Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The weirdest GN'R related thing ever just happened to me...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The weirdest GN'R related thing ever just happened to me...  (Read 4115 times)
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« on: July 21, 2005, 01:04:30 AM »

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but here goes.

I drop my girlfriend off and I'm on my way home. I switch the radio on and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is on, so awesome, I turn it up. When it comes to the second verse, I decide to sing the extra lyrics from the Days Of Thunder version just for the hell of it, so imagine the look on my face when I realized THAT WAS THE VERSION THAT WAS ON THE RADIO. I nearly swerved off of the road because I have never heard this version on the radio before ever.

Anyone else ever hear this version getting airplay?

-Jeff

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 02:15:37 AM »

Ive only ever heard the UYI version - apart from these other lyrics, is there a difference ie. is it a different musical take?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
awhellzno05
Headliner

Oh no! Oh no! "Oh Yeah!" - Kool Aid Man

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 08:16:07 AM »

I would really like to hear that version also.

The Devil hates a loser
Dust N Rose
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 09:58:31 AM »

You said it's in that movie called "Days of thunder" ?
I guess it's like the original but with extra rylics, right?

About the strange stuff:
Well, I had my birthdays a few days before and I was out in a small island for vacations when I heard 5 gn'r songs in a row (including one in a million and so fine) from a local pub. Nothing really weird though  Smiley
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 10:13:40 AM »

Burning hills, that is cool, I haven't heard that version on the radio since before UYI's came out.  ok

For everyone who wants to hear it, look in your local bagain bin at a used music store for the days of thunder ST. I got mine a couple years ago for $3.

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 01:55:12 PM »

It was definitely an interesting experience...especially considering most radio stations are automated now except for when the DJs do their on-air breaks. It made me wonder why the station director decided to add that version to their rotation, especially when all they've ever played to my knowledge was the UYI version.

Hell, I didn't know anyone outside of the GN'R fanbase knew that version existed  Wink

And to the person who asked what the differences are - there's extra lyrics in the second verse, and our good friend Steven Adler is on the drums.

I prefer it to the UYI version, but that's just me. I never really understood why they re-did it with Sorum, especially since Steven drums on "Civil War"

-Jeff

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 02:45:29 PM »

It was definitely an interesting experience...especially considering most radio stations are automated now except for when the DJs do their on-air breaks. It made me wonder why the station director decided to add that version to their rotation, especially when all they've ever played to my knowledge was the UYI version.

Hell, I didn't know anyone outside of the GN'R fanbase knew that version existed? Wink

And to the person who asked what the differences are - there's extra lyrics in the second verse, and our good friend Steven Adler is on the drums.

I prefer it to the UYI version, but that's just me. I never really understood why they re-did it with Sorum, especially since Steven drums on "Civil War"

-Jeff

Steven really didnt drum for civil war. Axl had to piece together like 100 of sessions from steven just to get it up to par for the album.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 03:38:35 PM »

I've got an awful lot of bootlegs and stuff but I actually never listened to that Days of Thunders version! What are the "extra lyrics"?

god of thunder
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 03:49:22 PM »

Actually I have heard another version with extra lyrics as well some months ago on german radio station "Rock Antenne". Unfortunately they did not reply my e-mail but I guess  it must have been then Days of Thunder version...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 04:13:31 PM »

I cant believe most of you guys haven't heard that version before. I guess most of you people are newer fans. The people who have been fans since the beginning definitely remember this song, because it was played on the radio constantly for about a year. Since most of you are from Europe or other countries, maybe that's why you haven't heard it. Its possible that it was only released in the United States. Plus the movie sucked. The only things its remembered for is the GNR song and its when Tom Cruise met Nicole Kidman.

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 05:15:04 PM »

I havent even  listened that version...

@;--,-----,---.--------
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 09:56:20 PM »

I drop my girlfriend off and I'm on my way home. I switch the radio on and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is on, so awesome, I turn it up. When it comes to the second verse, I decide to sing the extra lyrics from the Days Of Thunder version just for the hell of it, so imagine the look on my face when I realized THAT WAS THE VERSION THAT WAS ON THE RADIO. I nearly swerved off of the road because I have never heard this version on the radio before ever.

chinese democracy starts ...... ahhh .. nevermind.  Smiley

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 11:16:57 PM »

I cant believe most of you guys haven't heard that version before. I guess most of you people are newer fans. The people who have been fans since the beginning definitely remember this song, because it was played on the radio constantly for about a year. Since most of you are from Europe or other countries, maybe that's why you haven't heard it. Its possible that it was only released in the United States. Plus the movie sucked. The only things its remembered for is the GNR song and its when Tom Cruise met Nicole Kidman.

been a fan since 88 dude and have never heard it

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 02:42:45 AM »

I heard kohd from days of thunder on pirate radio from L.A. at that time KNAC was playing don't cry (demo version) which was around the time that the romanian angel appeal album came out with civil war in it which I bought right away........it was 1990 I believe............the the the amazing uyi came out with arnold on the video.....gnr was like the biggest thing made by the best stuff on earth!!!!

It was probably me asking if there was any difference in the drumming.....because I don't recall any difference besides the extra lyrics......

I think my weirdest experience gnr related thing that happened to me is that I was in a shopping mall in Encino, CA. and I entered a record store when suddenly I look to my left there was to my eyes what looked like axl rose.......................................I almost fucking faint and drop whatever was in my hands!!! I had to look again to realize it wasn't him....fuck my heart stopped for a moment.

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
Rhythm-n-Booze
Headliner

Nice shoes.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 03:46:57 AM »

I have heard that on the radio stations in Pittsburgh before.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 06:38:21 AM »

I've got an awful lot of bootlegs and stuff but I actually never listened to that Days of Thunders version! What are the "extra lyrics"?

I listened to the CD to check and the extra lyrics are the following (spoken a bit in the background) :

"Mama put my guns to the ground"
It wasn't their fault

"I can't shoot them anymore"
How were they even supposed to know?

"That cold black cloud is coming down"
All things can be healed in time

I can't make out what he says after the last sentence. It's completely covered by the music. Maybe someone can help  Huh

I didn't notice any other difference.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 01:28:07 AM »

you mean drums are exactly the same?Huh

what does it mean so its steven playing on kohd or it was already matt???

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
badapple81
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 01:32:02 AM »

The old 'extra lyrics' version is regulary played on the radio here.
Dust N Rose
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 05:03:02 PM »

Who knows what else we, the newer fans still don't know  Shocked
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 09:37:44 PM »

you mean drums are exactly the same?Huh

what does it mean so its steven playing on kohd or it was already matt???

The drums don't sound any different to me. Maybe it was already Matt playing. After all, he had just arrived in the band when they first recorded it.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: