fact it's pretty common to do this with rock bands. If you make rock n roll music people will automatically say you're just ripping off other bands from decades ago, but if you play metal or raggae or hip-hop then it's okay to sound like other bands. Of course it sounds similiar, that's what a fucking music genre is. If you're gonna sound like someone there's no better choice than the bands I listed above, again in my opinion. So yes I love Oasis.

Rock is a more restrictive form of music than metal, so I do tend to give rock bands more leeway. Oasis is still not good enough. Rock can and is often better than metal, so they don't have an excuse. It's only fair to expect bands from smaller and more elitist genres to be more creative. It's actually much worse to sound like other bands in metal/reggae/hip-hop than in rock and roll.

As for calling any other music crap, me I don't do that. I don't like metal but I don't think it's crap, it's just not my thing. Liam however does, what he doesn't like is shit in his mind, and he will happilly let you know that, like someone mentioned he doesn't give a rats ass what other people think. Most people posting on this thread are also acting like that by saying Oasis is crap, so you can't complain.

He could at least admit his band isn't as loud as Manowar. The whole thing started because of his dubious claim and the following response he made when he was corrected. Combined with his lack of talent and a media that somehow doesn't notice it, and you have a problem.

As for being big, Oasis were the biggest band in the world for a while. Does anyone think that's relevant? I don't.
Did the media contribute to that? Of course, just like with every other band that was the biggest in the world for a while (yes, including Guns N' Roses). And the small ones too, you'd have no idea who Manowar is if it weren't for some type of media reaching you.
Oasis was played by the media, just like Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, The Beatles etc. Now we get back to the "are they good?" question.

There's a difference between the radio playing a song and borrowing a cd from a good friend. It's unfair to blame bands for getting media attention (Twisted Sister), but things get ugly when they whore themselves out to the media, and often burn out because of it (Twisted Sister, again). Rock and roll shouldn't depend on what Rolling Stone magazine says is good.

Oasis has sold over 50 million records (including one that is a collection of B-sides). This year they have played to over 500,000 people, and every single one of the shows were sold out. Last week they broke the record for fastest selling show in North Ireland. In short, quite a few people like them. Why? Because they're good. You don't have to like them, but a band just doesn't do that after 12 years if they're not good.
Manowar, to be honest I never heard of them, I don't like metal. But if you don't like Oasis you are never gonna convince me you like rock n roll, because you don't.

The popularity argument is bogus and worthless. It's not even worth going over. Besides, Oasis leans more towards pop-"rock" than rock and roll. Rock and roll is bands like Kiss, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, The Wildhearts, Ratt, Lynyrd Skynyrd, GnR, Deep Purple, Ugly Kid Joe, Rush, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, etc. Those are all great bands. About 30% of what I listen to is rock and roll (60% metal, 10% classical is the rest). Rock music is some of my favorite.

http://mcm.netsville.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=serve&item=mp3s.html

To be more objective, listen to some Manowar first. Get Battle Hymns. Here you can buy mp3's, if you aren't a pirate. Wink If you get one song, get Metal Daze. It shows off Eric Adam's singing ability and the general sound of Manowar's music. Hail and Kill is another good one. $1.25 shouldn't be too much for you, I hope...  Undecided
estranged.1098
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2005, 07:47:53 PM »

http://www.savefile.com/projects/813769

Ok, there's a bootleg. It should address all your previous comments.  hihi
No, serious. It's 72,5MB. (btw, savefile may be down at the moment. in that case check later)
estranged.1098
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »

Oh, and:

"If you don't like Oasis, you're shit."
Noel Gallagher

a few more quotes for ya: http://www.sp1at.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2005, 12:29:15 AM »

http://www.savefile.com/projects/813769

Ok, there's a bootleg. It should address all your previous comments.  hihi
No, serious. It's 72,5MB. (btw, savefile may be down at the moment. in that case check later)

I love live music, but Oasis isn't much better live. The singer sounds bored, like he doesn't want to be there. He is definitely the weakest link for the band; he needs lessons badly. The songs are still boring. In fact, I'm disappointed that they didn't really change them much from the studio versions. There aren't any memorable riffs, either. It's nearly impossible to hear some of the solos, too. The whole thing overall is just a mess, even if it improves a bit as the concert goes on.

The best song was Champagne Supernova, one of their big hits iirc. This song is definitely salvagable if Oasis had a good singer. Live Forever, Songbird, and Don't Look Back In Anger were also decent. The rest were more or less forgettable.

I'll quote Noel Gallagher here to end this. "We're not arrogant, we just believe we're the best band in the world". If he isn't arrogant, he's ignorant. Either way, he doesn't see that he isn't that great. He might make better music if he were more open to criticism, not clueless critics.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2005, 12:50:02 AM »

Damn, just when I'm gonna post in this thread someone goes and says everything that needs to be said.  Right on, Walk.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
old
Opening Act

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2005, 06:31:02 AM »

Let's see now

Manowar - first album release 1982, total albums released: 12
(they were formed in 1974 btw, this makes them the same age as AC/DC
and they were playing elsewhere before this. Some serious talent here,
including maybe the best bass player in the world, of any genre.)

Oasis - first album release 1994 (??!!??), total albums released: 7

Who the fuck does Oasis think they are?

Oh and to add to this, I don't own a single Manowar record right now, but
about 10 years ago, you know, when Oasis was just a glitter on the MTV
execs eye, they were kicking ass all over the world and still do, just cos
some of you haven't heard of them doesn't make them unknown, just makes
you ignorant.

As for which will be remembered in 50 years... hmm, one is already been
around for almost 30 years now, you make your assumptions...
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2005, 07:31:39 AM »

didnt oasis tour for 3-4 years before they were signed to a label?

besides manowars lyrics are full of die die burn blood satan crush the world crap..like a badly made vampire movie hihi

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2005, 07:44:23 AM »

besides manowars lyrics are full of die die burn blood satan crush the world crap..like a badly made vampire movie hihi

Oh dear...

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
old
Opening Act

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2005, 11:17:25 AM »

didnt oasis tour for 3-4 years before they were signed to a label?

Who the fuck cares.

Yeah, cos singing about Champagne Supernovas and Wonderwalls is so much better.
Like a badly made cheese movie.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2005, 11:24:49 AM »

anything rock (oasis) is just conceptually better than anything metal (manowar). No question asked. I've always seen heavy metal as a fake music.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
old
Opening Act

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2005, 11:29:47 AM »

anything rock (oasis) is just conceptually better than anything metal (manowar). No question asked. I've always seen heavy metal as a fake music.

How can music be fake?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: