Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:54:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR vs VR (Player By Player)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR vs VR (Player By Player)  (Read 56952 times)
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2005, 05:10:09 AM »

That quote by Lydon had to sting, nothing like having a heavy influence call your band narrow.

OUCH.

Not sure about Axl's band opening things up these days.? Although the name itself carries great rewards,? the stigma of the name could prove stiflling as well.?

Guess we won't know until something gets released...

As a long time Sex Pistols fan, I can honestly say that I've very rareley known Johnny Rotten *not* to insult fellow musicians unless they played some type of reggae or "weird" post-punk non-sense.

And to stay on topic, my picks aaare... Axl, Slash, Richard, Brain, Tommy, and Dizzy. Yay.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 06:04:09 AM by disease51883 » Logged
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2005, 09:10:42 AM »

All? you have to go back and read the reviews for the 2002 tour shows, and most of they said pretty much the same thing, if you closed? your eyes you could not even tell it wasnt the orginal band playing? the songs.? And that was from unbiased reviewers.? The only bad reviews the band got were from the ones that didnt even see the whole shows, like the guy who based it on two songs and the other guy who claimed they played PC when they didnt.

You're crazy, or tone deaf, if you think you could have sat in any one of those arena's in 2002 with you eyes closed and thought you were listening to the old band. Sure they were the best AFD tribute band I've ever heard, but there is a very large difference in the guitar sound and the amount of synth. For example back in the day (91-93) Dizzy is playing nothing more than bongo's on PC and WTTJ. In 2002 they had 2 people playing multiple instruments............ not the same sound........

Ok here ya go. Listen to both bands backing Axl. You think the new band didnt play the old songs as good as the old band. I think you are just in deinal, and here is my proof.? I just took the RIR 3 version of mr b and the live version from the old? band that was on my computer.

New band
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/GNR_MrBrownstone_Rio01-newgnrdotcom.mp3

Old band
http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0997LM64V6S9C3CO8CVYAGCUOE

Now how do either of these bands backing Axl sound different? Listen to slashs solo, then the new bands solo.
Its pretty much the same eh?
Slash never played the solo just as it was on the album either. That is something? people like you always forget.
So what do you have to say now? Oh I know you must be done deaf.

well, I dunno about you, but I can clearly hear a difference. even though the sound on the old band mp3 sucked.
Slash never played the solos the exact same way, but I can hear quite clearly if it's him playing or not. he's got a unique style, not easy to copy. I don't think they should try to copy it either, they're a new band, if they wanna get accepted as that they should play them with their own twists and turns. but any way you look at it, none of the solos Bucket or Robin has played on the old songs top the ones Slash did! and from what Ive heard of the new songs, all of them would have been better if Slash had played on them as well.
bit of a difference on the drums as well, Brain plays more of a funkyish way than the others.

BHs solo on night train blows always slashs. How can you even claim that no solo BH did tops slashs?
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/bhntrain.wmv

As for them sounding different they are not going to sound exactally the same but you strip Axls vocals and no one would know that it wasnt the old band playing.

Bucketheads Nightrain solo kicked ass. but no, I don't think it's better than Slash's. Slash just has the right sound and feel when he play those songs.

I guess Im no one, cos I would know it wasn't the old band playing! Grin

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
madagas
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2005, 09:27:02 AM »

Lydon is pure comedy. I love the Pistols but for him to call Gnr narrow when his band only released one album with songs ranging from three chords in a pile a dust to three chords in a pile of dust is simply taking the piss. They were the definition of narrow and simplistic. Rotten has been more of a comedian/entertainer over the last 15 years than a musician!  He's a funny fucker though. hihi hihi
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2005, 10:04:17 AM »

Lydon is pure comedy. I love the Pistols but for him to call Gnr narrow when his band only released one album with songs ranging from three chords in a pile a dust to three chords in a pile of dust is simply taking the piss. They were the definition of narrow and simplistic. Rotten has been more of a comedian/entertainer over the last 15 years than a musician!? He's a funny fucker though. hihi hihi

For sure, that's just what Lydon does. 

He did the same thing to Led Zep and The Clash back in the day and still does it to the likes of Greed Day today.  He's hysterical, a true provocator.

By far my favorite front man of all time, an electric, commanding presence both on and off stage.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2005, 11:45:50 AM »

yeah, I can't help but think Lydon and David Lee Roth have a lot in common! Grin

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2005, 01:28:53 PM »

I don't know that D L Roth guy well but he sounds fun puke according to John Lydon.
From the same article,

Lydon "One of the few people who does anything worthwhile around here is David Lee Roth," he reveals. "He puts up money for warehouse parties. Also on a good night here you can hear the machine gun fire in the distance." He smiles and tucks into an evilly spiced dish with relish, oblivious to the glances the clientele flash at him.

In my opinion, John's comment was also meant to be a helpful hint for the younger men.
That interview was done before the release of UYI. Do you know whom he quoted? I don't.

Not sure about any "helpful hints" on the Lydon comment, i think he was straight up taking the piss and didn't give a rats ass who he offended or influenced.

As far as the comment in '89, it was a definate knock.  Typical Lydon, God love him.

As far as the rest of the quotes, I suppose it might be relevent to Axl's situation now, but it's a reach for comparisons sake.  I wouldn't hesitate to agree if they actually came from Axl's mouth, but unfortunately they didn't.
Agree on what?

They are all from the same long article. Just to show you he?s not necessarily just knocking.

On the contrary, it might be typical of the guy to suggest something in his peculiar twisted way that doesn't strike you as too intrusive but as insult? "Take it or not is up to you"
Basically He's a cockney cucumber with a bloody sharp tongue.

when his band only released one album with songs ranging from three chords in a pile a dust to three chords in a pile of dust is simply taking the piss.

No shit! His post pistols works are awfully great. PIL has released lots of musically wide and remarkable albums.
I personally prefer them to that Malcolm's great rock n' roll swindle.

Remember the shirt Tommy was wearing on  RIR show? (Hey guess what? I'm still on topic!.....sorta Cheesy)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2005, 02:44:28 PM »

Agree on what?

I'd agree Lydon's comments to be relevent to Axl's situation today if they were spoken
by Axl recently.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point though..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2005, 03:00:11 PM »

watch PPBEBE-she's a cockney cucumber with a bloody sharp tongue-albeit, a little hard to understand sometimes! I'm going to remember that one "cockney cucumber".... hihi
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2005, 03:21:26 PM »

watch PPBEBE-she's a cockney cucumber with a bloody sharp tongue-albeit, a little hard to understand sometimes! I'm going to remember that one "cockney cucumber".... hihi

Yep, a bit hard to interpret sometimes but that's ok, I dig her posts nonetheless.

"cockney cucumber" is an absolute classic Grin

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2005, 08:26:50 PM »

Yeah, no I myself sometimes can't make out what "she" is bloody saying.
Hard cheese! hihi
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2005, 08:40:03 PM »

BHs solo on night train blows always slashs. How can you even claim that no solo BH did tops slashs?

As for them sounding different they are not going to sound exactally the same but you strip Axls vocals and no one would know that it wasnt the old band playing.
Sorry dave but I would know anytime that it wasnt the old band playing.

I really dig Slash's solo in Nightrain, but I think not only Bucket, but the new band improved the song a bit. But not as much as My Michelle. I think Bucket did an awesome solo here, way better than Slash's one. Slash is still my fav, though. His solos on November Rain were awesome live, while I don't like the new band playing it. Same with Rocket Queen (with Izzy, of course).

But I don't agree with COma when he says Robin and Bucket uses many effects. Both used pretty much only delay/compressor/distortion/wha on GNR (Bucket used whammy sometimes, but the other stuff was only to his solo number). Same effects Slash used. The new guys don't need "tricks" to play GNR songs.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2005, 09:08:22 PM »

Sorry dave but I would know anytime that it wasnt the old band playing.

I really dig Slash's solo in Nightrain, but I think not only Bucket, but the new band improved the song a bit. But not as much as My Michelle. I think Bucket did an awesome solo here, way better than Slash's one. Slash is still my fav, though. His solos on November Rain were awesome live, while I don't like the new band playing it. Same with Rocket Queen (with Izzy, of course).

But I don't agree with COma when he says Robin and Bucket uses many effects. Both used pretty much only delay/compressor/distortion/wha on GNR (Bucket used whammy sometimes, but the other stuff was only to his solo number). Same effects Slash used. The new guys don't need "tricks" to play GNR songs.

The solo in both versions sound pretty much the same style. My point my holds true that you guys bash robin and BH for not playing the songs and solos just like the album when slash never did either.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2005, 09:11:08 PM »

I agree  that Bucket nailed that solo; I really appreciated the contributions he made to a number of the old tracks. I don't enjoy Finck's work on the old songs as much; he butchered a large number of solos. If it were Bucket in his place, I think alot of the new band's problems would evaporate.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2005, 09:31:45 PM »

The solo in both versions sound pretty much the same style. My point my holds true that you guys bash robin and BH for not playing the songs and solos just like the album when slash never did either.
Wow! Are you sure you read my post? I NEVER bashed Robin and BH! In fact, I love Robin, love his playing, love his sounds! I even made a version of The Blues trying to play like him.

Please, read again my post. Or maybe you quoted my post for mistake?

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2005, 09:41:41 PM »

Wow! Are you sure you read my post? I NEVER bashed Robin and BH! In fact, I love Robin, love his playing, love his sounds! I even made a version of The Blues trying to play like him.

Please, read again my post. Or maybe you quoted my post for mistake?

Yes I quoted you by mistaken. I meant people in general on this board, diss BH and Robins solos because they dont sound like the album versions but slashs never did either.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2005, 10:32:54 PM »

fink blows & deepdown everyone knows it! The absolute worst guitar solo I've ever heard at a proper concert in my life was performed by robin finck prior to SCOM at the Moline, IL show in 2002. An absolute head scratching, crowd killing,  piece of shit solo. There's no way whaxl can ever tour as GNR with fink on lead guitar & it seems like he knows this.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
AxlRoseVen
Drink Til U Drop
Banned
VIP

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2005, 07:04:04 PM »

this a very elaborate thread for either bashing the current lineup or bashing scott.

To each his own, debating a ranking system for "coolness" of each member, you might as well try and argue religion with someone.

the first time when I came to this forum I made a tread like this but it was closed unfairly!  Angry
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2005, 05:44:17 AM »

It's strange that the mods haven't closed this thread. Anyway, since you all have created your 'dream line-ups', you can realize that all of you forgot about chemistry. Nu-GN'R is very weak when they're playing the old songs but they could be good with their own material since it's a very different band and the players' influences and style are nowhere near to the old ones'. (That's why Axl shouldn't be milking the Guns N' Roses name.) Brain is a better player than Sorum, but Brain is simply terrible on the old songs, he can't play them well. Fortus plays what he has to play if it's not to complicated he could have played as a tour musician for GN'R even in the old days. He's a professional session musican, nothing more, nothing less. Tommy's much more creative but he's not Guns N' Roses, not at all. Robin Finck... well, music for the deaf. Axl has an amazing talent in writing vocal melodies, he was the greatest frontman the world has ever seen, but now.. I don't know. His work on some of the new songs are brilliant (CD, Blues, Madagascar), but he has lost the power of his voice, he lost the lows, the raspy sound and can't handle the old songs. I hope he'll regain these when he really begins to work and tour, he'll always be my all-time favourite singer.

And VR... Scott is an amazing frontman but he's nowhere near to Axl in creativity. Dave is a sideman, I think he has a bigger role in GN'R musical direction than a lot of people think, he's not 'earth-shattering'. Matt is a very godd rock 'n' roll drummer and he became a strong songwriter, too, but there are better players in the music business. Duff... He's a very precoius player, makes the band thick, and he plays a decisive role in every band he plays, I mean he doesn't write much music, he's not 'artistic' but his work and presence is irreplacable in every band he plays. Dizzy... IMO GN'R has never needed a full-time keyboard player, he's a good conga player though. And Slash... he's the best guitarist ever in my opinion. A lot of guys can play faster than him, but... why? He is the man, his soulful and creative playing is so unique, noone can beat that, although I preferd his Snakepit works over VR.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2005, 06:43:37 AM »

It's strange that the mods haven't closed this thread.

I was on a holiday when I heard about this thread. I thought it was a joke at first, but obviously some people enjoy comparing two bands like this.

So go on, compare and rate. If that's what you want.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2005, 05:56:55 PM »

It's strange that the mods haven't closed this thread.

I was on a holiday when I heard about this thread. I thought it was a joke at first, but obviously some people enjoy comparing two bands like this.

So go on, compare and rate. If that's what you want.

/jarmo

You should just sticky this thread and put all the VR vs Gnr threads here, so they might just die.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: