Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 01:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Did AXL say something when OMG was released ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did AXL say something when OMG was released ???  (Read 3768 times)
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 08:43:53 PM »

Jimmy, his 'monkey' comment was just more mindless ramblings. Just like 'Blame Canada' and 'Round One'. I've always wondered: What made Axl go off the deep end? He always seems to make such odd statements. The one that wins the prize of most idiotic comments is: "Live your life. If it doesn't come out, you wont have missed a thing". If that's true, then why did he hype it, and why did he tour?

the one that wins it is the one who reads into what people have to say n' judge everysingle fuckin' word that they say....kinda sad dont you think hihi

just leave him alone man, its ok, we'll get through this yes

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
badapple81
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 09:09:29 PM »

Jimmy, his 'monkey' comment was just more mindless ramblings. Just like 'Blame Canada' and 'Round One'. I've always wondered: What made Axl go off the deep end? He always seems to make such odd statements. The one that wins the prize of most idiotic comments is: "Live your life. If it doesn't come out, you wont have missed a thing". If that's true, then why did he hype it, and why did he tour?

'Blame Canada' was just Axl being light hearted. As for the monkey comment, you've obviously decided it's mindless before even thinking or asking.

Yeah, it is funny, and you just helped prove my point. If only 1000 people like a new GNR song, it quickly fades away into irrelevancy

Uhmm, he said 70% of people in a poll, that doesn't mean 1000 people liked the new song. Again, was it ever intended to be relevant, it was a song for a soundtrack filler, period.

Interesting point you made about Dave before twisting facts to only see one side.. looking familiar..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:11:32 PM by GunnerDownUnder » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 10:45:36 PM »

I loved OMG. The opening riff reminds me of Good, Bad and the Ugly. The chorus with the disco beat is hypnotic. Lyrically, it is a mess, but much like Axl's mind.  It remains a gift to the fans and not something meant for digestion by the public.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 11:11:57 PM »

it's an ok song, not up to the standards expected from a new GN'R song though.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 12:16:44 AM »

I love the lyrics for oh my god. They are quite good.

IT'S NOT AS YOU'RE THINKING
AS YOU'VE IMAGINED
TO LIVE IN A SHADE OF
BELIEFS THAT WERE FASHIONED
LEAVE YOU IN SLAVERY AND DRAIN OUT YOUR SOUL
WHAT CAN I DO WHEN THERE'S SO MANY LIARS
THAT CRAWL THROUGH YOUR VEINS
LIKE MILLIONS OF SPIDERS
THAT SEEK OUT THEIR VICTIMS AND WHO IS THE WISER
WATCH OUT
GOTCHA ?

Oh my god
 I can't deny this
 I've been taught just to kill and fight this
 To bury it deeper where nobody can find it
 Like nobody wanted to know

So give it away
 Like they're not gonna fuck you
 How long can you bend
 To come back and haunt (hurt?) you
 To burn past your feelings
 That cause you to suffer
 You're starting to bleed
 They don't discover
 Before its too late
 What will you offer
 In way of? healing
 I'm so confused, abused, misused

Oh my god
 I can't deny this
 Cause nobody wanted to know

Ooh, if it opens your eyes
 This is better than a strong compromise
 I was willing to be lost in the shuffle
 If only you had let me know
 This is better than the last compromise
 I was willing to be lost in the shadows

And they wont give in
 Cause they know what they?ve got
 A kick in the face
 Like its all that would matter

Oh my god
 I can't deny this
 I've been taught just to murder and fight this
 To bury it deeper where no one can find it
 Cuz nobody wanted know

This is better than a good compromise

Ooh, well it's on with the show
 Like the tides out on the ocean
 The waves already set in motion
 The only one in the game whose lost is you

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2005, 01:03:05 AM »

I love OMG.  I think it's a wonderful song.  Personally, I would have been disappointed if the new material sounded too much like Appetite or UYI -- and I'm not dissing any of the previous work in favor of the new work -- I'm just saying that there really is something WRONG (my opinion) when an artist cannot find some sort of progression.  Art is NOT about being well received commercially, it is about an expression from the artist, and if the artist is just churning out the same expression again and again with very little change -- he/she lacks the CREATIVITY and the SOUL to be able to progress from one stage to another.

I realize that OMG was a major disappointment for many fans who expected Axl to make WTTJ part 2.   

But Axl has progressed as an artist,  his band has changed, and  the music should reflect those changes rather than serve as a trip down memory lane.  If that's what you want, go see a tribute band.

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2005, 01:05:55 AM »

surely there is more behind the comment than just "mindless ramblings"?

can anyone offer an interpretation?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2005, 02:39:08 AM »

I wasnt to exited with the studio recording for End of Days, the lyrics are ok/good but it was a bunch of noise really.
I kinda dig the song in the faster but more cleaner version they played in Rio, it was more rocking than noisy.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2005, 03:34:36 AM »

I think a lot of the fans who dont like OMG are close minded fans who wont like anything that doesnt sound like AFD.

OMG possesses some of the greatest lyrics ever in a GNR song.

people just arent able to give it a chance.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 03:37:58 AM »

I love the lyrics for oh my god. They are quite good.

IT'S NOT AS YOU'RE THINKING
AS YOU'VE IMAGINED
TO LIVE IN A SHADE OF
BELIEFS THAT WERE FASHIONED
LEAVE YOU IN SLAVERY AND DRAIN OUT YOUR SOUL
WHAT CAN I DO WHEN THERE'S SO MANY LIARS
THAT CRAWL THROUGH YOUR VEINS
LIKE MILLIONS OF SPIDERS
THAT SEEK OUT THEIR VICTIMS AND WHO IS THE WISER
WATCH OUT
GOTCHA ?

Oh my god
 I can't deny this
 Like nobody wanted to know

So give it away
 Like they're not gonna fuck you
 How long can you bend
 To come back and haunt (hurt?) you

To burn past your feelings
 That cause you to suffer
 You're starting to bleed
 They don't discover
 Before its too late
 What will you offer
 In way of? healing
 I'm so confused, abused, misused

Oh my god
 I can't deny this
 Cause nobody wanted to know

This is better than a strong compromise
 This is better than the last compromise
 I was willing to be lost in the shadows

And they wont give in
 Cause they know what they?ve got
 A kick in the face
 Like its all that would matter

Oh my god
 I can't deny this
 I've been taught just to murder and fight this
 To bury it deeper where no one can find it
 Cuz nobody wanted know

This is better than a good compromise

Ooh, well it's on with the show
 Like the tides out on the ocean
 The waves already set in motion
 The only one in the game whose lost is you

I always thought the first bold part said

How can u beg them to come back and haunt you

and the second bold part is

they wont give in cause they know what their after

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 06:43:08 AM »

OMG is a damn great song! I really like it! And this "it dont sound like appetite" thing?? Why should it! Its not like Axl wanna make the same album! Well, he have rerecorded it, but i damn hope he wont release it! Consentrate on the new stuff Axl! And we WILL love it!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 07:50:51 AM »

Duff and Matt were right. The song had zero potential. It disappeared from the radio in the blink of an eye, turning a possible 99 GNR re-emergence into a joke. Good job, Axl!

It wasn't even released as a single therefore wasn't supposed to get excessive radio play. There wasn't supposed to be a '99 GNR re-emergence'.

Maybe not a '99 re-emergence, but I think 2000 was planned to be the year. Shortly after the release of OMG, the new album title was revealed and Axl did a conversation with Kurt Loder. In early 2000, he even premiered several tracks to Rolling Stone! It's even said he did hand out an album at the time, but the record company said something along the lines of "you can better".

Had they only known....   rant

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2005, 08:26:08 AM »

Its a fun little tune. I don't think anyone (even Axl) thought it was going to take over radio or reinstate GnR as a household name, but its a cool tune. I'd have rather seen Oh My God than the new band trying to desperately to make another Welcome to the Jungle.
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2005, 09:15:02 AM »

I have something to add about OMG from the Vegas December 29, 2001:

- I can't remember either before or after GNR performed OMG (during which Axl stormed off the stage because of recurrent microphone troubles and Tommy took over, Axl said something to the effect that the record company "took" OMG for the "End of Days" soundtrack because it was one of the few semi-finished tracks he had. This contradicts the praise he heaps on the song in his press release "Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'" I thought that was a "cop out" on Axl's part due to the bad press it had received. However, I do recall it got a good review in Time Magazine. I actually think the song is pretty good. Grin
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2005, 12:37:11 PM »

Axl always said oh my god was a demo. It was never finished to his liking but the label needed it for the movie. I dont see how Axls quote contrdicts anything.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2005, 04:52:02 PM »

Axl always said oh my god was a demo. It was never finished to his liking but the label needed it for the movie. I dont see how Axls quote contrdicts anything.

You might be right. Nonetheless, I think most people would interpret the "all over it" to imply that both he and the other band members think highly of this song. However, after the song is out for a couple years to rather scathing reviews, he claims that it wasn't realy finished. Yet, the details in the press release would suggest otherwise; the song had been exhaustively produced.

If what Axl says about the record company taking OMG from him when it was incomplete is true, it would give him good reason for him to keep as many people in the dark about his progess on Chinese Democracy lest his work get stolen again before it is complete. He might even record the vocals at home - separate from the band parts for further protection. Just speculation . . .

Anyway, the lyrics are killer. I like OMG. I think it is AFD with a modern punch.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2005, 07:35:11 PM »

Jimmy, funny how you toss aside my 'mindless ramblings' and expect someone to tell you what it really means. No one has. Why? Because the comment makes no sense whatsoever. Something about the 'Round One' line that is funny: Everyone says Axl had no plans in 2002-03. Then why did he mention a 'Round One'? In the real world, Round One is always followed by Round Two. Something I always wondered about that comment: Did he mean to say it, or was it just a spur of the moment comment?

Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2005, 08:24:08 PM »

Dave that's kind of silly. The labe didn't get anything Axl didn't want to give. I agree with you that I don't think OMG was finished, but I do think Axl expected people to get more excited about it. That's why it got released.

By the way, one of the things I've probably said most since I've been on this board, the best part of OMG is the band. The weakest part is Axl. That riff is monster. The lyrics are so-so, but the vocals themselves add nothing and actually cover up the music, which is the strength. I wouldn't be surprised if the chilly reception OMG got was one of the reasons Axl's waited so long and been so cautious with the album.

I've seen enough.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2005, 11:45:24 PM »

Jimmy, funny how you toss aside my 'mindless ramblings' and expect someone to tell you what it really means. No one has. Why? Because the comment makes no sense whatsoever. Something about the 'Round One' line that is funny: Everyone says Axl had no plans in 2002-03. Then why did he mention a 'Round One'? In the real world, Round One is always followed by Round Two. Something I always wondered about that comment: Did he mean to say it, or was it just a spur of the moment comment?

uh-huh , ok dude
I can follow what 'round 1' means or might have meant, but 'dive in and find the monkey' or whatever he said, is not a phrase I'm familiar with, hence the request that someone might have an idea.
essentially you're saying that Axl was talking crazy, non-sensical gibberish? ... well it's a possibility, granted

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2005, 03:25:26 PM »

Me have never heard of that monkey either. I'd love to read or hear the exact words before I make a federal case out of the monkey.
Anyone?
You might be right. Nonetheless, I think most people would interpret the "all over it" to imply that both he and the other band members think highly of this song. However, after the song is out for a couple years to rather scathing reviews, he claims that it wasn't realy finished. Yet, the details in the press release would suggest otherwise; the song had been exhaustively produced.

If what Axl says about the record company taking OMG from him when it was incomplete is true, it would give him good reason for him to keep as many people in the dark about his progess on Chinese Democracy lest his work get stolen again before it is complete. He might even record the vocals at home - separate from the band parts for further protection. Just speculation . . .

Anyway, the lyrics are killer. I like OMG. I think it is AFD with a modern punch.
Ditto to the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. I'm yet to be convinced of Axl's Almighty, Johnny.
I'm all over OMG as well.

Lets take the case of IRS. It's obviously an early demo of shitty quality but most of us are all over it, no?
likely enough Axl just gave a bit of background info on the song and that's that.
We actually hear another version on RIR.
The Suspicion of "Cop-out" should be given consideration if they had not played the song at all due to the press.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: