Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:17:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The mixing/mastering of CD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The mixing/mastering of CD  (Read 10241 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« on: July 06, 2005, 11:42:54 PM »

IMO, the mixing and to a lesser extent the mastering of CD is one of the main reasons for the lengthy wait

In the NYT article, reference was made to a library's worth of archived recordings - there must be thousands upon thousands of tracks to wade through. The mixing process, or the piecing together of these tracks, must be a painstaking process - the volume, pitch, frequency and spacing of each track must be considered in relation to the tracks that it sits with...

I read an article with Bill Price recently and he talked about the mixing of November Rain and what an intricate, time consuming process that was. I think we're in broad agreement that there will be a lot of epics of this nature on CD, so that further adds to the monumental task at hand.

There are no doubt many other reasons for the amount of time (touch ups, legal probs, Axls perfectionism/obsessivness) but if the band has finished their respective parts, I'd say the mixing and mastering is going to take a long time.

What are peoples thoughts?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 11:52:46 PM »

IMO each person called into the studio to mix the album, mixed a certain set of songs. I dont think one person is going to mix/produce the whole album. Ie Beltremi (sp?) mixed a few songs, then that Buckmaster mixed a few songs, etc etc.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 11:58:44 PM »

IMO each person called into the studio to mix the album, mixed a certain set of songs. I dont think one person is going to mix/produce the whole album. Ie Beltremi (sp?) mixed a few songs, then that Buckmaster mixed a few songs, etc etc.

you could be right, although for the sake of consistency and coherance, I hope not

i think it's important that an album have a coherent "sound"

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 01:47:32 AM »

Interesting topic, Jimmy. This is a topic that brings up a touchy subject:overproduction. If all this time is being spent doing what you've just described, CD is entering Def Leppard-Hysteria territory. More time was spent mixing and doing "finishing touches" than the band spent doing the music. The album really suffered for it too. It was way too polished and became dated very quickly, and Hysteria, although being one of the biggest selling albums of the 80's. is now basically irrelevant. Axl really needs to be careful with how much he tinkers with this album.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 01:52:03 AM »

i don't think chinese democracy will neither sound dated or over-produced, as axl has more of a "mature" sound now it seems, and i think that's the type of mistakes he's trying to avoid. he doesn't want to do the illusions all over again, although they were great albums. axl's a man to move on and create new, not re-do what he's already done.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 01:59:33 AM »

August, maybe you're right. But you cant just discount what I just said, because its a definite possibility. Look at Illusions, GNR only worked on that for a little less than 2 years, and it was overpolished.

August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 02:07:12 AM »

well the use your illusions weren't supposed to be appetite, which was more of a basic rock n' roll type record, although brilliant and unique. but the illusions were supposed to sound different, that's what axl wanted, according to himself, to "bury" appetite in order to not re-do what he's already done. and now he wants to move on from the illusions, just like with appetite back in the day. you won't see another use your illusion record in regards to music, so i think the production will be different as well. axl knows that he has to do it that way. he stays up on things, he isn't "dated" or stuck back in the 80's like alot of other rockstars seem to be.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 02:18:15 AM »

From what we've heard, it's going to be a melting pot of influences and extremes - probably closer to some of the more rangey Illusions material I'd guess.

I hope it's not overproduced, and I hope it's got a timeless quality - I was worried a few years ago that it was going to be too informed by the industrial genre - I think Axls moved away from this a bit now though

Even choosing which tracks, be it guitar/ vocal/strings/keys parts out of the reported thousands, is going to be a vast task and an extremly time-consuming process, regardless of whether it's overproduced or not

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 07:45:41 AM »

I was worried a few years ago that it was going to be too informed by the industrial genre - I think Axls moved away from this a bit now though
I REALLY REALLY HOPE SO.
I wasn't worried about that...I was in pannic. Especially when I heard OMG and later Silkworms.

the blues, madagascar and IRS are much better quality songs though.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 07:59:37 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 07:57:40 AM »

No, Beltrami and Buckmaster didn't mixed/produced the songs, but they orchestrated.

I really don't think Axl would be that stupid to just put an overproduced album. Hell, anyone would think that it could be overproduced. Don't you think Axl would be careful with that?

I was worried a few years ago that it was going to be too informed by the industrial genre - I think Axls moved away from this a bit now though
I REALLY REALLY HOPE SO.
I wasn't worried about that...I was in pannic. Especially when I heard OMG and later Silkworms.
Axl already saind back in 2001 that he will not make an industrial album. I dunno why some of you are still so worried about that...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 08:01:05 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 08:48:45 AM »

Axl already saind back in 2001 that he will not make an industrial album
Huh really? I wasn't aware of that. Do you have the interview?

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 11:07:38 AM »

I really dont think CD will have an overproduced sound. Its sounds like Axl has "educated" himself with various types of musical technoligies over the years and Im sure he knows what sound he wants for the album. and he will achieve that sound

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »

I really don't think Axl would be that stupid to just put an overproduced album.

You never intentionally set out to make an overproduced album. Overproduction takes place when you do things like sit in a studio for 10 years working on the same album.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 12:56:35 PM »

I really dont think CD will have an overproduced sound. Its sounds like Axl has "educated" himself with various types of musical technoligies over the years and Im sure he knows what sound he wants for the album. and he will achieve that sound

definately, i agree with you on that one.

yeah but Axl has this vision in his mind of what he wants the sound to be and can't acheive it in a reasonable amount of time, the odds of overproduction is likely.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 03:07:54 PM »

Over produced is an overrated term. The UYIs sounded fine. All over produced means is the songs sound polished and perfect and not raw and have mistakes.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 04:12:58 PM »

you won't see another use your illusion record in regards to music, so i think the production will be different as well. axl knows that he has to do it that way. he stays up on things, he isn't "dated" or stuck back in the 80's like alot of other rockstars seem to be.

That's my biggest issue with the originals we've heard from the new band.  Maddy and The Blues just reak of UYI era schlock to me.  I find them both virtually unlistenable.  I realize some are just so hungry for new stuff they've really latched onto these 2, some even hailing them as "instant classics".  That's cool, objectivity can be thrown out the window when dealing with a rabid, material starved fanbase.

My hopes are with IRS and a path in that direction, lot's of potential there.

Just my opinion..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 04:27:18 PM »

you won't see another use your illusion record in regards to music, so i think the production will be different as well. axl knows that he has to do it that way. he stays up on things, he isn't "dated" or stuck back in the 80's like alot of other rockstars seem to be.

That's my biggest issue with the originals we've heard from the new band.? Maddy and The Blues just reak of UYI era schlock to me.? I find them both virtually unlistenable.? I realize some are just so hungry for new stuff they've really latched onto these 2, some even hailing them as "instant classics".? That's cool, objectivity can be thrown out the window when dealing with a rabid, material starved fanbase.

Just my opinion..

You are in the miniority that don't like those songs. People like you crack me up. You wish the old band would get back together yet when the new band makes songs like found on an old album you bash them.? You really need to get a life and stop bashing peoples taste in music that is not the same as yours. Get over yourself already. You have been doing this for years, its getting very old.

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 04:32:11 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 04:34:47 PM »

That's my biggest issue with the originals we've heard from the new band.  Maddy and The Blues just reak of UYI era schlock to me.  I find them both virtually unlistenable.  I realize some are just so hungry for new stuff they've really latched onto these 2, some even hailing them as "instant classics".  That's cool, objectivity can be thrown out the window when dealing with a rabid, material starved fanbase.

Just my opinion..

I'm afraid you maybe disappointed with CD then.  I don't think this will be a modern AFD.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 04:45:08 PM »

I agree this is going to sound nothing like AFD and if that's what certain people are hoping for, it aint gonna happen.  Just from what we have heard so far to me nothing sounds like AFD or UYI's.  Even The Blues, I like the song but I don't hear the finesse like the Illusions ballads had but that could be cause it's live boot and not a studio version.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »

Axl already saind back in 2001 that he will not make an industrial album
Huh really? I wasn't aware of that. Do you have the interview?

R&P: Is your new material more industrial? We hear that it is not very similar to that of your old band.

Axl: It is not industrial, the closest thing to that was perhaps Oh My God, but there are some songs that won't be on the album that were this way. There will be all kinds of styles, many influences as blues, mixed in the songs. But not so much inspiration of Aerosmith or AC/DC that was used on Appetite. Buckethead, his first influence and the reason why he grabbed a guitar for the first time was Angus Young of AC/DC. Several of the boys love to play AC/DC. It is only we will play other styles. When we tried writing songs in the old style of Guns N' Roses, they sounded too old, they didn't sound so alive. We could not make that. And I think that that also passed with the old Guns N' Roses. The songs composed by the boys for another album many years ago, everything sounded old. Then we tried to explore to maintain the band alive.

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=38

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: