Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:30:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  A New GNR album, but not CD Scenario
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: A New GNR album, but not CD Scenario  (Read 5283 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« on: July 23, 2005, 04:46:22 AM »

Its obvious that in the very near future, Interscope is going to get tired of this CD situation. If they issue Axl an ultimatum, it brings up an interesting question/scenario. If Axl says he still isn't ready to release CD, but offered up an album of demos, rarities, song remixes, etc,, would this album fulfill his contract with Interscope? Could he literally deliver a new album and it not be Chinese Democracy? I dont know how many albums  Axl is obligated to deliver to Interscope, but considering the fact that they've been waiting 12 years for one, it cant be very many. If Axl's getting cold feet concerning this project, this could be the escape clause he's looking for. He may be waiting for the results of the lawsuit to put this plan into action.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 04:54:29 AM »

GNR won't release next record with Interscope, it'll be Sanctuary.

Sanctuary Music Publishing has today signed the publishing for Guns 'N Roses legend Axl Rose.

The deal, which was confirmed by Sanctuary today, covers all catalogue on futures for the composer, including classics such as G'N'R's Sweet Child Of Mine.

It also follows a year after the company - a division of the 360 degree Sanctuary Music Group - announced its deal to sign UB40's catalogue at Midem 2004. It has also recently signed a deal with Kobalt Music to use its technologies for administration purposes.

A spokesperson for Sanctuary Group says the deal represents the latest step in building the SMP portfolio; publishing is a strategic priority for the group, he says.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 05:14:05 AM »

interscope will still be the label

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 05:16:12 AM »

GNR won't release next record with Interscope, it'll be Sanctuary.

Nope. Publishing and recording are separate issues.

"When you record the song for a record company, the company owns the copyright of the sound recording (the version you record for them), but you retain the copyright of the underlying song. Publishing money comes from the copyright of the song, not the sound recording." What is publishing?

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
god of thunder
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 09:24:07 AM »

@sic

Thanky u for the info....that is something I really wanted to know for a long time!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:32:45 AM »

@sic

Thanky u for the info....that is something I really wanted to know for a long time!

yeah me too, thanks dude!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »

IMO, I think they would want an album.  That is something they can promote, do vids for, release singles, it would be on the billboard charts.  The other stuff you mentioned James, IMO wouldn't be a lucrative for them as an actual album would be.  I don't think Axl can satisfy them with "extras" that could and normally are made available after an album has come out.  Even if it's demos of songs that aren't on CD, I thinkt he record company wouldn't go through all that for essentially "chump change".  That isn't going to sell, like CD would sell if released, IMO.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 01:10:30 PM »

Let's hope not, we've had Live Era, we've had Greatest Hits, we want new material damnit!!!!!!!  nervous

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 01:27:07 PM »

DTJ, I agree with what you're saying, but lets look at this from Axl's point of view. He decides he's not ready to release it, but his back is against the wall. Would releasing the demos/rarities album fulfill his contractual obligations to deliver Chinese Democracy? I haven't seen his contract with Interscope, but I'm 99.9% sure the words 'Chinese Democracy' are not written anywhere on the contract. This is a MAJOR loophole. By taking advantage of this loophole, he could help pay his huge tab with Interscope, make some money himself, and allow several more years to decide what to do with the CD project.

Dust N Rose
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 04:29:57 PM »

DTJ, I agree with what you're saying, but lets look at this from Axl's point of view. He decides he's not ready to release it, but his back is against the wall. Would releasing the demos/rarities album fulfill his contractual obligations to deliver Chinese Democracy? I haven't seen his contract with Interscope, but I'm 99.9% sure the words 'Chinese Democracy' are not written anywhere on the contract. This is a MAJOR loophole. By taking advantage of this loophole, he could help pay his huge tab with Interscope, make some money himself, and allow several more years to decide what to do with the CD project.

Not a good idea. He's gonna loose the chance for suprise. Everybody will say, what's that crap he released, we've waited so long for that e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c.
And please dude don't show such ideas. People of Geffen might be watching us and plan things  Kiss
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 04:48:53 PM »

Well, I spose he could offer that but I don't think the record company will go for it,  if it's not a complete "album" such as unfinished tracks and demos/rarities.    I get what you are saying, that in the contract, it is specified an "album" not specifically CHinese Democracy.  Good point James...who knows though after all this time, Axl could come out with an album with a title completely different and not put one song that we've on the the boots.

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 05:01:46 PM »

The lawsuit plays a part in this scenario playing itself out. Remember, a big part of this lawsuit has to deal with rights to the old material. If Axl has a demo/rarities album up his sleeve, he's going to want to know how big of a piece of the pie Slash and Duff are going to get out of it. If Duff and Slash win, this scenario is dead on arrival. If Axl wins, look out!! Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday, etc. may be heading for a record store near you!

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 05:05:23 PM »

The lawsuit plays a part in this scenario playing itself out. Remember, a big part of this lawsuit has to deal with rights to the old material. If Axl has a demo/rarities album up his sleeve, he's going to want to know how big of a piece of the pie Slash and Duff are going to get out of it. If Duff and Slash win, this scenario is dead on arrival. If Axl wins, look out!! Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday, etc. may be heading for a record store near you!

I also think to us that's a big deal but to the general public, I don't think it will sell and the record company will take that into consideration.? We are the diehards and ofcourse would love to own that and would buy it in a heartbeat.? James, do you think something like that would sell equal to if not better than the greatest hits?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 05:07:32 PM by DoubleTalkingJive » Logged

check it out!!
Dust N Rose
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 05:09:58 PM »

I also think to us that's a big deal but to the general public, I don't think it will sell and the record company will take that into consideration.? We are the diehards and ofcourse would love to own that and would buy it in a heartbeat.? James, do you think something like that would sell equal to if not better than the greatest hits?

I believe less. Greastest Hits sold too much (one reason) because Guns were burried for a long time. A new compilation would proove unworthy in my opinion.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 05:28:12 PM »

DTJ, it definitely wont sell like an album of his new stuff would, but its hard to speculate on the exact numbers. Us diehards would buy it, that's for sure. A certain percentage of casual fans would also buy it, because its stuff they've never heard. I doubt it would sell as much as greatest hits. But it would be easy money. It would cost practically nothing to put together. And if Axl wanted to buy some more time, or Interscope needed Axl to bring in some more money before thinking about pulling the plug, this would be a good first step, and like nothingman said, another hits album is not out of the question.

Dust N Rose
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 05:34:27 PM »

DTJ, it definitely wont sell like an album of his new stuff would, but its hard to speculate on the exact numbers. Us diehards would buy it, that's for sure. A certain percentage of casual fans would also buy it, because its stuff they've never heard. I doubt it would sell as much as greatest hits. But it would be easy money. It would cost practically nothing to put together. And if Axl wanted to buy some more time, or Interscope needed Axl to bring in some more money before thinking about pulling the plug, this would be a good first step, and like nothingman said, another hits album is not out of the question.

Guns N' Roses had so many things to release, so many lives and stuff at their peak to make easy money and they didn't, why should they do it now?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 05:54:50 PM »

Why would they do it? Because Axl is in some major debt with Interscope. Something's got to give. If not Chinese Democracy, then it will be something else.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 08:18:03 PM »

I can see them doing that for easy money but you would think they would want the mother load already.  Very good scenerio though.  We just might see something like that happen.  In this world anything goes...[HA!]  Seriously, the record co lays out 13 million, they stop funding, they make up their own greatest hits and release it, we don't know if Axl has a deadline or if they will force him out, he is using his own money to finish, this has been going on since 1999, etc....

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 08:48:05 PM »

Yeah, this situation is crazy. It has to be the strangest occurence in music history. What's going on between Axl and Geffen/Interscope is worthy of a book in itself. Sanctuary is also going to be a strange piece in this puzzle. I wish we could see the contract signed between Axl and Sanctuary. I wonder if there's a conflict of interest between the separate contracts he signed with Interscope and Sanctuary? Or maybe even a possible loophole in the deal with Sanctuary? Something is holding CD up besides just the lack of progress and lawsuits, and whatever it is, it's been holding it up for several years now.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 10:49:54 PM »

Something is holding CD up besides just the lack of progress and lawsuits, and whatever it is, it's been holding it up for several years now.

It's name is axl rose.  ok

p.s. , the axl I've followed all these years would NEVER release demo's and crap to fufill a contract.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: