Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 03:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228111 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  bumping of old threads and personal chit chat in the threads
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: bumping of old threads and personal chit chat in the threads  (Read 10187 times)
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« on: July 10, 2005, 11:49:21 PM »

question..   i've noticed a lot of bumping up of threads that are months old
some resulting in further contribution to the thread topic...
but some just were pointless...    why bump a thread just to say its a dumb thread?  dumb threads die... so why bring 'em back to life just to say they're dumb?!
anyhow... what are the rules, if any...   about bumping old threads

thanks

i believe there is a rule about staying on topic and i understand there is a lot of flexibility on this... but  i've noticed a lot of chatting in threads that contributes nothing towards the thread - and the posts which were on topic are buried beneath the chit chat or in some cases wisecracks and jokes being fired back and forth for no reason other than to amuse the poster or the other poster who is going at it with them

i know we can all come here to have fun and everyone doesn't have fun the same way....
but it just seems plain wrong to ruin threads... to shit on the flow of a discussion for the sake of a one liner
i'm not saying a 'one iner' is wrong in and of itself.. . i've enjoyed quite a few here on the boards...
but seems that some posters don't have a proper sense of when to let it go... and further responses just build up until the thread is basically broken..  after threads turn to sillyness no one wants to bother with it anymore

anyhow, what's up with this also?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:04:30 AM »

Since I am one of the people u are referring too Ill say this.

We do the silly shit BECAUSE a thread is either pointless or finished.

u will never see joking or silliness in a hotly debated serious,important thread.

Whats with everyone complaining here lately anyway?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 06:22:40 AM »

I dunno...maybe somethings wrong and people have noticed?

....or maybe its a plot by the enemies of the free world! Shocked

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 06:26:02 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, bumping old threads shouldn't be allowed unless you've got something really important to add to the conversation.

And as for the chit chat, I'm sure you know what my position is. But hey, when we ask people to stay on topic, we get called humourless dictators, so I guess not everyone is ever happy  hihi

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 06:39:43 AM »

i kinda feel the same way. people keep being agressive. mods fight backs and are agressive too.
it's crazy.
we've all gone mad or what Huh
ahaha
it's like in Big Brother, we've been in the same house for too long waiting for that damn album, we'll end up killing everybody ?
Smiley

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 06:54:47 AM »

i kinda feel the same way. people keep being agressive. mods fight backs and are agressive too.
it's crazy.

If enforcing very simple rules is being aggressive, then I guess we're being aggressive.

Believe me, if those rules didn't exist or if no one respected them, you wouldn't even want to visit this forum because it would be a total dump. That's what we're trying to avoid.

I admit the level of insults has reached an all-time high lately, and we're trying to solve that situation. 

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 09:12:41 AM »

it's crazy.

If enforcing very simple rules is being aggressive, then I guess we're being aggressive.

Believe me, if those rules didn't exist or if no one respected them, you wouldn't even want to visit this forum because it would be a total dump. That's what we're trying to avoid.

I admit the level of insults has reached an all-time high lately, and we're trying to solve that situation. 

yes, i understand. i'm sorry if i particaped in this all-time high, i guess i was stressed out like everybody here Smiley
it's just that mods shouldnt respond to "attacks" like members do. they should be the "adult one" you know ....
overall, you're all doing a good job.
except for you, i hate you Grin

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 09:54:29 AM »

urm...Hang about.

Define bumping? Posting merely to get a thread back to the main page, or; posting in an old thread? Both definitions I feel come under the term 'bumping'...

...In my experiecne, surely the latter is only encouraged?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 11:04:43 AM »

I dunno...maybe somethings wrong and people have noticed?

....or maybe its a plot by the enemies of the free world! Shocked

I think its a bit of both. Bad money is trying to drive out good.

I don't think eva is reffering to the ppl like D as far as D is not Disgust 15.
MCT
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 12:13:33 PM »

u will never see joking or silliness in a hotly debated serious,important thread.

Donnie, I think you're safe here. So why you feel compelled to defend yourself in a situation where board unity (core members) gives you protection, I don't quite understand.

Besides, you're adding fuel to a fire (certain people propagating doom & gloom as of late) that would be way less of a pain in the arse if left to burn out on its own.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 01:41:26 PM »

People have made a big deal about rehashing existing threads and people have stated:

Why didnt you use this thread etc etc etc

So if people are using the search engine and finding the existing topics and bringing em back why do we have a thread like this?

I personally havent seen much joking around here lately either.

I just dont want this board to turn into an uptight stuffy monotonous soulless lifeless board.

This board is great cause like a Stephen King novel you get to know all the characters so well they feel like family.

most other boards you dont get that personal connection with which is a big reason this board is so many's favorite.

Just dont change what has worked is all Im saying.

Railantics
Headliner

[Nothing to say] STUN! [/Nothing to say]

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 01:47:10 PM »

This board is great cause like a Stephen King novel you get to know all the characters so well they feel like family.

I suppose it is, ha, I like it, a mate of mine is called Stephen King.

Let the music do the talking.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 05:10:33 PM »

Thanks, D. "I'm your #1 Fan!"

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
MCT
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 07:16:52 PM »

Point taken Donald. But I don't think anything is gonna change. So just keep truckin'... ok

EDIT - D = Fingercuffs? I thought Alyssa was Fingercuffs... Huh
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 08:25:50 PM »

Thanks, D. "I'm your #1 Fan!"

No Annie Wilkes!!!!!!!!!! Im your number 1 fan like that fat bitch from misery! hihi hihi

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 11:34:52 PM »

:lol...   i wasn't referring to you in particular... not at all.  nope. 
but, thanks for proving my point.  hihi
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 11:40:49 PM »

People have made a big deal about rehashing existing threads and people have stated:

Why didnt you use this thread etc etc etc

So if people are using the search engine and finding the existing topics and bringing em back why do we have a thread like this?

I personally havent seen much joking around here lately either.

I just dont want this board to turn into an uptight stuffy monotonous soulless lifeless board.

most other boards you dont get that personal connection with which is a big reason this board is so many's favorite.

Just dont change what has worked is all Im saying.

D...   Cheesy  I totally thought of that - people bumping old topics because they searched them.   I actually have NO problem with the bumping when someone has something to ADD to the coversation - what i specifically referred to was bumping a topic just to say it was dumb.... or post a smiley only post.

and one of the reasons I have always liked this board is because the topics for discussion usually don't turn into chats and complete sillyness.... not until recently IMO.
different strokes for different folks.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 02:47:38 AM »

I just dont know why people are complaining.

I personally have been doing the same shit for the last year or so, When a thread breaks down or is just stupid to begin with, I insult my cat loving friend Kujo and the lovely beautiful cross dressing SLC punk.

Its kinda like the gong show.

when a thread is pointless or has ran its course, it gets the big ole gong and we start doing whatever to entertain ourselves and whoever else gets our humor.

I dont see anything drastically different on the board as opposed to when I first joined it.

people are just starting to get their feathers ruffled all of a sudden.

I just wish people would relax, chill out, have a good time, go post in one of the 8 war threads we have and just realize that nothing much has changed.

Jarmo and the mods are a little slower on the Ban trigger, u dont see people getting banned as much anymore, but thats not a bad thing.

this board is still the best and ran very efficiently, I just think everyone is overreacting.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 08:08:59 AM »

Jarmo and the mods are a little slower on the Ban trigger, u dont see people getting banned as much anymore, but thats not a bad thing.

That's because it's more quiet now. So instead of maybe having to band one person per day, it's down to maybe one in two weeks...

As soon as Axl does something, we'll get a bunch of people here that'll call us asskisssers, stupid and sad. Those are usually the ones that get banned quickly. Since Axl hasn't really done anything lately, we get less of those people....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 09:06:20 AM »

- people bumping old topics because they searched them.   I actually have NO problem with the bumping when someone has something to ADD to the coversation - what i specifically referred to was bumping a topic just to say it was dumb...

is dump n nasty.
Yep, The search is a handy function to find info. but I think that Dude didn't need to make a search for the oldest page.  That thread was the last one.

Whatever the intention, bumping the innocent topic of a year and half ago to dump on it is not friendly.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: