Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 08:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The mixing/mastering of CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The mixing/mastering of CD  (Read 10254 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 05:21:52 PM »

Interesting topic, Jimmy. This is a topic that brings up a touchy subject:overproduction. If all this time is being spent doing what you've just described, CD is entering Def Leppard-Hysteria territory. More time was spent mixing and doing "finishing touches" than the band spent doing the music. The album really suffered for it too. It was way too polished and became dated very quickly, and Hysteria, although being one of the biggest selling albums of the 80's. is now basically irrelevant. Axl really needs to be careful with how much he tinkers with this album.

Jameslofton, I don't know about that one.  Hysteria sounded, and sounds pretty damn good.  It's always been my favorite Def Leppard album.  (I have the cassette Smiley

Also, to Falcon (in my opinion) to even suggest Maddy and The Blues are "unlistenable," suggests to me you are in a very, very small minority of Guns fans.  In my opinion, IRS, Maddy, and The Blues thrill the hell out of me, and basically explain my presence on this board!  AFD, Lies, Illusions, and part of TSI are all great, but the new shit is what keeps me here.  If IRS is the only new song that intrigues you, man, I just don't know what keeps you around here.  There's got to be something else...

On topic again with mixing/mastering, who knows?  From the split-seconds we have of The Blues and Madagascar off of the Boston radio commercial, the songs are powerful.  This whole thing is shrouded in mystery...I guess my answer is, "Only Axl knows."   peace 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2005, 05:30:46 PM »

Shocking truth is that?...that falcon's appraisal somewhat overlaps mine. Shocked
just a matter of taste.
I'd say blues n maddy are good songs. but musically they are not as interesting as the others.
IRS doesn't sound like AFD. it's more delicate to the feel and yet it is no more than an early rough demo.

The big difference is that I rate the sound of this incarnation even higher than that of the former. headbanger
just a matter of taste.
I guess I'm the very one in the miniority, for the time being (until the album surfaces)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2005, 06:28:41 PM »

The mixing, the mastering
the mix master mic, rocking the clubing
that you be feeling.

Mad is cool, and Blues is alright. IRS has potential, and I feel that its tight.

So fuck a reunion thats bullshit, Axl...speak dog, and he does, he says:

Wanna be me, you can't you faggot, you bitch
You coward, you clown, you just wanna be down
So you - wanna be me, you bitch, you phony
You clone me, you wanna be me son, I'm the one and only

And Slash, you can't be me, not in your wildest fantasy
It's childish; should I have to resort to violence?
Pay me a half a million, I'll consult your album
And show you how to stay off my dick
That's the thing I hate the most, can't even call you a man
When you gotta call out my name to get you some fans
No talent, you need direction; you a pussy with a yeast infection

Yea bitches.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2005, 07:50:38 PM »

If IRS is the only new song that intrigues you, man, I just don't know what keeps you around here.? There's got to be something else...

Well, there's allegedly 70? songs in the can so the possibility/probability of higher quality tunes than Maddy or The Blues is reason enough to hang around, don't you think?

I also want to see if Axl can bring it creatively, see his vision through with a finished record and tour.? I? enjoy Fincks inclusion in the band as well and would like to see if he and Axl can be a formidable artistic duo.

I'm afraid you maybe disappointed with CD then.? I don't think this will be a modern AFD.

I'm not looking for a "modern AFD", I'm fearing UYI 3...

As for mixing/mastering. send the fucker to Andy Wallace and let him do his magic.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 07:54:36 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 07:55:13 PM »

As for mixing/mastering. send the fucker to Andy Wallace and let him do his magic.

What about Mike Clink?  I am not even saying that because of his work with AFD.  I think what he did with Megadeth's Rust in Peace was just brilliant.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 08:09:42 PM »

What about Mike Clink?? I am not even saying that because of his work with AFD.? I think what he did with Megadeth's Rust in Peace was just brilliant.

Doubt that's even a possibility, too much "old band" linkage..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 08:52:07 PM »

Falcon, you're absolutely right! Rust in Peace was an absolute work of art. Its one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever made. Since you brought up the subject of that album, I have something to say about that type of music. After Illusions was released, and it was obvious that GNR had unlimited potential, I always thought they should make a record in the style of Megadeth's 'Rust in Peace' or Slayer's 'Seasons in the Abyss'. It would have been a major statement to make in the face of the grunge movement, and might have even killed the movement, and caused a mainstream "speed" metal movement. But unfortunately, it didnt happen. I'll always wonder what the fuck GNR was thinking about in 92-94. They did absolutely nothing to counteract what was going on in the industry.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 09:21:20 PM »

Falcon, you're absolutely right! Rust in Peace was an absolute work of art.

Sorry JL, wasn't me who mentioned Rust..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2005, 09:31:21 PM »

I agree that The Blues sounds like something off UYI and I think thats primarily Axls songwriting coming through there

IRS and Chinese Democracy excite me, people dont seem to mention Chinese Democracy so much, I reckon that has potential to be a strong modern rocker

I love The Blues, Madagascer to me is weak

It's hard to define what "overproduced" means - it can be a matter of too many tracks layered, but more worryingly, it's when there is too much of a studio sheen with the flaws, accidents, rawness and human-ness removed
What happens then is that music can sound soul less or "elevator-like"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 10:11:26 PM by jimmythegent » Logged

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2005, 09:35:34 PM »

..people dont seem to mention Chinese Democracy so much, I reckon that has potentila to be a strong modern rocker

I've been a strong advocate of CD as well, strip all the unnecessary synth out and you got something to build on.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2005, 09:39:41 PM »

Falcon, you're right, it was Axl owns Dexter. I didnt notice that until after I posted. Oh well, I'm right 99.9% of the time, I cant be perfect! LMAO!!

dustNroses
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2005, 09:44:59 PM »

It would be nice for CD to be produced by one person, Just to keep its sound right all the way through. Maybe alot of the extra songs will be B sides to the singles.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »

It would be nice for CD to be produced by one person, Just to keep its sound right all the way through.

I agree 100%.

Continuity and focus are a major piece of the equation for me so I'm hoping we don't have multiple
producers, co-producers and whatnot.

I believe the last known producer is Axl himself, can anyone confirm?? That's what I'm hoping for at least, it's his vision so I'd like to see him succeed or fail by his own sword.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2005, 10:14:07 PM »

It would be nice for CD to be produced by one person, Just to keep its sound right all the way through.

I agree 100%.

Continuity and focus are a major piece of the equation for me so I'm hoping we don't have multiple
producers, co-producers and whatnot.

I believe the last known producer is Axl himself, can anyone confirm?? That's what I'm hoping for at least, it's his vision so I'd like to see him succeed or fail by his own sword.

Yeah I mentioned that in response to one of Daves earlier posts. In order for an album to sound like an album there must be cohesion and consistency and the production and mixing (and of course playing) plays a big part

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2005, 11:02:12 PM »

You are in the miniority that don't like those songs.

So?

You wish the old band would get back together...

As usual, wrong.

I've never said/posted any wishes for a reunion, check my post history.? I'm fully content with what the other guys are doing and look forward to Axl's vision becoming a reality.?

..yet when the new band makes songs like found on an old album you bash them.?

If I didn't care for the old bands forays into the epic, heart on your sleave power ballad why the fuck would I make concessions for the new band?

You really need to get a life and stop bashing peoples taste in music that is not the same as yours. Get over yourself already. You have been doing this for years, its getting very old.

I've never bashed anyones taste in music, I've merely been consistent in my tastes and am very specific in what I like and dislike.

Just my opinion

Yes it is.

Obviously formulated without thought, research or fact.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

MikeB
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2005, 11:46:25 PM »

I never gave a damn about chinese democracy. In my opinion it's a make-believe album from a mind game Axl is playing on his fans. I know the guy doesn't care about his fans, he never did . I imagine Axl as the rock star of a kid trapped inside a man's body. Do you remember when being a little kid in school, waiting too long to hand in homework or abscence excuses , the teacher hollers at you because it's late? That's how Axl is as a musician now and same with before. He canceled the CD tour in 02 because he couldn't take the criticism from people how they were disappointed with the line-up and how his voice changed. I know Axl has made some songs with the new band but that's enough to make an album. Let's see there is Irs,Madagascar,The Blues,Oh My God,Chinese Democracy,Silk Worms,Prostitute,Catcher in Rye ,now correct me if I forgot other new songs. But the songs I mentioned, THERE IS EIGHT!There are albums in history that made it big with only 8 songs. Why is Axl so insecure about his music?
vicarious existence
Rocker

It's been 14 years of silence...

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2005, 11:58:36 PM »

I'll always wonder what the fuck GNR was thinking about in 92-94. They did absolutely nothing to counteract what was going on in the industry.
probably because Axl actually wanted to make a grunge album while the others didn't (and hence the differences in musical direction arose, and no album was made)

IamRyanDean: Axl just walked out on stage, dropped his pants, pissed all over the front row and then left.  mumbled somethign about "how is that for a leak fuckers"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2005, 12:02:18 AM »

I'll always wonder what the fuck GNR was thinking about in 92-94. They did absolutely nothing to counteract what was going on in the industry.
probably because Axl actually wanted to make a grunge album while the others didn't (and hence the differences in musical direction arose, and no album was made)

They made 8 songs in 1995/96

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2005, 11:54:26 AM »

They made 8 songs in 1995/96

where did you read this?

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »

Wanna be me, you can't you faggot, you bitch
You coward, you clown, you just wanna be down
So you - wanna be me, you bitch, you phony
You clone me, you wanna be me son, I'm the one and only

EMINEM? or John Cena?