Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:28:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Could Axl have done it without the old guys?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could Axl have done it without the old guys?  (Read 16466 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2005, 11:28:52 PM »

Its funny that a poster on this board that is a huge slash fan, said he also read that yet you still dont believe it.
But you have no class and wont admit that it was slash's idea and that is fine.
You argue like a kid.? Roll Eyes

LOL!

Don't forget, a kid with a degree in psychology. rofl

EDIT: Or quite possibly a kid with a degree of psychosis. yes
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 11:37:45 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2005, 11:37:15 PM »

Its funny that a poster on this board that is a huge slash fan, said he also read that yet you still dont believe it.

LOL!

Don't forget, a kid with a degree in phychology.. rofl

Falcon so how many peope have to tell you they read the same article where it was slashs idea first? You can be a wise ass all you want, it does not change the fact that it was slash's idea.  hihi

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2005, 11:46:16 PM »

LOL!

Falcon so how many peope have to tell you they read the same article where it was slashs idea first? You can be a wise ass all you want, it does not change the fact that it was slash's idea.? hihi

How many people have to tell you they saw Slash put blame elsewhere on BTM?

Oh ya, Slash is a liar.? But then I guess if a quote from slash was indeed found and documented he would have been lying about it being his idea in the first place, therefore admonishing him of all guilt do to his habitual lying, right?

Again, I never said it wasn't Slash's idea, do you fucking get it??

Seriously, do you fucking understand that?

Again, I don't give a shit whose idea it was, Do you fucking get that?

All I've asked for is a documented quote from Slash saying he originated the idea , do you fucking understand that?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2005, 11:51:17 PM »

However, I still feel it's ludicrous to lay the blame for that period on Slash
Nothing during that period should be blamed soley on 1 member. Each contributed to the demiise of the old band.

youre right, they all contributed, some more than others it would seem

It would be fascinating to hear Axl's whole story, a shame he pulled out of the RS article

That's just speculation on your part. Read the portion of the Putterford book where Axl talks about the expansion of the band; slash went out of his way to find the players. If he was against it, and I really doubt he was at the time, he had a strange way of showing it.

My guess is that Slash is playing monday morning quarterback.

Once again, Slash recruited the players. If it was a bad idea, I doubt very much that he would have handpicked the players. To blame the expansion of the touring band on Axl simply is revising history.

he may have hand-picked them as you say, but i doubt very much it was his idea - there are obviously conflicting accounts of this

I would venture a guess to say that after Axl made his ultimatum, he sweetened the deal for Slash somewhat and allowed him to "hand-pick" the horn players, backing singers etc... it is not an idea that is consistent with Slash's whole musical approach for the last 20 years. I re-iterate, this is an assumption on my part and is no way being stated as fact.

he may have hand-picked them as you say, but i doubt very much it was his idea - there are obviously conflicting accounts of this

I would venture a guess to say that after Axl made his ultimatum, he sweetened the deal for Slash somewhat and allowed him to "hand-pick" the horn players, backing singers etc... it is not an idea that is consistent with Slash's whole musical approach for the last 20 years. I re-iterate, this is an assumption on my part and is no way being stated as fact.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 12:10:16 AM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2005, 12:00:13 AM »

However, I still feel it's ludicrous to lay the blame for that period on Slash
Nothing during that period should be blamed soley on 1 member. Each contributed to the demiise of the old band.

youre right, they all contributed, some more than others it would seem

It would be fascinating to hear Axl's whole story, a shame he pulled out of the RS article

That's just speculation on your part. Read the portion of the Putterford book where Axl talks about the expansion of the band; slash went out of his way to find the players. If he was against it, and I really doubt he was at the time, he had a strange way of showing it.

My guess is that Slash is playing monday morning quarterback.

Once again, Slash recruited the players. If it was a bad idea, I doubt very much that he would have handpicked the players. To blame the expansion of the touring band on Axl simply is revising history.

sorry, Im not sure I understand why youve posted that here?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2005, 12:04:56 AM »

LOL!

Falcon so how many peope have to tell you they read the same article where it was slashs idea first? You can be a wise ass all you want, it does not change the fact that it was slash's idea.? hihi

How many people have to tell you they saw Slash put blame elsewhere on BTM?

Oh ya, Slash is a liar.? But then I guess if a quote from slash was indeed found and documented he would have been lying about it being his idea in the first place, therefore admonishing him of all guilt do to his habitual lying, right?

Again, I never said it wasn't Slash's idea, do you fucking get it??

Seriously, do you fucking understand that?

Again, I don't give a shit whose idea it was, Do you fucking get that?

All I've asked for is a documented quote from Slash saying he originated the idea , do you fucking understand that?

You are the one who keeps asking for me to find the quote, so you must really care, dont you think? And down boy, don't get your panies in a bunch. I dont know how many times I have to tell you, I am not going to search for it again. But people keep on backing what I have been saying, so you should really just? drop it.? Its so sad you are getting all huffy about this. Just get over it already and move on. slash is? a proven liar, and he always changes the facts around just like he and? steven did on BTM. Like I said just look at how steven said the band was formed, that was assbackwards.
And I know that you know it was slashs idea, you are just being immature about admiting it. Like I said you just keep showing your true colors when you know it was his idea yet you keep asking for the quote.
Good night, I am done posting about this. Take a hint and just drop this, and move on.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2005, 12:32:16 AM »

Good night, I am done posting about this. Take a hint and just drop this, and move on.

Nice cop out kiddo...

Take a hint, document your allegations or be prepared to deal with the questions.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2005, 05:00:51 AM »

I very clearly remember Axl saying at the time that the horn section was Slash's idea (he didn't mention the backup singers though, which was the worst part IMO). He even said something to the effect of "I can't believe what a great job he's done putting that band together". Unfortunately I don't have the right magazine at hand.

Yes I know, you all want a Slash quote, because an Axl quote doesn't count, right? I personnally don't see the reason why Axl would give credit to someone else for an idea he's very satisfied with, but then again maybe I'm just a "fanboy" swallowing everything Axl shoves down my throat  ok

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2005, 05:09:32 AM »

but then again maybe I'm just a "fanboy" swallowing everything Axl shoves down my throat  ok

oooo..... that was kinda......sexual Wink

also, isnt it harder for a *singer* to go on solo albums ?
i mean, i know he plays the piano. but a singer needs a strong band. i dont think axl's singing, with me on the guitar would render well ...

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2005, 09:23:20 AM »

from what Ive heard, it was Axl's idea to have the backup singers and the horn section, and Slash got the task of auditioning and picking out the singers and hornplayers.
sorry I can't point to any evidence, but it was Slash himself saying it.

I really can't see a rnr type of guy like Slash wanting to have all that crap on stage with him. but considering Axl's incluences and such, I can see him wanting it.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
madagas
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2005, 10:33:53 AM »

Drop it already-they probably both decided on it! Who gives a shit? Axl said one time on MTV-I HAVE THE FUCKING TAPE OF THE INTERVIEW- that HE/THEY wanted to make the show bigger like the Stones. Thus, you have horn players and backup singers and keyboard players. Both guys had to agree on it so they both should be blamed!! beer beer Get over it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2005, 11:38:33 AM »

With the other threads going on about credit for writing music etc. i was just wondering what people though of these to questions-

a) Do you think Axl could have made AFD and the Illusions, been as good as the old band and acheived the great success by himself - without the old members?

and....

b) Do you think he could of been as good and successfull without the old guys but with a differant set of guys.

I always viewed Gn'R - apart from mabye Adler as a unit that while they may have had limited success would never have been as good without each other.

You have only to listen to Axl's own words for the answer to that question:

(From the Nov 8, 1999 interview with Keith Loder)

Loder: What have you been doing for the last six and a half years, since the last tour ended?

Rose: Trying to figure out how to make a record.

Loder: Ah, you already knew how to do that, right?

Rose: I originally wanted to make a traditional record or try to get back to an "Appetite [For Destruction]" thing or something, because that would have been a lot easier for me to do. I was involved in a lot of lawsuits for Guns N' Roses and in my own personal life, so I didn't have a lot of time to try and develop a new style or re-invent myself, so I was hoping to write a traditional thing, but I was not really allowed to do that.

Loder: What prevented you from doing, like, a traditional rock record?

Rose: Slash.

Loder: [Laughs] But you could have found another guitar player or something, right?

Rose: Well, not really.... Not to make a true Guns record. It's kind of like, I don't know, if you know somebody has a relationship, and there's difficulties in that, and Mr. or Mrs. Right doesn't kind of just stumble into their path, or they don't stumble across that person, they can't really get on with things. Somebody didn't come into my radar that would have really replaced Slash in a proper way.

That, to me, says it all.  Without Slash (and, IMHO, as importantly, Izzy), there would be no AFD and no Illusions.  At least not in anything remotely close to the format that we have now.

However, that's not to say Axl wouldn't have been successful without the rest of the guys.  He has talent (just as the rest of the old band does).  I think he WOULD have "made it" with a different set of guys behind him, but the creation would have been vastly different (as you would expect). It may NOT have been as successful as the old material is/was, but it would have been successful all the same, IMHO.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2005, 01:49:03 PM »

from what Ive heard, it was Axl's idea to have the backup singers and the horn section, and Slash got the task of auditioning and picking out the singers and hornplayers.

I don't have any evidence in hand either and I don't know if it was true but I've read somewhere that it was Duff who brought in the backup singers.

I see nothing wrong with the idea. Why the fuss?

Anyway amen to madagas. peace
makane
Legend

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2005, 01:59:04 PM »

A fucking ridiciolouse topic. everyone who has even a bit brain knows the answer

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2005, 03:01:43 PM »

A fucking ridiciolouse topic. everyone who has even a bit brain knows the answer
What pray tell is the answer?

Fuck 'Em All.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »

I don't have any evidence in hand either and I don't know if it was true but I've read somewhere that it was Duff who brought in the backup singers.

no I think that was the horn section, I think Duff's brother had something to do with that horn section. or was that for an album?

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2005, 07:34:29 PM »

no I think that was the horn section, I think Duff's brother had something to do with that horn section. or was that for an album?

I think Duffs brother played on Move to the City on Live like a suicide/GNR Lies

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2005, 11:30:01 AM »

I think Duffs brother played on Move to the City on Live like a suicide/GNR Lies

yeah that's it. but didn't he have something to do with the 976 horns? is that the right name?

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »

Younggunner, great post. I still dont understand why Axl has sat on this material. If The Blues had been released as a single in 1999/2000, it would have been #1. Axl could have reclaimed his throne with just one song. Instead, we got Oh My God. CD could also have had an impact at that time. Not a #1 song, but it would have been well received, and would have got heavy radio play. Axl has had several years when the album could have had a big impact(1999,2000,2002), but he refused to release it. 2004 was also a good time to do it. Total dead year music wise. What I fear is another 'movement' occuring similar to grunge, changing the musical landscape, and then Axl abandoning CD because it doesn't fit in with the musical landscape. It will only take one band to do this. Sometimes I wonder, if Nirvana had made it big in 1990, would Illusions have even been released?

The movement WILL be Axl. Haha. No but I totally get you man. I could see Axl changing a bunch of songs if a certain style got big. Maybe not the big ones.. but the smaller stuff.. and then the album would be due in '06... or '07... or.. well you get it. And if Nirvana made it in '90 Illusions would probably be close to the same.. but I think UYI2 would be less bluesy. O well... GO AXL!

gnrevolution.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: