Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Interview w/ Paul Stenning (Author: The Band Who Time Forgot)
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview w/ Paul Stenning (Author: The Band Who Time Forgot)  (Read 5897 times)
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 07:48:42 AM »

It's actually out already. Got it for ?2.99 at HMV on Oxford Street in London.
Really only ?2.99? Is it very short or something that seems like a bargain price.
Elrothiel
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 06:07:06 PM »

I really liked the book... (I haven't got the revised one, just the old one) Yea sure, so what it didn't have that much new information, and just to make sure he wasn't leaving anything out that the Gn'R camp had told him not to put in, I emailed him, and I got very friendly reception. The guy's for real, and IMO, a really good writer.
Heh... and what he said is what I've thought all along: The old band didn't want to move forward, and Axl got frustrated with them, and they either left or got fired.
And for once there was an author writing a Gn'R book who didn't try and make Axl look like an egotistical maniac! What a breath of fresh air that was! I read the whole thing in a day... and I remember I couldn't read it in the morning because I had a stinking hangover... hihi and the next day I started college. I couldn't put it down though, so nerr to all you naysayers!
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 06:31:25 PM »

Im considering ordering this now. i love rock biographys and there have been some pretty good ones over the years written on Guns.

Ive read:

Mick Walls one - The most dangerous band in the world ( I think thats what it's called) - this was a really good read, basically a selection of interviews conducted but an amazing insight into the band
Danny sugerman - Appetite for Destruction - the Days of Guns N Roses (this was fairly abstract, and it seemed that Sugerman was more interested in writing another Doors biography, but I still enjoyed.)
I cant remember the other one I read, but i think it was called 'Off the wall'Huh anyways, it was the best one I'd read and was fairly objective if not rather critical of Axl and Slash. Anyway, it was a great read

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 07:44:57 PM »

I cant remember the other one I read, but i think it was called 'Off the wall'Huh anyways, it was the best one I'd read and was fairly objective if not rather critical of Axl and Slash. Anyway, it was a great read

Wasn't it "Over the top : the true story of Guns N' Roses"? That one is one is the best written GN'R books, if not THE best.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 07:48:13 PM »

Wasn't it "Over the top : the true story of Guns N' Roses"? That one is one is the best written GN'R books, if not THE best.

Was that the one with all those really cool, and pretty rare, color photos?  I remember one that basically closed with some shows in England during the Skin N' Bones leg of the UYI tour.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Ali
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »

I really enjoyed Paul Stenning's book. Very good read and very interesting. I'd like to read the newer edition too. Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 07:51:59 PM »

Was that the one with all those really cool, and pretty rare, color photos?  I remember one that basically closed with some shows in England during the Skin N' Bones leg of the UYI tour.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Ali

Yes, that's the one.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 07:52:39 PM »

Yip thats the one Pandora, that's the best one Ive read.

Just ordered my copy of "The band that time forgot" ?Smiley
4-6 weeks shipping from U.S to New Zealand though ?Undecided
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 08:47:25 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

Axl4Pres
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 08:54:37 PM »

From what i can take out if it hey atleast it wasnt something that Axl and his entourage tried to squash in court.  But i do like this guys take on it and is unbiased i have not read the book but certainly might look into it as im always interested in reading about GnR whether its stuff i know or stuff i didnt know and getting someone whos been able to talk to people about this whole GnR saga.
snooze72
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 03:50:27 AM »

Well the big downside to the first one was the printing errors that occurred. Many gave the book a poor review because of it but it was an unfortunate accident in the printing process, certain things were done that made it look like I couldn?t spell or write, which I strongly refute!

"printing errors!"? rofl? Must have been why he got all those facts wrong, too!?

(And yes, the author does 'type' the book.? It would have been handed in on a disk, proofed and edited -- which obviously didn't happen).?
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »

THanks Gigger, I enjoyed reading that interview.  It great to hear why Paul Stenning wrote the book and his feelings about Axl, GNR and Velvet Revolver, Chinese Democracy and the album release. ok

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »

cool interview, thanks! ok

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2005, 08:12:47 PM »

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy the first edition, it's just not very good.  Factual errors, poor writing and endless psychoanalysis make for quite the boring read. 

Hopefuly the updated edition is vastly improved.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2005, 08:25:52 PM »

Since nothing has happened in the GNR world except the 'IRS' leak, I cant imagine there being any updates. Just the errors could be changed, but nothing new to bring to the table. This guy just wants to make more money off the GNR name. I'm not falling for it.

jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 10:08:11 PM »

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy the first edition, it's just not very good.? Factual errors, poor writing and endless psychoanalysis make for quite the boring read.?

I wholeheartedly agree. Read my amazon review of the book below...

I saw this book just last week sitting at a bargain price and picked it up, having never really seen a "true" GNR biography before.

I'm quite a big fan of the band, but everything I know about their history etc. has been pieced together from various interviews/articles over the years, so I was excited to finally see a conglomerated attempt to document the band's history.

In essence there is nothing wrong with the intention of this book, and it may indeed prove to be a very good and informative read for a casual GNR fan. For the more "experienced" fan, the book just does not do the band justice.

My personal opinion of it is that it focuses way too much on Axl Rose, and his traumatic childhood. It comes across in a way that the author is almost trying to psycho-analyse every GNR lyric, and every quote, and relate them to Axl's personal problems.

Of course the task of writing a well-balanced GNR biography is never going to be easy given Rose's somewhat reclusive nature, I just think that there is more relevant information out there that could have gone into this book other than the chapters full of psycho-babble that at times make you question what book it is you are actually reading. There is as much star quality, and just as many interviews and anecdotes from the other original band members (Slash, Duff and Izzy in particular) aside from Axl Rose, which makes this book feel rather lop-sided.

Another qualm that has already been mentioned is the sloppy amount of spelling and grammatical errors that are present. Various quotes and pieces of information are sometimes repeated from one chapter to the next, giving the impression that each chapter was written by a different person, after which they simply threw them all together in this final, somewhat random order.

The above complaint aside, this might have been better if it was under the guise of an Axl Rose biography, but as a biography of the life and times of the GNR we all know and love, it falls some distance short I'm afraid.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 05:35:01 PM »

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy the first edition, it's just not very good.? Factual errors, poor writing and endless psychoanalysis make for quite the boring read.?

mmm.. I wish I'd taken your advice. I received my copy that I ordered online on Friday and am about 2/3s through it.

I have to say, it is a very poor read and not just for the endless grammatical and spelling errors not to mention the appalling use of non related quotes.
The main gripe I have with it, is that it paints a very distorted picture of what went down IMO. It reminds me of some of the more Axl-biased posts on this board in parts.
The most shocking and absurd example being the brief mention of Izzys exit in 1991. according to the author, Izzy left because he was basically lazy - not wanting to contribute to songwriting or live shows, not to mention he was undisciplined because he couldnt deal with the rampant drug taking and boozing around him.

No mention whatsover of Axls lateness or no-shows as a factor, nor his marginilastion in terms of Axl wanting him to sign a contract, the out of control egos etc..

To cap it all off, the author implies that the fans didnt really care that Izzy had left as he wasnt really an important member...

mmm... very dubious writing, a big disappointment

avoid like the plague I say

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: