Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:20:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Planning for the next tour...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planning for the next tour...  (Read 6023 times)
Chief
Legend

« on: July 25, 2005, 04:42:44 PM »

i just read this article about Queen and i think Guns can apply a tour plan just like this to get back in the ring, or something similar. what do you guys think?

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000991264

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 04:56:24 PM »

I have questions about this so called "next" tour. Who's going to promote it? Who's gonna pay for it? Who's gonna pay the astronomical insurance premiums for each show? Axl burnt alot of bridges with that 2002 fiasco. That tour is one of the worst moments in GNR history. The only thing good about it is the fact that we got bootlegs of some new songs, making the wait a little less frustrating. I really hope he tours again so the HTGTH members who never seen GNR live can finally get the chance to do so, but in my opinion, its not gonna happen. Just pray for CD.

DemocracyRose
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 05:04:19 PM »

To begin with, they could play some festivals in europe next year....
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 05:39:54 PM »

I don't know exactly how to speculate on a tour.   He does like to start off his tours with a big festival but who knows.  Like James said, who is going to promote it?  Hopefully thinks can get settled with CC.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 06:11:46 PM »

hahahaha good one.... oh wait... you are serious

Axl is going to be fronting a lot of his own money for the next tour.  As lofton said, no one is going to take chances with them anymore.  Unless if they play in an open field with nothing around to destroy and make all concert-goers sign a contract stating that if they get hurt/die it isnt the fault of GNR or the promoter.  Then they may have a shot.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 06:17:17 PM »

Yes, essentially GN'R as a touring act are a potential liability for any promoter.
They were on the Illusions tour, but they were huge in those days so promoters would be more likely to take a chance.

Unless Axl can consistently sell out arenas and get to gigs in a timely fashion etc.. the idea of a tour seems absurd

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:27:53 PM »

Good to see you guys seeing the reality of the situation. As you said Jimmy, talks about a tour are absurd. And WAR41, Axl will not use his own money. Do you have any idea what it would cost to pay for your own world tour? He would go broke just on insuring each concert. Axl isnt a potential liability, he is a liability. Its just not gonna happen. If it does, it will be the ugliest trainwreck GNR has done yet. I think he should just concentrate on albums, and forget about touring.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 07:50:59 PM »

yeah i assumed a lot of things in the post but assuming the album does relatively well then i'm sure they will tour.

if they start off smaller and prove they are doing good shows and work their way up i think it can be done.

I'm not counting them out yet!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 08:05:57 PM »

I dont really want to count him out yet either, but it looks pretty grim. IF there is a tour, I think he should release CD first and let the hysteria die down . Do some interviews, tv shows, maybe host SNL, things like that. Get used to being in the limelight again. If he adjusts well to the situation, then I think a tour would be feasible. Lets sat CD is out in November. He should wait until summer to tour. And he shouldn't headline by himself right away. Do a Lollapalooza type tour first. That way, everything isn't on his shoulders, and if he makes mistakes, others can help carry the load. 

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 08:11:41 PM »

First and foremost release the album. That alone will be enough promotion for the band and show promotors that Axl is serious again.

Secondly do some european festival tours...play the new stuff and see hwo it goes from there.

GNR will not have a problem touring when/if the new material is out. The ball is in Axls court. When hes ready all he has to do is release the album and everything esle will take care of itself

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 08:28:42 PM »

Good to see you guys seeing the reality of the situation. As you said Jimmy, talks about a tour are absurd. And WAR41, Axl will not use his own money. Do you have any idea what it would cost to pay for your own world tour? He would go broke just on insuring each concert. Axl isnt a potential liability, he is a liability. Its just not gonna happen. If it does, it will be the ugliest trainwreck GNR has done yet. I think he should just concentrate on albums, and forget about touring.

you gotta realise that as your writting this n' thinkin' what would be fucked if they did a tour, the thing is we dont know n' you dont know, n' plus, no ones talkin' about a tour or anything. The 02' tour wasnt the worst moments either mate, c'mon dude.

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 08:42:57 PM »

The days of touring without a new album to promote are over, especially those involving spacious arenas.

Release date, single, a few festivals, then we can talk about a tour.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 09:05:55 PM »

I don`t think they`ll be booking arenas in Idaho anytime soon.......

GNR does better in the bigger markets with those shows.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
RichardNixon
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 11:27:25 PM »

Can Axl/GN'R go on tour w/o Clear Channel? Is there someone else that can promote the tour? Or are they dead in the H20 w/o CC?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 12:59:20 AM »

Axl is going to have to tour europe first and show he can make all the shows, then he will get backed in the USA espeically if CD does well.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
DemocracyRose
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 02:16:21 AM »

Axl is going to have to tour europe first and show he can make all the shows, then he will get backed in the USA espeically if CD does well.

Yes, and this could fit perfectly with a Spring/Summer release next year...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 03:17:45 AM »

I think they should start with small venues and then when the album is out they should play stadium/arena gigs. I would go for stadiums. I want something big. Big sound, big lights, big stage, big crowd, big media coverage, welll, big success! something ala "use your illusion tour".

OH YEAH and put fortus on lead. It will be much more credible.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:50:21 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 09:26:10 AM »

Wow some people here are clueless.

No, Axl will not be fronting the money himself.

Forget about touring - this is possibly the most thoughtless comment I've ever seen. Touring is where an artist makes his money. Even a tour 1/4th of the size of the last one could make Axl some cash. Check PollStar if you wanna see what GNR took in for a single night in the 2002 tour. The shows that did well, did REALLY fucking well.

As for insurance costs/liability - someone will foot the bill. Don't even be surprised if it turns out to be Clear Channel again - but ONLY if there's an album to go with the tour. And with an iron-clad contract and a shitload of restrictions.

GH went on the be a top disc AFTER the fiasco, and despite it being old songs, someone will want to cash in. If CD can sell a million copies, and I'm pretty sure it can, then someone will jump in. There's a couple other viable promoters that could put on a good show, although CC is the largest (thanks to  bullshit US laws).

You want a tour? Here's an idiot-proof tour for you:

Japan - Osaka and Tokyo. They did Summersonic in 2002 and were very successful. They could play those cities solo (with an opening act or two) and sell the joints out (even Tokyodome).

Europe - some festivals again, and some solo dates mixed in. 10 dates total, spread out - none of this four shows a week bullshit. The last tour was, imo, too compacted.

US - 10 shows in MAJOR MARKETS. Do NOT play buttfuck, idaho.

New York
Albany, NY (two NY State shows are no problem, Albany pulled in around 10K people last time)
Philly (if possible - they owe Philly, they cancelled two shows there, and the first was sold out)
Boston (Boston was a strong-selling show last time)
Buffalo
Los Angles (was to be the final show of the last tour, got missed)
Chicago
Dallas
??  - Florida
Las Vegas (since they seem to like it).

Notice - no Detroit. Detroit is not rock city these days. After these dates you play Canada - next to MSG in MY, Toronto was the biggest show on the 2002 tour and the band always does great there.

Canada:

Toronto (near sell-out at about 15,000)
London, ON (this was a sold-out show, I was there, people were turned away from the ticket windows, several people snuck in, although the building holds only 9000 for concerts (10,000 for hockey), and the building owner/manager(?), when interviewed after the cancellation of the tour, said he'd take them back no problem since they made him a shitload of money).
City of Your Choice - since we've started riots in Vancouver and Montreal, Calgary or Edmonton make more sense.

So there's 2 Japan shows, 10 Euro shows, 10 US, and 3 Canadian shows.

25 shows for an opening leg of the tour. You then book later dates depending on the success of the album over time, adding strong markets, and revisiting some of the places that were hot before.

This crap in booking Boise, Biloxi, etc. - even before the tour last time I knew those dates would suck. I knew Detroit would suck since it's now Feminem country. You can add those later when there's a single or two out and the album (we hope) is doing well, but you don't do them to start and you sure as fuck don't do them without an album.

JJ
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 10:35:42 AM »

I hope they come to europe (Belgium!  Tongue) and first play very small places... max. 2.500 people!

... at least when I have the chance to buy tickets because it will be SOLD OUT IN SECONDS of course!

Now that would be awesome!

But that would never happen... even "a tour" will never happen again... I thinkno
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 10:40:56 AM »

axl's gonna tour on the internet.

live from MSN.com, it's guns n roses !!!  peace

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: