Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 09:12:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose and Syd Barrett
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose and Syd Barrett  (Read 6397 times)
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »

When you get down to it, the best comparison for Axl is Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.? Here's a guy who once had sand from the beach brought into a sandbox in the studio so a piano could sit in it and give the music more of a "beach" sound.? It took him over 20 years to release his supposed masterpiece, Smile.? He left a successful band and is immensely talented.? If that's not Axl's soul mate I don't know who is?

Great, compare axl to someone who is rumored to have a passion for little kids !!!! rant rant

what next ?

where did u get Brian Wilson likes little kids??  Shocked I've never heard that before

Yes, dammit, I WILL be Mrs. Axl Rose someday soon....
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 03:27:07 PM »

Well, Jessica, they are both from Indiana.? MJ is trying to be white and Axl, with the braids and football jerseys, is looking kind of black.? Both have had some work done on their faces.? Both recluses and eccentrics.? Both pissed away early success.? Need I go on?

I don't think Axl is "trying to be black", and as a black person I take offense to your stereotyping.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 03:54:57 PM »

Thr Ric Flair/Axl Rose tag team will disintegrate during their first shot at the titles. During the first ten minutes of the match, the crowd will start chanting,"Axl Rose is a Playa Hater", causing Axl to go berserk. He then jumps into the crowd, to bust a few asses, but accidentally punches Linda Mcmahon. This chain of events will cause Vince Mcmahon to challenge Axl Rose to a 'Hell in a Cell Match' at Summerslam. But due to the fact that Slash is rumored to have bought a ticket to the event, the match is moved backstage and no video cameras are allowed to tape this main event. The public never gets to find out the winner of this match. The press release announcing the winner mysteriously disappears, sparking rumors it got locked inside Axl's vault. LMAO!!

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 03:58:01 PM »

A stunning turn of events!!!  rofl rofl rofl

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
MikeB
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 04:32:17 PM »

I don't think Axl's trying to be black at all, in my opinion he didn't get work done on his face. If he was going ghetto he would rather wear Fubu jerseys, he just wears regular NFL jerseys. And as far as the braids go , I don't blame him. Long hair is cool but can be a pain in the ass to care for , so instead of cutting it he just has braids put in , no big deal you can wash them out. Rappers stole the bandanna thing off of rockers .
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 04:58:35 PM »

I don't think Axl's trying to be black at all, in my opinion he didn't get work done on his face. If he was going ghetto he would rather wear Fubu jerseys, he just wears regular NFL jerseys. And as far as the braids go , I don't blame him. Long hair is cool but can be a pain in the ass to care for , so instead of cutting it he just has braids put in , no big deal you can wash them out. Rappers stole the bandanna thing off of rockers .

Boy you people really sterotype black people on this board don't you??  Some of you are very ignorant.  Wearing Fubu doesn't make u ghetto, wearing jersey's doesn't make you ghetto.

And as much stuff white people have stolen from black people (ELVIS), so what if rappers wear bandannas.

Either way, Axl Rose is not trying to be black, he is just being HIMSELF, which a lot of you seem to have a hard time dealing with.  These so-called comparisions are absolutely ridiculous.  The reason why Axl is legendary is b/c he is unique, not b/c he is a clone of somebody else.

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »

When you get down to it, the best comparison for Axl is Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. ?Here's a guy who once had sand from the beach brought into a sandbox in the studio so a piano could sit in it and give the music more of a "beach" sound. ?It took him over 20 years to release his supposed masterpiece, Smile. ?He left a successful band and is immensely talented. ?If that's not Axl's soul mate I don't know who is?

Brians band stayed together 20 years after Smile and released about 10 records after Smile too. They also released 2 records the same year Smile was supposed to be released-1967, and 2 more in 1968.

Axl would be flattered to be compared to Brian Wilson, but noone in the press believes Axl can write music so the comparision will never happen.

The rumor of Brian liking kids was because of the song Hey Little Tomboy It was meant as a joke because they suspected their manager of being gay.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »

Cool your jets people, it was a joke. ?It was a sarcastic response to an ignorant post. ?Wow, that really got some of you upset. ?What if the new album turns out to be rap? ?Flava Flave is Bucketheads replacement, "Welcome to the Jungle, Boyeeee!" ?I bet that sends a shiver down your spines. ?

How is that a stereotype, Mrs.? ?Almost every hip hop/rap video I see there are blacks wearing sports jerseys. ?If it is a stereotype, it's not a bad one. ?"Oh my gosh, black people like sports, what a shame." ?(Sarcasm note for the sarcastic impaired)
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 05:38:19 PM »

Cool your jets people, it was a joke. ?It was a sarcastic response to an ignorant post. ?Wow, that really got some of you upset. ?What if the new album turns out to be rap? ?Flava Flave is Bucketheads replacement, "Welcome to the Jungle, Boyeeee!" ?I bet that sends a shiver down your spines. ?

How is that a stereotype, Mrs.? ?Almost every hip hop/rap video I see there are blacks wearing sports jerseys. ?If it is a stereotype, it's not a bad one. ?"Oh my gosh, black people like sports, what a shame." ?(Sarcasm note for the sarcastic impaired)

I am so not even going to get into why its stereotypical, b/c if you don't understand why, I'm not going to waste my breath(or my fingers in this case) to explain it to you

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 05:45:31 PM »

Look, I am a teacher and teach kids of all color, so I am not racist.  Not that you said I was but to just clarify.  I can see how the jersey thing is a stereotype but in the grand scheme of things is it a battle worth fighting?  It would be like me getting upset about black comedians and all the whites can't dance stuff.  It's not a big deal until you make it a big deal. 
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005, 05:49:27 PM »

Look, I am a teacher and teach kids of all color, so I am not racist.? Not that you said I was but to just clarify.? I can see how the jersey thing is a stereotype but in the grand scheme of things is it a battle worth fighting?? It would be like me getting upset about black comedians and all the whites can't dance stuff.? It's not a big deal until you make it a big deal.?

which is why I am not going to try to explain it; but I hate to hear all that stuff, "Axl is trying to be black b/c he wears jersey's" I think its ridiculous

and I didn't call anyone racist.......ignorant maybe(not necessarily you in particular), but not racist

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2005, 05:54:03 PM »

How did you get turned on to GNR?
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2005, 05:56:03 PM »

How did you get turned on to GNR?

I started liking them in 1987 when I first saw the video for WTTJ on MTV, and have been a huge fan ever since then

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »

If htis offends then don't answer, but what was your reaction to One in a Million? 
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2005, 06:08:22 PM »

If htis offends then don't answer, but what was your reaction to One in a Million??

I was only 12 back then, so I honestly don't remember all the hoopla, now that I am older and look back on it, Axl made a mistake.  I give him credit though, he did go and do research on Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X.  I don't think he's racist, or homophobic, but he probably could have used a better choice of words.  Other than those lyrics, I do like the song, and I do think Axl learned a lesson.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »

I was only 12 back then, so I honestly don't remember all the hoopla, now that I am older and look back on it, Axl made a mistake.  I give him credit though, he did go and do research on Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X.  I don't think he's racist, or homophobic, but he probably could have used a better choice of words.  Other than those lyrics, I do like the song, and I do think Axl learned a lesson.
cool. I agree with you on what you says in this thread. Off topic tho.

This might sound offensive to you again (sorry if it is) but how nice to see an Afro fan of GN'R! Cheesy
unfortunately I haven't seen many.
MikeB
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2005, 09:31:57 PM »

I don't mean this concern of mine? in a racist way, but how come black people are so sensitive and protective about themselves? I'm raised by an irish-catholic family and they are highly criticized by other people? but I don't give a flying fuck. By the way not all rappers are black, haven't you ever heard of Eminem?  It doesn't take the color of the skin to be ghetto.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 09:35:44 PM by MikeB » Logged
mrsaxlrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2005, 10:09:55 PM »

I don't mean this concern of mine? in a racist way, but how come black people are so sensitive and protective about themselves? I'm raised by an irish-catholic family and they are highly criticized by other people? but I don't give a flying fuck. By the way not all rappers are black, haven't you ever heard of Eminem?? It doesn't take the color of the skin to be ghetto.

I'm not sensitive or protective, I just can't stand the stereotypes, especially b/c rappers don't represent the majority of the black community, but that's how the majority of non-black people may think we are since rappers are in the media all too often, and its usually not positive

ok, I didn't mean for that to be a run-on sentence but oh well Smiley

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2005, 10:13:42 PM »

Yeah, Vanilla Mike, we know not all rapper are black, nobody said they were.  At any rate, white rappers, chinese rappers, Indian rappers, etc. all pretty much dress in a similar fashion.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2005, 11:31:16 PM »

If htis offends then don't answer, but what was your reaction to One in a Million??

It's probably been discussed countless times in another thread but I find the whole One in a million discussion fascinating and the song itself fascinating.
I was about 12-13 as well when that controversy arose and at the time I pretty much blindly defended Axl

These days I tend to think he showed poor judgment, however, if Axls being truthful in saying he 'adopted' a character that didnt represent his own beliefs to make a point, I think he wrote a very powerful song that forces us to consider issues that make people feel comfortable.

However, he seemed to contradict himself in the rationale he gave so it's a bit hard to assume there weren't some of his own beliefs/prejudices being expressed

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: