Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:19:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The mixing/mastering of CD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The mixing/mastering of CD  (Read 10242 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 12:16:38 PM »

It's hard to define what "overproduced" means - it can be a matter of too many tracks layered, but more worryingly, it's when there is too much of a studio sheen with the flaws, accidents, rawness and human-ness removed
What happens then is that music can sound soul less or "elevator-like"

Listen to Linkin' Park they are "overproduced" and "polished", that is the best definition I can give.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2005, 01:08:46 PM »

but you can't really compare, seeing as linking park sucks and all, whereas guns n' roses do not.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2005, 02:01:01 PM »

but you can't really compare, seeing as linking park sucks and all, whereas guns n' roses do not.

I was just stating what I thought overproduced sounds like, even the distortion that linkin park uses sounds clean, personally i don't think UYI's sound "overproduced" (it's a stupid term anyway)

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2005, 02:22:13 PM »

If IRS is the only new song that intrigues you, man, I just don't know what keeps you around here.  There's got to be something else...

Well, there's allegedly 70  songs in the can so the possibility/probability of higher quality tunes than Maddy or The Blues is reason enough to hang around, don't you think?

I also want to see if Axl can bring it creatively, see his vision through with a finished record and tour.  I  enjoy Fincks inclusion in the band as well and would like to see if he and Axl can be a formidable artistic duo.

I'm afraid you maybe disappointed with CD then.  I don't think this will be a modern AFD.

I'm not looking for a "modern AFD", I'm fearing UYI 3...

As for mixing/mastering. send the fucker to Andy Wallace and let him do his magic.

I for one enjoyed UYI I and II save for the countless filler on the album.  I would appreciate more songs of the caliber of Estranged, Nr, Breakdown, and Yesterdays. Also, I am a realist and don't expect another incarnation of AFD, nor do you.

I don't exactly know what you are anticipating with this album; but you have made it clear what you don't want to hear. I think there will several songs that won't interest you. Just a prediction though. Hell, even speculating that any of us will hear these songs is a prediction.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2005, 02:53:11 PM »

I don't exactly know what you are anticipating with this album; but you have made it clear what you don't want to hear. I think there will several songs that won't interest you.

I'm positive there will be things I'll absolutely cringe at like The Blues or Maddy but I'm sure there will be others that spark serious interest like IRS and possibly CD.?

I will always prefer focus and direction to aimless musical meanderings, (surely to be passed off as diversity by the myopians amongst) and I'll never lose objectivity based on the artist himself.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 05:21:45 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2005, 06:25:14 PM »

You'll cringe at 'The Blues'?? Man, thats funny! Its amazing how some people think 'Riyadh' is God's gift to this earth but will cringe at such a beautiful, heartfelt song. 'The Blues' is one of Axl's best written songs. He's offering us a glimpse into his state of mind. As far as Riyadh is concerened: Its been 3 years, and I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an intelligent post about what that song is about.

blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2005, 06:51:25 PM »

After seeing the boston version of the blues on video a 100times.  I find it hard how any idoit could not like that song its fuckin awesome and it would go #1 today and the next thing u know ur god damn mom's would be singing the song.   Anyways that song is fantastic!

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2005, 07:05:21 PM »

You'll cringe at 'The Blues'?? Man, thats funny! Its amazing how some people think 'Riyadh' is God's gift to this earth but will cringe at such a beautiful, heartfelt song. '

Absolutely. 

Ryiadh makes me cringe as well, just in a less embarrassing way...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2005, 07:18:22 PM »

blasphemer, you're absolutely right. When CD comes out and the reviews are in, I think 'The Blues' is gonna be a major highlight of the album, possibly surpassing these so called 'big guns'. if you've ever loved somebody and they left you/shit on you, or have ever been obsessed or infatuated with someone, you can really relate to this song. This song is very original, I take it as like an anti-love song. Its definitely not the type of song to be played at proms and weddings. It will be played in your room, while drowning in your tears and sorrows, because the person you love doesnt love you anymore, or never loved you to begin with.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2005, 08:07:26 PM »

The blues (studio version) may become a classic.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2005, 08:16:12 PM »

The blues (studio version) may become a classic.

I do love The Blues.. I can't wait to hear a studio version of it.  Even if it's not in Axl's mind one of his big guns, I think it would make a great single. ok

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2005, 08:41:33 PM »

blasphemer, you're absolutely right. When CD comes out and the reviews are in, I think 'The Blues' is gonna be a major highlight of the album, possibly surpassing these so called 'big guns'. if you've ever loved somebody and they left you/shit on you, or have ever been obsessed or infatuated with someone, you can really relate to this song. This song is very original, I take it as like an anti-love song. Its definitely not the type of song to be played at proms and weddings. It will be played in your room, while drowning in your tears and sorrows, because the person you love doesnt love you anymore, or never loved you to begin with.

absolutely. if chinese democracy keeps the same high standard as the blues and madagascar, we are in for something huge, believe me. those two songs alone out-class about everything that's out there today.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2005, 07:11:29 PM »

Bring on the ac/dc inspired songs!!!

Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2005, 10:18:39 AM »

Bring on the ac/dc inspired songs!!!

I second that. I hope at least some of the songs on CD are fun to listen to (I don't mean that in a 'joke' sense, but an album of ballads would do my head in)

Here today...ready to rock
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2005, 06:50:56 PM »

Im hoping for a good serving of diversity
Some straight up classic, but modern sounding rockers
Some epic ballads
Some mid tempo bluesy classics
Some experimental tracks or sequences

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2005, 07:14:40 PM »

Im hoping for a good serving of diversity
Some straight up classic, but modern sounding rockers
Some epic ballads
Some mid tempo bluesy classics
Some experimental tracks or sequences

sounds like a good follow-up to use your illusion to me. Cool

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2005, 07:17:47 PM »

yip, hopefully less the filler and more cohesive though
But youre right, I do see CD as being a continuation of UYI and what we've heard of it so far does nothing to dispell that notion

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2005, 08:08:09 PM »

I hope for that as well, but if the scenario mentioned below plays out we will get nothing of the sort.

...I do see CD as being a continuation of UYI and what we've heard of it so far does nothing to dispell that notion

It's exactly what I fear the most...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2005, 08:38:55 PM »

I hope for that as well, but if the scenario mentioned below plays out we will get nothing of the sort.

...I do see CD as being a continuation of UYI and what we've heard of it so far does nothing to dispell that notion

gotta agree there falcon,

Im hoping that the positive elements of UYI are the elements that come to the fore in CD, if not then an entirely new direction
The thing is that Axls songwriting, is what is heavily associated with UYI for better or worse, and without the input of strong songwriters, (ie Izzy) we may well be in for a large serving of over-wrought /over-earnest Axl epics

Im hoping not though

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2005, 10:21:29 PM »

gotta agree there falcon,

Im hoping that the positive elements of UYI are the elements that come to the fore in CD, if not then an entirely new direction
The thing is that Axls songwriting, is what is heavily associated with UYI for better or worse, and without the input of strong songwriters, (ie Izzy) we may well be in for a large serving of over-wrought /over-earnest Axl epics

Im hoping not though

i don't think we will see another use your illusion, but if the chooses to go that route then that would definately not be a bad thing, as the illusions were a glimpse into the direction he wanted to go with his music.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: