Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 10:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  For all the people that complain Axl doesnt have that rasp in his voice anymore
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For all the people that complain Axl doesnt have that rasp in his voice anymore  (Read 13640 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« on: July 09, 2005, 06:15:07 PM »

For all the people that complain Axl does not have that ?rasp? in his voice anymore.  When people complain about this it sometimes boggles my mind.  Axl NEVER had the rasp in his voice until he blew out his voice in the early 90s.  Just listen to the shows from the 80s like the Ritz for example or listen to AFD. Axl does not have a rasp in his voice.  The rasp is a defect in his voice.  Now listen to HOB, that is how a healthy voice should sound.  If you take Axls voice from a 80s show and a show from 2002 they are pretty similar just Axl is older.  So we should really hope Axl does not get that rasp back because that means his voice is screwed up again.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 06:18:53 PM »

maybe we like the rasp.  ok  Healthy or not.  peace

BaDoBsEsSiOn418
Rocker

Yowza!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 06:19:35 PM »

I just think some of the original GN'R songs don't sound the same because Axl's voice has changed. ?Take YCBM for instance. ?When he used to get to the "I think we've seen that movie too....OWWWWWWW", now it sounds like "ah". ?It's just weaker.

Why's everybody so obsessed with the album?  Can't you just be happy that Axl gets to hang out with rich fashion designers? -MotherGooseLuvR
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »

I just think some of the original GN'R songs don't sound the same because Axl's voice has changed. ?Take YCBM for instance. ?When he used to get to the "I think we've seen that movie too....OWWWWWWW", now it sounds like "ah". ?It's just weaker.

Listen to the UYI II version, his voice is clean with no rasp. On the 2002 tour he song it the same just an octive higher or just higher.? I for one think Axl sounded like crap with the rasp. Id much rather take Axls voice for lets say SCOM from France (ppv) than from toyko (dvd).

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 06:30:10 PM »

Dave,

? Great post! ?I actually struck up a conversation with a speech therapist/pathologist at work yesterday and we talked about Axl's voice. ?The conclusion? ?Axl's higher, cleaner voice on the '02 tour is completely intentional. ?It's done on purpose. ?It allows him to sing without losing his voice, hence, he didn't have to cancel shows...(alright, cancel shows because of voice problems Smiley ) ?The tell-tale sign of Axl losing his voice would be not being able to hit the high-notes, which HOLY SHIT he does so very well. ?Great timing for this post Dave!

?I didn't understand the whole esophageal technique of adding air volume she talked about, but it's obviously something that trained singers can do. ?

?I don't know if it was from Argentina '93 or Paris '92, where I couldn't believe the force and power behind a 20.2 second-long note being held. ?It blew my friggin mind, maybe it was Patience? ?Anyone know? ?Or how 'bout '02 tour's Live and Let Die from Boise I think? ?Un-f'in-believable!!!

-Axl4prez2004 ? beer ? ?drool

PS  I just saw some posts saying you like the rasp...you've gotta understand, your larynx can only stand so much abuse!  Trust me, in the studio, he can afford to go for broke, rasp and all.   peace   On the boots you're hearing songs where he could be performing 2 or 3 times per week...that's not sustainable for a tour.

? ?

?

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 06:36:30 PM »

My friend who is a professional singer (well not paid to sing but is professionally trained) she told me a lot about axls voice and told me some stuff like  you just talked about. She said that he was singing from his  diafram very well or something to that effect. She was suprised at how high he can sing.

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 06:58:06 PM »

I hope he blew out his voice while recording democracy so it's all raspy again.  ok

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 07:07:02 PM »

The rasp is the reason most people that hate Axls voice complain about. They say his rasp sounds like a cat in? a blender. I want Axls voice clean and clear not all fucked up. Just listen to IRS or those studio clips or even SCOM big daddy its all clean and no rasp.?? Plus he never had that rasp on any of the studio albums.
The rasp is bad for  your voice and severely messes up your vocal chords.

http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/studiocuts-newgnrdotcom.mp3
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/Axl-sweetchildnew-newgnrdotcom.mp3
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 07:09:25 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 07:12:47 PM »

Thats why I like most of the live shit better .. that rasp is golden!! Hopefully all those cigars he smokes are ripping the holy fuck outta his vocal chords!  beer

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 09:48:33 PM »

Dave u are dead on.

after watching some 2002 boots I was like damn his voice his higher,clean and a bit different sounding.

I went back and listened to some songs off AFD and realized that is how his voice sounded on that album

Axl still has the power when he wants it

people dont realize that Axl is in the process of recording so when the 2002 started he sang in a way as to not destroy his vocal cords again.

Im sure he can still sing with that down and dirty snarling growl when he wants too cause there are moments from 2002 when he does, the opening WTJ scream, the LALD screams.

He still has it even if he doesnt use it as much on the tour.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Sev
Opening Act

Gunner

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 09:54:45 PM »

I don't like it when he goes full-on rasp, though I like it in moderation.  I didn't like some of the performances in the UYI DVDs because he sounded way too raspy on a few of the songs.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 09:57:18 PM »

Thats why I like most of the live shit better .. that rasp is golden!! Hopefully all those cigars he smokes are ripping the holy fuck outta his vocal chords!  beer

Why the hell would you want him to blow his vocal chords out so he cant sing and cancell shows once they start touring?  Huh
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 02:30:04 AM »

I think he does the rasp thing as part of the live performances. No big deal...

Fuck 'Em All.
jthunders13
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 02:49:24 AM »

axl's voice, overall is much clearer and clean during the 2002 tour than during 87-93. but listen to the difference in madagascar at rio, then the 2002 tour. i think axl holds back at some points, i think the album will tell the full story.
0lorin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 07:25:36 AM »

The best example is the Dont Cry 86 demo, his voice is as crisp and clean as nowadays.
 I think the best live performance I've heard from  him is one from the Ritz in 87, I've only heard Jungle, paradise city, sweet child and dont cry from that gig but it is the greatest I have ever heard.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 07:39:03 AM »

axl's voice, overall is much clearer and clean during the 2002 tour than during 87-93. but listen to the difference in madagascar at rio, then the 2002 tour. i think axl holds back at some points, i think the album will tell the full story.

exactly.  the live scenario is so much different than the studio circumstances.  there's so many reasons i'm looking forward to CD...  drool  drool  drool
but, more than anything i want to hear Axl sing his heart out...
i'm sure the vocals will be fuckin' amazin'  ok
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2005, 08:57:44 AM »

Why the hell would you want him to blow his vocal chords out so he cant sing and cancell shows once they start touring?  Huh

I could care less about tours. I just wanna see the album.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »

His IRS voice is the best ever.
Me, damn fussy one says it's
"Breathtaking". drool
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 01:44:32 PM »

While I prefer his voice with the rasp, either way is fine with me ok

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 01:47:19 PM »

His IRS voice is the best ever.
Me, damn fussy one says it's
"Breathtaking". drool
If the whole album contains so great vocals, it will blow the world away. One of the best Axl's vocals on a song EVER.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 01:49:00 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: