Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:10:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  THE TRUTH about GN'R [NO, ONLY AN OPINION]
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE TRUTH about GN'R [NO, ONLY AN OPINION]  (Read 6497 times)
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »

there is no "old" or "new" music, there is good and bad music.
Besides, look at what's happening in Rock: for 2 or 3 years, there have been a reminiscence of the 60's/70's retro Rock with bands like the white stripes, the strokes, etc.. and they sell lots of records and have a good success. Your argument is not valid.

IRS sounds absolutely modern, and it's awesome the way it is.

Yeah, I mostly agree with you. I was talking more on the impact it could have had in the music industry and older skeptical fans in general, had it been released in '99 when IRS was mostly written. Now the song is almost a novelty item..not really showing what GNR is about today.. but instead 6 years ago.
purplehaze1988
Rocker

nur ihr konnt holland stoppen

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 03:14:46 PM »

I wouldn't say that just because Axl won't be releasing Madagascar, IRS or The Blues as singles means that they aren't the strongest songs. Look at the list of singles from UYI:

Don't Cry (Original) | Live And Let Die | November Rain | You Could Be Mine | Knockin' On Heaven's Door | Yesterdays | Civil War | Estranged

Would you say that Yesterdays was one of the strongest from that album? GN'R also made videos for The Garden, Dead Horse and Garden of Eden. Now these songs were ok, but compared to some of Izzy's songs or Don't Damn Me, Locomotive etc I wouldn't say they were album highlights.

It has to be said that overall the choice of singles wasn't exactly brilliant for UYI (even Estranged wasn't releases until '93, when it was all over).

Maybe it will be the same for Chinese Democracy.

I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 03:38:36 PM »

Someone told me that the other psychic said IRS was not even in their best 10.... Shocked

And This psychic is as genuine as Mysteron..... Cheesy
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 10:35:53 PM »

He has probably realized that doing a GN'R's record (including the songwriting process) without Slash and Izzy is something very difficult, maybe even impossible.

I was willing to give your post a chance until I got to this line. However I disagree so much with that statement it's unreal. I (like everyone else here) love AFD and most of the UYI albums but it is ridiculous to say it is nearly impossible for Axl to continue without Slash and Izzy. You mention the songwriting process but I honestly believe that 'The Blues' and 'Madagascar' are two of the best written songs by Axl and better than a lot of the songs on UYI, these songs alone prove that Axl is fine without Slash & Izzy as long as he is surrounded by other talented musicians (Buckethead especially). After hearing Contraband (Which is good but not great)  I would say Axl is better off without Slash, lets face it he's nowhere near as good as he was and Axl wants to really push the GNR sound (Buckethead is the man to help him do that). I think Slash needed Axl more than Axl needed Slash, that's my point.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 01:15:21 AM »

GNFNR, I actually agree with that statement. While GNR will never be the same without Slash and Izzy(mainly Izzy), Axl definitely has the potential to take this thing to a new level. The Blues proves it. It is an incredible song, and only extreme talent could come up with those lyrics. The same can be said for IRS. Axl ofers us a glimpse into his paranoia and megalomania, and its truly fucking brilliant. CD is pure genius too. While using China as a cover, he sings about us and offers cryptic warnings about this album never coming out.

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 10:36:26 AM »

If CD hasn't been released yet it's because the songs recorded so far aren't good enough.
It's upto the fans to decide, if the songs aren't good enough, so release the fucking cd already...

Fuck 'Em All.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 10:56:16 AM »

It's upto the fans to decide, if the songs aren't good enough, so release the fucking cd already...

Wrong. Depending on the level of investment and expectations for success by the label , how good the songs are , or rather if they are "good enough" is a choice the record label can and will make. Many bands turn in what they think is a finished product only to have the label "send it back" for re recording.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 12:54:24 PM »

Wrong. Depending on the level of investment and expectations for success by the label , how good the songs are , or rather if they are "good enough" is a choice the record label can and will make. Many bands turn in what they think is a finished product only to have the label "send it back" for re recording.

Interesting story.? John Mellencamp (then known as John Cougar) sent "American Fool" to the record company as a release in 1980.? They flatly refused to release it and told him the content was not good enough for commercial release and he'd need to rerecord it, scrapping just about everything (including two notable songs) on it.? Mellencamp refused and what ensued was a bitter battle between Mellencamp and the label with neither side willing to budge.? Finally, the label agreed to release the record in 1981 but refused to invest any money in promotion of any kind.

You might recognize the title of the album.? It produced 2 HUGE hits, "Jack and Diane" and "Hurts so Good", and was widely given great reviews by both music critics and fans.? It didn't hurt that it sold like gang busters, either.? It was the album that did SO well, it allowed Mellancamp to drop the "Cougar" nomer, which he hated and the label had saddled him with and adopt Mellancamp, instead (though, for a few albums, he was "John Cougar Mellancamp" to help diffuse any confusion).? Essentially, this album was a HUGE turning point in John's career....and the label thought it was garbage.

So, while the label does get some say in what they want to release....their opinion isn't exactly always a good indication of quality or even commercial sucess.

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
madagas
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 01:01:19 PM »

The Wilco scenario as well. Label rejected Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and dropped the band. Another label picked them up and it ended up being their most successful record-both commercially and critically. If Axl has not been communicating with Interscope/Geffen/Uni, then there could be problems when he turns the finished record over to the label. The absolute best documentary to watch on interpersonal band member relationships and band/record label relationships is that Wilco documentary. It is superb. peace
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 01:05:37 PM by madagas » Logged
Gunna_girl01
Rocker

ROCK AND ROLL A WAY OF LIFE

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 08:58:53 PM »

This could be something some fans are not gonna accept easily, but you should better face the truth instead of fooling yourselves. If CD hasn't been released yet it's because the songs recorded so far aren't good enough.

Some people explain the delay by Axl's "perfectionism". They aren't totally wrong, but they aren't right either : Axl has realized that the material recorded so far isn't as good as AFD or even UYI. He has probably realized that doing a GN'R's record (including the songwriting process) without Slash and Izzy is something very difficult, maybe even impossible. (Can you see Mick Jagger doing a Rolling Stones' record by himself ?)

The situation right now is not that bewildering. It's not so hard to understand : Axl isn't satisfied with what he and his new band have done. And it is certain that the Geffen's side feels the same... (Not too much commercial potential in Silkworms, IRS, Rhiad or OMG, Geffen's bosses know that).

There is nothing special preventing a release, like emotional troubles or stuff like that. Axl may have mental problems (depression) but they are a consequence of CD being not good enough, they are not the reason for the delay. There is one thing that Axl really hates : failure. He prefers no release at all than mediocre sales or artistic failure.

Believe what you want, but as CD hasn't been released in 2005, I don't see why it would be in the future. Dark days ahead my friends, unless radical changes are made in GN'R's line-up... Axl, surrounded by yes-men (like D. Goldstein) lost the track at a certain point in the '90s.

A reunion wouldn't mean a defeat for Axl : if he succeeds in convincing Slash, Izzy and Duff to come back, he would pull off a master stroke !

Only his old friends could help him to bring Guns N'Roses back to life.

Peace.

/CHRISTOS[/b][/i]

there is nothing to say that the songs arent good enough... they proberbly are good but AXL is a perfectionist and he likes everything to be spik and span.. he isnt going to relise an album when he thinks that he could have improved it...

you get good albums and you get the bad... if he thinks that this cd isnt as good as AFD then i would say that it is just his head... we are going to see CD in a totally different way to wat he is...   i have been waiting for 5 years ( scince i was 12) for this album to come out... and no matter how different it is i am still going to love it. i will cherish every single song recorded on that CD....

[quote/]
Axl may have mental problems (depression) but they are a consequence of CD being not good enough,
[quote/]

THATS FUKIN BULLSHIT !!! 

if you know anything about AXL you would know his childhood, you would know every twist and turn he has been through in his life... Even I have had depression, for 5 years infact!! So dont tell me that  his depression is not a good exuse for the cd being delayed...  rant

and YEAH its fukin coming mate i have no doubts... wether its this year or the next it's coming and it's gona take the world by storm... wait and see

LIVE IT LOVE IT CHERISH IT
FOR ROCK AND ROLL
IS MY LIFE
KOK
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005, 09:18:26 AM »

In my opinion Axl just doesn`t want to be in the spotlight any more.  He tried to live a rock n roll lifestyle once more in 2002, but he probably didn`t enjoy it as much as he thought he would. So after the MSG show he just said fuck it and returned to his normal life.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2005, 09:47:37 AM »

In my opinion Axl just doesn`t want to be in the spotlight any more.? He tried to live a rock n roll lifestyle once more in 2002, but he probably didn`t enjoy it as much as he thought he would. So after the MSG show he just said fuck it and returned to his normal life.

After the MSG show he made a last attempt to act like a big rock 'n' roll star: he wanted to go to a 'no fur' club while he was wearing fur. They didn't let him in, so he gave up this whole rock 'n' roll circus.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2005, 10:42:17 AM »

In my opinion Axl just doesn`t want to be in the spotlight any more.  He tried to live a rock n roll lifestyle once more in 2002, but he probably didn`t enjoy it as much as he thought he would. So after the MSG show he just said fuck it and returned to his normal life.

After the MSG show he made a last attempt to act like a big rock 'n' roll star: he wanted to go to a 'no fur' club while he was wearing fur. They didn't let him in, so he gave up this whole rock 'n' roll circus.

Once again : RUMOUR  (unless you qualify what the New York Post write as facts).

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2005, 12:00:18 PM »

hmmmm interesting, I never thought of it in that way.   I know Axl by what I have read has had his moments not wanting to perform and definitely keeps a low, pretty much non existent profile but maybe you have a point.  Maybe he came back and it was too much for him.    I can't fully swallow that but tis an interesting opinion none the less.  We will see, if he never comes back then that could be one of the reasons.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2005, 12:23:22 PM »

Good point, but Axl can release CD without living the rock n roll lifestyle. He can release CD, and still sit in his mansion.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2005, 12:48:37 PM »

Good point, but Axl can release CD without living the rock n roll lifestyle. He can release CD, and still sit in his mansion.

Yes, he can do that but then what would be the point of the new band?  If that was to happen, I guess they would be paid and sent on their merry way Undecided  that would suck for them and for us.

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2005, 01:01:42 PM »

DTJ, I actually think its the most likely scenario. I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I just cant picture him trying to pull off another tour. We'll be lucky if GNR even do SNL, Tonight Show, etc. to promote the record. I think it will be released with little promotion on Axl's part. Interscope will probably promote the shit out of it, but thats about it. I hope he tours, so those of you who never seen Axl live will get the chance, but I highly doubt a tour will happen.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2005, 01:15:02 PM »

DTJ, I actually think its the most likely scenario. I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I just cant picture him trying to pull off another tour. We'll be lucky if GNR even do SNL, Tonight Show, etc. to promote the record. I think it will be released with little promotion on Axl's part. Interscope will probably promote the shit out of it, but thats about it. I hope he tours, so those of you who never seen Axl live will get the chance, but I highly doubt a tour will happen.

James, I think you may be flamed for this Wink   

Seriously,  sometimes I can see how it would point to that scenario.   Axl did do the VMA's but even in that making of the VMA's the producer that was interviewed, he was so afraid to scare Axl off.   It's kind of true what you say about him pulling off so many appearances and a tour with the head producer of the VMA's worried about scaring him off or more so, pissing him off too.
I hope that is not the scenario but it's hard not to think that could be a possibility that he will not tour but ofcourse this is all speculation on our parts.

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »

It will be interesting to see who will back a GNR tour. Axl is such a high risk, there wont be many people jumping at the chance. I cant even imagine what the insurance costs would be.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »

James, what are you fucking crazy?  No tour?  That's horse shit!  Just kidding, I can definitely see this happenning.  I can see them doing a few select shows, festivals, shows in the major markets (NY, LA, Chicago) but that's about it.  Axl has made himself hard to sell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: