Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Interview w/ Paul Stenning (Author: The Band Who Time Forgot)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview w/ Paul Stenning (Author: The Band Who Time Forgot)  (Read 5913 times)
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: July 12, 2005, 12:17:44 PM »

I'm going against my usual policy of not posting things from sp1at onto other forums because I thought this interview was particularly interesting and thought all Guns n Roses fans would want to read it whatever their opinions of the site may be. *cough* Pandora *cough*

1. Describe Paul Stenning in 3 words.

Obsessed with music.

2. What inspired you to write "The Band That Time Forgot"?

Many things really. The original book I was scheduled to write for the publishers at that time was a Cradle Of Filth biog, which I didn?t particularly want to do. The publisher then changed his mind and wondered who he could possibly find to write a Guns' book, thinking I might not be interested because I'm mainly a metal fan. But I jumped at the chance because out of all time favourite bands Guns' are right up there with my other desert island artists?

The way I approached the story is to write the basic tale of how the members got together but also to do it in a way no one else had ever done. Whatever anyone thinks of the book they would probably concede I achieved that. It might not be to everyone's taste but I think it's important to explain the problems Axl faced growing up, and also the way he lives his life now because those factors are vital to the Gn'R story. But above all else I grew up with the band and like every other true fan I just want them to get it together and put out a new record; this book is something to tide fans over with the telling of the whole saga, including what has taken 'Chinese Democracy' so long and the tale of that entire process.

One thing that since popped up in forums and reviews is the meaning of the title. For the record I did not write the book to coincide with the ?Greatest Hits?, the book was written full stop, if anything it was to coincide with the possible release of ?Chinese Democracy? but this wasn?t guaranteed so it?s virtually irrelevant. The reason for the title is simple, Guns? have not released any new material since 1999, and even then it was just one song. Time had forgotten the band before the re-release of videos and a shoddy ?hits? package, time is a very relevant word when referring to Axl, so I hope fans understand. They should also appreciate I am not suggesting WE, the fans have forgotten them, merely time itself. Time is of no consequence to Axl Rose, hence the title.

3. You have a revised edition coming out later this month, what's new in the book?

Well the big downside to the first one was the printing errors that occurred. Many gave the book a poor review because of it but it was an unfortunate accident in the printing process, certain things were done that made it look like I couldn?t spell or write, which I strongly refute! So firstly there should now be no errors of this type in there and the whole thing should flow a little better. I've added a few anecdotes and stories along the way, and updated the 'Chinese Democracy' section, as well as included a section on Buckethead (shame he left the band just after it went to press!)

But the main addition is a chapter on Velvet Revolver. Everyone agreed that although it certainly isn?t Guns N' Roses, for now it?s the next best thing and the story linked in with Gn'R because for sheer relevance you have to include what Slash, Duff and Matt are up to in 2005.

4. The "blurb" on Amazon US states that Chinese Democracy is due out this year, was that information you were told by someone you spoke to or is that based on the very active rumourmill surrounding the album?

It's nothing to do with me but as you say the rumours are signalling this year so the publishers are probably going with that. Having said that the first edition was meant to go alongside the album, or at least just before it, and that didn?t happen.

5. Which former or current band members have you interviewed for the book? Did you ever try and speak to Axl?

Believe me I tried to reach Axl but there is no human way possible (short of flying to L.A. and stalking him) to get through to him, past all the suits, minders and people who are doing a very good job of protecting him. It makes sense to me that they're doing that, but unfortunately the 1% of people who want to talk to Axl and are not psychopaths or stalkers or indeed harmful (quite the contrary in fact), and just want to get the real version of events from him, are also pushed out by the protectors. Once I couldn?t get hold of Axl I decided that unless I could get Slash and/or Duff then it wasn?t worth doing interviews. I had Steven Adler and Gilby Clarke lined up but had to decline to use them because of an incident with Slash's publicist. I'll get to that in a minute, but let me just explain that I did not want to put out an unofficial book without it being balanced. I'm a very impartial person and like to cover every side of a story so with only one or two peoples' input it didn?t seem fair to me, especially as most would have an aversion to Axl and that would then create just another typical Axl Rose slagging platform.

Anyway, thanks to Slash's publicist (Arlett Verleecke) my plans to talk to Slash were scuppered. Because she thought I was associated with Mick Wall (which I'm not nor ever have been) she was incredibly rude and nasty with me when all I was trying to do was get the real events from Slash. That seriously changed my opinion of Slash, having this parasitic leech working for him, Axl I can understand but Slash hasn?t got much to really protect or hide. Has he?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 12:32:42 PM by gigger » Logged
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:17:54 PM »

6. Did you try and speak to Merck Mercuriadis, or any Sanctuary or Geffen workers for your book?

I did and the upshot was no one knows what's going on, at either label! They barely know how to get in touch with their own artist, and though they were helpful, they seriously couldn?t tell whether Gn'R was even still on their label. It's obviously not their fault, they're just holding out in hope for this album they've funded for years. Once I realised how clueless they all are I decided I would do it all myself.

7. Would you say that you are more of an Axl Rose fan than a Guns n Roses fan? What are your views on Velvet Revolver?

That?s a good question and I understand why you are asking it, but in all honesty I would not say I'm more of an Axl fan. The first thing I was drawn to in 1987 was the music and it remains the prominent factor in why I like Guns N' Roses. However I do believe that in 2005 and since the mid nineties Axl IS Gn'R and probably now will always be. In truth once UYI came out it was pretty clear it was starting to become a one-man show. Not because the other members could not contribute, but because Axl is a visionary and the others were too caught up in the trappings of, er, rock n' roll decadence and more basic music. There's a place for both but with Gn'R I think Axl is rightly carrying the can. So, in direct answer, for me the two are synonymous and have been for a long time. I love the whole aura and what I believe is a deep down wonderful personality of Axl the man so on a personal level I think he is awe-inspiring, from the huge source of information I have about him. Yet, as a music fan and journalist I am certainly able to separate personality from band output. If Axl and Gn'R come out with a record that sucks I won't love it just because it's Axl. But then, when has he ever put out a record that sucks?

Velvet Revolver took a long while to sink into my psyche. At first I hated the whole idea of them and didn?t think Scott Weiland really belonged with such a batch of musicians. He has a lot of talent but it's a different form of talent to Slash and Duff and as such I couldn?t see how he could possibly match their vision. Yet to his credit the album is a great rock record and they do compliment each other well. It's inevitable they will be compared with Gn'R but they are truly a separate entity.

8. Did you get the chance to hear any of the new material whilst writing your book?

I did and although they are poor quality live versions (in terms of sound not performance) I think they prove the material Axl is working on will be the best ever. I would love to hear the finished studio version of 'Madagascar' because I think that has the potential to be the greatest rock song in modern times, I'm getting goosebumps just writing about it.

9. Was there any attempt by people in the Guns n Roses camp to block the release of the book?

You'd think there would have been wouldn?t you?! But strangely, and mercifully enough there hasn?t been. You know I think one of the reasons is because I have portrayed the band truthfully and with integrity which no other journalist has ever done before. I don?t consider myself a rock writer above being a fan of music, I always prefer to print the words that come out of an artist's mouth directly, and maintain a good relationship with any band. I'm not in this field to stir shit or find a big story, that doesn?t interest me. I seek to display the truth to those who want to read about a new band or a band they already like. It's my belief anyone surrounding Axl who has seen the book realises it. In some magazines it got bad reviews and I'm really not surprised, because the mainstream music press cannot handle a tome that gives Axl Rose a good name, and portrays him respectfully and truthfully. It's far too easy to slag people off and drag their name through the dirt, but the people who have done, and continue to do this to Axl have one thousanth of his talent and I'm pretty sure these days it doesn?t bother him anymore. If someone slags my book off I don?t take it personally, it's just another slur on the Gn'R name and I now empathise even more with what it must be like to put out an integral product and have it slated. Fuck these people, the book is written for the true Guns' fan and that?s why I'm delighted I've had so many people write to me telling me how much they enjoyed it. That is really who I wrote it for, fans who believe in Axl and the band and I think anyone associated with them sees that. Either that or the book is so miniscule on the grand scheme of things that they don?t give a shit!

10. Rumours currently suggest that the album will come out in the last part of 2005, do you think we'll see it this year?

No probably not. I find it amusing when the typical Gn'R detractor says it will never come out, but then there is that nagging doubt right in the back of my mind that almost can see that happening. I'm 80% certain the album will come out at some point, but I expect it to be 2006 or even '07. Any longer than that and I would be surprised if the band were given any more money or attention from a record company. Then again, Axl is probably contracted to put something out so what that will be I have no idea, let's hope it's 'Chinese Democracy' with all the tracks that have been played live so far and many more classics. A UYI deal would be the best thing and would make up for lost time in many ways.

Note from Paul - "I'm happy to receive any email from fans asking questions about the book or whatever: czechzebra@yahoo.com"
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:36:49 PM »

I actually think it's a pretty good interview, with thoughtfully worded questions. So you see, you can do it (sometimes) !  ok

The writer strikes me as being an honest fan, and I appreciate his efforts to remain impartial on delicate subjects. Too bad he couldn't obtain that much new information.

I must say I didn't find the book to be too bad. It's not the best music biography of the century, but certainly not the worst either.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 12:42:25 PM »

I actually think it's a pretty good interview, with thoughtfully worded questions. So you see, you can do it (sometimes) !? ok

It's considerably easier interviewing someone who isn't bound by various contractual agreements ensuring they can't talk about the things you want them to talk about.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 12:50:15 PM »

3. You have a revised edition coming out later this month, what's new in the book?

It's actually out already. Got it for ?2.99 at HMV on Oxford Street in London.

Thanks for posting the interview.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 12:51:51 PM »

great interview. Sp1at is the best GN'R website.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 12:54:59 PM »

/jarmo

Is it?

Amazon UK says it's to be released 31st July.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1842403141/qid=1121187776/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/202-7961472-0508641
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »

to those fans who have bought the book...is it worth it? being that mostly everyone here ia a hardcore fan what did you think of the book and is it worth grabbing?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 01:16:37 PM »

/jarmo

Is it?

Amazon UK says it's to be released 31st July.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1842403141/qid=1121187776/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/202-7961472-0508641

I have my copy here so I think so.

Here's a scan:

to those fans who have bought the book...is it worth it? being that mostly everyone here ia a hardcore fan what did you think of the book and is it worth grabbing?

You're not gonna learn anything new by reading it. If you want to read the author's version of what happened and that's enough, then get it. If you want to learn new things about the band, you can probably find out most things by reading the articles available on this site.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 01:27:47 PM »

Wow, ?2.99 is a good deal ! The first version was considerably more expensive on Amazon.

It's also a good thing that they corrected the punctuation mistakes. The original looked like the author had never heard of commas or something  Undecided

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »

Wow, no one at either label knows what is going on? this sounds darker than we ever thought. I dunno about this album being released anytime soon. This author definately doesn't think so.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »

the book was pretty crap then and i doubt too much will have changed.
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 05:30:19 PM »

I thought it was a pretty good read actually! It seemed a bit more balanced and unbiased than a lot of shit that has been thrownaround over the years! Also quite an interesting interview with Paul Stenning I thought!

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 05:31:20 PM »

Wow, no one at either label knows what is going on? this sounds darker than we ever thought. I dunno about this album being released anytime soon. This author definately doesn't think so.

yip, i was pretty disheartened by those comments - 2006 or perhaps 2007? Axl sure wasn't kidding with the "live your life" and "soon is not the word" spiels

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 05:49:43 PM »

7. Would you say that you are more of an Axl Rose fan than a Guns n Roses fan? ....

That?s a good question and I understand why you are asking it, but in all honesty I would not say I'm more of an Axl fan. The first thing I was drawn to in 1987 was the music and it remains the prominent factor in why I like Guns N' Roses. However I do believe that in 2005 and since the mid nineties Axl IS Gn'R and probably now will always be. In truth once UYI came out it was pretty clear it was starting to become a one-man show. Not because the other members could not contribute, but because Axl is a visionary and the others were too caught up in the trappings of, er, rock n' roll decadence and more basic music. There's a place for both but with Gn'R I think Axl is rightly carrying the can. So, in direct answer, for me the two are synonymous and have been for a long time. I love the whole aura and what I believe is a deep down wonderful personality of Axl the man so on a personal level I think he is awe-inspiring, from the huge source of information I have about him. Yet, as a music fan and journalist I am certainly able to separate personality from band output. If Axl and Gn'R come out with a record that sucks I won't love it just because it's Axl. But then, when has he ever put out a record that sucks?

Great interview! Thank you for sharing.  ok

I particularly enjoyed the above excerpt.

And his comments on Madagascar were very exciting to me.  Cheesy

I also believe he was dead on with this comment:  "the mainstream music press cannot handle a tome that gives Axl Rose a good name, and portrays him respectfully and truthfully..."     

I think I'd like to read something from someone who recognizes this.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 08:33:22 PM »

thanks for posting this.. pretty interesting read!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 09:01:40 PM »

Wow, ?2.99 is a good deal ! The first version was considerably more expensive on Amazon.

It's also a good thing that they corrected the punctuation mistakes. The original looked like the author had never heard of commas or something? Undecided

Those are not the authors fault, they are the editors. I am sure the author didn't type the book.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 10:17:40 PM »

yeah, I agree.
the interview was better than the book Tongue

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 06:11:46 AM »

It's also a good thing that they corrected the punctuation mistakes. The original looked like the author had never heard of commas or something  Undecided

Those are not the authors fault, they are the editors. I am sure the author didn't type the book.

I know. That's why I said "looked like" he had never heard of commas.

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 06:16:38 AM »

yip, i was pretty disheartened by those comments - 2006 or perhaps 2007? Axl sure wasn't kidding with the "live your life" and "soon is not the word" spiels

did he actually speak to merck? to me it sounds like he spoke to some spokesmen of sanctuary or geffen who really know nothing. as merck said a while ago, only axl, him and the studio engineer are in the know about anything.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: